2013 OFSC AGM

Faceman

Ya i hope so, let the kids have halloween but old man winter can arrive anytime after that night.

You can tow them behind the sled going door to door. Imagine all of the candy they will get, when everyone else stays home. Have to think like a sledder.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your right, it's does 'sound like' a good old boys club, and as usual some around here fly off the handle without reading the whole post and just see key words....

Some clubs are full of the good old boys, because those are the only ones who will come out and do anything to help. Money and weather are not going to kill our sport, in the long run its going to be lack of bodies...

As for your input as a tourist, I don't believe the AGM is a forum for your input. I've never been to one, but from the information that is posted back here about it, it's more of an operation meeting.

What your looking for, doesn't happen, at a provincial level as far as I know. The only suggestion I could give you is, put it in an email and send it directly to the OFSC.

Thanks for understanding Dweese.  It's obvious we all love this sport, and want for it's survival.  I love touring northern Ontario and drive right through cottage country to get there.  I have ridden Muskoka, it's just not my thing.  I can do that here or Old Forge or Tug Hill.  I understand and respect everyone's preference for how and where they want to ride.  I refuse to believe that the north cannot be saved.  The status quo must be challenged, that's how we progress tot he next level.  Things change, we need to change too. Look forward and consider how long it might take to re-establish a trail system.

I have written to the OFSC and will again.

This is getting better with some good posts...the whole point is how do we do it, How do we make it happen. It's nice to see the personal slams ceasing, I hope. We need to decide what is right for the province.

Its what we don't know right now that is causing the real issue..Keep seeking the truth!! ASK THE QUESTIONS!

Give me your best question to ask OFSC President Brenda.

Something has to be done to get more 3 day and one week passes to clubs, once the snow files. I seen so many clubs just let riders ride,

since there was no where to buy a 3 day pass in

the area. People won't do it ahead of time,

because you can't always count on the weather.

Has to be a way to make these permits cheaper and to have enough in stock to cover demand.Why can't they make them in china for a few cents versus so called 10 bucks to print them. They only have to last a few days on the sled.

In my opinion, the biggest problem in the northern sections is man power, how do you get the volunteers out? If there are not people to run the clubs and do the paperwork how do the trails get maintained? Foleyte folded because no one wanted to do it anymore, how does FFC cure this problem? Look at the remainder of the clubs in 13, ask those people how many active volunteers they have doing the work. Dollars aren't the only problem. Look up the website for Marathon, Geraldton and Longlac, they are still running their clubs under the OFSC and they sold the required permits and maintained all their paperwork. No, they are not interconnected to the rest of the system, but their communities came together and maintained their own systems. It takes people to get along and the communities to share the vision, that can't be created in Barrie, manpower cannot be created from Barrie either. Those three communities have shown when they come together, they produce permit sales, something to think about.

Brian, do you know if Brenda is attending all the district meetings to explain FFC?, D5 meeting is in 2 weeks and I am attending, all I was told is that the proposed changes would be explained by members of the commitee that came up with the proposal.

This is getting better with some good posts...the whole point is how do we do it, How do we make it happen. It's nice to see the personal slams ceasing, I hope. We need to decide what is right for the province.

Its what we don't know right now that is causing the real issue..Keep seeking the truth!! ASK THE QUESTIONS!

Agreed I sure hope its a provincal out look.....ask for the truth,time will tell......Do u really think 200 plus clubs are going to come to the same page.....IMO not a chance with some of the comments and ego's around the province.

In my opinion, the biggest problem in the northern sections is man power, how do you get the volunteers out? If there are not people to run the clubs and do the paperwork how do the trails get maintained? Foleyte folded because no one wanted to do it anymore, how does FFC cure this problem? Look at the remainder of the clubs in 13, ask those people how many active volunteers they have doing the work. Dollars aren't the only problem. Look up the website for Marathon, Geraldton and Longlac, they are still running their clubs under the OFSC and they sold the required permits and maintained all their paperwork. No, they are not interconnected to the rest of the system, but their communities came together and maintained their own systems. It takes people to get along and the communities to share the vision, that can't be created in Barrie, manpower cannot be created from Barrie either. Those three communities have shown when they come together, they produce permit sales, something to think about.

LOL....been saying this for yrs now.....I think the out look is coming a little to late..Foleyte would still be going but the BS that the OFSC has created for clubs to run,operate etc with paperwork etc is a joke when most clubs might have 5-10 active members,and most of the members are retired or getting up in age.....Correct in what u are saying Wildman but IMO a little to late...Foleyte was down to 2 peeps to run the show and having to fight for everything to make it happen thats alot of work,time etc all for 2 volunteers.

Brian, do you know if Brenda is attending all the district meetings to explain FFC?, D5 meeting is in 2 weeks and I am attending, all I was told is that the proposed changes would be explained by members of the commitee that came up with the proposal.

Going to be a full house in Ingersol LOL..should be a interesting meet.

I can't imagine she would be able to visit every District herself, I'm sure they have put together 3 or 4 people to do this task.

She lives relatively close to North Bay and it seems like our second Wednesday of the month District meeting is sooner than others so she may want to do the first few herself to get a feel for what the Clubs are saying and their reactions.

LOL....been saying this for yrs now.....I think the out look is coming a little to late..Foleyte would still be going but the BS that the OFSC has created for clubs to run,operate etc with paperwork etc is a joke when most clubs might have 5-10 active members,and most of the members are retired or getting up in age.....Correct in what u are saying Wildman but IMO a little to late...Foleyte was down to 2 peeps to run the show and having to fight for everything to make it happen thats alot of work,time etc all for 2 volunteers.

The OFSC didn't create the paper work BS. The lawyers and the courts did. Today we have to cover our asses completely. Nobody likes it but its a fact of life today in our society.

So the question is, what is the direction if there are no, or very few active members in failing clubs? That is the first thing to be addressed if the goal is to keep interconnected trails alive, or at least keep what we have. FFC can help keep clubs going that are failing because of dollars, if it works. I am keeping an open mind going to this meeting, but with such a tight time frame between the district meetings and the AGM, I am skeptical that anything will pass AGM. It is going to be allot to comprehend, and every club should want to run #'s and senario's on how it is going to impact their local club, their district and the province. The problem being, most only look at their club, that is where I become skeptical on change. Time will tell, I look forward to hearing what is proposed. If Brian informs us on what he gets from his meeting, we should be able to come up with more questions as each district have their meetings. When is the D9 meeting Faceman? There should be people on here from most districts, hopefully they chime in.....we could come up with many more questions with more info. At this point all we know is there is a proposal.

The OFSC didn't create the paper work BS. The lawyers and the courts did. Today we have to cover our asses completely. Nobody likes it but its a fact of life today in our society.

Classic agreed but we waited(ofsc) and didnt have our p's and q's in order till $hit hit the fan.....my own club has seen it all the last 30yrs etc....u think our society is bad cross the border and try doing bussiness I could tell u stories what we have payed out thru the yrs that would make your head spin,why is this happening greed and me me me....people cannot admit to there stupidity they just want $$$.

So the question is, what is the direction if there are no, or very few active members in failing clubs? That is the first thing to be addressed if the goal is to keep interconnected trails alive, or at least keep what we have. FFC can help keep clubs going that are failing because of dollars, if it works. I am keeping an open mind going to this meeting, but with such a tight time frame between the district meetings and the AGM, I am skeptical that anything will pass AGM. It is going to be allot to comprehend, and every club should want to run #'s and senario's on how it is going to impact their local club, their district and the province. The problem being, most only look at their club, that is where I become skeptical on change. Time will tell, I look forward to hearing what is proposed. If Brian informs us on what he gets from his meeting, we should be able to come up with more questions as each district have their meetings. When is the D9 meeting Faceman? There should be people on here from most districts, hopefully they chime in.....we could come up with many more questions with more info. At this point all we know is there is a proposal.

Wildman get a pen/paper and keep track and ask ???Some clubs may come unglued as u state above as they only think of them selfs and there own backyard....this peeps club run's on rougly 12-14 dollars of the permit price and sell 225-300 permits a yr with all grooming and signage expense looked after by the assoc.....any new trail or other trail expenses(bridges etc) the club deals with, along with looking after our landowners(gift crop damage)....yes we make it happen roughly 3k a yr for my club and there is another 11 clubs in the same boat...yes we have a newer fleet of groomers etc but that all comes down to the assoc and the way its run and our clubs within the assoc....yes we all would like to have big fancy Club houses and the best of everything, do we NO.....there's alot more clubs within the ofsc that are going to have to give and tune down some of the projects for this to be going 10yrs from now.

Wildman get as many to that meet coming up....and lay the cards on the table.

D9  meeting is at the Markdale Community Center on Tuesday Aug 13 at 8pm..We're hoping for 200 plus.

that gives us a week to toss ideas around and come up with more questions (if needed) and prepare us for the d5 meeting. It kinda sucks going into something so important with no info at all, you hit the parking lot to jump in the truck to go home, then the questions come to you. Kinda late at that point.

I am waiting to find out what happens at the AGM sitting on the edge of my seat. Like everyone else we scrap by year by year. I like the regional part of the FFC from a selling point to my region. ie its easier to sell a 125 135 pass as compared to a 210. Of course this means that we have to almost double our sales to come ahead.

I don't think the FFC will be in effect for this year even if it gets rave reviews at the AGM. I guess its a wait and see! I've said all that can be said and may have ruffled a few feathers in the process but I'm hoping that my passion for the sport has come through and even though many do not agree with my thoughts they realize that I'm on the same page when it comes to the trail system.

Prediction is for a long cold winter again this year which is a bonus for us if it happens. Last winter was 6 months long. I hope you in the south have an early snow that stays. Time to start getting my summer stuff completed as fall trail work is around the corner.

Have fun at the AGM and keep an open mind. Maybe the OFSC is on to something or maybe not!

If FFC passes it takes effect immediately and District will be scrambling to implement it. As much as I believe the intent of FFC is proper I still need answers to the most important question...how much money does my club have to operate with, how much money do we have to pay the OFSC for our permits ( as each club or permit sellingg group) is different.What's my bottom line?  Everything is based around a 4 yr average and 11-12 killed a lot of southern clubs on this average, hench, reduced payments. 

...how much money does my club have to operate with, how much money do we have to pay the OFSC for our permits ( as each club or permit sellingg group) is different.What's my bottom line?  

The benefit of the current model is the "ownership" and "care" that members take in their club.

It can be twisted to appear that folks only care about their club, but that's not the case. Lots of good people looking after the interests of their club and hoping that others are faithfully discharging responsibilities in their clubs.

If FFC passes it takes effect immediately and District will be scrambling to implement it. As much as I believe the intent of FFC is proper I still need answers to the most important question...how much money does my club have to operate with, how much money do we have to pay the OFSC for our permits ( as each club or permit sellingg group) is different.What's my bottom line?  Everything is based around a 4 yr average and 11-12 killed a lot of southern clubs on this average, hench, reduced payments. 

The other part that I wonder about it how the money is distributed within the region.  Central Region, as proposed, lumps us in an area bounded by Parry Sound and North Bay.

Do you really think the FFC is going to have Regions?

I don't,

I thought that was unanimously shot down in the previous consultations.

It seems Clubs will no longer be able to be a single permit selling entity, all clubs in each District will be grouped as one selling entity.

That's my guess but we will see later this week.

Do you really think the FFC is going to have Regions?

I don't,

I thought that was unanimously shot down in the previous consultations.

It seems Clubs will no longer be able to be a single permit selling entity, all clubs in each

District will be grouped as one selling entity.

That's my guess but we will see later this week.

That policy will help some clubs for sure and Hurt the ones that go the extra mile to push permit sales.

Archived