2013 OFSC AGM

Faceman

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

enforcement.......trespass is to easy to get out of, and it lacks clout, fines might help, but easy to take the risk, what about confiscation, take the sled and auction it off at the police auction, portion goes to the federation.......that is some clout and a big risk not to buy a permit.

I'm not talking about trespass charges. I mean tickets for not having a current permit. Min $200 Max $1000

I'm not talking about trespass charges. I mean tickets for not having a current permit. Min $200 Max $1000

yes Classic, I understood where you where coming from there. These fines never seem to be implemented, I don't know the answer. We need to do something, even if permit sales are low, we don't need freeloaders ripping the trails up, it is very frustrating. I would like to see freeloaders out the sled, a few of those and the problem would be gone.

Sasquatch, I take it you are from district 17? being NWO

Yes I am. A little island all by itself cut off from the rest of the OFSC.

I think that a "No Freeloader" campaign could curb the 'fence sitters'.

Signs affixed to the red OFSC "limit of liability" signs with a catchy logo (I picture a rider on a sled, head turned back and looking behind in angst, with a "Ghostbuster" font and a line through the word "Freeloader")

Social responsibility; guilt; knowledge - all play into a person's decision to ride the trails without a permit.

As goofy as it sounds, a "No Freeloader" campaign will work.

(Don't be a Freeloader; Don't ride with a Freeloader; etc.).

I think that a "No Freeloader" campaign could curb the 'fence sitters'.

Signs affixed to the red OFSC "limit of liability" signs with a catchy logo (I picture a rider on a sled, head turned back and looking behind in angst, with a "Ghostbuster" font and a line through the word "Freeloader")

Social responsibility; guilt; knowledge - all play into a person's decision to ride the trails without a permit.

As goofy as it sounds, a "No Freeloader" campaign will work.

(Don't be a Freeloader; Don't ride with a Freeloader; etc.).

I wonder what would happen if there was a Freeloader website where pictures of the sleds, the registration numbers and the riders were posted with the when and where.

Freeloaders will take down the signs! We need bigger fines. Maybe if there was a 1000k fine on the sign, then it might be effective if it doesn't go missing.

Any Clubs contemplating Motion(s) at the September OFSC AGM?

One Club in our District will be putting forward a Motion to require the OFSC to reimburse the Clubs in a timely manner for their Trail Permits sold online so that they get the needed startup funds sooner than last year.

Any Clubs contemplating Motion(s) at the September OFSC AGM?

One Club in our District will be putting forward a

Motion to require the OFSC to reimburse the

Clubs in a timely manner for their Trail Permits

sold online so that they get the needed startup

funds sooner than last year.

I can see that being an issue, if you sell allot of online permits. Most clubs are only selling a few online permits though. So imagine they wait for a certain date and then distribute the funds. More efficient that way, instead of doing several transfers.

We sold a fairly surprising number online but the bigger concern is the proposed plan to only sell online for the super Early Bird pricing, if in fact that goes ahead next season.

If it does, Clubs will be really strapped for cash flow if changes aren't made to frequency of distribution.

BB - NBSC

We sold a fairly surprising number online but the bigger concern is the proposed plan to only sell online for the super Early Bird pricing, if in fact that goes ahead next season.

If it does, Clubs will be really strapped for cash flow if changes aren't made to frequency of distribution.

BB - NBSC

What do they want ......online or in person.....nobody can make a decision.......We hear we need more bodies etc and to get out there and spread the word and maybe get peeps involved and on the other hand sell online so they can sit in there bubble and wait for the mail and ride .....come on.

The only early permit this peep is buying is from Qu.....I will sit and wait to see what is going on.

Why can't it be both?

Online sales appeal to many permit buyers as well as many Clubs like ours where buyers want to support a particular Club which is not in their home area and they want to purchase it in advance of their arrival or before the Early Bird deadline expires.

The only issue in my mind is getting the funds to the selling Club in a timely manner for those sold online through OFSC.

Why can't it be both?

Online sales appeal to many permit buyers as well as many Clubs like ours where buyers want to support a particular Club which is not in their home area and they want to purchase it in advance of their arrival or before the Early Bird deadline expires.

The only issue in my mind is getting the funds to the selling Club in a timely manner for those sold online through OFSC.

Key words IN A TIMELY MANNER

AGM is in Ottawa,

well the "new and improved??" ofsc framework for change plan is out, and ofsc is not giving us details until the last minute (mid august/September) so that the clubs will not have sufficient time to poll their members/exec before the AGM.

the 5 regional permits is delayed until 14/15 season, still no word on the msv permit money from MTO, a trial on converting trail patrol to STOP this season, and the biggest mistake, under the illusion of improving operational effectiveness, merging district clubs into a single entity, which will mean a huge loss of local support in terms of volunteers, donations, support from landowners, and an increase in permit prices to compensate from having to increase staff levels due to the lack of volunteers!

Has the concept of crowdfunding been considered by anyone? Yes, whatever crowdfunding organizer that is used takes about a 5% share and there may be some Paypal fees involved, but at this point it seems like any money collected is better then no money collected at all.

A campaign could even be started this summer to help raise funding for the rebuild of trails in around Algonquin and the highlands after the flooding. Or a campaign to help to help try and keep the Northern Loop open?

Both of these ideas would be focused on specific needs that could be easily portrayed and described with a fundraising goal in mind. Crowdfunding would allow for contributors from outside of the club region/district/province even Canada to easily contribute.  

Yes there will be some redtape to cut thru and measures required to ensure transparency but with the lack of fund raising volunteers that most clubs are facing these days this seems like a solution worth discussion.

AGM is in Ottawa,

Actually, the AGM next year is in Ottawa.  This year it is in Markham.

We have 3 Associations within D9. The "merging" has had lots of benefits without clubs loosing their 'identity". More and more clubs still have lots of the "grass root" volunteers ( brushing, staking, signage) but are having issues finding people to fill executive positions. Many landowners identify with one particular club member as their club contact and would know little difference if the club structure changes.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the OFSC doing to get junior riders in the fold?

This really isn't an OFSC responsibility, but rather, a club level responsibility.  We can offer youth volunteers credit for their community service requirements for high school, and we often have young volunteers helping with projects.  Of course, parental approval is required and often the parents participate as well.

This really isn't an OFSC responsibility, but rather, a club level responsibility.  We can offer youth volunteers credit for their community service requirements for high school, and we often have young volunteers helping with projects.  Of course, parental approval is required and often the parents participate as well.

I wasn't talking about getting them to volunteer. I was talking about getting them to ride. Feel part of something. Enjoy the trails.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

It is a good question.  I don't know of anything at the provincial level, but again, it might be better addressed locally by the clubs.  Some publicity (skywords, etc) wouldn't hurt, though.

Don't deny for a second that there is a ton of information but you just mentioned the AGM package or reports. These could all be distributed electronically to almost everyone. Dicussions within meetings could be done online interactively. I was part of a 750 person online meeting with participants from around the globe 2 days ago. The speakers could be seen and heard. If you had a question you hit a key and the moderator turned your mute off to let you pose your question. This could be an option. I realize there is a lot of business.... that is why I asked how much was fun. To maintain status quo just because that is how we have always done it is no longer valid.

I have been saying as much for a few years. When I bring it up I get met with the word idiot, those that enjoy the paid vacation will never let go of the old school thinking. It now the time to cut all spending that does not build and maintain trails and allow for the grooming of those trails. Nothing else matters to those that buy permits. That being said, volunteers are dropping out due to politics and being loaded down with paperwork, being dictated to at every turn, we need to cut as much of the bullshit out as we can, rely on the core group of permit buyers for our survival and cater to them, not the imaginary prospective sledder. We need to cut out all these discounted permits and get back to the basics.  many people defend marketing spending as it is paid for with a government grant, but nobody seems to understand that when a grant is secured with those strings, we evffectively elimate our chances to get grans for our biggest expense, grooming. Let the manus market the sport, we will provide the venue, let the government market tourism, we will provide the venue, lets get these grants working on the snow, not promoting a sport to those that weill never buy in.

BTW I recently recruited two young people to volunteer, they both own sleds, they both need hours for highschool, and they both never once considered it due to any ads or via bullshit they may have seen. Face to face is the only way.

I wonder what would happen if there was a Freeloader website where pictures of the sleds, the registration numbers and the riders were posted with the when and where.

Could do that on any of the current sites, just post as an individual and not a TP or club member to alleviate any concerns.

Sorry for not using multiquate.

• 3 weeks later...

It's Markham, Ottawa is next year.

What date?

Archived