2017 Permits on Sale - Who will be first

02Sled

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian I don't think the MOTS plan calls for any real differences in the revenue disbursement to the districts.

20 minutes ago, NiagaraKev said:

We can't control the weather ...

I have my permits and fingers crossed ...

I did ride up in the Barry's Bay area last year ...seemed to be lots of snow out that way ....a lot better than Huntsville and Bracebridge ...

Long drive for a weekend though ...

To me it would be a long drive for a weekend as well. We have friends in Mississauga who have a trailer in an RV park in Barry's Bay and make that trip each week through the summer. We also have friends who make the drive from Woodstock to Port Severn each weekend. Not for me. I'm good for 1 1/2 to 2 hours typically.

18 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

After an hour and a half, I am seized up so bad that I can hardly get out of the truck.

I'm good for about an hour then I have to stop and walk around.

we drive from central lower Michigan, to Dubreuilville, several times a month. usually up Friday afternoon, back sunday night. 475 miles one way. with a good quick border crossing, it usually is about 8 hours one way. fastest we have made it is 7 hour 5 minutes. (one stop for pee, fuel, eat). throw in construction, weather, traffic, an accident on any of the roads, stopping for groceries, ect... turns into 10 hours REALLY EASILY!

still worth it, we unwind up there ALOT FASTER than at home. Ski

I would sincerely be looking at near time retirement up there ski. So much wasted enjoyment time on the road. I realize you and Lynne are still working but I personally don't enjoy time on the road. At least the time you get up there is quality time.

3 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Is the disbursement of Trail Permit revenues changing this season or does last year's system continue for another year?

The 30% of pre-Nov 1 sales was sent to the Districts on Friday. The next distribution is Dec 15th.  This will include the net of 30% of Total pre -Dec 1 sales and 30% of Standard Cost allowances. 

The rest of the payments are scheduled for Jan 15th, Feb 28th and May 31st. 

Like in previous years, the success of the program depends on accurately staff can update the forecasts for the Jan/Feb pyts so the Districts avoid getting into a repayment scenario like last year. 

Some of you have discussed the volume of permit sales this year.

Here's an interesting excerpt posted online last week and updated today:

http://www.northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/building-the-worlds-best-snowmobile-destination-summit

Mr Clewer revealed that 63,500 permits have already been sold during the 2017 early bird sales period. That’s an increase from last year’s early bird sales so overall permit sales are expected to be higher this season. The OFSC is working on a number of initiatives to help combat their current challenges including multi-year permits, restructuring organizations for better use of resources and improving the volunteer experience. These challenges including ageing groomer fleets, lack of volunteers and a financial deficit of 2.5 million dollars due to the costs of grooming, trail maintenance, insurance, regional and provincial support along with investments of new groomers. Last year, expenses totalled 21million dollars while only 18.5 million dollars in revenues were acquired from permit sales, grants and fundraising. The OFSC was forced to cut groomer expenses to make up for the deficit.

17 hours ago, Blake G said:

http://www.northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/building-the-worlds-best-snowmobile-destination-summit

Mr Clewer revealed that 63,500 permits have already been sold during the 2017 early bird sales period. That’s an increase from last year’s early bird sales so overall permit sales are expected to be higher this season. The OFSC is working on a number of initiatives to help combat their current challenges including multi-year permits, restructuring organizations for better use of resources and improving the volunteer experience. These challenges including ageing groomer fleets, lack of volunteers and a financial deficit of 2.5 million dollars due to the costs of grooming, trail maintenance, insurance, regional and provincial support along with investments of new groomers. Last year, expenses totalled 21million dollars while only 18.5 million dollars in revenues were acquired from permit sales, grants and fundraising. The OFSC was forced to cut groomer expenses to make up for the deficit.

It's great that collectively they have recognized that there is an opportunity to make the north a snowmobiling destination. They also referenced people going to Las Vegas for gambling, not because it's the only place but there are so many places in Vegas.

Some of what I have found online leads me to think that they may have some challenges to overcome in making it the destination that they want it to be. One is the cost of some things like accommodations. When I checked Jan 20 to Jan 23 for example for Timmins I got a range from a high of $155 a night for the Best Western Swan Castle Inn to a low of $53 for Days Inn. Mid range seems to be $109 + tax., It's about an 8 hour drive each way from Toronto, so fuel, hotel, meals and sled gas make it a destination that you won't do frequently. At least not me.

Leave on Sunday and arrive that day. 6 nights accommodation at $109 + tax $740. Gas to get there and back $200. Sled gas $40 per day or more = $200+. Meals $65 a day $325. Total ballpark $1500 for the week. If I take my wife along the cost ends up closer to $2000.

In comparison my wife and I can go to Vegas, flight hotel and taxes for the same time Flamingo for $679 per person to $1243 for Bellagio.

It's a perceived value proposition. They can do it but they need to do some really good marketing to bring the people there. Vegas used to have the $0.99 all you can eat buffet as an enticement for example. I suspect that there are rooms that are sitting empty in Timmins often even during sled season.

Offer things like stay 4 nights get the 5th free. Really when you think about it if it's empty what is it costing them besides hydro and housekeeping for the extra night. Or if they have an on site restaurant discounted meals for guests. I was staying in Montreal at a Marriott a lot this time last year. They had a free buffet breakfast for guests and it was a real breakfast not just cereal and muffins. I hope it works for them. The room was about $110 a night. They also had a small free dinner buffet with things like burritos or mini burgers etc.

I am thinking I would like to take a week this winter.... when it's not -40.

17 hours ago, Blake G said:

Mr Clewer revealed that 63,500 permits have already been sold during the 2017 early bird sales period. That’s an increase from last year’s early bird sales ...

While 63500, if accurate does reflect an increase, the actual pre-Nov 1 figures for last year were 63115, made up of 57545 Full Season and 5570 Classics.  Unfortunately, this is not reflected in our club's sales as we are down about 11 % in Full Season and down 26% Classic.

17 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

While 63500, if accurate does reflect an increase, the actual pre-Nov 1 figures for last year were 63115, made up of 57545 Full Season and 5570 Classics.  Unfortunately, this is not reflected in our club's sales as we are down about 11 % in Full Season and down 26% Classic.

Did you guys open last season? I think you were limited on the railbed a few times.

Quite possibly fence sitters waiting on conditions...

30 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Did you guys open last season? I think you were limited on the railbed a few times.

I know a couple of people who are doing just that.... rolling the dice. When the snow comes they will buy their permits and pay the premium. If it doesn't they will leave the sleds parked and save the money. For one of them it's a 4 permit family. He says he won't throw away almost $800 two years in a row.

33 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

You are right that we only opened a few of our trails for a weekend.  It was a pathetic winter, as we all know.  I hope you are right about the fence sitters.

Quite honestly, I am surprised that sales are as high as they are, especially with the push back we are hearing about online only.

59 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

You are right that we only opened a few of our trails for a weekend.  It was a pathetic winter, as we all know.  I hope you are right about the fence sitters.

Quite honestly, I am surprised that sales are as high as they are, especially with the push back we are hearing about online only.

Online Permit sales last year were at about 85% of total permits sold. 

People will grumble about online only permits but its part of the growing pains. 

I havent heard to much other than a few this is BS comments with no reason for why.. 

It will be interesting to see what November brings... A strong seasonal shift is suppose to take place in a week with an "Artic outbreak" so hopefully that comes to fruition and we see another permit spike in sales....

D12 is right on budget estimates

7 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Online Permit sales last year were at about 85% of total permits sold. 

People will grumble about online only permits but its part of the growing pains. 

I havent heard to much other than a few this is BS comments with no reason for why.. 

It will be interesting to see what November brings... A strong seasonal shift is suppose to take place in a week with an "Artic outbreak" so hopefully that comes to fruition and we see another permit spike in sales....

I gave you reasons Paul. If you think they are BS then I know that you are turning your back on the old die hard sledders. At my age, I don't need things to be harder for me but if I am no longer of use to the sport then say so.

On 11/7/2016 at 7:18 PM, skidooboy said:

we drive from central lower Michigan, to Dubreuilville, several times a month. usually up Friday afternoon, back sunday night. 475 miles one way. with a good quick border crossing, it usually is about 8 hours one way. fastest we have made it is 7 hour 5 minutes. (one stop for pee, fuel, eat). throw in construction, weather, traffic, an accident on any of the roads, stopping for groceries, ect... turns into 10 hours REALLY EASILY!

still worth it, we unwind up there ALOT FASTER than at home. Ski

I looked up "hard core sledder" on the internet. Found this. ^^^^^^^^ wowzza!

Mine came in the mail yesterday.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

I gave you reasons Paul. If you think they are BS then I know that you are turning your back on the old die hard sledders. At my age, I don't need things to be harder for me but if I am no longer of use to the sport then say so.

Huh? 

Where is this coming from? 

When did you and I converse on this topic? 

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Mine came in the mail yesterday.

I ordered mine Oct 9, it was shipped Oct 13, has not arrived.  Ordered Moosifer's Oct 31, it arrived Tuesday.  Go figure!

I ordered mine on the 30th.

49 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I ordered mine Oct 9, it was shipped Oct 13, has not arrived.  Ordered Moosifer's Oct 31, it arrived Tuesday.  Go figure!

Maybe your mail man is a sledder 

2 hours ago, zoso said:

What is stopping people from buying a 2 day pass and altering the day on photoshop then reprinting it each time they ride. How do we stop this from becoming a way to ride for free.

Thats exactly why I don't like the multi day permits! Theres no real way for patrollers to figure that out in a timely manner. Needs a better system for sure. 

Archived