Trail Permit Discount for Volunteers?

bozskagg

The other day I was wondering how to get more snowmobilers to volunteer their time to help maintain the OFSC trails?

I am a member at a couple archery clubs and members are expected to contribute a set number of volunteer hours to the club or they pay an additional fee at the end of the year. The way it is structured is you volunteer 8 hours over the course of the year or you pay an additional $80 at the end of the year. The system works quite well and there is rarely a shortage of volunteers.

What if the OFSC and local clubs implemented a system of reward/discount for volunteer hours? I am not sure on specifics (hours and %) so do not be too critical of me here. What I am proposing is a system where legitimate volunteer hours are tracked and a trail permit discount is issued if a threshold is achieved. Let’s say if you volunteer 4 hours you get a 10% discount and 8 hours gets a 20% discount on seasonal trail passes. Discounts capped at 20%. Volunteer hours need to be “official” and documented to receive the discount.

I know there will be people who will try and cheat the system…there always will be. But what a great way to get more people to volunteer their time to the sport we all love. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All serious and key volunteers should get a free permit. This would give the incentive for more people to volunteer, and ultimately everyone benefits from better trails..

It is worth looking at, but it can be a slippery slope when you start giving (or discounting)  stuff away.

I volunteer for no less than 5 local charitable organizations where I live.  I also have a job and a young family, so I really don't have time for anything else.  I live in SW Ontario where our trails are open for a few weeks typically, and I do not ride locally.  This is not anyones fault obviously, just the way it is.  Therefore, I ride a bit in Muskoka every year and cannot get up there to volunteer.  I appreciate the people who make the trails possible, but volunteers should rarely be compensated IMO.

Nice concept but real hard to track and manage. Where do you draw the line on who qualifies and who doesn't. Do you reward the person for 8 hours of brushing trails which is relatively easy to track and quantify and not the person who spends 8 hours reconciling permit sales and other administrative tasks sitting at home which is tough to track and quantify.

I am not disimissing the concept. Just easier said than done. The other side of this is we already have people saying that the local clubs are old boys clubs and you can't get in which I have a hard time believing myself but, now this would be a good position to be in perhaps. How do you determine who gets to go out and brush/clear the trail for when there is only enough work for 20 volunteers and you have 40 people who want to volunteer to save some money. Those that don't get to go would put up a stink and if you took all 40 there wouldn't be enough work perhaps for the volunteers to qualify for the rebate based on hours they worked. Also can we afford less cash for our budgets when we are already tight and short on cash.

I like the reward concept but requires a lot of thought.

All serious and key volunteers should get a free permit. This would give the incentive for more people to volunteer, and ultimately everyone benefits from better trails..

Who decides who's a key volunteer and who's not ? And who would police it to make sure Billy Joe Jim Bob isn't being generous to family members ? 

I have always thought that there should be an incentive for the volunteers as there are a lot of clubs that don't have enough. Maybe the OFSC could team up with manufacturers and local businesses to issue 'Trail Bucks' to be used in restaurants or towards new sleds and parts, etc. That way the OFSC doesn't take a hit and the businesses gain sales...win / win? The more hours you put in the more Trail Bucks you get. 

Maybe each club could be provided X number of permits for Volunteers.  They could choose to have a draw, or recognize their "key" volunteers. 

I also agree It can be a slippery slope as not all clubs are run ethically in the opinion of all its members.  If volunteer permits are  misappropriated, there could be dissension.

Would the MTO allow it?

Would the MTO allow it?

No.

Since it is a MTO document.

There are othet ways to reward volunteers.

Personally I like the $180 permit option and my payment as a volunteer gives me a great trail to ride. Why else would anyone volunteer?

Its not volunteering if you get a $$ discount.

Big difference in giving a permit away or buying one for your key volunteer. If you buy a permit for say your top guy who puts in 500 plus hours a year from say your poker derby fund thats your choice. Asking the OFSC to do it is not right! Reason I say this is because many clubs pay their volunteers a wage, so what you spend your money on is up to you. Course if you don't have the money you don't buy permits or pay volunteers. Rich clubs can afford it, poor clubs have to rely on free volunteers or do what we do and hold a pot luck supper for the volunteers at the end of the season!

Great points of discussion. 

Someone explain to me why MTO would have issue with it?

Just not understanding why a provincially run ministry would have issue with this?

After all, they do not seem to have any issue collecting unpaid 407 tolls for a private company!

Never understood that one!

Buddy told me he had an upaid 407 toll and could not renew his validation sticker until it was paid...to MTO...who then gives it to 407. 

Surely if they can wrap their minds around this type of administration, a 10% discount should seem like child's play. 

More info on HOW to volunteer for your local club would be an asset too.

I ride out of port perry, and my permit money goes to that club. Id love to know how to get into grooming etc and help out, as with my shifts im off during the week and odd hours.

More info on HOW to volunteer for your local club would be an asset too.

I ride out of port perry, and my permit money goes to that club. Id love to know how to get into grooming etc and help out, as with my shifts im off during the week and odd hours.

We post all our trail work, and volunteer stuff on our clubs Facebook page Infernobuster https://www.facebook.com/pages/Port-Perry-Snowmobile-Club/137312759648507?ref=bookmarks, no needd to be a Facebook member to view it.  Darren Clark is our new Volunteer Coordinator and he can be reached at @ 905-767-4364 , you can also call Rampman (Brian Jewel) from on here @ 905-985-3785, he's our Trail Coordinator and quite often he's looking for some midweek help. We have a boat load of new groomer ops this season (3 to 4 ops per unit), so it might be a while before we need any new ones, but once you start volunteering with us on a regular basis we'll let you know if we need someone to train up to fill a seat.  

Big difference in giving a permit away or buying one for your key volunteer. If you buy a permit for say your top guy who puts in 500 plus hours a year from say your poker derby fund thats your choice. Asking the OFSC to do it is not right! Reason I say this is because many clubs pay their volunteers a wage, so what you spend your money on is up to you. Course if you don't have the money you don't buy permits or pay volunteers. Rich clubs can afford it, poor clubs have to rely on free volunteers or do what we do and hold a pot luck supper for the volunteers at the end of the season!

Typically, if a club has the money to do what they want with trail infrastructure and groomer replacement (considered a rich club) it is because they are well run, don't waste money and don't pay anyone, including their key members, that is why the club is successful.

Bad idea, no one should get a free permit! I know some land owner's here in the south wanted free permits for donating the use of thier land. The trails were moved and re routed as a result. Give one person a free permit and it is a downward spiral to zero! Too bad we can't get a tax free credit for volunteer hours. Volunteer 100 hours and get a tax free credit of 1500 on your tax return. Something in that nature needs to be done, but government is broke!

Maybe each club could be provided X number of permits for Volunteers.  They could choose to have a draw, or recognize their "key" volunteers. 

I also agree It can be a slippery slope as not all clubs are run ethically in the opinion of all its members.  If volunteer permits are  misappropriated, there could be dissension.

What about the land owners! They would become more demanding if this was put in place! Good way to spiral to zero real quick!

Minute you pay a volunteer they are nor a volunteer. I don't expect to get paid and never have. I get it, I understand it but I don't agree with it. It can cause such a split. Once again the minute the almighty dollar is involved problems arise. Send your top two to AGM, vote amongst your club members, make it like the volunteer of the year within your clubs.

Typically, if a club has the money to do what they want with trail infrastructure and groomer replacement (considered a rich club) it is because they are well run, don't waste money and don't pay anyone, including their key members, that is why the club is successful.

K my only point was and is if you have the money and want to spend it on permits for your members then so be it but there is no way the OFSC should pay for the permits. I don't think volunteers should be paid. I however do think that if a club wishes to fund raise and reward someone then so be it! I also think the OFSC does recongnition rewards already and don't think paying volunteers for their efforts is the way to go. My club is not rich so can not afford to pay volunteers, some can and do!

Where you thought I was going I don't know!

Minute you pay a volunteer they are nor a volunteer. I don't expect to get paid and never have. I get it, I understand it but I don't agree with it. It can cause such a split. Once again the minute the almighty dollar is involved problems arise. Send your top two to AGM, vote amongst your club members, make it like the volunteer of the year within your clubs.

This is the truth and it will create troubles like you would not believe 

The other side of this is we already have people saying that the local clubs are old boys clubs and you can't get in which I have a hard time believing myself

Listen, maybe your clubs down there welcome volunteers with open arms, but they sure as fruck don't up here.  I tried for the last 2 years and NEVER ONCE got the time of day from them.  The local club president is one of the highest-ups in a large local contracting company, I know well and I worked there.  After a very unhappy letter I sent to the D15 office I received a visit from him at my work and we had a pretty intense discussion and it boiled down that I had f'all to bring to the club.  It was a big stink, everyone in the know around here heard about it.

So no, I won't offer again, not to the Hearst club.  If Opasatika or Mattice are interested I'll happily volunteer there, expecting nothing in return, simply because I like to brush and piddle around in the bush anyways.  

Might be time to rethink that idea, it's a reality.  Volunteer15 (sp?) is in Kap club, and if this person is who I think, they could (but likely would not for political reasons) confirm that some clubs don't want the extra help.

Some clubs are still old boys clubs! They enjoy running it on thier own! What can you do!

Listen, maybe your clubs down there welcome volunteers with open arms, but they sure as fruck don't up here.  I tried for the last 2 years and NEVER ONCE got the time of day from them.  The local club president is one of the highest-ups in a large local contracting company, I know well and I worked there.  After a very unhappy letter I sent to the D15 office I received a visit from him at my work and we had a pretty intense discussion and it boiled down that I had f'all to bring to the club.  It was a big stink, everyone in the know around here heard about it.

So no, I won't offer again, not to the Hearst club.  If Opasatika or Mattice are interested I'll happily volunteer there, expecting nothing in return, simply because I like to brush and piddle around in the bush anyways.  

Might be time to rethink that idea, it's a reality.  Volunteer15 (sp?) is in Kap club, and if this person is who I think, they could (but likely would not for political reasons) confirm that some clubs don't want the extra help.

I don't doubt you for a minute but all I can say is WOW! If that is the attitude... what a bunch of arrogant fools to turn down someone offering their labour. I can understand if someone says I want to reconcile permits and the club already has someone that does that but someone who wants to go out and brush trails being turned down... really dumb in my mind unless I am missing something. Isn't the old phrase... many hands make little work. Heck with more hands the trail brushing quality could go from good to outstanding. As these people age and have to drop out for health reasons etc. I wonder how loudly they will cry when that happens and they don't have anyone to step up and fill the void.

K my only point was and is if you have the money and want to spend it on permits for your members then so be it but there is no way the OFSC should pay for the permits. I don't think volunteers should be paid. I however do think that if a club wishes to fund raise and reward someone then so be it! I also think the OFSC does recongnition rewards already and don't think paying volunteers for their efforts is the way to go. My club is not rich so can not afford to pay volunteers, some can and do!

Where you thought I was going I don't know!

didn't think you where going anywhere, I am just sayin is all. There are a number of clubs that have put themselves in bad shape because they think they can and need to compensate volunteers in some way. Today, the clubs that have money, don't compensate anybody, that is all I was saying.

Archived