Abitibi canyon fuel

ZR1BANDIT

8 hours ago, ZR1BANDIT said:

will there be fuel at the abitibi canyon outpost in late February 2024??  any ideas about how price might be ??  thanks for any help here

Yes

Expensive. Probably $5/L based on previous years.   

New owners fully now (a positive in my eyes) and they have a new website. 

https://www.sledabitibi.com/?fbclid=IwAR1YU8FDuOVCqhWCbsIT4LiKIqOojLseDMH9MY8zWsF_AbTaibBDSmQFHaE

I can only assume that they will have fuel like previous years but can’t personally confirm. Send Steve a message on Facebook or email or call (info on the website). 

sounds good ,I will miss reading about all the drama though

6 hours ago, willb said:

https://www.sledabitibi.com/?fbclid=IwAR1YU8FDuOVCqhWCbsIT4LiKIqOojLseDMH9MY8zWsF_AbTaibBDSmQFHaE

I can only assume that they will have fuel like previous years but can’t personally confirm. Send Steve a message on Facebook or email or call (info on the website). 

From their site:

• Professional Team
  • High Integrity
  • Have Been Certified
  • Trustworthy
  • Professional Team
  • Trustworthy
  • High Integrity
  • Have Been Certified

---

Website may have roots at the Department of Redundancy Department. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, willb said:

Who are the new owners? I ask because when I read all the info. on fuel portion of the website it talks about the fuel dealer having been with them from the very start. That makes me think some of the ownership has been around in the past.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Who are the new owners? I ask because when I read all the info. on fuel portion of the website it talks about the fuel dealer having been with them from the very start. That makes me think some of the ownership has been around in the past.

x2.....I was looking at the website, that is nice and it mentioneds fuel, and the facebook page, that is the same one as before.....figured with new owners, maybe a new FB page too.

I would not expect a new page at all, but rather new admin for the Facebook page, and a clear of all previous posts. 

(IDK how much trouble that would be?)

38 minutes ago, Ox said:

I would not expect a new page at all, but rather new admin for the Facebook page, and a clear of all previous posts. 

(IDK how much trouble that would be?)

Not sure you can clean up all that old stuff and part of the reason for the new page, to start with a clean slate. 
been lots of not so good dialogue. 
Here’s hoping the new ownership maintains better relations with polar bear riders. 

• Like 3

On 11/16/2023 at 7:00 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Stay safe and be well.
Steve Downie
Owner / Manager
Snowmobiler’s Paradise at Abitibi Canyon Base Camp

I do not know the details of the new ownership or the transfer. Just was told new owners last year and now see the new website. Only can go up though!

Bingo. The new owners were around late part of last year. We met them in the late part of the season, and again in Cochrane. They were at the sled show in TO just a few weeks ago. I was asking the Cochrane rep who was speaking with the new owners and felt that fuel prices were to remain the same at 5/litre. 

They've certainly upped the marketing. They have a billboard ad around Huntsville, northbound hyw 11.

• Like 1

We rode up there last year in 3rd week of January.  I am not sure it it was new management or old but despite all of the hype I had read I thought we were treated and received fairly well by staff.  No we could not get a hotdog as the fuel man was only employee there that day and he was busy running pump and cashing out guys.  Food girl was on a supply run and not there yet.

Coffee and hot chocolate was free that day I think   And do not really care if it was $2 or more   It was hot.   

I imagine some people might have been upset with the service   But our group of 5 had no issues.   And yes we spent a pile on gas   Probably $500 for the group.   But we had a blast on way up and down.  And we needed the gas as a couple guys were right empty when we hit Cochrane   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZR1BANDIT said:

i assume you have to pay cash for fuel and food up there, is that correct ??   No credit cards taken ?

I am sure someone weill comment, I think the last time we were there, I am sure we paid cash.

This is noted on the website, so they might have interact based on interent connecttion, but I would go with the assumuption cash and consider interact as a bonus.

"We do NOT have cell phone service, but we do have Starlink Wi-Fi. We have no hydro and rely on generators and an oil heater"

Starlink wifi will be great for calling for a flat bed/trailer up there for broken sleds.  Lets hope they still keep the chili fresh with a ladel full of the hot dog water. Thats a really special touch you cant get just anywhere 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

What will price of gas be if the canyon loop opens after sitting a month with no snow?

7 hours ago, Sksman said:

What will price of gas be if the canyon loop opens after sitting a month with no snow?

I think I'll just think about getting snow rather than the price of fuel.

• Haha 3