Trail Permit Discount for Volunteers?

bozskagg

I spent 10 years as a volunteer with the Canadian Ski System in my late teens and early 20s, at that time it was $150 a year to volunteer, plus $50 to buy your own first aid kit, and $25 for your first aid manual. We use to joke and say it was the only volunteer group you had to pay to be a member of. The $200 was stickily for insurance to cover our asses, actual operating funds came from the ski hills which paid a flat rate per day they where open to the system based on the size of the hill.  But to be a volunteer it took 3 hours a night 2 nights a week for 10 weeks plus 2 or 3 Saturdays in the fall along with countless on hill days once the winter hit. Once you where fully qualified, sure you got to ski for free, but you where also required to be at the hill for 2 shifts a week, no matter what the weather was. We got no discounts on skis or other equipment, the ski hills gave us noting in way of free ski waxing or sharpening or even a free coffee at lunch time. Given all that, its easy to understand why turn over was so high, I only gave it up because I started a family and couldn't keep up.. But they have no problem getting people to volunteer.. 

Why? Because they do a much better job marketing themselves for volunteers, they have signs at the ski hills, open display days, and people standing in lift lines talking the system up and a very large presents on social media.

What does the OFSC do? Other then send me a magazine 6 times a year not much. I've been a member of 4 different clubs in the last 10 years, every year I put my email address on the form when I buy my permit. But never in 10 years has a club ever sent me an email saying here is the work we have coming up, so if you can come out and help at this location on this day.

All I have ever gotten from the clubs is a yearly mail out welcoming me back and if I want to volunteer visit the OFSC webpage for more info on where to sign up, and meetings are the first Monday night of the month or whatever night. Well to start with, most people don't have free time during a week night to drive out to a remote club house, sit and listen to a bunch of old guys talking this and that, in what really turns out to a night away from their wives for old boys. Its not the 50s anymore where dad comes home from work and mom has spent all day keeping the house clean and making dinner so its sit down and eat, leave the wife to clean up well dad goes and hangs with his sled buddies at the club house. We joke about these system being an old boys club well it is, because the old boys that run most the clubs still live like this.    

So no, volunteers shouldn't get paid or even a discounted permit, if the system would simple open their eyes to the fact it's 2015 and how easy things can be mass communicated I don't think there would be any issue getting volunteers. If I got an email in the middle of the week to remind me about something going on this weekend. I look at the calendar and see nothing is going on Saturday morning, I'd be more then happy to grab my chain saw and come out for a few hours. How about social media? Everyone I know under 50 has a Facebook or twitter account, it takes seconds to setup and maintain these types of pages, and you can put the information in the hands of the volunteers in seconds, via their smartphone.

The tools are there to get volunteers, and yes I'm sure some might, but on a large scale, the clubs choose not to use them

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just did what you recommended.

About 3 days ago I sent a letter regarding our need for Volunteers to over 1,200 people who are TP buyers, TOT participants or asked for info from Club.

To date about 3 replies, 2 from existing volunteers and another advising that she would be interested in Permit Coordinator but unfortunately lives 4 hours from North Bay.

Also posted same letter on our Facebook page.

An amazing 750 Views but 19 Likes and only 5 comments, two of which were from other clubs sympathizing with us, 1 to say she volunteered with her club, another who shared it with another Facebook group and the fifth recommending we scrap Volunteers and pay everyone and the TP cost could go up 'a little bit' to cover the payroll.

Hardly encouraging when you reach out to over 2,000 individuals (granted some will be duplicates) and to date we have one or two commitments.

I guess until people actually are faced with a closure such as Chapleau Arctic Watershed S C then nobody thinks there is a problem.

Here's my letter

NBSC Needs Volunteers

.The Club's Board of Directors met yesterday afternoon for over 2 hours to discuss a lengthy list of items that are crucial to the Club's ongoing success. It is clear that we need to attract more Volunteers to assist in various aspects of the Club operations as the small number we currently have will be 'burned out' and the Club and our 225 Kms of NBSC trails will suffer.

Firstly, we are strong financially, equipment-wise and with excellent infrastructure such as bridges, Roy Drive dome and H.Q. and blessed with many gracious Landowners.

Several initiatives are planned to reduce the workload on our existing Volunteers, improve the trails and encourage more Snowmobilers to do some small part in helping the Club.

We will soon be scheduling a trail Work Party every second week, one being a Friday afternoon and another a Sunday afternoon. The first project will be brushing of A112A between A2 and NB300. We are looking for Volunteers to assist for a few hours or whenever they can come out once the schedule is posted.

We are organizing a Trail Boss position assisted by Trail Captains and Assistants. The Trail Captains and Assistants will take ownership of a section of trail noting deficiencies such as signing, brushing and potential hazards that they themselves will look after or assign to a Work Party through our Trail Boss. If you have an interest in this please contact the Club.

We have an ongoing need for Groomer Operators who are experienced in heavy equipment with tracks and hydraulics. Shifts are normally 6 - 8 hours, hopefully a minimum of twice a week. Our need is greatest in the Conewango area.

We need a Trail Permit Coordinator for next season. Although 75% of Trail Permits are now sold online, we still have to look after our 6 local sellers and ensure all Permits are properly reconciled.

NBSC is one of the best recognized and applauded Clubs in the OFSC and we need to bring in some new blood to continue to improve and take some load off the few who are presently doing the lion's share of the work, including a 75 and 85 year old veterans.

Please consider getting involved, even if it is a few hours a month. Simple things like keeping the Trail Map boxes full for the hundreds of touring sledders is not always getting done and you can do a small part and feel good about contributing.

Shoot us an email at info@nbsc.ca and let us know how you might be able to help out. We are committed to trying to make your involvement productive and fun.

- If you wish to Unsubscribe from our Newsletter please use the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the page.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthBaySnowmobileClub

NBSC on Facebook

Nice post Bryan! Hopefully people come forward, good luck! Love your trails.

You know Brian, I can sympathise and agree totally that there is a lack of volunteers.  I think it's not so much a "want to help" problem, but more a "society today" problem.  I'll explain what I think.

20 - 30 years ago when there was nothing to do when you were kids, what did you do ?  Got dressed and played outside (build snow forts, snowshoeing, snare rabbits, cross-country ski, climb trees, whatever).  No matter what or where there was something outside to do.  With the introduction of hand-held devices of the last decade, people (that's us) aren't going outside as much ... and not just kids, adults too.  Parents are the role models and aren't doing what they did as kids, so they're not teaching their kids how to play outside.  WE THE PARENTS are not raising our kids the way we were raised.  They don't know the fun of digging out a snowbank to make a fort, like we did as kids.  

Today it's just too easy to let the kids play with their phones or ipods because either, the parents don't know any difference, or don't have the willpower to get them off their asses and do something outside as a family.  

I remember going ice fishing with the family and uncles as a group, maybe between 6 and ten sleds with sleighs, the men would build a big fire near shore, drill holes (all by hand back then) and fish, have a drink or 2 (maybe too much) while we the kids would ride around on the lake doing the Indy 500 and come back to warm up by the fire.  Those were the very best childhood memories I have of winter.  How many families do you know personally that ice fish or snowmobile or ski as a family ?  I can think of a few but not tons, back then EVERYONE spent the winter outside.

So if we translate this current mentality of what a family does in winter, there aren't many families that own an axe or chainsaw or do much outdoors.  I personally have no problem spending a day outside piddling around on a trail, cutting brush and trees to open a trail, but the invitation and willingness to allow others into the group has to be there.  You get the door slammed in your face enough times, one stops knocking.  But if asked, I'd go.

So we have a few problems, some no communication, no desire to allow help into the group, but the worst is the lack of desire to do anything outside period.  Just look at the Golden Corridor S.C. facebook page, they are actively requesting help, having work days to open trails, etc.  I'd be packing a lunch and thermos, snowshoes, chainsaw, axes and whatever else to go help out, if I was still living in K.L.  Ultrafrozen can attest to my time spent outside, he remembers the sleds and bikes I've had, I didn't spend many weekends in the house, there was always something to do.

I wish you well in your efforts to promote volunteers in your club.

Thank you to all for providing some excellent discusson on this very important topic that the "head office" fails to acknowledge or assist in rectifing. Looks like the clubs are left on their own to sort out. I was discussing is very issue last week on my trip around Northern Ontario, We found the trails excellent and talking to the groomer operators I came to realize I was not doing enough to help the sport I love to do in the winter. These groomer operators not only brush the trails and groom them they also ran a business of some type.

I have also sent requests to various clubs to offer my services (with plenty of notice so I can make a weekend of it) but receiving no reply. I have found that Facebook has finally been accepted by the clubs and they are promoting riding in their areas. Now they need to increase the requests for help and make specific requests for what they need and give plenty of notice.

I will be contacting my club and where I ride to see if there is something I can do.

Jerry

All I have ever gotten from the clubs is a yearly mail out welcoming me back and if I want to volunteer visit the OFSC webpage for more info on where to sign up, and meetings are the first Monday night of the month or whatever night. Well to start with, most people don't have free time during a week night to drive out to a remote club house, sit and listen to a bunch of old guys talking this and that, in what really turns out to a night away from their wives for old boys. Its not the 50s anymore where dad comes home from work and mom has spent all day keeping the house clean and making dinner so its sit down and eat, leave the wife to clean up well dad goes and hangs with his sled buddies at the club house. We joke about these system being an old boys club well it is, because the old boys that run most the clubs still live like this.    

. How about social media? Everyone I know under 50 has a Facebook or twitter account, it takes seconds to setup and maintain these types of pages, and you can put the information in the hands of the volunteers in seconds, via their smartphone.

The tools are there to get volunteers, and yes I'm sure some might, but on a large scale, the clubs choose not to use them

All 3 clubs, I have been involved with have women at the monthly meetings and many of them hold important positions, so I fail to see you comment on getting away from "their wives" when going to meetings

Same goes with Facebook pages that have club ride schedules, work days, everything is emailed in the last 2 clubs as to work,club rides,club minutes, district meeting minutes etc

I am sure there are so called " Ole mens clubs"  but funny I have yet to met any

Problem is many people are also very abrasive when they 1st arrive on the club scene and think they can march in and change everything at once, operate a groomer be trail capt etc without sitting back and getting to know everyone

You have to realize your spot in the clubs as new members and make an effort to be accepted

and you are right not everyone has the time to go to weekday meetings when they live a distance away but again people have stuff to do on weekends, and most locals have the time after supper during the week hence the weekday meetings

I don't think the volunteers are looking to be paid / compensated but I think they are looking to know their efforts are appreciated. Too often they hear complaints but few well done. Other than places like here.

It often doesn't take much to make someone feel appreciated. Sometimes just a few well chosen words or perhaps a small token such as a club exclusive ball cap / t-shirt.

Well I just did what you recommended.

Most likely your email and Facebook post fell on deaf ear because of the size of it. People have A.D.D when it comes to emails and FB post. If it's more than about 5 lines everyone has lost interest and has moved on to something else. That's why twitter has become so popular because your limited to 140 characters.

All 3 clubs, I have been involved with have women at the monthly meetings and many of them hold important positions, so I fail to see you comment on getting away from "their wives" when going to meetings

Same goes with Facebook pages that have club ride schedules, work days, everything is emailed in the last 2 clubs as to work,club rides,club minutes, district meeting minutes etc

I'm speaking in a general sense because yes some wife's do take part. But sledding is mostly a guy thing.

Glad to see some clubs using the email system. More need to do the same. I'm sure official minutes have to be kept, so opening them up via email for everyone shouldn't be too hard.

If the system would simple open their eyes to the fact it's 2015 and how easy things can be mass communicated I don't think there would be any issue getting volunteers. If I got an email in the middle of the week to remind me about something going on this weekend. I look at the calendar and see nothing is going on Saturday morning, I'd be more then happy to grab my chain saw and come out for a few hours. How about social media? Everyone I know under 50 has a Facebook or twitter account, it takes seconds to setup and maintain these types of pages, and you can put the information in the hands of the volunteers in seconds, via their smartphone.

In the past Nutter publicized Port Perry work parties on FS. When I was still living in Oshawa, I saw 1 of his "notices" & I was available that Sat', so I let them know. The job was redecking & putting railings on a bridge in the "Syndicate". Afterwards they had a BBQ back @ the clubhouse. I rode their trails a couple of times each season, so I figured helping out, was the least that I could do.

I haven't seen any PP calls for help in recent years, so I'm not sure if they still do it or not.

I was at the Port Perry clubhouse on saturday. Talked to one of the trail patrolers who is also on the clubs executive. Asked him about volunteering, and was told they put it on facebook and tell you where there meeting on a particular day. Says they start around labor day weekend on trails, and service groomers while hunting season is on.

Thanks Viper, my son lives in New Dundee and our grandkids play hockey and swim at the Wilmot Community Centre, one of the best recreational facilities I have ever been in. First class all the way, really amazing.

I live right down the road from the new facility! It sure is nice! Took a long time to build and to fundraise for a portion of the funds though.

I was at the Port Perry clubhouse on saturday. Talked to one of the trail patrolers who is also on the clubs executive. Asked him about volunteering, and was told they put it on facebook and tell you where there meeting on a particular day. Says they start around labor day weekend on trails, and service groomers while hunting season is on.

I have them on FB and yes they put everything on FB work days,club events etc

What about the land owners! They would become more demanding if this was put in place! Good way to spiral to zero real quick!

If I was a Land Owner, I would ask for free permits.  I'm contributing by letting you use MY land.  It seems fair.

Use of private land is not an entitlement. 

At least buy the owner a bottle or something. 

Do the groomer operators get paid?  I always thought it was volunteers that operated the groomers?

If I was a Land Owner, I would ask for free permits.  I'm contributing by letting you use MY land.  It seems fair.

Use of private land is not an entitlement. 

At least buy the owner a bottle or something. 

Again do you know how insurance works in this case and how LUP work?

I gather you do not

Use of private land is a privilege that is granted by the landowner to said clubs

Do the groomer operators get paid?  I always thought it was volunteers that operated the groomers?

Some groomers are paid while others are volounteers

Some can afford to pay,some can not get volounteers neither, yet many clubs are fortunate that have a few volounteers

Many many years back our Association found that we needed operators that took on grooming as a job. We get scheduled shifts that run thru the night or whenever and you commit to that. The shifts can be a few hours or many more. The groomer I operate with the guys we change on the trail, sometimes bring fuel, and switch off. Also, we decided that we need operators that are consistent with the work that has to be done. Certain parts of the trail need special attention. We have found that the trails (which is our product to the permit purchasers) benefit with our system. If clubs have volunteers that can get er down Kudos to you and thanks as well.

Listen, maybe your clubs down there welcome volunteers with open arms, but they sure as fruck don't up here.  I tried for the last 2 years and NEVER ONCE got the time of day from them.  The local club president is one of the highest-ups in a large local contracting company, I know well and I worked there.  After a very unhappy letter I sent to the D15 office I received a visit from him at my work and we had a pretty intense discussion and it boiled down that I had f'all to bring to the club.  It was a big stink, everyone in the know around here heard about it.

So no, I won't offer again, not to the Hearst club.  If Opasatika or Mattice are interested I'll happily volunteer there, expecting nothing in return, simply because I like to brush and piddle around in the bush anyways.  

Might be time to rethink that idea, it's a reality.  Volunteer15 (sp?) is in Kap club, and if this person is who I think, they could (but likely would not for political reasons) confirm that some clubs don't want the extra help.

Yes, Denis007, I know the reality. Some small clubs ARE all about the boys because it's not about the locals anymore. It's about the tourism dollars...but who benefits from that? Many local see little benefit to being a member of a club (whatever that means these days). They just buy a permit and ride....keeping well to the right to stay out of the way of the tourists taking full advantage of our wide, flat, fast trails. Why struggle to find, train and retain volunteers to work on trails when you can just hire a contractor to clear brush? 

Saw a tweet that stated that snowmobile "clubs" are nothing more than six guys and a pimped out groomer garage. Some truth to that from where I sit. Not so sure the present situation is sustainable, but we shall see.

ummmm we do not have a garage to pimp out . But we do have a club always 12 or more at meetings and great directors just doing their job it is my honour to serve as president these guys and gals are great 

The Ministry of Labour told all the District 11 Clubs several years ago that by giving a Volunteer a Trail Permit would be considered compensation under the Occupational Health & Safety Act and would result in them being designated as ' Employees' with all that entails.

Not a wise idea from that perspective alone.

Archived