Trakmaps no longer available in Ontario?

scottyr

Just read over on DooTalk that the OFSC is no longer sharing trail updates with Trakmaps.     This is total BS IMO.    

I know the OFSC app is cool and everything but I want the option of using my GPS instead of having my iphone out in the cold all the time.   

That really sucks, I use my GPS all the time

Something makes me think that BRP is paying HUGE money for the data to run BRP-GO  and in turn has said no else can have access to the trail updates.   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Just read over on DooTalk that the OFSC is no longer sharing trail updates with Trakmaps.     This is total BS IMO.    

I know the OFSC app is cool and everything but I want the option of using my GPS instead of having my iphone out in the cold all the time.   

Agree, total BS. I was going to buy updated map this year. Been using older map for a couple of years and many trails have moved in my riding area. I would send Trakmaps updates off my GPS so they can do updates.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Something makes me think that BRP is paying HUGE money for the data to run BRP-GO  and in turn has said no else can have access to the trail updates.   

No, won't be that.  Lawyers and risk management will be the issue.  That or OFSC wanting to be able to dhut the mapping down in the off season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I dont know why this is bugging me so much?    But I am really pissed about this.    

I just bought a brand new Garmin Zumo XT2 and was assuming that I would be using it on my new sled this season.    I may have even considered paying the extra for the crappy 10.25 gauge on my new sled if I knew that I couldnt use my GPS this season and was stuck with BRP GO.    So now I have a $900 GPS that is pretty much a paperweight (in Ontario).   I wish I didnt sell my old Montana 680 with my sled as it had the Ontario maps downloaded into it.   

I know I am jumping the gun, but this is really making me think about just buying a Quebec permit and riding there exclusively this season.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, signfan said:

No, won't be that.  Lawyers and risk management will be the issue.  That or OFSC wanting to be able to dhut the mapping down in the off season.

Yes.   I think you are correct.   I am jumping the gun with crazy conspiracy theories.   

We are getting to the point that all the OFSC is concerned about is "risk management".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scottyr said:

I know I am jumping the gun, but this is really making me think about just buying a Quebec permit and riding there exclusively this season.

OFSC

No Trak Maps

No Grooming Map

No Interactive Map available in September and October to plan trips

Quebec

👍Trak Maps

👍Grooming Map

👍Interactive Map Available 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It is just another way to compare the two provinces. 
- ON always looking for reason to take away from people enjoyment all for the “good” for you and I

- QC, and other provinces such as NB, are not looking at ways to put roadblocks up or take things away in these categories, just to get things done and move forward

Ontario never used to be this bad, but it gets worse year after year. 
Stop making excuses for stupid people and the stupid decisions they make…..

• Like 5

8 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Must be Doug Ford's fault bahahahaha

No, I believe things started to get bad, than real bad with that idiot mcliar followed by that other liar….I know they all lie, some just much worse than others that cost huge. 

I don’t recall it being this bad before that. 
With precedent set now and no one looking to reverse things for “our good”, things aren’t getting better. 
But if he makes ya fell better to blame Ford too, I get that…lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

OFSC

No Trak Maps

No Grooming Map

No Interactive Map available in September and October to plan trips

Quebec

👍Trak Maps

👍Grooming Map

👍Interactive Map Available 

The OFSC has a Facebook account. If you have F/B then go on and ask the question why. They are reasonably good at quick replys especially if its being pusshed by a number of people.

• Like 1

Look official, right from trak maps

Screenshot_20230915_110429_Chrome.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Look official, right from trak maps

Screenshot_20230915_110429_Chrome.jpg

Officially ended  partnership by the OFSC. Why?

46 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Officially ended  partnership by the OFSC. Why?

No idea yet

Never used it, or a gpa of any kind while sledding, but I guess I can see why it would be a nuisance for some.

don’t blame the ofsc if it’s liability reasons, blame your fellow riders and the elected officials.

it’s riders that initiate actions.

it’s policies that allow it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Never used it, or a gpa of any kind while sledding, but I guess I can see why it would be a nuisance for some.

don’t blame the ofsc if it’s liability reasons, blame your fellow riders and the elected officials.

it’s riders that initiate actions.

it’s policies that allow it

OFSC should at least be proactive and tell their permit purchasers why they made this decision. After all there permit purchasers are their reason for being.

• Like 5

sad to hear. I have been using Trakmaps for years planning my routes and they are awesome! Hopefully something can be worked out...

I just asked the question at AGM and the ofsc requires the map to offer realtime status updates. 

4 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I just asked the question at AGM and the ofsc requires the map to offer realtime status updates. 

Wow thats stupid.  Lawyers are having way to much say in Ontario snowmobiling.  

Pass a motion on the floor to have the contract re-enstated.  If it's argued ask are we no longer offering paper maps because they don't offer real time status updates?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Has it been discussed if there will be any way the OFSC mad could be available in a file format that would be downloadable to Garmin units?

lf they don’t have or develop something that is downloadable to a Garmin OFSC will be alienating many permit holders.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Has it been discussed if there will be any way the OFSC mad could be available in a file format that would be downloadable to Garmin units?

lf they don’t have or develop something that is downloadable to a Garmin OFSC will be alienating many permit holders.

Excellent followup question i didnt think of until after the meeting was over. What will be the future of the paper map?

Trakmaps was safety . A way out of a predicament. Both it and paper maps didn't tell you where you were, or the trail status - but both offered a way out in a pinch. 

At the front end - both helpful for trip planning.

• Like 3

There are other players in the gps game that will hopefully be stepping up.

Trakmaps have been a great partner, but for now they are out.

So the OFSC had a player that was used but were not meeting a new criteria. 
I assume discussions were had to see if that player could accommodate?

If criteria  could not be met and there are other possible players, it would seem prudent to give those other players a chance to step up to the plate before this decision was made. 

I assume current gps can still be used to track your trail, route taken , etc…., but would need to be used in conjunction with the trail map app with most current trail route, status, etc …not ideal. 

Doesn’t appear to be the most well thought out decision, perhaps there is more to the situation that helps make more sense of it or why notice of this was not communicated.