Help planning the northern big loop

gsx6

Cedar meadows is the place to stay in timmins. Thinking of doing the same trip but starting in the sault any one no if you can make it for timmins to the sault in one day I've rode from timmins to chapleau so I no that trails not fast.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done this trip or variations of this several times.  Keep watching here for updates on Valentine Farms in Chapleau, rumor is it may open in late Feb or Early March.  It is a great place to stay, way better than the 3 Rivers place.   I have not stayed in Hornepayne since the big hotel closed, but would not stay at Uncles, a quick lunch we had there once was really rather good.  Regarding the Kap or Hearst question; I say if you can make it to Kap, you can make it to Hearst.  The trails are wide, straight and flat for most of the trip.  The next day we typically have gone to either Wawa or Chapleau (when F was open) the first 100 miles to Hornepayne is fast, really fast.  Once you turn the corner at the former Bambino's it's tremendous, we've done it in 2 hours.  There is a was little motel in Wawa the Great Northern that had better food and better rooms than the Wawa Motor Inn. Another thing to keep in mind is that the former D16 has been absorbed by D15 and there has been discussion about reopening the trail to Longlac.  If this should happen, you could continue to head west at Bambino's, the trail head for the A107A is across the highway and then heads west to Longlac and then to Geralton and you could do a trip up to Nipigon.  One can only dream... 

PM me if you want more information about any of these. 

Does the trail go right to the super 8, and which trail?

Go south off the C trail on L24. Turn left on L27 about 750 feet or so and there is a trail up into the parking lot behind the Caseys. For fuel, stay on L27 and cross the highway. Watch on the left down about a 1/4 mile for the back of the Esso gas/car wash. Sled tracks up to the gas station.

Go onto the OFSC interactive map. Enlarge the Timmins area and the Super 8 is right where the L27 trail gets closest to highway 101.

My choice for leaving to go to Kirkland is to go north on the C trail and turn right on L25 then onto L31 to A111C. Its longer but quicker IMHO than going around through the city.

I have done this trip or variations of this several times.  Keep watching here for updates on Valentine Farms in Chapleau, rumor is it may open in late Feb or Early March.  It is a great place to stay, way better than the 3 Rivers place.   I have not stayed in Hornepayne since the big hotel closed, but would not stay at Uncles, a quick lunch we had there once was really rather good.  Regarding the Kap or Hearst question; I say if you can make it to Kap, you can make it to Hearst.  The trails are wide, straight and flat for most of the trip.  The next day we typically have gone to either Wawa or Chapleau (when F was open) the first 100 miles to Hornepayne is fast, really fast.  Once you turn the corner at the former Bambino's it's tremendous, we've done it in 2 hours.  There is a was little motel in Wawa the Great Northern that had better food and better rooms than the Wawa Motor Inn. Another thing to keep in mind is that the former D16 has been absorbed by D15 and there has been discussion about reopening the trail to Longlac.  If this should happen, you could continue to head west at Bambino's, the trail head for the A107A is across the highway and then heads west to Longlac and then to Geralton and you could do a trip up to Nipigon.  One can only dream... 

PM me if you want more information about any of these. 

Was it the Great Northern or The Northern lights? The Northern Lights was north of town on Highway 17  and near the trail to the Magpie Reservoir Dam. It was where the sinkhole washed out the highway in Oct. 2012 and took much of the motel with it. I don't think it ever opened again

One thing to remember is some of the Northern gas stations close down in the evening. Hornepayne just had a devistating occurance. The Mill just closed down putting lots of people out of work. If travelling down that way from Hearst find out how late or the hours the gas station will be open. Also if requiring lodging make sure to check first. Just a heads up. We've gotten caught with no gas trying to make it to some of the distance communities.

RR

Was it the Great Northern or The Northern lights? The Northern Lights was north of town on Highway 17  and near the trail to the Magpie Reservoir Dam. It was where the sinkhole washed out the highway in Oct. 2012 and took much of the motel with it. I don't think it ever opened again

northern lights did reopen after the flood, albeit smaller. Maureen and John are good people, and fought to keep their slice of the dream. best northern is a great location as it is just off the D trail south of town (wawa), unsure if they are seasonal now too, they may not be open in winter either. they do have a great restaurant there.

for 1049:

the Sault proper to Timmins would be a HUGE day, with the last 175 miles (Again, miles NOT KM'S) being slower, and harder to get to the end, without feeling like you have just ridden 6000 miles.

the sault to searchmont is about 40-60 miles depending on route, no fuel in searchmont... then searchmont to halfway haven is 97 miles, you WILL HAVE TO GO TO HALFWAY TO GET FUEL TO MAKE THE NEXT 60 MILES TO CHAPLEAU, even if you have a gas caddy. (not worth the risk)...

so lets review... roughly 150 miles sault to halfway, 60 to chapleau, then another 175 to timmins... grand total of 385 MILES, with much of it on slower, and tighter trails. I know people who have done it, personally... I wouldn't even think about it. the soo to chapleau is a big enough day.   

your results may vary. Ski

Thanks ski i guess I better change my plans alittle .

I think after all the great advise and information from everyone the trip will go as follows.

Day 1 Trailer to Kirkland Lake, Comfort Inn

Day 2 Ride to Cochrane, Westway Inn

Day 3 Canyon Loop, stay second night in Cochrane

Day 4 Ride to Hearst, Companion Inn

Day 5 Ride to Dubrieuville, Magpie Resort

Day 6 Ride to Chapleau, Aux Trois Moulins

Day 7 Ride to Timmins, Super 8

Day 8 Ride to Kirkland Lake, Drive Home

If anyone has any suggestions on things to see (ie. lookouts,albino moose in Foleyet) or awesome trails to ride on our way through, post them up.

Again thanks to everyone

LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW

While in Cochrane we've stopped in at the Polar bear Habitat and they also have a antique sled area, it would be worth seeing it. Have a great trip and make sure you post pics.

Nunz

"The Big Loop"

Great label, gsx6.  It may have been called that before, but first time I've associated it with this ride. Hope it catches on ---- and gets OFSC "Loop" treatment.

On the day that you run up to the Canyon, and fuel up in Smooth Rock on the way back (if running counterclockwise), consider heading south on C until it intersects with A106C. Then run A106C back up to Cochrane. That way, you're not backtracking on TOP A. It's just an option if you've had an early start, etc. and it's a game day decision when you're fueling up at Smooth Rock. Look at the sun and decide. Don't shoot the messenger if you're late for rib dinner at JR's lol. 

Another suggestion when riding from Cochrane to Hearst.

L123 runs somewhat parallel to A trail but is a much more interesting trail, IMO.  There are a number of other 'L' trails as well on the way across.  Look closely at the map and try to include as many of these as possible without dragging out your day to much.

These trails are usually wide and well maintained and can be traversed "approaching the legal limit". :-)

Just a suggestion. 

L123 runs somewhat parallel to A trail but is a much more interesting trail, IMO.  There are a number of other 'L' trails as well on the way across.  Look closely at the map and try to include as many of these as possible without dragging out your day to much.

These trails are usually wide and well maintained and can be traversed "approaching the legal limit". :-)

Just a suggestion. 

L123 and L155  Zoom Zoom!

my 2 cents, I'd do cochrane, abitibi loop and onto Hearst the same day, and as Sledjunk said, take the L123 from moonbeam instead of the A.   

Either way, great trip,  great area, you'll love it.

Sudbury to Timmins .. Do able during daylight hours?

Rocky's to Shining Tree is about 115 miles no fuel in between.  Shining Tree to Timmins is about 110 miles.  My advice would be to stay at Post 392 on the way to Timmins, it's about 20 miles Shining Tree side of Timmins.  Marie at the Post makes some of the best meals I have ever had.  Call ahead and they will have your favorite libation ready for your arrival.

Go south off the C trail on L24. Turn left on L27 about 750 feet or so and there is a trail up into the parking lot behind the Caseys. For fuel, stay on L27 and cross the highway. Watch on the left down about a 1/4 mile for the back of the Esso gas/car wash. Sled tracks up to the gas station.

Go onto the OFSC interactive map. Enlarge the Timmins area and the Super 8 is right where the L27 trail gets closest to highway 101.

My choice for leaving to go to Kirkland is to go north on the C trail and turn right on L25 then onto L31 to A111C. Its longer but quicker IMHO than going around through the city.

Thanks that will make it easy.

Just a suggestion. 

L123 and L155  Zoom Zoom!

I think we will make these trails a priority.

Is there a lookout in or near Cochrane? I thought when I was in Cochrane years ago someone took us to one but I cant remember. ( I am failing to see the benefits of getting old )

There is one West of town in Greenway er .... a lookout tower .... someone else will chime in with more details.

There is one West of town in Greenway er .... a lookout tower .... someone else will chime in with more details.

Greenstone or greenwater. .... fire lookout tower. ..

Greenstone or greenwater. .... fire lookout tower. ..

Greenwater Provincial park. The lookout is at the very end of trail L105 about 18kms in.. One of the better scenic lookouts I have been too... Its a steep climb, but worth it....

There is one west of Cochrane at the end of L105 in the Greenwater park

DSCI0573_zpsae605bd2.jpg

There is one west of Cochrane at the end of L105 in the Greenwater park

DSCI0573_zpsae605bd2.jpg

That was a great day!

Just a suggestion. 

Who said anything about legal Sledjunk.Like our tour through L123 and L155 last year...HEHE!!

Archived