Help planning the northern big loop

gsx6

Hi all.

New to the form and as the title says ,looking for help planning the big loop now that it is opened back up.

A little back ground on our group is we have all been sledding for years and always do one big trip a year. Normally we go to Quebec (been going for almost 20 years) but with the big loop opening back up I want to do it because I never have and not 100% sure it will stay open in the future. Our group is 6-8 guys all riding newer iron. We like to hit the trails early and prefer to get to the next stop over just before dark or just after and we like to put on the miles, but not everyday(1 or 2 easier days are nice).

Our rough plan as of right now is:

Day 1 : Trailer to Kirkland Lake (looking for accommodation recommendations)

Day 2 : Ride to Cochrane, (open to route options) stay at Westway

Day 3 : Ride up to Abitibi and down to Kap ( possibly push to Hearst ,looking for milage)(looking for accommodation recommendations)

Day 4 : Hearst to Dubreuiville stay at Magpie

Day 5 : Dubrieuville to Chapleau (looking for accommodation recommendations) 

Day 6 : Chapleau to Timmins (looking for accommodation recommendations)

Day 7 : Timmins to Kirkland Lake. Drive home

Accommodations prefer a to be a little nicer over a little tougher, needs to be comfortable and clean.

Any areas of concern as far as fuel 

Must do's for the trip are the canyon, stop to see Luc (Groomer Guy) and Halfway Haven

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Plan on leaving Feb 28 and home Mar 5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like great trip! Here is some advice I can give-

Day 1- I have stayed at the comfort inn several times and enjoyed the continental breakfast and the secure truck and trailer parking they offer and groomed trail to the hotel. There is a new hotel right across the the road the microtel just opened this year.

Day 2- Quick ride to Cochrane if you take the A trail north the whole way 200 km. If you take the a11c into Timmins then up the C trail it will add some more km's for a longer day. 

Day 3-  Up to the canyon and down to Kap would be about 300 km and pushing it all the way to Hearst would be closer to 400km. Denis should be able to help with info on accommodations in these areas better then I can.

I haven't been that far west yet so I cant really help you with accommodations in Chapleau. If I remember correctly there is several places to stay in Timmins. 

Super 8 in Kap is nice. 

Companion in Hearst.

looks like your day three is what needs to be looked at further. that is a HUGE chunk of miles, and that will effect the rest of the trips mileage days. I would think it would be better to stay 2 days in Cochrane... ride up to Cochrane, then ride up to the canyon and back to Cochrane that day. then you could be off to hearst the next.  others will chime in and give their thoughts. good luck, have fun, post trip updates. Ski

Super 8 in Kap for sure, even if they don't have a restaurant in-house.  You can order any kind of food you like, just about everyone delivers.  Pool and hottub also.

Companion in Hearst is first choice (heated garage for sleds, and restaurant in-house).  Queens Motel 2nd, pool and sauna, right next to the Companion.  A trail access to back door of both, and a block down from B&B Sports Ski-doo dealership I wrench at.  Can ride to the shop from the motel.  We're East of the motels.

Hearst-Dub should be an easy day, the wife and I ride to Hornepayne in a couple of hours, 160 km Hearst-Hornepayne, and less to Dub so no fuel issues.

Welcome to the forum GSX6. Great first post and I will continue to enjoy reading all the answers to your question. Please post trail reports and pictures while on your trip if possible.

Super 8 in Kap for sure, even if they don't have a restaurant in-house.  You can order any kind of food you like, just about everyone delivers.  Pool and hottub also.

Companion in Hearst is first choice (heated garage for sleds, and restaurant in-house).  Queens Motel 2nd, pool and sauna, right next to the Companion.  A trail access to back door of both, and a block down from B&B Sports Ski-doo dealership I wrench at.  Can ride to the shop from the motel.  We're East of the motels.

Hearst-Dub should be an easy day, the wife and I ride to Hornepayne in a couple of hours, 160 km Hearst-Hornepayne, and less to Dub so no fuel issues.

What are the accommodations options for hornepayne? The only place I can find online is Uncles and what is the opinion of it? 

For day three from Cochrane up to canyon and stay in Kap, then next day to Hornepayne, is Hornepayne to chapleau doo able? What would the milage estimate be?

you can call the edc (economic development center) in hornepayne, I think they may offer bachelorettes in town still. they have to have some sort of lodging for cn's rail workers.

as far as mileage, you are robbing peter to pay paul... taking a super long day in the canyon and pushing it to a super long day on the 4-5th day. 

hornepayne to dub approx. 86-100 miles depending on which trail is open (I hear the long side will be open but, possible logging on the short side).

dub to wawa approx. 50-60 trail miles depending on route

dub to halfway haven, approx. 85 trail miles (if you don't get turned around in town or bush) and it depends how much you play on the hydro line

halfway to chapleau approx. 60 miles on the wilderness trail.

that will be a 300+ mile day. miles not km's.

if you shorten that day up, and stay at halfway haven... your next day to timmins will be 235 miles, then whatever it is to KL.

hard to split it up, without a super huge mileage day, or riding well into the dark. maybe ac/ya can shed some better light and riding miles, times, lodging splits with you... he and his family have done this probably more than most that live in/near the area.

Ski

Welcome to the forum, We did pretty close to the same trip a couple of winters ago,

The Comfort Inn in Kirkland Lake is your best bet for sure great staging area.

Westway in Cochrane is a good choice unless you want to try the North Adventure Inn with the new owners.

Cochrane to Hearst is a good ride, little long but good for sure. The Companion is a great place to stay, Heated garage is a big plus.

We have stayed at the Super 8 in Kap and one of my favourite places to stay..

We stayed at Uncles and would never stay there again, rooms were dirty and restaurant left lots to be desired.

We stayed at Valentine Farms in Chapleau but I believe he is now closed/Sold,

Hope this helps you a bit.

Nunz

Running up to the canyon from Cocrane while starting early and then down the other side to Smooth Rock Falls where you will fill up again puts you over to the west and not having to back track. If you just check out the area around Base Camp by the dam and get gas, you should have an easy day's finish in Kap. You will pass the Moonbeam Clubhouse and if it is open be sure to stop and have something.

If you want to make it a longer day, you can gas again in Kap and run to Hearst. The Companion has a nice restaurant and bar but the hot tub is gone. The Queens Motel is just a few steps across the driveway from the Companion Hotel and you can still keep your sleds in the heated garage at the Companion for $2 each more than the upcharge if you actually stay at the Companion. The heated garage is not included in the room rates, but the $10 gives you a de-iced sled and a nice place to look over the sleds or heaven forbid, work on them. The Skidoo Dealer is is across the street and down a bit. The Arctic Cat Dealer is only about triple that distance in the same direction only on the other side (north) of the tracks. We often show up without reservations and end up at the Queens Motel which is fine and gives all the use of the Companion's bar/restaurant with only a 20 meter walk between doors.

I don't think Hornepayne has the best accommodations, so I would run down to Dub from either Kap or Hearst. These runs will be on some of the fastest/easiest running trails that exist. Caution on the trails running next to the Hwy. west of Hearst. Very easy and fast, but have watched members of my groups land hard after cresting some of the beautiful hills and flying too far and landing down in the flats on the other side.

Dub to Chapleau is a nice day and you will get gas in Wawa and then again at Halfway Haven. Then it's only about 65 miles to Chapleau depending on the route which splits as you run north on the other side of 129. I recommend the route next to the road as it is much quicker then the Devon Loop. Chapleau has a number of Hotel's and a B&B which I prefer. The name is Valentine's B&B and the trail runs directly past it and they have inside sled parking, although not heated it is always warmer inside and out of sight with doors closed. You will actually drive by Valentines to go over to the Aux Trois Moulins Motel which does have a restaurant and drinks. We often eat dinner there, but the custom breakfast at Valentines before going out in the morning is great!

The run to Timmins from Chapleau will be a nice day.

My daughter and I have run this loop many times and in both directions. Some of the nicest trails you can ride in the north. There are loops from the Moonbeam area over to Hearst which we mix in every trip also.

Should be a great experience!

Too bad the Moose Motel in Smooth Rock Falls is so poorly reviewed. It seems like a 'natural' stop (tm - STG)  when riding from Cochrane, up to Canyon and then down the west side hydro lines. 

What are the accommodations options for hornepayne? The only place I can find online is Uncles and what is the opinion of it? 

For day three from Cochrane up to canyon and stay in Kap, then next day to Hornepayne, is Hornepayne to chapleau doo able? What would the milage estimate be?

I would absolutely not look at staying in Hornepayne.  Gas & go, maybe a sandwich at the Esso (subs, hot sandwiches via microwave oven).  Young lad at the Esso was very courteous with us last year, he informed us that even he wouldn't stay at Uncles' .... and he's family ....  And add to the mix that the Hornepayne mill will be laying off all 150 workers, there's no telling what accomodations will be left by riding season.

Anyone know why I can't log in on my cell phone? Using Samsung Galaxy

Works on my Bell Galaxy S4 ...

We stayed at Valentine Farms in Chapleau but I believe he is now closed/Sold,

Hope this helps you a bit.

Nunz

Nunz, you are correct on Valentine B&B not being open for this snow season which is the second year in a row. They are still open, but have had the opportunity to contract the entire place out to workers on local winter projects. Thus, the Aux Trois Moulins Motel may be the best bet in Chapleau. I called to get this info today.

Scott

not to side track the thread but, denis, matt... are they really closing Haavaldsrud mill in hornepayne?

can someone get me a lumber wrap with the haavaldsrud logo on it (the ones that go over the pallettted lumber on the trucks)? I want to start a collection of these, and put them on the garage wall in dubreuilville like banners or flags. I wanted to get one from each regional community. Ski

not to side track the thread but, denis, matt... are they really closing Haavaldsrud mill in hornepayne?

Ski

Yup. Announced Monday morning.

Great information. Any thoughts on Hotel in Timmins? Stayed at the Ramada Inn years ago and it was good with the trail right behind the hotel. Is the Ramada still in good shape or does anyone have preferences to another Hotel.

Hi all.

New to the form and as the title says ,looking for help planning the big loop now that it is opened back up.

A little back ground on our group is we have all been sledding for years and always do one big trip a year. Normally we go to Quebec (been going for almost 20 years) but with the big loop opening back up I want to do it because I never have and not 100% sure it will stay open in the future. Our group is 6-8 guys all riding newer iron. We like to hit the trails early and prefer to get to the next stop over just before dark or just after and we like to put on the miles, but not everyday(1 or 2 easier days are nice).

Our rough plan as of right now is:

Day 1 : Trailer to Kirkland Lake (looking for accommodation recommendations)

Day 2 : Ride to Cochrane, (open to route options) stay at Westway

Day 3 : Ride up to Abitibi and down to Kap ( possibly push to Hearst ,looking for milage)(looking for accommodation recommendations)

Day 4 : Hearst to Dubreuiville stay at Magpie

Day 5 : Dubrieuville to Chapleau (looking for accommodation recommendations) 

Day 6 : Chapleau to Timmins (looking for accommodation recommendations)

Day 7 : Timmins to Kirkland Lake. Drive home

Accommodations prefer a to be a little nicer over a little tougher, needs to be comfortable and clean.

Any areas of concern as far as fuel 

Must do's for the trip are the canyon, stop to see Luc (Groomer Guy) and Halfway Haven

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Plan on leaving Feb 28 and home Mar 5

First of all, if this is your first stab at planning a trip in this area, Kudos to you! I think you have things figured out pretty well.

Here are some of my thoughts for what its worth.

-If you haven't already, get to one of Revrnd's posts here on OC and click on his accommodation/mileage link in his signature. That's an awesome source for planning mileage.

-Make your big mile days in the areas with fast trails. Lots to choose from.

-The choice of staying in Kap or going to Hearst is the first hard choice. Off the top of my head, Cochrane/Canyon/Smooth Rock/Kap is about 210 miles and Hearst is an additional 90 miles. So, a 210 mile day or a 300 mile day.  300 is a lot BUT Fraserdale to Smooth Rock is fast. Smooth Rock to Kap to Hearst is fast. 

- If you decide to stay in Kap, with the next night in Dub, I would suggest fueling and staying at the west end of town. The accommodations may not be best in town but the next day is a big day of about 290 miles. Staying at the west end will mean close to 1/2 hour advantage in the morning vs. staying at the east end. That being said, Hearst to Dub is all good fast trail. 

-Kap and Hearst are good towns to get repairs done in. After Hearst, not much for dealers before Wawa. After Wawa, Timmins is next for dealer choices.

-Dub to Chapleau is doable but not as fast, at least as far as Halfway. (I haven't been from Halfway to Chapleau)

Chapleau to Folyet is a work for your miles trail  IMHO or at least it used to be so Chapleau to Timmins is a good day. Stop at the restaurant in Folyet and get a pic with the albino moose head See the next post. If you get to Timmins early and you like fast, the C trail north to the junction and back is a treat.

-Last day is a good finish.

-I always try to plan big days earlier in the trip. That way if you loose some time with a breakdown later on, it isn't as hard to get back on schedule.

Your Quebec experiences will likely be tough to beat but you picked the right area.

Hope you have a great and memorable trip!

In 2012 our group stayed at Riverside Cabins in Hornpayne. I don't know if they are still in business but if they are, I'd highly recommend them. The owner will prepare dinner for you if pre-arranged. There number was 807-868-2807.

Great information. Any thoughts on Hotel in Timmins? Stayed at the Ramada Inn years ago and it was good with the trail right behind the hotel. Is the Ramada still in good shape or does anyone have preferences to another Hotel.

The Super 8 at the east end was refurbished a couple of years ago. Restaurant right next door. I think its a Casey's. Fuel at the Esso is just to the west..

I second the thoughts on Uncle's. . . . But there is also Rock's Hunt Camp in Hornepayne for accommodations.  Last year Nick supported the club and I believe he is again this year.  They are rustic but winterized bunkhouses with kitchen facilities and I believe there is a pool table and fireplace in the main lodge.  They are close to the highway on the airport road about 1/4 mile from where the trail crosses the airport road.  I believe he charges $30 per night per person.  For food the "Chip Stand" moved indoors last March and serves breakfast now and is open until 7 or 8.   As well the Hospital (yes I laughed the first time I heard it too) does a good job for lunch if you are looking for a soup/sandwich and during the week does an excellent salad bar.  It is where we go if we want to have lunch out as a staff.  As a bonus it is right on the trail as you are heading out of town going south.  

As far as the mill closing they did lay off all the workers last Friday for 3 weeks.  It is a dispute between the new owner of the mill who built the Cogen plant and the Ontario Power Authority regarding how much power the Cogen can sell to the grid.  The contract was changed in the middle of the construction process and apparently under the current terms the mill/cogen cannot be run at a profit.  If things are not changed then the owner will shut things down for good.  There are lots of opinions around town on what is going to happen.  Everyone is hoping for the best.  

We stayed at cedar meadows and although very nice not very sled friendly staff, the microtel we drive past and it looked really nice and half the price.

quote name="gsx6" post="200354" timestamp="1449789279"]

The Super 8 at the east end was refurbished a couple of years ago. Restaurant right next door. I think its a Casey's. Fuel at the Esso is just to the west..

Does the trail go right to the super 8, and which trail?

Does the trail go right to the super 8, and which trail?

It's right off the L138 I believe, trail is right off the back of property. It's signed very well.

Archived