tricky

Well i think the X3 is the better choice for the day lol

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 2/26/2024 at 10:46 AM, 4mysled said:

we are heading up to KL Tuesday night, staying overnight and hoping to sled to Cochrane Wed. night, Hearst Thursday, Friday Iroquois Falls, Sat back to KL. all Tentative at the moment. any idea how the trails are around Kap, as the OFSC is showing as yellow, just wanting to know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Hoping the Tuesday thunderstorm does not wipe out trails. 

Did you stick with this plan? If so, could you give us and update or two from your trip?

On 2/26/2024 at 3:58 PM, tricky said:

I just received the bail out email from my buddy. My Wife(she who must be obayed) says I can't go alone. Will somebody heading north in the next 2 days allow me to tell her that I'm riding with them, in case she wants 'proof' that I am not riding alone? The ruse is more important than actual riding partners, but I would try to ride with another group, if available. I am neither fast, nor slow, and neither a party animal or a wall flower. I feel the season slipping away.

Sorry can't go now but would be nterested in next year if you need someone.
My off time varies get a month every 9 weeks basically.  Good luck 

Got into Kirkland lake about midnight. Was approx 5 degrees. It is now 7:45 and it’s minus 2 with a thunderstorm and some lightning along with ice pellets. Not sure about the trails. Looked thin and a lot of snirt. Going out shortly to take stock on the trails and talk to locals. Lightning just hit the telephone pole outside the hotel and the in room heater sparked   As I was sitting next to it. THIS IS CRAZY. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 4mysled said:

Got into Kirkland lake about midnight. Was approx 5 degrees. It is now 7:45 and it’s minus 2 with a thunderstorm and some lightning along with ice pellets. Not sure about the trails. Looked thin and a lot of snirt. Going out shortly to take stock on the trails and talk to locals. Lightning just hit the telephone pole outside the hotel and the in room heater sparked   As I was sitting next to it. THIS IS CRAZY. 

Yikes   

1 hour ago, 4mysled said:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to report. WOW, that is crazy! Where did you stay in KL? Good luck with the rest of your trip.

We have reservations in Rouyn again for tomorow     BIL is in Amos   called and said really don't bother   trails are disappearing fast   probably change plans  Northern Ont ?  or just stay home LOL

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

We have reservations in Rouyn again for tomorow     BIL is in Amos   called and said really don't bother   trails are disappearing fast   probably change plans  Northern Ont ?  or just stay home LOL

I've been watching the radar for the last 24 hours. Looks like the heavy rains travelled deep into Quebec. Kirkland Lake seems to be on the edge getting rain, freezing rain and snow. Its been snow on the north side of Kirkland Lake. Cochrane is getting hit hard with snow right now.

Englehart got heavy rains this morning.

IMG_7458.thumb.png.c1d019dfc13a44d86cda9df6c8dc3780.png

Headed to KL friday morning for one last boot, as we were planning on doing Quebec but cancelled it now. 

Looks like Cochrane is getting 5 cms per hour as we speak ... 

• Like 3

24 hours later 

IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

• Sad 5

7 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

and Kap is getting snow as well   

The triangle of Timmins/ Kap and Cochrane seems to be getting the biggest amounts with Hearst and Kirkland Lake on the outsides.

I seen several posts on Facebook yesterday of people trying to book accommodations in Cochrane and everything was full except the NAI.

Then people were asking how bad is the NAI?    lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you're there to ride - all you need is a place to take a dump and put your head down - on your own pillow though.

Go ride if you can - who cares about the accomodations.

We have people all over this country LIVING in tents! :)

• Like 3

Made the drive to KL this morning.  

All the way to south of Temagami was light to heavy rain.  plus 9 south of Temagami. 

North of Temagami temp started dropping.  

Roads were okay to NL. 
By NL it was -14 and freezing rain.  

After NL to 112 cutoff we drove on white ice with heavy heavy winds.  Trailer was pushed and wagged sideways and pulled truck a few times.  

60kph drive from NL to Kirkland.

Cutoff at 112 into KL was whiteouts.  

probably 6” of snow on road in KL.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

thanks for the report I bet that was a harrowing drive into kl let us know how the trails are

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Made the drive to KL this morning.  

All the way to south of Temagami was light to heavy rain.  plus 9 south of Temagami. 

North of Temagami temp started dropping.  

Roads were okay to NL. 
By NL it was -14 and freezing rain.  

After NL to 112 cutoff we drove on white ice with heavy heavy winds.  Trailer was pushed and wagged sideways and pulled truck a few times.  

60kph drive from NL to Kirkland.

Cutoff at 112 into KL was whiteouts.  

probably 6” of snow on road in KL.   

Thanks for the report.

Highway 11 was closed this afternoon.  

Trails were good.  3 to 4” of fresh snow on top of hard icy pack.  

Rode 134km this aft.  Unfortunately 20km of my trip was pulling a 2024 Polaris Boost with 70km on the first engine.  

I guess the second engine will be better next year.   

saw a groomer out this evening. Should be good to go.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Can anyone share some firsthand experience on conditions in KL.  We rode from Elk Lake to Gogama yesterday.  Snow levels were very thin.  Some sections of trail were great, but some were really tough.

We are supposed to go to Iroquois Falls via Cochrane today, then back down to Elk Lake tomorrow but with the warm forecast are thinking about turning back today to ensure we can make it back to the trucks.

I’m just wondering if maybe we are on the fringe of where all the snow fell earlier in the week.

3 hours ago, Fergie said:

Can anyone share some firsthand experience on conditions in KL.  I’m just wondering if maybe we are on the fringe of where all the snow fell earlier in the week.

X2. I am hoping that someone riding KL to Hearst this extended weekend can report on Monday what conditions still exist, if anything?

9 hours ago, Fergie said:

Can anyone share some firsthand experience on conditions in KL.  We rode from Elk Lake to Gogama yesterday.  Snow levels were very thin.  Some sections of trail were great, but some were really tough.

We are supposed to go to Iroquois Falls via Cochrane today, then back down to Elk Lake tomorrow but with the warm forecast are thinking about turning back today to ensure we can make it back to the trucks.

I’m just wondering if maybe we are on the fringe of where all the snow fell earlier in the week.

We rode down from Kirkland Lake to Elk Lake on the A for lunch today. Riding in the morning, everything was fine. From the junction of A and A110Q to the junction A and L162 has been groomed and is in good condition with a few thin spot where it crosses rough terrain. Below L162 there has been no grooming since before the melt down. It’s about a 40 km stretch from there to Elk Lake. The upper half saw a lot more snow than  the lower half. The A trail runs on the River now on the north side of town (not on land like it shows on the OFSC map). The hill climb off the river was ice mud and rock this afternoon. That lower section was turning grey coming back this afternoon with small bare sections. The snow was soft and the trails were still decent but the traffic was taking a toll. The trails around Kirkland Lake are patchy, mostly still snow but slushy with bare spots. We were done by 330. Still warm and sunny out.

My buddy and I were pretty surprised at how fast the trails were deteriorating in the afternoon.

We are heading home in the morning. I don’t think there is a good ride near here tomorrow afternoon but there are plenty of people in Cochrane who are riding back to Kirkland Lake tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/28/2024 at 7:39 PM, Sksman said:

Rode 134km this aft.  Unfortunately 20km of my trip was pulling a 2024 Polaris Boost with 70km on the first engine.  

Good meeting you and your buddy today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tricky said:

X2. I am hoping that someone riding KL to Hearst this extended weekend can report on Monday what conditions still exist, if anything?

Sorry to say Rick it's done. We rode Kap to Timmins today and there is no S in the snirt.  That was 4 hrs ago 

PXL_20240302_153608727.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

On 2/28/2024 at 7:39 PM, Sksman said:

Yikes hopefully Polaris covers engine and doesn't try to blame gas etc 🙏