Jump to content
andreyboater

Kapuskasing and Hearst

Recommended Posts

On 2/18/2021 at 12:46 PM, rsykes said:

Not sure if you are looking for a place to stay in Hearst... We stayed last year at the Companion.. Heated Garage for the sleds and bar/restaurant on site.  5 minute walk to the LCBO.  We enjoyed our night there.  As sor the trails.. I absolutely loved L123 & L125 in Kap.  

Add the L155 to the list! Definitely 3 of my favourites!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Restaurant not open for breakfast at Companion this year but there is grab and go continental in the lobby. Restaurant opens before lunch and closes earlier in the evening. Bar closes earlier as well.

Restaurant is open for breakfast. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And do not forget Dinner as well @Evil

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After taking OC Member @Evils advice, we stayed at the Super 8 this past weekend. Which is the old Queens. The owner of the Companion Inn owns both. We have always stayed at the Companion Inn, and this time decided to see what @Evil had been trying to tell us for a while. We really enjoyed the Super 8. Rooms are much larger, and its just something different. You can still use the Companion Inns amenities, and we did. We had the Companion Inn booked for our next toot, in 2 weeks, but have since changed our rooms to the Super 8. The rooms are much larger, and you can take the sledders package, and get vouchers to spend at the Companion Inn. We like both, but liked the larger rooms of the super 8.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Evil said:

Restaurant is open for breakfast. 

 

19 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

And do not forget Dinner as well @Evil

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking to @irREVerent today & we were discussing meals. Probably will do take out in Kap' seeing as I'll have my truck there & Papa Franco's is a 2 minute walk. Has anything gone in where Casey's used to be?

 

Now for the self-promotion part of my post.

 

Also, if anyone is going to be in the area & had considered buying a 'watch' off me, I'll have a few on hand for on trail delivery. PM me for info.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the L138 in Kap that is showing red is passable??  I planned on staying at the Super 8 that is at the end of that trail.  Also any suggestions for other places to stay that they prefer over the super 8? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Arctic JC said:

Does anyone know if the L138 in Kap that is showing red is passable??  I planned on staying at the Super 8 that is at the end of that trail.  Also any suggestions for other places to stay that they prefer over the super 8? 

Maybe @Evil will chime in here. Pretty sure they stayed there Sunday night, when we broke off from their group as we returned to Cochrane and the Westway..We have stayed at the Comfort Inn. It was good for us also.

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arctic JC said:

Does anyone know if the L138 in Kap that is showing red is passable??  I planned on staying at the Super 8 that is at the end of that trail.  Also any suggestions for other places to stay that they prefer over the super 8? 

We stayed at the Advantage this year and are booked in there for next weekend. It was a favourite of Sledjunk for years and I can see why, nice and simple, very affordable and great location.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nunz said:

We stayed at the Advantage this year and are booked in there for next weekend. It was a favourite of Sledjunk for years and I can see why, nice and simple, very affordable and great location.

Walking distance to eats & TOP A is across the road w/ no curb to deal w/. 

 

When we stayed there a few winters ago, I couldn't believe the improvements done. Stayed @ the previous establishment on my 1st trip in 2000 & it was not a pleasant night, sway back bed & it sounded like the transports were driving thru the parking lot. Everything is good now & would recommend it in a heartbeat.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 12:29 AM, revrnd said:

Just get off TOP A. Lots of tourists just run back & forth on it to put on the miles to & from Hearst & Cochrane. Last winter I led @irREVerent SJ & the rest across the top of L125. Even pushing snow for 6 miles @ 50+ was fun. I guess it has to replace the old stretch of TOP A south of Strickland. Those long time NCDN riders will know where I mean...

One of my favourite trails actually!!  We try to get off A whenever we can. Less traffic and absolutely beautiful ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 11:29 PM, revrnd said:

Just get off TOP A. Lots of tourists just run back & forth on it to put on the miles to & from Hearst & Cochrane. 

I like the Top A ...it holds fond memories of my first ride of the season for 6 out of the last 8 years, usually Christmas day, while others languish uselessly with their families. ug.  Leaving the Advantage or the Apollo motel and heading west toward Hearst feels like an old friend after 9 months of no riding. I have done the other trails too....just letting you know so I don't get dumped into that low "tourist" level of the sledding hierarchy - a big bruise to my self esteem...thanks revrnd:o...but the A trail will always have a special place in my heart. Gonna ride it tomorrow morning as a matter of fact. :)

 

Four inches of new snow, -20 or so this evening, trails should be deep and crisp and even. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slomo said:

I like the Top A ...it holds fond memories of my first ride of the season for 6 out of the last 8 years, usually Christmas day, while others languish uselessly with their families. ug.  Leaving the Advantage or the Apollo motel and heading west toward Hearst feels like an old friend after 9 months of no riding. I have done the other trails too....just letting you know so I don't get dumped into that low "tourist" level of the sledding hierarchy - a big bruise to my self esteem...thanks revrnd:o...but the A trail will always have a special place in my heart. Gonna ride it tomorrow morning as a matter of fact. :)

 

Four inches of new snow, -20 or so this evening, trails should be deep and crisp and even. 

The tourist remark was brought about from an exchange online years ago. Someone said that the ride from Cochrane to Hearst was boring. Turns out they had done the trip a couple of times just sticking to TOP A. 

 

Nothing wrong w/ 'the A trail', but there's more to the Corridor than that trail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nunz said:

We stayed at the Advantage this year and are booked in there for next weekend. It was a favourite of Sledjunk for years and I can see why, nice and simple, very affordable and great location.

Last year Sledjunk started a new post and the title was “I’m moving to Kap”. I was beyond excited for him when I first glanced at the title. Then he informed us that he was staying at “The Advantage” and using it as a base camp for the week. It’s a great idea SJ and I look forward to “moving to Kap” someday as well. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

Last year Sledjunk started a new post and the title was “I’m moving to Kap”. I was beyond excited for him when I first glanced at the title. Then he informed us that he was staying at “The Advantage” and using it as a base camp for the week. It’s a great idea SJ and I look forward to “moving to Kap” someday as well. 

We wanted to exile an unpopular general supervisor there to the Cold Weather Centre...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 10:10 PM, revrnd said:

Talking to @irREVerent today & we were discussing meals. Probably will do take out in Kap' seeing as I'll have my truck there & Papa Franco's is a 2 minute walk. Has anything gone in where Casey's used to be?

 

Now for the self-promotion part of my post.

 

Also, if anyone is going to be in the area & had considered buying a 'watch' off me, I'll have a few on hand for on trail delivery. PM me for info.


Chucks Roadhouse

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 10:45 PM, Arctic JC said:

Does anyone know if the L138 in Kap that is showing red is passable??  I planned on staying at the Super 8 that is at the end of that trail.  Also any suggestions for other places to stay that they prefer over the super 8? 

No issues at all. Trail is fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Evil said:

No issues at all. Trail is fine. 

Thank you!!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Evil said:


Chucks Roadhouse

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Evil said:


Chucks Roadhouse

Awesome. The one we get food from has good food at reasonable prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@infernobuster Forecast for you

20210225_190112.thumb.jpg.5264991b268fa43e6c016f2621a5f5fe.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trail to the Super 8 was groomed yesterday (Thursday Feb. 25)

 

Tough start to the day...

pic01.thumb.JPG.44b193161d207f3f025813a61bc61d2a.JPG

 

but trails all round in good condition. 

 

pic02.thumb.JPG.216da92e727e0add3bb4fde923e55615.JPG

 

pic03.thumb.JPG.770c5f2f4bb767f6f500206aa70f6c0b.JPG

 

pic04.thumb.JPG.f178fe7482782aac9d904e1320149f92.JPG

 

pic05.thumb.JPG.bd77871eba0f823aa18e9bdcdb36dcfc.JPG

 

Motel parking lots are empty - where is everyone?

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, scottyr said:

We will probably be there on Sat night as well.    Black Renegade 850 and Lime Polaris 850.

A couple of beverages for you since I dont want to haul the remains of a 6 pack back to Kap

Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys bought a 6 pack and could not finish it.  Must be a story behind that decision .:D

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

You guys bought a 6 pack and could not finish it.  Must be a story behind that decision .:D

:rotflmao:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...