2022/2023 Sledding Plans, Pictures, etc…

stoney

You can fly to Timmins from Toronto Island every day.    My buddy bought a new C8 from the Chevy Dealer in Timmins and flew up there to pick it up and drive it home.    It was around $150 to fly 1 way and he was there in 90 mins.   

I have a client who has his own plane and has a cabin outside of Timmins.   He flies up every weekend to sled.   

• Like 3

On 9/30/2022 at 9:19 AM, Strong Farmer said:

Why they have a 4500 foot asphalt runway just north of town. 😎

So, by all evidence that we can find, there are no commercial flights out of Cochran. 

So, you have a private plane as well?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, scottyr said:

You can fly to Timmins from Toronto Island every day.    My buddy bought a new C8 from the Chevy Dealer in Timmins and flew up there to pick it up and drive it home.    It was around $150 to fly 1 way and he was there in 90 mins.   

I have a client who has his own plane and has a cabin outside of Timmins.   He flies up every weekend to sled.   

1 hour ago, Ox said:

So, by all evidence that we can find, there are no commercial flights out of Cochran. 

So, you have a private plane as well?

Going to state the same, no Cochrane in the winter, but looks like you can other times of the year. 
Timmins to Cochrane isn’t far on sled, so close enough!

I didn't find any flights in the current timeline either.

I didn't check July.

What would be different between the [summer] Holidays to make it worthwhile then?

1 hour ago, Ox said:

I didn't find any flights in the current timeline either.

I didn't check July.

What would be different between the [summer] Holidays to make it worthwhile then?

When it was mentioned first about flying into Cochrane I was curious if that was even possible since I thought it would be odd, so did a quick search and I’m sure something popped up from Toronto, which surprised me. Than I wondered if winter was an option so entered Jan date and all that I came up with was Timmins. 
Perhaps added expense in winter for up keep do not make it worth while….:wtf:

Did not look any further….than saw comments on here about same thing and I guess I wasn’t the only person wondering the same thing…lol

1 hour ago, stoney said:

When it was mentioned first about flying into Cochrane I was curious if that was even possible since I thought it would be odd, so did a quick search and I’m sure something popped up from Toronto, which surprised me. Than I wondered if winter was an option so entered Jan date and all that I came up with was Timmins. 

Did not look any further….than saw comments on here about same thing and I guess I wasn’t the only person wondering the same thing…lol

I would guess you are right in your thinking that the runway maintenance in the wintertime might be too much for the use it would get. The issue with flying into Timmins to rent and ride is that I don't think there is any place to rent a sled right in Timmins. 

16 hours ago, stoney said:

Owned and operated year round by the Town of Cochrane, the Cochrane Airport offers a 4500 foot asphalt runway complete with markers and lighting licensed for public day and night flights.

seems they just getting cargo flights and private charters thru the winter. Maybe it’s a back up to Timmins airport if weather is bad there they can go to Cochrane 🤷🏽‍♂️
If we got about 10 snowmobiler’s together we could get a charter flight to Cochrane, I bet out of one of smaller airports in Toronto. 
I don’t know any commercial pilots any more. 
With price of fuel and time renting would make sense. To squeeze a weekend in far north. 
I

54 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Owned and operated year round by the Town of Cochrane, the Cochrane Airport offers a 4500 foot asphalt runway complete with markers and lighting licensed for public day and night flights.

seems they just getting cargo flights and private charters thru the winter. Maybe it’s a back up to Timmins airport if weather is bad there they can go to Cochrane 🤷🏽‍♂️
If we got about 10 snowmobiler’s together we could get a charter flight to Cochrane, I bet out of one of smaller airports in Toronto. 
I don’t know any commercial pilots any more. 
With price of fuel and time renting would make sense. To squeeze a weekend in far north. 
I

I think most of the guys on OC at least, have their sleds equipped to their liking and want to ride them when they go north. It doesn't make sense to own  an expensive sled with associated costs and leave it sitting at home.

In a lot of cases there are there are 2-4 people going north together and sharing the costs of fuel and rooms so its likely still  much cheaper than flying and renting. In our groups case, the trip up and home gives us a chance to enjoy the conversations and being with friends.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I think most of the guys on OC at least, have their sleds equipped to their liking and want to ride them when they go north. It doesn't make sense to own  an expensive sled with associated costs and leave it sitting at home.

In a lot of cases there are there are 2-4 people going north together and sharing the costs of fuel and rooms so its likely still  much cheaper than flying and renting. In our groups case, the trip up and home gives us a chance to enjoy the conversations and being with friends.

Depends how much you ride. I was thinking no insurance no permit this winter and flying and renting once in March.  If it turned out ok. I might just get rid of snowmobile and fly and rent. I could go two or three times to be equal to owning a new snowmobile. 

We used Val D'or airport once to pick up a buddy who couldnt get out of a work thing.    We drove up and sledded for a day.   He flew up and joined in on the trip.   

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Depends how much you ride. I was thinking no insurance no permit this winter and flying and renting once in March.  If it turned out ok. I might just get rid of snowmobile and fly and rent. I could go two or three times to be equal to owning a new snowmobile. 

Equal to purchase price of new snowmobile maybe if you can lock down a plane load of riders 2 or3 times. That's quite an issue in itself. The part you did not mention is that you do have equity in a year old snowmobile at the end of the season.

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Ya, agreed. 
The renting would be the exception for sure due to certain circumstances. 
I’ve rented long ago before I got into sledding, it wasn’t a comfortable feeling being on something that wasn’t yours and the potential damage situation. 
Friends have rented a few times last few years and this worries them. 
I actually ended up buying my current sled mostly due to a rental my brother had due to breakdown of his sled on a trip that I rode for a bit….so there’s one good point..lol

On 10/1/2022 at 3:42 PM, stoney said:

When I first checked as well, it seemed the flights were to Cochrane, but later I realized that they were listing as ending in Timmins. 

Overall there are a LOT of folks renting "out west".

Many of the lodges in the Rockies rent sleds.

Spring 21 we were at Albany Lodge near Laramie, WY.

They had on order of around 80 Polaris sleds there.

My chum actually picked up a Kitty that had originated there. (Unkowingly)

My mom stayed at Togwatee Lodge between Dubois and Jackson Hole, WY a month or so ago, and I think that she said that they had at least 100 there.

These 1 yr old sleds with typically 5000 miles on them (in the mountians!) end up at auction houses near you. They show up at White Star* Auctions near me in Bronson, Mich. These are going to be 153 to 165" sleds, not trail sleds

So, I would have to think that there are places out there that rent a lot of "trail" sleds?

* They are not just into overseas shipping anymore.

54 minutes ago, Ox said:

When I first checked as well, it seemed the flights were to Cochrane, but later I realized that they were listing as ending in Timmins. 

My mom stayed at Togwatee Lodge between Dubois and Jackson Hole, WY a month or so ago, and I think that she said that they had at least 100 there.

These 1 yr old sleds with typically 5000 miles on them (in the mountians!) end up at auction houses near you. They show up at White Star* Auctions near me in Bronson, Mich. These are going to be 153 to 165" sleds, not trail sleds

So, I would have to think that there are places out there that rent a lot of "trail" sleds?

Here's a list of Ontario sled rentals that the Intrepid one made some time ago. There may be changes by now. I thought I had read somewhere that Horwood Lodge has rentals but couldn't find anything on their site :

Operators Who Offer Ontario Snowmobile Rentals

Lodgings Who Offer Snowmobile Packages & Ontario Snowmobile Rentals

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ox said:

Ya, I thought about the west after I posted above too actually - pretty sure there are a few guys on here that did that and posted about the adventure. 
IDK, but I think running a rental in the mountains wouldn’t feel the same as running through the trails/bush. 

What about flying into QC and renting there?  

Dealers in Mount Laurier have a big rental fleet.  Not sure about the logistics but the rental game is big in Quebec.  

Sorry guys, been kinda of swamped the past few weeks with work, Club stuff and family stuff.

We are planning on going to New Brunswick this year for a week or so in early March. And the normal trip or two to Northern Ontario.

I will be at the District 7 booth on the Saturday for the Toronto Sled Show, Stop in and say hi if you are around, Might be going on the Friday to take the show in as a visitor as well.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Curious if any of u guys have booked a tour though Ontario Snow tours?

On 10/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Here's a list of Ontario sled rentals that the Intrepid one made some time ago. There may be changes by now. I thought I had read somewhere that Horwood Lodge has rentals but couldn't find anything on their site :

Operators Who Offer Ontario Snowmobile Rentals

Lodgings Who Offer Snowmobile Packages & Ontario Snowmobile Rentals

make sure you check these, I know for a fact, Jone's in Wawa does not rent sleds any longer. I doubt the soo and searchmont do anymore either. have not heard of them renting, recently. your results may vary. Ski

8 hours ago, Nunz said:

Havent heard of them. Come play in the snow, (Bryan) used to be a trusted touring company. Ski

I think it was in one of the rags that he retired in the last cpl years.

10 hours ago, Nunz said:

I thought someone on here last year mentioned using or going to use them. 
Looks like Cochrane tour is already sold out. 

We booked our Moosonee trip with Mylene at Follow her North On February 20-22, 2023. Getting excited! We did our last one in 2012 out of Cochrane.

https://www.followhernorth.com/snowmobile-trips

• Like 3