Trail Permit Discount for Volunteers?

bozskagg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in the board of directors for our club as well as head of trail patrol and every year we do a landowners dinner !!! We do not give out free permits we throw a nice dinner for all out landowners and it's great !!! Everyone of the landowners loves it as well as a few of our local venders/ businesses who support our club !!! And don't forget volenteers do have to be trained as per ofsc insurance and we always put our info on fb as well as updating our website !!! We have attracted several new volenteers that way we also post when we do rides from out clubhouse and welcome anyone to come ride with us and to meet some of the clubs executives and we encourage any and all questions we try to help everyone as best we can !!! We have people who regularly drive 3-4hrs to come ride with us !!!! It's all in the way you do things. I do not get payed as a volenteer nor do I want to be or do we get a free permit !!!!! But we do appreciate our landowners and throw them a nice dinner everyyear !!!!! And when we have our meetings every month we are always trying to hash out new and better ways of promoting the sport we love !!!!! It's all about the passion not about the free trail pass !!! Ride safe & have fun out there folks !!!!!

Any club can give away a Trail Permit if they decide to.

There is no audit trail.

The club remits their funds to the district who forwards to OFSC.

As long as the Trail Permit is paid for that is the issue, not who paid for it.

X2! I know clubs here in the south have been asked for free permits by the landowners. Even if the clubs bought them one to keep them happy, eventually it would ballon out of control and club would go broke. I am hearing different rumours here in D5 about how the permit funds are being handled. Hopefully there are funds to reimburse crop damage as usual.

Thought I would weigh in. I had at one time, and still would like, but I know it CAN'T  be done, is have a cheaper, say $180 permit, for volunteers and then if you don't volunteer then you pay a higher amount. Some guys that I used to sell permits to were like "oh what a great deal at $210,  I would pay $400". Well that's ok since you're big bucks and have one sled.  Anyway back to the point of volunteering. I do it to give back to the sport and for all the work that was done for many years back. I don't want a free permit or get "paid". I do get frustrated as hell at times esp when me a couple guys are finishing up trail work, oh and BTW there is still some loose ends not done yet, that people can see, yet they go off riding. I am a BIG believer in landowner appreciation. To me a pair of gloves just doesn't cut it. Without landowners we have no trail and or we have a lot of follow road to trail signs. We, at the Bridgeport Club, will try our best and continue to give a little extra over and above, so the trails stay on the land. This is a topic that I am passionate about since Landowners and Volunteers are kinda important for our sport.

X2! I know clubs here in the south have been asked for free permits by the landowners. Even if the clubs bought them one to keep them happy, eventually it would ballon out of control and club would go broke. I am hearing different rumours here in D5 about how the permit funds are being handled. Hopefully there are funds to reimburse crop damage as usual.

We have never given permits away to anyone at the Bridgeport club. Our Landowners have gotten Landowner gloves with GTSA landowner silkscreened ( all 12 clubs get them from GTSA to give out) and we have given a bag of pepperetes and box of chocolates, around the $12 area. Last year a volunteer was able to source a combination of caramel corn, sponge toffee, and a  bar of fudge,( thanks  800 cat ltd) for the $6 mark. Crop damage has been taken on by District 5 as their responsibility.

May I ask what you mean by "how the permit funds are being handled"?

Watch the gossip & " a friend said..." nonsense guys.

Before the MTO stepped in, the club used to issue a "landowner" permit. It was good for the club trails. Any of the landowners that I knew that received them (I was landowner co-ordinator) put them on an older sled so they could putter around the trail on their property. Eliminated any issues between wardens & landowners due to them riding an unpermitted sled on their own property.

That being said I knew other landowners that bought a permit. When I told them they could get a free 1, they said it wasn't much good to them because they rode more than just the Paudash trails.

Prior to bill 101 we gave club permits out for free to landowners only and the permits were good for our club trails only.  Was a long time ago but still have it on my 71 OMC snowcruiser. Is a pretty  neat looking permit the guys back then designed.

Watch the gossip & " a friend said..." nonsense guys.

Before the MTO stepped in, the club used to issue a "landowner" permit. It was good for the club trails. Any of the landowners that I knew that received them (I was landowner co-ordinator) put them on an older sled so they could putter around the trail on their property. Eliminated any issues between wardens & landowners due to them riding an unpermitted sled on their own property.

That being said I knew other landowners that bought a permit. When I told them they could get a free 1, they said it wasn't much good to them because they rode more than just the Paudash trails.

I guess in theory a landowner permit for a club would still be possible.

If landowners of a club agreed to it, it would simply be a piece of paper, or some type of agreement that we can all ride on each others property. OFSC insurance would be an issue to overcome, but who in today's reality doesn't have insurance on a snowmobile.

I ride a fair bit on the landowner's properties around me. I know all of them personally and have permission to ride all year, sleds atv's etc. The guy right behind me, I asked and run the tractor and bush hog around his tree farm so we all can enjoy his land. 

Most people in the subdivision that borders my and his land, walk dogs, snow shoe, atv, dirt bike,  etc all year without issue.

To lay  a Tresspass to property charge LE has to know you are actually trespassing.

The prick would be for us municipal or County owned lands. Not sure they'd agree to the above.

I've got 30 acres with a lot of trails. All my neighbors know they can use them. I don't think anyone would sue me if someone got hurt, but for an extra thirty bucks I upped my liability to 2 million, just in case.

I guess in theory a landowner permit for a club would still be possible.

If landowners of a club agreed to it, it would simply be a piece of paper, or some type of agreement that we can all ride on each others property. OFSC insurance would be an issue to overcome, but who in today's reality doesn't have insurance on a snowmobile.

I ride a fair bit on the landowner's properties around me. I know all of them personally and have permission to ride all year, sleds atv's etc. The guy right behind me, I asked and run the tractor and bush hog around his tree farm so we all can enjoy his land. 

Most people in the subdivision that borders my and his land, walk dogs, snow shoe, atv, dirt bike,  etc all year without issue.

To lay  a Tresspass to property charge LE has to know you are actually trespassing.

The prick would be for us municipal or County owned lands. Not sure they'd agree to the above.

I've got 30 acres with a lot of trails. All my neighbors know they can use them. I don't think anyone would sue me if someone got hurt, but for an extra thirty bucks I upped my liability to 2 million, just in case.

No offense, but I have heard a lot of great ideas about permits but at the end of the day the answer always is the MTO won't allow that. And that is all there is to it.

May I ask what you mean by "how the permit funds are being handled"?

I was talking to some people Saturday night! They were telling me that D5 is pooling all of the permit money for all of the clubs in the district. Then giving it back equally to all of the clubs reguardless of how many permits the club sells. Something new this year they were saying. That is all they said. Any truth to this?

No offense, but I have heard a lot of great ideas about permits but at the end of the day the answer always is the MTO won't allow that. And that is all there is to it.

We do the same thing with our neighbours. To cover our butts we have posted no trespassing signs around. If someone was going to sue, they would be a friend of a friend. As long as you have no trespassing signs then indirectly they are trespassing, so they will never win in court, if something happened.

We do the same thing with our neighbours. To cover our butts we have posted no trespassing signs around. If someone was going to sue, they would be a friend of a friend. As long as you have no trespassing signs then indirectly they are trespassing, so they will never win in court, if something happened.

I would not bet on that 

I was talking to some people Saturday night! They were telling me that D5 is pooling all of the permit money for all of the clubs in the district. Then giving it back equally to all of the clubs reguardless of how many permits the club sells. Something new this year they were saying. That is all they said. Any truth to this?

No absolutely wrong. The 2014-2015  D5 funding model still gives back to the clubs based on their permit sales. The District also is still paying for fuel and grooming wages. They also will pay for many trail related expenses. It is a one year trial.

No absolutely wrong. The 2014-2015  D5 funding model still gives back to the clubs based on their permit sales. The District also is still paying for fuel and grooming wages. They also will pay for many trail related expenses. It is a one year trial.

Thank-you for clearing that up! Still important to buy where you ride then.

That pretty much nails it.

I wonder if the pencil pusher that is the MTO's liason/contact w/ the OFSC has ever snowmobiled?

V2   The land owner gifts were great thanks  nice change , I am still trying to figure out how to wear 2 left gloves . looking for the guy with 2 rights  ha ha .

Same as the pencil pushers in Toronto that ban the barn dances/parties. Prob never been out of the city. But that is another topic.

No more square dancing :(

V2   The land owner gifts were great thanks  nice change , I am still trying to figure out how to wear 2 left gloves . looking for the guy with 2 rights  ha ha .

I can get that fixed up. They were in the boxes a funny way and it was easy to get them messed up. You will have to see me  Thx

is that why they call you coldfinger...lol

Archived