End already ?

Fastwhitecat

50 minutes ago, AceRacer said:

Because, not everyone who owns a snowmobile (a) lives "up north", (b) drives a pickup truck, (c) has room to store a trailer.

The sad truth about this is, if you want to get into the sport, these things are needed, or you might not get out!

You do not need a truck to tow a sled, there are other options.

Trailers can be stored, if need be.....more pain, but possible.

And, just find a friend that already has a truck & trailer....you now have the means and a person to ride with :)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live where trails are still green but still trailerd to ride last week.

Enjoyed every minute  of it.

Yup everything south of Parry Sound is probably done for this year. It  may still get cold in the south but when it is really cold we don't really get snow. The snow comes when the temperature is closer to 0 or a few degrees below but we don't seem to get that anymore. There is no more stable conditions, it is either really cold with no precipitation or well above 0 with rain. Too bad we can't make snow like ski resorts, as that is the only way they survive. In a few more years it might be all ATV's on trails year round south of Barrie ):

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

For me I'm not driving 6 hours one way, paying $125 for a place to sleep overnight that is questionably clean and paying $25 - $30 for a burger and fries for dinner which would be the case in some places.

Why are you not sharing these inexpensive over night and food places with the rest of us? ;-)

2 hours ago, AceRacer said:

Because, not everyone who owns a snowmobile (a) lives "up north", (b) drives a pickup truck, (c) has room to store a trailer.

What about us that run a 7 day 365 a year business. I can go for part of a day but don't have opportunity on a regular basis to go and trailer north. Have a new women now, she is russian (lived there for 14 years) and thinks Canada is a go, go work like crazy country. I might have to pack things up including sleds and off to Russia I go. Should be snow there, one would think. 

I will just stay in sport and ride when I can and buy a sled every 10 years. Not a money issue for me. 

2 hours ago, AceRacer said:

That's my point exactly. Why spend that coin and be grumpy about weather. Just buy an older sled for a couple grand or nothing at all and get into something else. It's like buying a boat and living in the middle of a desert. 

It aint over til its over and if theres one thing for certain the weather is always changing. Sledding is a true capitalist sport, you have to be prepared to capitalize on conditions to have any chance of riding just as business has to capitalize on market when the demand is present. Thats nothing new

Aint no one lining up to buy Atari consoles at K-Mart anymore

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Why are you not sharing these inexpensive over night and food places with the rest of us? ;-)

Midland... was about $50 to $60 a night. That would be the lowest room rate. They fluctuate depending on number of available rooms at the time.  Dinner at Wing House $13 for 1 lb of wings fries and a soft drink.  Port Severn Amco bowl of homemade soup of the day $3.50 for lunch that is if you need lunch... breakfast there which can keep me going until dinner is under $10.

If you really want to go the economy route.... get a muff pot for making a hot lunch. Nice sausage on a bun. I tend not to go to The Boathouse on the Midland waterfront. Pricey and not that good. If it was better quality I would probably pay the price.  

1 hour ago, crispy said:

It aint over til its over and if theres one thing for certain the weather is always changing. Sledding is a true capitalist sport, you have to be prepared to capitalize on conditions to have any chance of riding just as business has to capitalize on market when the demand is present. Thats nothing new

Aint no one lining up to buy Atari consoles at K-Mart anymore

:rotflmao: Surprisingly I still have one of those Atari game systems and took it north last summer for those rainy days. It was more fun than I anticipated.

I will spend what I need to in order to enjoy the sport. You want to play you have to pay. However I will shop for the best value I can find. Value doesn't mean the lowest price necessarily. If the lowest price room comes with bugs and dirt... no thanks.

My limitation I think tends to be more on the amount of time I am willing to put in behind the wheel.

Time is the sumbitch for sure. Hard to have the dough, the time, and the conditions all lined up to be able to cut and run off to the good riding places when conditions are ripe. Then theres the mechanical pitfalls. I put a stud through a heat exchanger leaving the breakfast restaurant that siezed the engine on a brand new sled once the very first day of our first week long Cochrane tour. Idiot light no gauge bright sunny day didnt see it mostly because I was to the bars white knuckled yee haw. I managed to get parts and rebuild it myself but it cost me, and a couple of days running around. Another big trip my fuel line rubbed on the jackshaft somehow and leaked which was a 5 minute fix but on the side of the trail two hours out? That one sucked lemme tell ya

Then the crash factor

Why do we do this again? Haha

braaaap

11 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Absolutely... I have seen the area around southern Georgian Bay and east get 3 ft. of heavy snow overnight. I recall a few years ago waiting for it to snow then suddenly mid January we got dumped on overnight. So much so that the groomers were having a challenge dealing with so much snow at one time.

As for trailering... I'm willing to do that within limits. For me I'm not driving 6 hours one way, paying $125 for a place to sleep overnight that is questionably clean and paying $25 - $30 for a burger and fries for dinner which would be the case in some places. I will drive about 3 hours but that's about it.

If i have the time, the funds, there’s good conditions, and I’m desperate, then I’ll drive wherever. The closer the better. But it is nice having no choice sometimes but to travel to a different destination. New sights, new places, new people etc. Low snow forces you to travel, and I usually take advantage of it if I can. The next year you could be riding from home a lot which isn’t expensive at all.

On 19/01/2018 at 7:41 PM, thetorches said:

Hey Ty. We should rent a DC-3, load it up with sleds and you can fly us up north some where.

:D that would be great but renting a plane costs big bucks. Actually I and a few buddies stayed at the Best Western a few years back then took the snow train from Cochrane to Moosonee and did 3 days sledding crossing the ice bridge to Moose Factory etc. Had a blast. Snow is going to come again Terry don't worry.

I went to the boat show today and Yamaha had the Sidewinder on display. Attracted a lot of attention. 

Boat show worth going to this year? Heard it wasn’t the greatest...

29 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

:D that would be great but renting a plane costs big bucks. Actually I and a few buddies stayed at the Best Western a few years back then took the snow train from Cochrane to Moosonee and did 3 days sledding crossing the ice bridge to Moose Factory etc. Had a blast. Snow is going to come again Terry don't worry.

I went to the boat show today and Yamaha had the Sidewinder on display. Attracted a lot of attention. 

That would be a good trip. Hopefully someone gets snow this week. Did you pick up a new sidewinder.

I recall many years ago riding up to Moosonee in the winter on the train and it stopped in the middle of nowhere to drop off some sledders and their machines...

no way its done!!  Next weekend looks like a huge storm is coming in on Sunday up in Halliburton area, Yes its a week away but lets hope it happens and they are right.  Calling for 30cm sunday and up to 10 Monday.  Fingers crossed and toes crossed LOL

10 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Boat show worth going to this year? Heard it wasn’t the greatest...

Lots of boats on display and crowded. Had 16k - 500k along with canoes and kayaks. Took me 5hrs to look around and didn't see all.

The water show was entertaining. 

10 hours ago, thetorches said:

That would be a good trip. Hopefully someone gets snow this week. Did you pick up a new sidewinder.

Haha ... I had long discussion with Yamaha representative.  All we spoke about was the lack of snow and how great the Winter started. Would have liked one but .... winters nowadays are not encouraging :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, gobills said:

no way its done!!  Next weekend looks like a huge storm is coming in on Sunday up in Halliburton area, Yes its a week away but lets hope it happens and they are right.  Calling for 30cm sunday and up to 10 Monday.  Fingers crossed and toes crossed LOL

Showing lots of rain first before it changes to snow. Might be all rain or all snow, never know yet. 

Tons of snow in the forecast! If it holds, lots of places will reopen...

57 minutes ago, gobills said:

next weekVR not this week

Next week too. Hailburton shows plus 5 on Saturday and 15 mm of rain, maybe snow on Monday. https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/14-day-weather-trend/ontario/haliburton

Archived