B110

Pota

Anyone been riding this trail lately? Orangeville to Owen Sound ? Conditions? Not far to Orangeville for me, usually ride at cottage in Huntsville and I’m unfamiliar with B110. I noticed a section of red trail around Dundalk. Is there away around that? Or should I start my day there? Also any parking tips in either place would help. I’m looking to go tomorrow. 

Next question is more of a technical one. I load my sled in the back of my pick up. I recently leased a new truck , but when I returned my old one they wanted to charge me ( didn’t happen ) for damage done to the liner from my sleds studs , carbides. Would a sheet of plywood down suffice? Any other ideas would help. Thx

Good to be back on forum after summer absence . I’ve been reading  or should I say catching up on all the posts. Really good useful info here!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pota said:

Anyone been riding this trail lately? Orangeville to Owen Sound ? Conditions? Not far to Orangeville for me, usually ride at cottage in Huntsville and I’m unfamiliar with B110. I noticed a section of red trail around Dundalk. Is there away around that? Or should I start my day there? Also any parking tips in either place would help. I’m looking to go tove to srew down or attachmorrow. 

Next question is more of a technical one. I load my sled in the back of my pick up. I recently leased a new truck , but when I returned my old one they wanted to charge me ( didn’t happen ) for damage done to the liner from my sleds studs , carbides. Would a sheet of plywood down suffice? Any other ideas would help. Thx

Good to be back on forum after summer absence . I’ve been reading  or should I say catching up on all the posts. Really good useful info here!

You would have to screw or  somehow attach the plywood to the box or you would spin it out from under you when loading. You would need to do the tailgate as well. You could  buy an used liner or part of  an old one with the fender wells on it and stick it in on top of the good one for the the winter.

• Like 1

If you drill holes to screw plywood down that is a modification too. Why not just tell them next time you will buy truck out right and sell it yourself. Most times you can get more that way too, especially with way current market is. 
roller ramps are nice too. Still have to drill holes to mount it but it will save box. Use to be a guy named ramp man on here selling them. Really nice for hauling sled in pickup. East to load and un load too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

I use a 4×8 sheet of 1/2" plywood in the back of my shortbox, that way it covers the tailgate as well. I don't attach it to the bed but I have linex. My ramp also has large fingers and ratchet strap that goes to my hitch to hold it in place. 

44 minutes ago, Pota said:

Anyone been riding this trail lately? Orangeville to Owen Sound ? Conditions? Not far to Orangeville for me, usually ride at cottage in Huntsville and I’m unfamiliar with B110. I noticed a section of red trail around Dundalk. Is there away around that? Or should I start my day there? Also any parking tips in either place would help. I’m looking to go tomorrow. 

IMO, drive to Markdale, and park in the Main street trail parking lot, directly across from the Ice cream manufacturer.  IIRC, its chapmans. Way better snow conditions and depth.  Check out Dufferin Drift Busters and Klondyke Snowmobile clubs Facebook pages for updates. Stay to the northern sections better snow depth etc. Its early season riding right now anyways.  

I went out yesterday for the first time, did 165Kms starting in Owensound, following the B110 trail and taking any open club trail that branched off it.   My plan was to head towards Mount Forest and then loop around Dundalk and Durham making my way back.

While on a club trail in that direction, I stopped to let a couple come through a narrow section first and asked them how it was.   Their reply was a lot of water some sections a foot deep.   With that I turned around and headed back.

Most of my riding was the B110 and some club trails, really didn't spend any time in the area between Dundalk and Durham, (know this to be a wet area).

Between Chatsworth and Holland Center the B110 was extremely bumpy heading out, but the groomer was on it after I passed and was much better for the return trip.

All in all, conditions were good, no bare spots, the occasion wet spot at low areas, i.e. ditches.

2 hours ago, Pota said:

red area in dundalk might be where the health units change

37 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

red area in dundalk might be where the health units change

You are correct Nick. It would be where  Wellington Dufferin meets Grey Bruce.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

I really wonder what its like      Brian I have a call in for you know who       they did get 40 cm in Holstein I heard   

Really,   WOW!

never saw 40cm, but the trail was acceptable

34 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Interesting.  When he said 40 it may be at his place in Chatsworth. I may be mistaken.  Just texted with a guy that did ride Holstein north to Durham and markdale. Said was real good 

Here's what Windy.com has on snow depth in Holstein:

windy.com Holstein.png

Tsc stall matt is the trick.  Then go to an auto wrecker and get an old truck bed liner.  Cut two lengths of liner 12" wide and bolt them to the matt for the ski's.  It works great and will protect your bed liner.  I still laugh at the fact that I did this building a bed liner for a bed liner.  Trucks aren't what they used to be.

• Like 1

Just a FYI, Markdale to Owen Sound has the best snow coverage.  From all accounts though, the trail is showing the aduse from traffic and weather.  Pretty much the same as everywhere else around the area. Clubs are doing a darn good job with what they have to work with. IMO anyways. :icon_steer:..

44 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Just a FYI, Markdale to Owen Sound has the best snow coverage.  From all accounts though, the trail is showing the aduse from traffic and weather.  Pretty much the same as everywhere else around the area. Clubs are doing a darn good job with what they have to work with. IMO anyways. :icon_steer:..

How many km’s do you have so far? 

We rode Orangeville, Dundalk, Mt Forest, then up the B111 towards Durham and back. 

Railline was most pretty flat with a few stones on top. Other trails were variously rough, groomed with some mud cuts (nothing really bad). Generally to too bad considering how little snow is there and no freeze. The sled needs a wash after that. 

• Thanks 1

What , if any, is protocol for the red section in Dundalk? Signed trail closed? Reroute , or mums the word? Think this section is just the continuous rail bed correct ?

asking for a friend.

C468EC93-C385-4C8F-A072-7B1AC163E4F9.png

• Haha 1