Too Quiet!

Ox

As always, nice pics ski !   I might even know where the lake pics are.

I will try to get some time to put more out there.  Here is a classic from the past.036_zps249bce9f.jpg

Scott

That looks like SJ sled :lmao:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't give him any ideas!

:-P

(great pics)

not bright enough

Sledjunk, or the lights?

post-19774-0-30710200-1406831201_thumb.jpg

Ouch!  Double Ouch! :angry-smiley-005: :angry-smiley-005:

On the way to Halfway Haven (a stop on the way to Chapleau from Searchmont) back in Feb. of 2009 we came to a bridge which was blocked with sleds.  At first I was thinking that these people (the group was made of couples all riding their own sleds) are just taking pics and should have parked out of the way.  After a couple minutes and all ignoring the fact that they were blocking the bridge, I walked up onto the bridge to ask them to please get off the bridge.  I saw that they were not paying any attension to me, so I started to become angry.  Then I saw that the women who missed the bridge was shaking and dressed funny in pajamas and slippers under a space blanket sitting on one of the sleds up in the center of the bridge.  She took the corner wide and missed the bridge going too fast to stop. The sled went down and skipped the water and stopped on top of a thin sheet of ice.  She had hit the brakes and held them rather than hit the gas to continue off the ice.  The sled eventually broke through as she tried to walk off the ice.  Lucky she did not get sucked under the ice down river.  I showed the pictures to Steve at Halfway later that day.   

When we got back to the Searchmont General Store (the old store) 3 days later, I asked what had become of the women.  She made it into the store on the back of another womens sled after being tied to the driver due to falling off a couple times because she could not control her hands.  She made it and the sled was brought in hours later and overnight it was warmed and had maintenance.  The group stayed at the ski lodge and all rode back to St. Joseph Island the next day including the thawed out women.  Very lucky women!

100_2232_zpsb5501633.jpg100_2234_zpsb22f905e.jpg100_2238_zps6f7e72be.jpg100_2239_zps85d39361.jpg100_2240_zps756e7864.jpg100_2241_zps7d4423d9.jpg100_2243_zpscf78632c.jpg100_2246_zps4cf911c3.jpg100_2251_zpsd5ed7c86.jpg100_2252_zpsbf7aaebf.jpg100_2262_zps54c56a5f.jpg100_2270_zps8c962724.jpg100_2273_zps9915fa59.jpg100_2278_zpsd11e2d65.jpg100_2281_zps05b7b86f.jpg100_2284_zps4ae5a06c.jpg    

awesome pics Scott. that lady was very lucky. Ski

Where are the next to the last two pics taken?

Where are the next to the last two pics taken?

Hi Ox,

The trip down from Chapleau to Elliot Lake shows Flame Lake Lodge, the driveway back into the lodge and then the next day on the way back from Elliot Lake to Black Creek the big hill on the F trail.  That big hill is about 4 miles north of Laurentian Lodge on the F Trail after crossing Hyw 639.  Last season Paige and I broke through from Black Creek to Elliot Lake before it was groomed and I jumped out around that hill on the Hyw because I did not know if we could climb it or if any trees were down across it.  The snow was deep there.

The next to the last picture was on D106 about 20 miles south of Black Creek (Aubrey Falls) just north of where D106 crosses Hyw 129.  We were on our way back over to Searchmont.  The last picture was where the D Trail merges with SSM5 to Searchmont.  That outhouse always gets some major snow buildup on the roof.  

Nice weekend loop from Blueberry to Halfway Haven to Chapleau to Black Creek to Elliot Lake and then back to Goulais River. 

May have to check F on a good snow year some time. 

I have only been in the Wakomata area on F.

Ox,

Last season we were invited by Dan Senior to run from the Iron Bridge area (east on Hyw. 17 from the Soo) and make a mostly non-groomed trail ride using the lakes and portages to loop up to Black Creek and then down to Elliot Lake and then back to our starting point.  The snow was so deep that we feared getting stuck down on some of the little lakes and especially climbing the hills to get back up and out of them. 

You might have liked breaking untouched snow and trying to figure where we were at a couple of times.  I was glad Dan and the guys had some experience back in there!

Scott

Badlands / Wawa

1100 Turbo 163 (One of my Colorado riding chumms)

DSCN0623_zps2189375e.jpg

DSCN0624_zpsff03d691.jpg

Well, I guess there's no following him up there now ....

DSCN0625_zps23bf6cac.jpg

DSCN0626_zps879bc33c.jpg

No pics of it - but he was spinning out at the top pretty seriously, yet the nose was strait up in the air and I think he was walking along behind it a bit too. For a second there it wasn't clear if it was gunna stay up there or not.

This was his first trip north of the St. Mary's. 

He's wishing now that he and his chumms would have tried the badlands out yrs ago, as it beats Big Bay!

Pretty sure that he will be back. Not necessarily to the Badlands, but north of the St. Mary's anyhow.

That hill looked a lot bigger when you are the bottom of it than it does in this h'yah pic. I told him that I wasn't gunna doo it. The snow was too loose and the hill too steep to be hitting with my putzy 2 stroker. But that turbo loves a good strait run!

That sled will likely never see Ontario again tho. It's just too clumsy to navigate the tight stuff. He was wishing that he had his Doo instead....

My buddy and I both got out of the Turbo bussiness.  They had great power, but not the most nimble.  The motors were bullet proof, but the power can destroy the rest of the drive train every few thousand miles, unless they have upgraded the drive line.  Buying the first year models was not very smart.

Went back to the 2-strokes and happy to feel the difference when I ride and when I get stuck.

IMG_2155_zps8aad5326.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

LOL!

Now that I think aboot it, we weren't on F there either....  :icon_doh:

• 2 months later...

getting closer... Ski

post-19738-0-18522700-1414756882_thumb.j

getting closer... Ski

We love this pic Ski!

Nice finds.

more funny business. we found 3 antlers that day. Ski

post-19738-0-23909000-1414786473_thumb.j

getting closer... Ski

Little Miss Bullwinkle?

Great pic!

Doo you need a note from her Mom to get her accrost the border?

Aboot outt'a time to fetch _ less expensive _ permits ....

The big Kitty may like to climb, but it doesn't float like a Doo ....

DSCN0628_zpsdc5ace72.jpg

Doo you need a note from her Mom to get her accrost the border?

I would hope the marriage certificate would suffice at da borda.  :D Ski

Archived