Late Season OC Ride and Gathering

sledjunk

Late Winter Ride  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in an OC Ride based in Wawa around March 15?

2. 2. If you do attend, how many days would you expect to spend in Wawa?

3. 3. Are you available to assist with the planning and arrangements?

• Yes, and I am local.
    • Yes, but I am not local.
    • Sorry, I can't help.
  4. 4. How many people will be in your group and will you have any extra space for carpooling?

• Just me and I am full.
    • Just me but I have space for 1 more.
    • Just me but I have space for 2 more.
    • Just me but I have space for 3 more.
    • Two of us and I am full.
    • Two of us but I have space for 1 more.
    • Two of us but I have space for 2 more.
    • Three of us and I am full.
    • Three of us but I have space for 1 more.
    • Four of us and I am full.
    • Just me and I am looking for a ride
    • Just me and I will be travelling with someone else
    • Other (Please post a comment)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the area is green again...

RE: Saturday KL-Elk Lake loop

For whoever is interested, what time do you normally head out? I will be trailering down from Kirkland Lake and want to time it right.

Is 9 am too early, too late for take-off from NL?

Should be about the right time. Especially considering the possible lack of lube in the early morning.

One inch of snow last night so ice scratchers are not required. :)

I saw a groomer on local Earlton trail yesterday, table-top smooth. Almost brought a tear to my eye!

Lack of lube????????????

STG?????????????

Where are you???????????

Last I heard he was consoling a sobbing person on my front Porch.Something about not being able to keep big wood under control. :headbang:

howdy oc ers in New Liskeard. Decided to come up and destroy what's left of my carbides. Sent a PM to sledjunk - but also posting in case he went off the trail again - was wondering if there is any gathering tonight (Friday) for snacks and drinks.

Was out for a short boot this afternoon - trails hard but with plenty of lube - I have ice scrapers but didn't need them. Headed out the A107Q then returned, followed to river but unsure as to safety of ice so back checking the interactive map.

I am in the budget motel recommended by Irreverent on one of his trips - good place for the money and right on the trail, next to Quality Inn. Lots of room!

Can't vouch for the ice thickness but the New Liskeard Club's website (http://www.mikrolink.com/ttst/index.php) mentions rough ice conditions on the river due to frozen slush.

Trails

Update: March 13, 2013

The trails have held up well despite the rain we received.

All trails are open except for the Wabi River.

The Wabi River is very rough from slush re-freezing and should be avoided.

L185/L186 is the suggested route to bypass the river.

See you tomorrow :)

Trails are GREAT!!!!!!!!

Can't vouch for the ice thickness but the New Liskeard Club's website (http://www.mikrolink.../ttst/index.php) mentions rough ice conditions on the river due to frozen slush.

Trails

Update: March 13, 2013

The trails have held up well despite the rain we received.

All trails are open except for the Wabi River.

The Wabi River is very rough from slush re-freezing and should be avoided.

L185/L186 is the suggested route to bypass the river.

See you tomorrow :)

Thanks for the link - makes sense to what I saw- river is indeed bumpy and remember London Calling and someone else making mention of slush and in some cases close by open water. It looks like you cross under the bridge that hwy 11 passes over the river. Ice looked pretty sunken in while I was there,,,,

post-19713-0-39022800-1363422935_thumb.j

Trails are GREAT!!!!!!!!

Arrived around 2 pm, asked at motel 'where's the trail?" and got two conflicting answers..neither correct.....it runs through parking lot of this motel (at the blue box) and the other three -Quality Inn, Holiday Inn, Econolodge so no problem with trail access. First time in two.5 months I've had the passenger seat off the sled....

post-19713-0-69041500-1363422937_thumb.j

Happy to find any trail, head out on this one....gives an idea as to trail surfaces ...

post-19713-0-53414600-1363422939_thumb.j

variety of fields...

post-19713-0-76470700-1363422941_thumb.j

and woods....

post-19713-0-15467900-1363422944_thumb.j

post-19713-0-48353400-1363422946_thumb.j

It was here an old man with a long gray beard holding a staff stepped out on the trail and asked me three riddles - I could only get two of them...so I turned around...

post-19713-0-35770800-1363422933_thumb.j

vista of river valley....

post-19713-0-35053000-1363423890_thumb.j

Going to be cold today....will likely go putting around on my own ....maybe south to start and hope to meet folks later in the evening...

I had a great sun filled ride with a few other OC members yesterday. Sledjunk led the group from the Quality Inn as we headed out at around 9:15 am on a +/- 300 km loop in the lazy-hazy morning sun. The first leg from New Liskeard north to Kirkland Lake was taken via A107Q east right from the hotel where 10 minutes into the ride, I noticed my electric visor was starting to frost-up in the -22C temps. I took the opportunity to change the fuse when White Dragon and his riding buddy fell back to adjust something, winterwear I think. With my visor working again and WD caught-up we headed up the wide snow covered Blanche River on L191 to join SJ, IQ Turbo and his father-in-law who had stopped to wait for us. The farm field trails on the way were in great shape, full of fresh packed snow and the occasional drifting which only added to the fun. This minor drifting was going to pop up now and again throughout the wide open farm field trails in the Earlton area.

We continued up the Blanche under a few road and railway bridges along the sometimes choppy river ice that quickly brought us to the A108Q up on through Earlton and Englehart for gas. An unexpected launch off a two foot high drift proved to add a little reason for discussion as the leaders waited for the others to jump it. Further north, the trail beside the old Ag-Nor Yamaha dealer in Earlton that I saw groomed Friday after work was drifted over and looked like it had not been groomed in days. Still fun to ride though and much better than a lack of snow.

North of Englehart after our on-trail gas stop, the trail slowly changed from farm fields to bush roads and power lines. A short section north of a little community called Boston Creek is particularly twisty, windy with a lot of rollers = fun but slow for me. I haven't tweaked the suspension to deliver optimum handling yet as I get a lot of body roll and ski-lift in the corners. I'll probably get it perfect the day before I sell it! At a short stop in Boston Creek, SJ asked me to lead the group through the local trails to get to our lunch destination. I suggested the Federal Tavern a few blocks west and one block south of the A108Q and L102 intersection east of town. The food was not as good as usual for me at least. The fried food is normally a lot crispier without turning as black. I think they should switch to semi-synthetic!

I'll post more later unless some of the others post first to finish-off the trip or add detail. I'm heading to Sudbury to return the birthday boy to University.

Here's a morning shot of the group south of Englehart.

IMG-20130316-00213_zps3ed62cd3.jpg

Thanks for the report Ultrafrozen and Slomo. I didn't get a chance to meet either of you. I rode there Thursday/Friday and came home Saturday morning. It was great riding with Sled Junk, Ontario F7, IQ turbo and his father-in-law, Canuck and his wife. It was great meeting White Drangon and his friend. I hope we can all ride again next year along with other OC members. Thanks for organizing the trip SJ and leading the pack.

Thanks indeed, Sledjunk. A well executed trip. Mint trails and lots of laughs.

Re:Leaf, the brown pops you left behind did not go to waste. ;-) . Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed them :-) Lets do it again next season.

This was the first time I read this post. If y'all do a similar run next year, you can count me in. I've now got a sled that's trail-speed worthy, so I'll be able to ride with the big kids.... once I've finished testing and adjusting everything properly on it .... Might make myself a 3-day weekend of it, and spend time with the parents in K.L. at the same time. Don't see them near enough.

Nice report Andre. Yeah, that A108 between Englehart and the slimes South of K.L. sure are a blast, just the kind of scenic ride that I like. Not near enough trails like that up here in Hearst, too straight and flat for my tastes.

Archived