Wawa Flooding

Panther340

A few of you folks that frequent the Wawa in winter might recognize this spot. ....google wawa flooding highway closures to see story ,,,tons of rain yesterday. post-22163-0-17789900-1351263759_thumb.jpg

or go to sootoday.com today for story http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=49008

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes! That's not good for anybody! Hope everyone's OK. No wonder traffic is so light from the east today.

I saw the news article from Soo via twitter but not the photo.

Also hope that everyone's okay.

__

Update: This is serious folks. You'll soon hear about hotels being washed out; logging roads destroyed by beaver dams releasing tons of water, etc. If anyone has contacts in the Ontario government for 'emergency' repairs, please suggest that not only should roads be repaired but also the tourism infrastructure (snowmobile trails). States of emergency have been declared by municipalities, but I wonder how a prorogued government will respond to this.

Here are some more photos

post-19700-0-64740800-1351280080_thumb.j

post-19700-0-31712900-1351280087_thumb.j

post-19700-0-57041300-1351280093_thumb.j

post-19700-0-22648500-1351280104_thumb.j

post-19700-0-44499300-1351280113_thumb.j

post-19700-0-40600100-1351280120_thumb.j

post-19700-0-47533200-1351280126_thumb.j

post-19700-0-03024100-1351280133_thumb.j

thats right out in front of the northern lights motel (Mo and John), also ford dealer next door. Mo had a flooding problem years ago in the spring, and warned the mnr/mto about the problem. i guess the govt is finding out how big of a problem it really is. thank god, no one was hurt.

bad part is... that road will be closed for months, if they even start working on it before the snows come. man, that will REALLY hurt the northern communities. ski

That is horrendous!

Certainly hope there were no injuries. Dalton the dimwit better get some aid up there pronto!

as an aside. The MNR can hold a property owner financially responsible should you not take corrective action towards a beaver dam on your property deemed to be likely to wash out a road should it burst or overflow. Pretty serious stuff.

The MNR can hold a property owner financially responsible should you not take corrective action towards a beaver dam on your property deemed to be likely to wash out a road should it burst or overflow. Pretty serious stuff.

So are you saying that a property owner should "remove" the source of the potential problem?

this wasnt caused by beavers. Ski

So are you saying that a property owner should "remove" the source of the potential problem?

Yep wipe out greenpeace. They caused the end of the beaver trapping.

Now back to subject. There needs to be significant resources allocated to this NOW! I am sure that the three parties in parliment would agree to that.

Yep wipe out greenpeace. They caused the end of the beaver trapping.

Now back to subject. There needs to be significant resources allocated to this NOW! I am sure that the three parties in parliment would agree to that.

If it was Toronto they would have spent millions by now. Lucky if they send help by Monday morning. Look at how they handled the mall crises in Elliot lake. Shameful I tell yeah.

ya and end up with a huge fine and jail time......

What they (MNR) expect is for you the property owner to at your expense or time.. Mitigate the potential for a dam to burst and wash out a road or cause a sinkhole. By that, they expect you to drain the dam or pond or channel water away to a suitable location.

Incidentally there are still a handful licensed to trap in the Province.

Read this kind of bleary eyed this morning and thought that the Best Northern had slid into a hole - would have been really large;

post-19713-0-46693000-1351330322_thumb.j

Wonder how bad the damage was at Michipicoten - just north of the picture on the highway.

As sledders, if you haven't bought your trail passes yet, help support the Wawa and D'ville clubs by buying from them this year.

The decline for the demand for beaver began in the mid 1800's due to silk becoming more popular for making hats. Blame those limp wristed fashionistas in Europe.

slomo, you are on the wrong side of the damage. the best northern and the roadway (south of wawa) didnt get damaged.... the northern lights motel north of town on 17, and the ford dealer next door are damaged. they have trail 3 running through there property. but, you cant access dub, or hornepayne by hwy 17. ski

slomo, you are on the wrong side of the damage. the best northern and the roadway (south of wawa) didnt get damaged.... the northern lights motel north of town on 17, and the ford dealer next door are damaged. they have trail 3 running through there property. but, you cant access dub, or hornepayne by hwy 17. ski

Did not word my post properly - Yes,pic is on wrong side of damage - the turn off to Michipicoten Village is just up the way from here and the town site is located in a low area. Flooding and some wash outs there as well according to reports I've read.

CTV was reporting that Michipicoten was totally cut off from everything..and that Emergency Measures Ontario and the OPP were evacuating by helicopter the very elderly or those that are I'll, just in case. CTV also reported that they would likely have one lane re opened within a couple days to allow access. Survey crews are still assessing damage, but they went on to say that it isn't likely too widespread. It was just the amount of rainfall in such a condensed time frame and the drainage for that area. The Mayor was quoted as stating that the roads and infrastructure was in "quite good shape" prior to this incident.

You know...if Mayor Mel called in the Military to clear the streets of Toronto all those years ago...why not call them in now and bulldoze an emergency road around this mess. There is no fire protection or EMS response for those affected around this nightmare.

Parts are worse then have been reported.

I have several cousins in Wawa and the Harbor.

Our family has lost so many memories, the Northern Lights hotel my cousins ex wife, her grandfater built the place, plus at least 1 house that we know of so far that cousins own has be somewhat washed away.

Parts are worse then have been reported.

I have several cousins in Wawa and the Harbor.

Our family has lost so many memories, the Northern Lights hotel my cousins ex wife, her grandfater built the place, plus at least 1 house that we know of so far that cousins own has be somewhat washed away.

So sad to hear of those that this has hit home with!

Here is hope that this can get cleaned up fast and people can begin to rebuild.

So sad to hear of those that this has hit home with!

Here is hope that this can get cleaned up fast and people can begin to rebuild.

Talking with some cousins tonight, things are calming down some.

They all realize that the most important thing is that no one was hurt in all of this.

Out at the harbor those still there are helping each other out.

The owners of Northern Lights Motel started a webpage describing their ordeal and also has a few pics of construction as they reapir the highway infront of them.

Mo seems to have a positive outlook despite the devastation. I wonder what happened to the Snowgage girl and beer cases ?

http://www.nlmotel.com/flood.htm

Of all the hwy 17 KMs, what are the odds of it worshing out in an "improved" spot?

Good luck on rebuilding next yr Mo!

(If and when you git around to reading this h'yah thread.)

Archived