Snowmobile Fatalities 2016-2017

Blake G

11 minutes ago, Nunz said:

I respect your opinion but in a case like this it would be wise of you to avoid making comments when u you don't know what really happened and out of respect for the families involved to not pass judgment on a situation like this. I know for a fact they were not speeding or being reckless. 

The comment wasn't directed towards this incident at all. I was just commenting on what I see out on trails that are used as logging roads. Some people think they are autobaun. I can see future access could be a problem too. I have great respect to both snowmobiling family and trucker's family too.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nunz said:

I respect your opinion but in a case like this it would be wise of you to avoid making comments when u you don't know what really happened and out of respect for the families involved to not pass judgment on a situation like this. I know for a fact they were not speeding or being reckless. 

I replied to news post where,people automatically say "speed".we know all the trails are icy,but not everywhere just some spots.like hitting black ice on hwy,just a terrible accident.

Very sad.  IIRC, that is the logging section on A103 to the Canyon.  Always something to watch out for on these sections, and sometimes, there isn't much space or time to get out of the way.

that was my buddy that got hit by the truck,   thanks everyone for the condolences,  was not what we were expecting to happen on our first trip to cochrane

1 hour ago, Nyordrms said:

that was my buddy that got hit by the truck,   thanks everyone for the condolences,  was not what we were expecting to happen on our first trip to cochrane

Sorry to hear that.

Very sad to hear and see the sled on the flat bed this morning at the thriftlodge as we were heading out for breakfast before riding today. My first time to Cochrane and doing the loop as well. Condolences to family and friends. 

Just read some remarks on the Timmins news reports. With all respect one thing that is not mentioned is the fact that the sled was not studded. I'm only mentioning it because it is a safety issue than can save lives. Outfit your sleds with traction devices folks for everyone's sake. 600$ worth of these things are worth more than we know until it's to late. Again, sorry for the loss of the family and friends. 

8 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Very sad to hear and see the sled on the flat bed this morning at the thriftlodge as we were heading out for breakfast before riding today. My first time to Cochrane and doing the loop as well. Condolences to family and friends. 

Just read some remarks on the Timmins news reports. With all respect one thing that is not mentioned is the fact that the sled was not studded. I'm only mentioning it because it is a safety issue than can save lives. Outfit your sleds with traction devices folks for everyone's sake. 600$ worth of these things are worth more than we know until it's to late. Again, sorry for the loss of the family and friends. 

Thanks for bringing up the subject of studs / carbides. I can't agree more with you. With the horsepower of even the most average of machines today, studding is imperative now. Also, with the uncertain weather conditions, floater suits and ice picks as well. 

1 hour ago, Panther340 said:

Another reported this afternoon near Bracebridge

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/another-snowmobile-fatal-accident-564220

What could they possibly have been riding on. All the trails are closed around MacTier and essentially the snow is gone.

18 hours ago, Nyordrms said:

Will there be donation arrangements setup by the family, that members could give too if they desire. That would be helpful.

Polar Bear Riders posted another near miss in the same spot today.

20 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

no our sleds are not studded as theres no real need for them down here where we live,  but i will also say that even if it was studded it would not have changed the outcome of this accident

5 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Will there be donation arrangements setup by the family, that members could give too if they desire. That would be helpful.

yes there will be,  ill post the link as soon as it up,

thanks for the kind words,  its truly a hard time for all,  one of my best friends,  knew each other for 17 years,  leave behind a 12 year old son and a 15 year old daughter, and a fiancé,  

his fiancé thanks u all, 
One thing she said to me was Alteast He died doing what he loved doing,

Thanks Again Everyone

I could not imagine what you are going through.

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/snowmobile-deaths-double-last-season-say-opp-564002

Snowmobile deaths double last season say OPP

Men in their fifties and sixties make up the majority of this season's snowmobile deaths, with 15 of the 20 deceased within these age groups

about 13 hours ago by: BayToday Staff
snowmobile accident AdobeStock_121479716 2017
File photo

With fatal snowmobile incidents now more than double the number this time last season, OPP and Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs are dismayed to see the same behaviours drive the numbers up at an alarming rate, says a news release. 

Fatal snowmobile incidents and resulting deaths now sit at 20 for the season, compared to eight such incidents and 11 deaths to this time last year. 

"Thirteen of the deaths have occurred within the past six weeks. The causes and contributing factors clearly reflect snowmobilers' ongoing disregard for their own safety and that of their fellow riders and passengers."

• Twelve of the deceased either collided with a tree, a rock, a snowbank, a road vehicle or another snowmobile.
  • Speeding excessively, too fast for the conditions and/or losing control of their snowmobiles were actions in nine of the incidents.
  • Four of the snowmobilers were travelling on frozen waterways. Three of them encountered open water and the fourth fell through the ice. Sadly, in one of those incidents, a young passenger died.  
  • Driver inattention was the primary cause of four fatalities. 
  • A lone snowmobiler died of hypothermia after her snowmobile became stuck in the snow - a harsh reminder of what can happen when you do not pack an emergency kit for each ride.   

Seventeen males and three females, which include a 16-year-old and an 11-year-old girl, have been killed to date. 

According to OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair, the prominent demographics among the deceased may come as a surprise to some and are telling in terms of the attitudes and behaviours among some Ontario snowmobilers.

"Men in their fifties and sixties make up the majority of this season's snowmobile deaths, with 15 of the 20 deceased within these age groups.  What snowmobilers and their families need to take away from this is that even those with considerable driving experience - be it on a snowmobile or in a road vehicle - are equally vulnerable to the inherent risks associated with this popular, yet high-risk recreational sport," said Blair.

The OPP is urging snowmobilers to stay off lakes and rivers, the conditions of which are deteriorating rapidly in many parts of the province. Family members are also encouraged to help their loved ones make smart decisions before they head out, to help ensure a safe return home from their ride.   

4 hours ago, Nyordrms said:

no our sleds are not studded as theres no real need for them down here where we live,  but i will also say that even if it was studded it would not have changed the outcome of this accident

I was reluctant to make the edited post about the studs and noticing it on your friends sled when I saw it. It wasn't intended to place blame or reason for this accident. I'm sorry you've lost a friend in this way. I lost a best friend to a freak drowning accident 5 years ago and am ampathetic to your situation. It was just to promote awareness to things that can help minimize these accidents and ways that traction products do help avoid them. I wasn't in any way jumping to conclusions that it was the sole reason for the accident like others have by saying it was due to speed or recklessness or hp of modern sleds etc in the Timmins post or wherever the article has been written. I rode that section Yesterday and can't imagine how speed had anything to do with it because you can't ride that section beyond 20kmh right now. It's dirt, grass and gravel with little snow on the edges. I have to say it was just a freak accident and unfortunately at the wrong place at the wrong time but I wasn't there and can't say for sure because I don't know. It does happen and could happen to anyone, at anytime. None of my post was ill intended. God bless 

On 16/03/2017 at 9:09 PM, Nyordrms said:

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend.  Condolences to you and family.

Logging roads are not to be messed with up here.  They're hauling wood out as quickly as possible, fighting a nasty climate under pressure from the mills to get the wood.  (not saying the trucks are speeding, but remember, they ARE hauling on a logging road).    They have minimal ability to take evasive action, so when faced with a sledder crossing their path or riding along the road, their capacity to stop is close to nil.

Everyone get home safe.  Prudence is Free.

6 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

I was reluctant to make the edited post about the studs and noticing it on your friends sled when I saw it. It wasn't intended to place blame or reason for this accident. I'm sorry you've lost a friend in this way. I lost a best friend to a freak drowning accident 5 years ago and am ampathetic to your situation. It was just to promote awareness to things that can help minimize these accidents and ways that traction products do help avoid them. I wasn't in any way jumping to conclusions that it was the sole reason for the accident like others have by saying it was due to speed or recklessness or hp of modern sleds etc in the Timmins post or wherever the article has been written. I rode that section Yesterday and can't imagine how speed had anything to do with it because you can't ride that section beyond 20kmh right now. It's dirt, grass and gravel with little snow on the edges. I have to say it was just a freak accident and unfortunately at the wrong place at the wrong time but I wasn't there and can't say for sure because I don't know. It does happen and could happen to anyone, at anytime. None of my post was ill intended. God bless 

Just about everyone on here have nothing but the very best of intentions. When a sledder goes down, we all feel the loss and pain in our community of winter people and we all tend to close our ranks tighter together to prevent any more losses. Every time one of us expresses condolences we want that to be the last. 

On 2017-03-16 at 9:09 PM, Nyordrms said:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and fellow sledder.

My condolences to his family, you and your friends.

So tragic that you and your friends had to witness the accident. Time will heal.

You and your friends will always remember it was a freak accident and as his fiance said he at least died doing something he loved.

5 hours ago, Blake G said:

I saw the video of where they were searching on the news and can't believe anyone would be trying to run ice in that condition. Sad to have another loss.

Find the age group interesting 3/4s in their 50s and 60s

We always blame the teens and men in their early 20s

I rode with a group last month,and 3 of the guys were in their late 50s and early 60s, they ride fast. Still remember in the mid 90s riding with a buddy's friend's father and his gang and i could barely keep up, one guy ended up in the bush busting his sled up real good.

My main riding group is 35-45yrs of age and we all wear tekvest, tether etc, even thoughwe ride off trail mostly, whem this group rides trails we are rarely above 40-50mph vs the group i rode last monrh do 70-80mph, which is not in my comfort zone

Archived