Snowmobile Fatalities 2016-2017

Blake G

13 hours ago, Wildbill said:

It took them 2 days to get to her?

They couldn't simply chopper out to her?

As for riding at night, yeah, the bigger water can be funky in the dark - early season, or right after a big snow, but once there are oodles of tracks on it, not too bad. 

Personally - I find night to be much safer if riding the trails. Back in the day - when we rode the trails in Da UP eh(?)  we definitely felt safer at night! You could always see headlights in the trees before you get to them. Everyone knew there was on-comming traffic. 

For the last 20 years of riding north of the Soo to the Northern Corridor, that hasn't been such an issue, but I suspect that S Ontario is no different than da UP eh?

I have been in a few white outs in the day time. Once outside of Schriber, Ontario, the flakes were like loonies, but no wind at all. Found a helmet in the middle of the trail, and after a while we found two women that had stuffed a snowmachine up in the bush after the throttle stuck I think. We had no idea that we were just outside of town. 

A very common place for such white-outs is the Snowy Range, just outside of Laramie, Wyoming. There is a "flats" area there that the wind just howls. 

Did hafta play the "follow our tracks back" trick once in Cooke City, Montana, but the fresh snow was covering up the tracks fast! (in April!)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard about the 25 yr old in Penetanguishene so sad.

My buddy in Midland said guys are out fishing and the ice conditions are terrible 

13 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You just can't get through to some people. How could anyone think GB ice was safe

Still lots of open water on Chandos.

1 hour ago, Ox said:

Did hafta play the "follow our tracks back" trick once in Cooke City, Montana, but the fresh snow was covering up the tracks fast! (in April!)

We've had a couple trips near Marathon & Matachewan running power lines when it was next to impossible to follow the trail. Snowing pretty good & the groomed trail was blown in. Trying to find the next stake & then aiming for it isn't fun.

We also had a trip across Lake of Bays at dusk that was tricky as well. The stakes marking the line weren't orange (white or grey), so they were difficult to pick out. Plus it wasn't dark enough for the light from headlights to reflect off the reflective tape on the stakes.

Not unheard of to head out onto Georgian Bay and a sudden snow squall rolls in. Suddenly you are in a white out, can't see the next stake or the shore. Nothing but white no matter which way you look. Head the wrong way and you could be easily headed for open water. That's where GPS is worth it's weight in gold. Turn around and follow the track line on the GPS back over the route you took already.

48 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Not unheard of to head out onto Georgian Bay and a sudden snow squall rolls in. Suddenly you are in a white out, can't see the next stake or the shore. Nothing but white no matter which way you look. Head the wrong way and you could be easily headed for open water. That's where GPS is worth it's weight in gold. Turn around and follow the track line on the GPS back over the route you took already.

I have AT LEAST one cheap compass squirreled away somewhere in my britches, and at least one more somewhere in the sled. However - while I have gotten accustomed to crossing questionable ice, I never like to stop on it. And if I doo stop on it, I always like to be the last sled coming to a stop as I don't want some joker to pull up right beside me and park. 10' away will be plenty close - thank you very much!

So - what I'm saying there is that I would prefer to dig through my britches looking for a compass while going slow, as to stop and dig through the sled in a white out.

Stopping in a close group on ice, unless you know it is absolutely safe can be indeed unsettling. Even when you are pretty confident in the thickness. I recall a cold winter where I stopped and spoke with an ice fisherman who was boring his hole. When I asked how thick it was he told me he was down about 30 inches and still wasn't through. Later that day there were a group of us stopped on the ice where there was a split in the staked trail. We were discussing which route to take when we heard a loud bang. It was enough to send us all scrambling in different directions thinking the ice under us was breaking or cracking. It was a sled going by that back fired.

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Stopping in a close group on ice, unless you know it is absolutely safe can be indeed unsettling. Even when you are pretty confident in the thickness. I recall a cold winter where I stopped and spoke with an ice fisherman who was boring his hole. When I asked how thick it was he told me he was down about 30 inches and still wasn't through. Later that day there were a group of us stopped on the ice where there was a split in the staked trail. We were discussing which route to take when we heard a loud bang. It was enough to send us all scrambling in different directions thinking the ice under us was breaking or cracking. It was a sled going by that back fired.

Pure terror turns into slapstick comedy in retrospect - but you can never be too careful out on the ice. The loudest cracks I've ever heard were out on upper Cooks Bay / Lake Simcoe. Totally unnerving to say the least.

38 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Pure terror turns into slapstick comedy in retrospect - but you can never be too careful out on the ice. The loudest cracks I've ever heard were out on upper Cooks Bay / Lake Simcoe. Totally unnerving to say the least.

If you dont hear the cracks that is a bigger problem. If its cracking that means its growing. 

The sound is scary but safer....

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

If you dont hear the cracks that is a bigger problem. If its cracking that means its growing. 

Growing is good to a point, until we get those nasty pressure cracks. The good thing is they are always in the same general spots every year.

10 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

I remember being out on lake nippissing ice fishing with a buddy years ago when there was about 4' of ice and they were running dump trucks full of wood across the lake. And the sound of the ice cracking was insane. Sounded like lightening. Went on all weekend long. There were a few good ones that made everybody get out of their seats and run for the door! But it was just making more ice...

how on earth can anyone think Georgian Bay is safe??

My sister lives on Windy Lake north of Sudbury and it just froze over last week and even Whitewater notorious early good ice has maybe 10" if that

here is pictures from last week on Lake Winnipeg Dec 19

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

strong south wind and the ice shifted out a mile from the day before

and we had -30s, ice is only 10inches as seen in the pictures

RIP fellow sledder...

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/7038704-two-deaths-this-season-opp-remind-snowmobilers-to-make-smart-choices/

Dec 27, 2016  |  Vote 0    0

Two deaths this season; OPP remind snowmobilers to make smart choices

OPP:

OPP:

loading.gif
Parry Sound North Star

PARRY SOUND — UPDATE: A third snowmobiler has died in an accident last night, Tuesday, Dec. 27, in Sault Ste. Marie.

Making smart choices while snowmobiling will help ensure that not only will your journey be enjoyable, it will also be a safe one, says the OPP and the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC).

There have already been two snowmobiler deaths this season, one in Penetanguishene Bay and one in Kearney, and the OPP and the OFSC are reminding snowmobilers to take personal responsibility for their own safety and well-being this winter. The decisions you make while snowmobiling may impact your eligibility to drive a vehicle or even worse, they may have consequences which could impact your health or life, the two organizations said in a recent press release. Here are their tips for a safe and enjoyable ride:

Plan your journey

Safe snowmobiling isn’t just what happens while out on the trail, it’s part of a process of making smart choices throughout your entire journey. It starts with preparing your sled, gear and equipment before your first ride and maintaining these throughout the season. It continues through the planning and communication of your riding route and by always checking trail availability prior to accessing trails via the Interactive Trail Guide at ofsc.on.ca. Smart choices are especially important at the start of the season, a critical period as snow arrives and trail preparations commence although trails remain unavailable for riding.

Once on the trail, every snowmobiler has the responsibility to ride with caution and to continually make smart choices. Riders are reminded that snowmobiling is an off-road activity that occurs in an unpredictable and uncontrollable natural environment.

What is an unpredictable and uncontrollable natural environment?

Quite simply, every snowmobiler needs to recognize that trails aren’t predictable or engineered like roadways. Signage is provided as a courtesy, not as a right and snowmobiles lack the personal safety equipment found on cars and trucks. Sudden dips and rises, curves and bumps are common and are all capable of throwing surprises at you when you least expect it. Always expect the unexpected, you never know what’s around the corner or over the next hill.

Know the law, it’s designed to keep you safe

OFSC-prescribed trails are subject to laws governed under the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act and enforced by local police detachments all over the province. Snowmobilers are encouraged to know the law and ride within it.

To keep snowmobiling safe and enjoyable for everyone, there are a number of simple things each and every rider can do, including but not limited to:

• Know your abilities and ride within them.

• Adjust your speed to account for visibility, climate, terrain and familiarity.

• Know your machine’s capabilities and don’t push beyond them.

• Know your riding area and plan your route.

• Stay on trails and in areas where snowmobiles are permitted.

• Drive on the right side of the trail.

• Use extra caution when riding during the evening or night.

• Do not use alcohol or drugs before or during snowmobiling. Zero tolerance is the only way to ride safely.

• Carry emergency supplies and learn first aid and survival skills.

• Know and use proper hand signals.

• Know the law and ride within it.

• Ride with a buddy or a group.

Snowmobiling is great fun, and you can ensure your enjoyment by respecting the law and making smart choices.

The OPP is committed to saving lives on Ontario’s highways, trails and waterways through the reduction of preventable injury and death. Initiatives are developed and delivered through the OPP Provincial Traffic Safety Program.

The OFSC is committed to proactive leadership in promoting safe, responsible riding on and off Ontario’s snowmobile trails, by building safer snowmobiling knowledge, attitudes and behaviours through rider education and safety promotion partnerships.

For more information, visit Snowmobile Safety in Ontario and Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs.

From the MCTV Faceplant page tonight:

Sudbury Police say one person is dead after a snowmobiling crash in the Greater Sudbury community of Garson this aft. Police are investigating. No other details have been released by police at this time.

Should be interesting.

All the trails in garson are closed except for a very small section.

Sledder killed yesterday on CLOSED trails (I think).

We only have a small section that is limited.

• Bookmark and Share

Change text size for the story

Print

Report an error

A snowmobile operator is dead following an accident in Garson.

Greater Sudbury Police said Monday night they are "currently investigating a single-motorized-snow-vehicle fatality that occurred in Garson earlier this afternoon."

The operator succumbed to injuries at the scene, police said.

"Greater Sudbury Police Traffic Management Officers continue to investigate this collision," the police service reported.

The identity of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

sud.editorial@sunmedia.ca

These accidents are always sad for those who have lost their lives and those that have lost friends and loved ones.

We all need to do our part to keep us all safe. 

This type of risk (See Photos) is unacceptable:

(Rider, NO Helmet, Passenger is cargo Toboggan)

Snapshot - 1.png

(Child about 10 driving rear sled)

Snapshot - 2.png

(Children in Sleigh, towed by sled driven by a child with a Helmet and an adult without a helmet riding on the back)

Snapshot - 3.png

(Close up of tow sled)

Snapshot - 4.png

This was on Muskoka Road 6 on Sunday.

Happy New Year!  I hope they all made it unharmed.  This is how Snowmobilers get a bad reputation!

40 minutes ago, Domino said:

These accidents are always sad for those who have lost their lives and those that have lost friends and loved ones.

We all need to do our part to us all safe. 

This type of risk (See Photos) is unacceptable:

(Rider, NO Helmet, Passenger is cargo Toboggan)

Snapshot - 1.png

(Child about 10 driving rear sled)

Snapshot - 2.png

(Children in Sleigh, towed by sled driven by a child with a Helmet and an adult without a helmet riding on the back)

Snapshot - 3.png

(Close up of tow sled)

Snapshot - 4.png

This was on Muskoka Road 6 on Sunday.

Happy New Year!  I hope they all made it unharmed.  This is how Snowmobilers get a bad reputation!

But the one person was wearing a reflective safety coat.... what more do you want. You can't fix stupid.

15 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

But the one person was wearing a reflective safety coat.... what more do you want. You can't fix stupid.

That makes up for the lack of Helmet....

The things Im sure most of us did when we were younger now looking back were probably pretty stupid.  I don't know how many times my mother would say " you get that helmet on or else!"   This was probably when I was barely even a teenager, on an old 72 olympic.   One day, i did however wish I'd listened to her.  There was a crust of ice on the snow and the skis caught and i face planted in it while riding in the field across the road that I was allowed to go in.    A tad scraped up and I tried to avoid her knowingly id get the " I TOLD YOU SO" .   Remember it like it was yesterday.  I remember christmas toboggans not lasting more than a day or so, tearing up the gravel road behind the sled driven by my buddy.  Plastic toboggan didn't stand up to the gravel poking through.

Disclaimer;  Not encouraged & No youngins ( or old ones LOL) try this at home!!

2 hours ago, shawnj said:

The things Im sure most of us did when we were younger now looking back were probably pretty stupid.  I don't know how many times my mother would say " you get that helmet on or else!"   This was probably when I was barely even a teenager, on an old 72 olympic.   One day, i did however wish I'd listened to her.  There was a crust of ice on the snow and the skis caught and i face planted in it while riding in the field across the road that I was allowed to go in.    A tad scraped up and I tried to avoid her knowingly id get the " I TOLD YOU SO" .   Remember it like it was yesterday.  I remember christmas toboggans not lasting more than a day or so, tearing up the gravel road behind the sled driven by my buddy.  Plastic toboggan didn't stand up to the gravel poking through.

Disclaimer;  Not encouraged & No youngins ( or old ones LOL) try this at home!!

Emphasis on the '72 Olympic. In the "old days" we had some pretty lo powered sleds in the day. Bro' & I had a '71 Oly' 300. Fast forward to nowadays. My 1 trail incident happened when I t boned a 19 year old on a 583 MXZ who was on the wrong side of the trail.

This winter, a high school kid (as dumb as a stump) in the village was given a used MXZ800 by his estranged father. He's been running up & down the sidewalk thru the village on minimal snow. Hopefully sooner rather than later he either seizes it up or wrecks the paddle track.

When I started sledding alone, I was about 10 or 11 and didn't have a helmet.  I was on a 67 Super Olympique (14.5 HP) and often rode it flat out (30 mph clocked on a road)  I guess we had harder heads back then :-):wtf:

Archived