Permits

signfan

With AGM over is there official permit pricing for Ontario available yet?

Just jumping through websites and found the new brunswick site.  They used to be cheaper than Ontario, but not anymore.  Looks like they're bringing in some major increases.  Will be interesting to see if it pans out for them.

https://www.snowmobilenb.com/permits/

Last year we paid $40 for one day pass,

Can’t remember if it was $70 or $80 for 2 day pass in NB

l don’t mind permit fees if the grooming is top notch majority of the time.

Quebec permit is getting expensive but still good value if you have the time to get some decent miles on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yukon said:

There will be an official announcement from the OFSC soon.

When the announcement is made in the next couple of days keep this in mind.

some info from the updated Economic Impact of Snowmobiling in Ontario was released at AGM.  The value of volunteer contributions through out the organization have been estimated at $16.4M annually.  Based on approx 100,000 permits sold, that represents a cash savings of $164 to every permit buyer.  That’s huge.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

some info from the updated Economic Impact of Snowmobiling in Ontario was released at AGM.  The value of volunteer contributions through out the organization have been estimated at $16.4M annually.  Based on approx 100,000 permits sold, that represents a cash savings of $164 to every permit buyer.  That’s huge.

Wow!

Thank you volunteers!

54 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Hey Pete, I saw you this weekend and wasn't able to get to you to shake your hand.

Thanks for your time spent ay the Provincial level.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Paul.  It was an interesting 2 years as District Governor.  You get a whole different perspective at that level vs the club/district.  

hopefully will still serve on a couple of committees.

Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Putting a figure on this can really help put it into perspective. 

How is this valuable detail being communicated to those not involved directly, on a forum, etc…. any advertising being planned to get that out there?

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Thats huge BUT I think I would rather pay $150 more for my permit and not rely on volunteers as much.   The volunteers get burnt out and are hard to replace.      

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Thats huge BUT I think I would rather pay $150 more for my permit and not rely on volunteers as much.   The volunteers get burnt out and are hard to replace.      

It wouldn’t cost 150 more though be more like 250 more. Always waste in an organization when you pay for labour. 
As rider base shrinks so do volunteers though. I like to see more of a balance though. Police force uses volunteers and don’t pay them for various activities too. Fire fighters same thing. 

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Putting a figure on this can really help put it into perspective. 

How is this valuable detail being communicated to those not involved directly, on a forum, etc…. any advertising being planned to get that out there?

That’s a great question Stoney.  The updated report will be released shortly.  It is available to all clubs and districts through Club House.  The whole report is an interesting read as it provides economic data such as employment generated, taxes paid to all levels of govt etc. it even breaks it down by district so local clubs can leverage this information with local municipalities and landowners when negotiating land use permissions. In the last report, snowmobiling generated approx 700 full time jobs in my district.  Most landowners like to know that allowing use of their land is keeping somebody employed somewhere. It’s a powerful tool.

But if we don’t use it, it’s just another report gathering dust on a shelf in somebody’s office.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

59 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

It wouldn’t cost 150 more though be more like 250 more. Always waste in an organization when you pay for labour. 
As rider base shrinks so do volunteers though. I like to see more of a balance though. Police force uses volunteers and don’t pay them for various activities too. Fire fighters same thing. 

I actually think the $16.4M is light.  Have not seen the actual report yet but I believe it looks at volunteer time only.  What about all the donated goods and services that are donated such as use of personal tools/equipment or all the heavy equipment that contractors provide for little or no charge.  I think you could make the number $20M quite easily. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Big Pete said:

I actually think the $16.4M is light.  Have not seen the actual report yet but I believe it looks at volunteer time only.  What about all the donated goods and services that are donated such as use of personal tools/equipment or all the heavy equipment that contractors provide for little or no charge.  I think you could make the number $20M quite easily. 

I think your right. I like to see permit price go up so volunteers get better equipment to do thier job. Many like helping but could use some extra support. I have no problem buying lunch, Tim cards etc with some of permit money to keep things in tack. 
 If you send in paid personal to help many more will say screw it, since they aren’t getting paid and might be back lash and less people to help too. 

15 hours ago, Big Pete said:

We need to find a way to track this. It will give a truer picture of our trail fund allocations. We can always use more money...

What I've always found interesting is the fact that it's spending which ( often ) benefits remote communities, where sledders buying a restaurant meal, groceries, sled repairs, lodging, even fuel....keep the lights on when summer tourists have left. 

• Like 2

What is painfully obvious is without all the volunteer work and generous person(s) and businesses that help to keep the machine running - the cost to ride would be astronomical - and we'd have a lot less places to go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

What I've always found interesting is the fact that it's spending which ( often ) benefits remote communities, where sledders buying a restaurant meal, groceries, sled repairs, lodging, even fuel....keep the lights on when summer tourists have left. 

It sure does not seem as of late this other huge factor is communicated so the public can grasp the benefits sledding has in so many areas.

Maybe it is, but I recall hearing it more publicized more often years ago and not so much any more.

We know every year there are the bad apples and events, that seem to take front stage to our sport in the form of a black eye to many, but publicizing these huge financial plus's sure could help offset some of those not so good events.  

20 hours ago, stoney said:

It sure does not seem as of late this other huge factor is communicated so the public can grasp the benefits sledding has in so many areas.

Maybe it is, but I recall hearing it more publicized more often years ago and not so much any more.

We know every year there are the bad apples and events, that seem to take front stage to our sport in the form of a black eye to many, but publicizing these huge financial plus's sure could help offset some of those not so good events.  

and our government

Sleeding sure does pump money into the local communities. When the Hotel in Sprucedale closed, traffic and customers dropped of at the gas station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

It was a good stopping point, part of rap too. Not allot of choice that way either and it was decent when open. 

It was the perfect place.

• Like 1