Sled Insurance

Caistor Farm Boy

I'm with The Personal. 

Believe you need to be in a union to use them. Not 100% sure anymore.

$365 for 2017 ZR9000

$265 for 2015 Pantera 7000,

Plus tax.

Full coverage on both

5 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Bad experience on a claim? 
Some people have a great experience with td and others it’s a cluster cluck. I personally like having a broker since he get best payout and service possible. Td woukdnt touch my four wheeler because it’s used commercial on my farm. Go figure. I have everything with a broker now except snowmobile. Seems most companies don’t want sleds is half problem. 

Brokers don’t dictate payouts, your policy and the Insurance Act do. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Is there not an internal avenue that you can take to challenge something like that so a bad apple like this can be dealt with or at least exercise an avenue to try and deal with that?

Yeah, an Ombudsman.

That said, there are always two sides to a story.😁

5 hours ago, signfan said:

Yep.  Was robbed.  Lost two sleds and a trailer from our driveway. Trailer was with another insurer and we had no issues settling things up.  Settled on my sled with few issues with one claims adjuster from TD.  She was great and we came to a fair deal in short order.  Wife's sled was another story.  Different adjuster and she had a stick up her arse.  After I provided numerous comparables and went back and forth for 6 plus weeks in what I felt was a respectful professional manner we finally came to an agreement that was fair.  Figured it was dealt with despite her best efforts to make me the guy that got robbed (the victim) feel like the bad guy.

Went shopping several months later. Bought  the replacement sled for my wife and called TD from the road on the way home to put coverage in place.  At that point, they told me they wouldn't insure me again.  Apparently the adjuster red flagged me.  No discussion.  No mention of it.  I was shocked.  

Been with L and A mutual ever since.  Pay a touch more, but I know I'm properly covered.  Had one claim at our cottage when tree blew on the dock in a wind storm.  Night and day difference working through the claim process.  You get what you pay for.  I will never deal with TD again for anything (banking, insurance, etc).  Real example of how not to treat your customers.  The adjustor may think she won, but I have and will continue to tell everyone I know what TD can be like.

You aren’t first one that has been denied coverage after a claim. I use to have house insurance with td too. One day they reduced my basement sump pump flood coverage to 10k from 50k. That’s when,  I decided to pack up and move it to a broker and just left sled with them. 

24 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Yeah, an Ombudsman.

That said, there are always two sides to a story.😁

Well, of course - thankfully in this world we live in, so much is done via email that provides a trail to the two sides.

But to make an allegation like this, I would hope any insurance company would need some good concrete evidence to deny a person.

12 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Actually agsinst the law to deny you insurance isn’t it? 

Actually no, it isn't - that's why you have an "application".

Because it's required for an auto to be on the road - there is a facility market if no regular market is interested in taking you on.

Facility will provide you coverage if no regular market will

11 hours ago, stoney said:

Well, of course - thankfully in this world we live in, so much is done via email that provides a trail to the two sides.

But to make an allegation like this, I would hope any insurance company would need some good concrete evidence to deny a person.

His claim was paid.

He was cancelled on renewal - not denied.

Those are two completely different things.

Any insurer or insured have the right to cease doing business with each other.

I was also canceled by TD over a miss reported accident.

My son had a minor accident and they listed me as the driver instead of him.

I'm with a broker now.

TD refused to insure me because I had too many not at fault claims in 3 years.  

1 was a not at fault accident where I was rear ended and 2 were windshields FFS!!!  

I will NEVER use them for anything out of principal.  

Seems to be a trend with this TD firm - only insure the low risk clients, sort of defeats the purpose of Ins, but like anything, need to play the percentages, cannot have too many clients that are deemed higher risk, whether by their fault or not.

At least denying upon renewal does not affect you where cancelling you does, if I am not mistaken.

I have TD for sleds and trailers, no claims that I can recall, so I am still good for now and should see my renewal papers coming soon.....lol

26 minutes ago, stoney said:

Seems to be a trend with this TD firm - only insure the low risk clients, sort of defeats the purpose of Ins, but like anything, need to play the percentages, cannot have too many clients that are deemed higher risk, whether by their fault or not.

At least denying upon renewal does not affect you where cancelling you does, if I am not mistaken.

I have TD for sleds and trailers, no claims that I can recall, so I am still good for now and should see my renewal papers coming soon.....lol

Only my sled is with TD.

They entered the market with low rates - that's how they pulled us all in.

They ceased renewing clients that had payouts.

They're all the same.

Only time an insurer can show their worth is service on a claim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Only my sled is with TD.

They're all the same.

Ya, kind of my thoughts, as long as you pay my claim and deal with it professionally, that is the important part and what you are paid for.

I have heard good and bad from various people on that front from dealing with TD and others, I have no experience myself, for now, knock on wood, so hard to form a strong opinion, but I am sure they are all the same, except a broker I guess since they are a middle man.

TD did once however deny me insurance on my drag car many, many years ago, I was using it originally for both street and strip so had normal insurance at that point, than went just strip but left fire and theft on it in case anything happened to it and it was appraised at the time as well, I recall having a call one day with a person from TD about my policies in general and the car came up, asked some questions, I answered and then that happened shortly after.....I was not surprised by it to be honest, so looked into a specialty insurance firm for that afterwards.

9 minutes ago, stoney said:

Ya, kind of my thoughts, as long as you pay my claim and deal with it professionally, that is the important part and what you are paid for.

I have heard good and bad from various people on that front from dealing with TD and others, I have no experience myself, for now, knock on wood, so hard to form a strong opinion, but I am sure they are all the same, except a broker I guess since they are a middle man.

TD did once however deny me insurance on my drag car many, many years ago, I was using it originally for both street and strip so had normal insurance at that point, than went just strip but left fire and theft on it in case anything happened to it and it was appraised at the time as well, I recall having a call one day with a person from TD about my policies in general and the car came up, asked some questions, I answered and then that happened shortly after.....I was not surprised by it to be honest, so looked into a specialty insurance firm for that afterwards.

Sleds in Ontario are all insured under the OAP - settlement is set out within that form, along with the Insurance Act, so they all HAVE to follow the same rules/regulations.

They can't go rogue.

Service on how they choose to deal with their customer is the only thing that can set them apart.

TD are direct writers and write only the simplest risks - they are not a company that dives into anything specialized or niche. 

If you have anything that is not a regular car or house - they are likely not the company for you.

For those types of risks - or if you have zero knowledge of anything about insurance at all - is where a broker can be helpful.

Like everything else in the world - there are good brokers and not so good brokers.

Some are very very knowledgeable - some are very good at selling and have ZERO understanding of claims etc. - which can also give a false sense to the client.

I have come across some that should not have a license to sell - period.

Anyway, do your homework - find someone you like - and put your money where you want.

Cheap does not = good.

You get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Only my sled is with TD.

They're all the same.

Me too. Only have my sled left after taking the house away over sub pump endorsement flood limit  🤣
Nothing bad to say about td.

48 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Me too. Only have my sled left after taking the house away over sub pump endorsement flood limit  🤣
Nothing bad to say about td.

You and a lot of others.

Their limits will barely cover the clean-up costs these days - let alone the repairs and personal property damage. I could never have my house with them for the same reason.

Need the RIGHT coverage!

On 9/19/2023 at 6:09 PM, RAMSOMAIR said:

I'm sure many have had the same experience with other providers also. Your'e not alone.

I dunno we had a 1 million barn fire in early 1990’s. Took 3 departments to control blaze on our 3 storey.

Insurance never cancelled us but hatchery threatened to sue us over lost chick placement that was coming up.

Burned 3 days before chicks came in. 
Seems like there was more fundamentals in place back then. 

long storey short they culled chicks and never bothered with law suit. 
Few 😎

I was with TD years ago, won’t do business with them ever again. Banking, insurance etc.

just don’t like them lol

i e been with Allstate for a few years now for the house, wife’s car and sled/s. 

I think im paying around $200 just for liability.

no theft or collision. I may add them, we’ll see what the rates are this year. 

17 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I was with TD years ago, won’t do business with them ever again. Banking, insurance etc.

just don’t like them lol

i e been with Allstate for a few years now for the house, wife’s car and sled/s. 

I think im paying around $200 just for liability.

no theft or collision. I may add them, we’ll see what the rates are this year. 

Only reason I have collision incase something stupid happens they cover it. 
All it takes is some moron don’t see snowmobile in a parking lot and drives truck or suv into it and leaves as one example. See that happen once in my sledding life.  Thing was a right off. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:55 PM, yamadan700 said:

I'm with The Personal. 

Believe you need to be in a union to use them. Not 100% sure anymore.

$365 for 2017 ZR9000

$265 for 2015 Pantera 7000,

Plus tax.

Full coverage on both

I think you get preferred rates if you are part of certain groups/orgs....,like union.

My wife is and so far what she has been quoted, is not what I would say is preferred.

You seem to get some good rates though based on full coverage.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:47 AM, Strong Farmer said:

Only reason I have collision incase something stupid happens they cover it. 
All it takes is some moron don’t see snowmobile in a parking lot and drives truck or suv into it and leaves as one example. See that happen once in my sledding life.  Thing was a right off. 

Same here, or accident on trail that could be hard to determine who was in the wrong or while being towed in trailer and an accident happens, etc.....

Considering the time of year this sport is enjoyed, the conditions for accidents to happen are quite a bit worse.