Jump to content
revrnd

Winter 2021

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Ps you ate all fish on us yesterday. Nothing but blue sky this afternoon. What an amazing ride. 

2357AF4C-ED0F-4909-8510-10BB5A1219F2.jpeg

Yep, my buddy and I both had the Fish with fresh cut fries. It was delish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, zoso said:

Did you feel the rear exchanger to see if it was hot?

I did and it was cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I did and it was cool.

Then no coolant circulating through it. Either all leaked out, head gasket gone and burned up, or air lock. Check level warm in over flow. if good, run up onto a snow bank or trailer ramp, remove cap after pressure drops, then run with open and see of rear exhanger becomes warm, when it does add coolant as needed. If empty and no leaks, trade it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, zoso said:

Then no coolant circulating through it. Either all leaked out, head gasket gone and burned up, or air lock. Check level warm in over flow. if good, run up onto a snow bank or trailer ramp, remove cap after pressure drops, then run with open and see of rear exhanger becomes warm, when it does add coolant as needed. If empty and no leaks, trade it.

My gut is telling me head gasket but I'm still playing ignorant right now.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, zoso said:

Then no coolant circulating through it. Either all leaked out, head gasket gone and burned up, or air lock. Check level warm in over flow. if good, run up onto a snow bank or trailer ramp, remove cap after pressure drops, then run with open and see of rear exhanger becomes warm, when it does add coolant as needed. If empty and no leaks, trade it.

Coolant tank is empty. Spun the track and 1 stud is missing.

 

Edit, make that 12 missing.

 

 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Coolant tank is empty. Spun the track and 1 stud is missing.

 

Edit, make that 12 missing.

 

 

Looks like a puncture may have happened. This is good news as long as the overhear was not severe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Mystery solved.

 

 

259DBE20-5158-407B-B607-CA9A7651A9E8.jpeg

9BDCCAF7-F476-4D72-A757-2BC7A23E0DD4.jpeg

Get it welded by someone who has done that before. Good to go...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Get it welded by someone who has done that before. Good to go...

Yep, already texting 2 welder buddies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Mystery solved.

 

 

259DBE20-5158-407B-B607-CA9A7651A9E8.jpeg

9BDCCAF7-F476-4D72-A757-2BC7A23E0DD4.jpeg

Did that to my vector 1000's of miles ago.It also went in limp mode,left it at the road and returned with the truck.No more studs for me just a prestudded cobra!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yep, already texting 2 welder buddies.

Those aluminium backers are soft and Break and get bent when studs can’t penetrate into hard surfaces such as roads. I always had trouble with them too in south. I was told plastic ones were better. Never had a stud ruin a heat exchangers but I use go thru track after ever ride in south and fix them. No more studs for me either. Too much fixing and not enough riding in conditions I actually need them. I go pre studded on next sled or track change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stoney said:

Studs = Bad

 

12 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Those aluminium backers are soft and Break and get bent when studs can’t penetrate into hard surfaces such as roads. I always had trouble with them too in south. I was told plastic ones were better. Never had a stud ruin a heat exchangers but I use go thru track after ever ride in south and fix them. No more studs for me either. Too much fixing and not enough riding in conditions I actually need them. I go pre studded on next sled or track change. 

 

I have had studs in every sled n my garage for the last 20 years. Never lost a stud once. I got a bad batch of backers for the wife's sled when Studboy made their first run of Pink Plastic backers. I talked to them at the Toronto Sled show and they admitted they had a problem and sent me replacements.

 

I think its the nuts in this case that are too soft. I went through the track and probably 50% of them are loose. In all cases the nuts are shorter than the tight ones. When this sled was in a shop 1.5 years ago, they told me that they tightened a whole bunch of studs. I thought that I hadn't got the studs tight enough on install but I found some tight studs with shorter nuts.

 

I need to install better products.

 

Regardless, the track still looks good so far. I have a bunch that are seized and I'll have to cut those out. Then its off to Royal for some Gold Diggers and new backers.

 

I'm interested in trying an Ice Ripper in the future. If I get an Enduro for the wife then I'll have one around to try. But she is used to regular studs, I'm not sure I want to go backwards in traction for her.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Temp gauge was in mid 70’s to low 80’s C all day today riding two up. 900ace lots of snow on trail still. 

 

I was out on Wednesday, temps were around -5C but the trails were hard.  My 900 Ace was consistently in the 90's and when I reached 108C I put down the scratchers which quickly reduced the temperature.    Just a FYI,  108C was showing as 6 bars on the temperature graph.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

 

I was out on Wednesday, temps were around -5C but the trails were hard.  My 900 Ace was consistently in the 90's and when I reached 108C I put down the scratchers which quickly reduced the temperature.    Just a FYI,  108C was showing as 6 bars on the temperature graph.

That’s hot, I put down scratchers down when I hit 98 F on hard packed trails earlier Thursday morning. Those brp scratchers work awesome. Went from around 98 F which is 6 bars too Down to 78 or so. About 45 mins later I had better snow and raised them up. Have you been crossing roads with them down? I now ride with km’s and temp showing. Who cares about rpm on a four stroke. 
Also found the sled is running better in warm temps with DuPont slides. No wear at all this winter, which is impressive. Sliders never froze once to track clips this winter. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

 

 

I have had studs in every sled n my garage for the last 20 years. Never lost a stud once. I got a bad batch of backers for the wife's sled when Studboy made their first run of Pink Plastic backers. I talked to them at the Toronto Sled show and they admitted they had a problem and sent me replacements.

 

I think its the nuts in this case that are too soft. I went through the track and probably 50% of them are loose. In all cases the nuts are shorter than the tight ones. When this sled was in a shop 1.5 years ago, they told me that they tightened a whole bunch of studs. I thought that I hadn't got the studs tight enough on install but I found some tight studs with shorter nuts.

 

I need to install better products.

 

Regardless, the track still looks good so far. I have a bunch that are seized and I'll have to cut those out. Then its off to Royal for some Gold Diggers and new backers.

 

I'm interested in trying an Ice Ripper in the future. If I get an Enduro for the wife then I'll have one around to try. But she is used to regular studs, I'm not sure I want to go backwards in traction for her.

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone one I talk to his happy with ice ripper tracks. Seen way more ice ripper tracks and less with actual studs in them, over last several years. Longer tracks you get away with not needing studs as much I find. Still have to be careful and in central ontario can be real dangerous riding without them on thier hilly terrian as you know. 
Only thing I miss about the studs is ice and snow it chips up to cool sled on hard packed trails. No studs you need scratchers as a back up and ice rippper don’t chip up as much either for cooling. Hope you get it fixed up and back on trail for one more ride. Cheers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never have studs ever. Ice ripper only here. :icon_steer:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 02Sled said:

This is an outdoor pump at a marina where the only ones using it are snowmobilers I believe. I don't think I've seen any out riding with rubber gloves and sanitizer so far. I use a latex glove when filling my truck

 

No you cough and then touch what you coughed all over or sneeze or even the moisture from breathing gets on the nozzle. The new strains are much more infectious with minimal exposure necessary. 

The new strains...............please. And if gas pumps were so infectious why are there thousands of them out there with no auto fill up lock mechanism. Or it should be mandated that they are all full serve.

18 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Still letting people walk right out of the airport.  

Yes its called our constitutional rights.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably my last Saturday ride in the south as temps are going up. Left GTA in the rain and once over the ridges of highway 35/115 it started to snow. Lots of snow. Arrived at Fenelon Fall Superior Propane lot and greeted by a near full lot of trucks and trailers. Plan was a leisurely ride to Hailburton via some of the side trails off the railbed B103 (340 and the B104) to the #7 and stopped at the Pinestone to eat our packed lunches while watching cars race around the ice track. We continued to the north west side of Haliburton where trail #7 and B103 meet again. There were many riders out yesterday. At the #7/B103 junction there was four sledder relaxing another four coming from the north us three from the south and two coming from the east. We returned to Fenelon Falls via B103 and trails were starting to get bumpy. All riders we saw were courteous, stayed on their side of the trail, etc. Many two up riders and family rides.  Overall an excellent day trip clocking in 136km.

20210227_083553.jpg

20210227_090458.jpg

20210227_105251.jpg

20210227_125212.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

 

 

I have had studs in every sled n my garage for the last 20 years. Never lost a stud once. I got a bad batch of backers for the wife's sled when Studboy made their first run of Pink Plastic backers. I talked to them at the Toronto Sled show and they admitted they had a problem and sent me replacements.

 

I think its the nuts in this case that are too soft. I went through the track and probably 50% of them are loose. In all cases the nuts are shorter than the tight ones. When this sled was in a shop 1.5 years ago, they told me that they tightened a whole bunch of studs. I thought that I hadn't got the studs tight enough on install but I found some tight studs with shorter nuts.

 

I need to install better products.

 

Regardless, the track still looks good so far. I have a bunch that are seized and I'll have to cut those out. Then its off to Royal for some Gold Diggers and new backers.

 

I'm interested in trying an Ice Ripper in the future. If I get an Enduro for the wife then I'll have one around to try. But she is used to regular studs, I'm not sure I want to go backwards in traction for her.

 

 

 

 

 

Have not had studs now for just over 10 years, it is nice to not worry about them, but you need to be aware of it though and as long as you are, no issues. I would agree with you though that for the wife or one of my kids, I would likely stud.

I prefer to not over stud a track and only use single backers, large washers & as tall of a nut that you can get away with. Never had any issues with them in the past when I did stud, but I would check for loose nuts periodically as well.....it is the loose nuts that leads to issues no doubt or not catching a stud that is on its way out.

 

I am very curious to see how this Ice Ripper track I went with for my new sled will work.....if it works well, I would forgo the studs for wife and/or kids and go with pre-studded for sure instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

just in from riding local adsc trails. holding up well but roads are bad. plus 6 upon our return, sled at a constant 190. rain in forecast should end it for us locally. might do a trip north next time home 3rd week of march, otherwise this is it me thinks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stoney said:

Have not had studs now for just over 10 years, it is nice to not worry about them, but you need to be aware of it though and as long as you are, no issues. I would agree with you though that for the wife or one of my kids, I would likely stud.

I prefer to not over stud a track and only use single backers, large washers & as tall of a nut that you can get away with. Never had any issues with them in the past when I did stud, but I would check for loose nuts periodically as well.....it is the loose nuts that leads to issues no doubt or not catching a stud that is on its way out.

 

I am very curious to see how this Ice Ripper track I went with for my new sled will work.....if it works well, I would forgo the studs for wife and/or kids and go with pre-studded for sure instead.

I can almost guarantee you will like the ice ripper.  On my 4th sled currently with the 1 1/4" ice ripper,  and ordered both mine and Mrs. Turbo Doos new 2022 sleds with the same. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stoney said:

Studs = Bad

I've never had studs and never needed them anywhere I've ridden. Sure they give you a bit more get up and go but I don't need it. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...