Lightest two-up covered trsiler

markweist

I currently have a Tom bubble one-up trailer.  New sled won’t fit so going to a double.  
I drive a four cylinder SUV don’t want charge my vehicle.  So lightweight double trailer that fit a 154” track. 

any suggestions ?  TIA

Sounds like a 12 foot aluminum clam is what you are looking for unless you have a decent towing capacity.

Here is another suggestion: Triton TC128-LR Ramp rear door and 14 inch wheels. Weighs 1000# and will carry 2000#. 

• Like 2

My vote is for the triton tc167. Only 7 wide so not catching tons of air and will fit two sleds of any size. Super lite. Pull behind sport Ute easily. Might be exspensive but you’ll probably never have to buy another one unless you get into hauling 3 or 4 sleds

3 hours ago, DRJ said:

My vote is for the triton tc167. Only 7 wide so not catching tons of air and will fit two sleds of any size. Super lite. Pull behind sport Ute easily. Might be exspensive but you’ll probably never have to buy another one unless you get into hauling 3 or 4 sleds

X2, amazing trailer for sure

• Like 1

Might want to look at the Bullett.

https://actiontrailers.ca/shop/build-a-trailer/snowmobile-motorcycle/inline-hybrid/sled-shed-aluminum-pro-starr-bullet-series-rear-ramp-door-7-wide-inline-hybrid-snowmobile/

It's the same as a tc167, but has lower head room meaning you catch less wind. Not a huge difference but every little bit helps. I'd say your pushing your luck wanting to pull 2 sleds with a 4 cylinder setup. Does your vehicle really have the weight and the brakes to stop a 2 place safely? A lot of the 4 cylinder suv's are glorified cars. If you have a pathfinder or an explorer that's one thing. But a Kia Sorento or a Hyundai Santa Fe and I think you're asking for issues. Maybe consider trailer brakes to help. Just my opinion

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DRJ said:

X3. I have a TC167 and it’s only a couple hundred pounds heavier but it will carry 3 sleds in a pinch. Looks very similar to that Bullett trailer. I have never pulled it with a four banger and don’t know anyone who has, having said that it’s probably only 3000# loaded but you may have to budget for new front brakes every spring hauling with a lighter vehicle or buy one with trailer brakes. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, signfan said:

Off topic some but have to wonder how anyone could justify the price of a tc167 today when you can buy this trailer for the same money.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utility-trailer/mississauga-peel-region/beckner-7x16-5/m5140921

Triton is a big expensive name brand.  Also a big brand name that has been sold to Alcolm the trailer manufacturing giant.   Quality could now become an issue   

Plenty of other hybrid 7 x 16 trailers on market that will work just as well at the main purpose of keeping sled clean while towing north.  

On 2/17/2023 at 4:17 PM, signfan said:

Off topic some but have to wonder how anyone could justify the price of a tc167 today when you can buy this trailer for the same money.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utility-trailer/mississauga-peel-region/beckner-7x16-5/m5140921

Is that what a TC167 cost now?!?!?

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Is that what a TC167 cost now?!?!?

Bluewater has one for $13,705.00      Two Wheel in Guelph has one for $14,405.00    They may have different options.

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Bluewater has one for $13,705.00      Two Wheel in Guelph has one for $14,405.00    They may have different options.

It isn’t right when a hybrid costs the same as a v nose that has brakes, usually beefier frame and side walls…..and more room!

8 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Btw, didn’t you just take take a trip, where is the update or did I miss it?!?!

Yep Triton's got expensive. PR 147 is close to $25k now.   Basically the equivalent of that trailer from Beckner, but shorter.  My Triton clamshell has been a good trailer, but can't see buying another one given the price difference between them and some pretty nice trailers from their competitors.

• Like 1

What 4 cyl SUV vehicle do you pull it with?    Please dont say RAV4 or anything like that.   I honestly dont think you are going to be able to tow a 2 place enclosed properly unless it a hot rod turbo charged engine.  

I own a TC167 and my wifes Honda Pilot with a 3.5 V6 struggled to pull it.   Not becuase of the motor but the crappy 6 speed transmission that Honda used.   Her 22 Bronco with 2.7 V6 seemed to pull ok but again the trans that Ford put it in wasnt really the best for towing.  My wife just got a 23 Highlander with a 2.4 Turbo and I am sure it would pull in a pinch, I am not even bothering to put a hitch on it as I think it would suck balls towing on a 400 series highway.   (yes, she goes through a lot of cars). 

As mentioned, your motor might pull it in a straight line, but you need to make sure that your chassis and brakes can actually handle the trailer.

I think a 6 x 12 single enclosed with a ramp door is probably the best route for you.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I drive a Range Rover Velar.  It’s smaller but I can fit my Pelican tub in the back for ice fishing and load it up for summer trips. 
I will get the brake assist just to be safe and make it easier. Got some suggestions to explore.  Might not pull the trailer trigger till next year.  30cm coming my way so I’ll be ripping from the driveway. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:05 AM, RAMSOMAIR said:

Narrow is better especially with a small tow vehicle. I have 2022 Ram crew diesel and it gets better mileage towing my 7X27 Legend than towing my 8X12 lightning.

What matters is width of tow vehicle. Most new SUV’s are wider so 8 foot not as much of parachute. Only issue going longer if you can’t see behind you cops will give you a ticket. Tried that on me on 400. Turn lights on, I moved over and he let me go. 8 foot by 12 I can see sides and behind me with proper mirrors. 27 feet not a chance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

What matters is width of tow vehicle. Most new SUV’s are wider so 8 foot not as much of parachute. Only issue going longer if you can’t see behind you cops will give you a ticket. Tried that on me on 400. Turn lights on, I moved over and he let me go. 8 foot by 12 I can see sides and behind me with proper mirrors. 27 feet not a chance. 

How many sleds can you get in the 8 foot by 12?

On 2/22/2023 at 7:51 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

How many sleds can you get in the 8 foot by 12?

Two long tracks up to 147 inches would fit. See a guy with same trailer as me get three in. Two long tracks forward and a shortie backwards inbetween two. I personally wouldn’t try it but it does work if you don’t care about scratching your stuff. Have to use towels and pool noodles then you be ok 😎

On 2/17/2023 at 4:17 PM, signfan said:

Lots of trailers to choice from but have to compare apples to apples. Some manufactures take short cuts with steel grade, fastener grades, fastener spacing on aluminum sheets too, way wiring is done. You really have to some inspections on new trailers and compare them. Lightning trailer is close in quality. I buy another one in a heart beat. Some of cargo trailers on market,  I wouldn’t touch those. This brand,  I know nothing so no comments..

I have heard nothing but good things about Beckners.    They are made about 25kms from me and I drive past their shop all the time. 

You are going to hate life pulling that trailer with your RR though.   

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Two long tracks up to 147 inches would fit. See a guy with same trailer as me get three in. Two long tracks forward and a shortie backwards inbetween two. I personally wouldn’t try it but it does work if you don’t care about scratching your stuff. Have to use towels and pool noodles then you be ok 😎

In an 8' x 12 as you mentioned above the only way you could possibly do it is with one backed in. Then your tongue weight would be very light.

• Confused 1

I just bought a 2023  made in Canada Weberlane 7 x 23 double ramp in New Liskeard for 4 k $ less than any used ones I've seen lately.  A father/daughter in New Liskeard at VJ Trailer Sales. All aluminum with stainless door hardware. I bought a Strathroy  Action Neo aluminum POS before I knew better and the steel hinges seize shut after every use. No grease fittings, plastic hardware, no warranty,  and they have no clue. Never ever buy junk again