Gaspe Trip Thread - Info, Ideas, Routes, Accommodations, Home Base Start, etc....

stoney

21 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Stoney, if we are doing the whole Gaspe or have someone in the group that hasn’t done it this is the route would take assuming weather is good for the five day ride.

Covers off all the good interior trails:

1. Chic Choc trail, LaCache to Murdochville 

2. 595 N and S

3. 587 South

4. 597 south (between Chandler and Murdochville, is a piston alley run if you enjoy that.

Includes Perce Rock , which once you seen it once not priority for me on future trips.

The south shore, orange on the BonVoyage Map you posted is a waste of time. Relatively flat and not much to see.

Don’t want to miss the north shore. Ride from Cap Chat to Mont St Pierre is a must do.

IMG_0546.png

Yep that's spot on.  Only thing I might try is the club trail loop north of Carleton sur mur.  Maybe take the club trail over to Gaspe and cut out Perce Rock.  Nice Itenary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Stoney, if we are doing the whole Gaspe or have someone in the group that hasn’t done it this is the route would take assuming weather is good for the five day ride.

Covers off all the good interior trails:

1. Chic Choc trail, LaCache to Murdochville 

2. 595 N and S

3. 587 South

4. 597 south (between Chandler and Murdochville, is a piston alley run if you enjoy that.

Includes Perce Rock , which once you seen it once not priority for me on future trips.

The south shore, orange on the BonVoyage Map you posted is a waste of time. Relatively flat and not much to see.

Don’t want to miss the north shore. Ride from Cap Chat to Mont St Pierre is a must do.

IMG_0546.png

That seems like a good loop/route......like others, sticking to near the 300km per day is a good number.

The map I posted was just some random things I googled when I was making the thread about Gaspe - good to know trail along the South shore is not a must see.

Thanks for sharing the above.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stoney said:

Curious, why do you not take 595 all the way from 5 to la cache and than over to Murdochville - do you prefer staying on 5 and ride along the St Lawrence or other reasons?

Sounds like taking the interior trails around Gaspesie National Park is really good.

The section of trail 5 east from 595 to 597 is the most scenic section of the north shore and should not be missed in my estimation. There are I believe 7 large mountains that you climb and crossover on this section with amazing views of the coastline and the St. Lawrence. When you come down off each mountain you will find a valley with a stream running to the coast and often a village or town at the coastline.

• Like 3

Man I don't  go on the forum for a couple days and look at all the fun I missed     Glad Coldfinger is on this quick    He knows the area real good and has alot of tips    Even for the short days     LOL     

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone planning a Gaspe trip this winter it was announced yesterday that the interior trail that runs through the Chic Choc mountains between LaCache and Murdochville will be closed all winter due to some bridges that are unsafe.

Unfortunate as it is one of the most scenic trails.

Pink trail is the closed one. The green dot is LaCache.

D4D1A6D3-B27F-4065-9019-EB80DA921407.png

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Anyone planning a Gaspe trip this winter it was announced yesterday that the interior trail that runs through the Chic Choc mountains between LaCache and Murdochville will be closed all winter due to some bridges that are unsafe.

Too bad, its one of a handful of very scenic trails in Gaspe and one of our favorites. Very bad news for La Cache where a huge investment has been made on improvements over the last few years and also for the Hotel Copper in Murdockville.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fuse6 said:

Oh, that sure does suck.

Thanks for the info!

42 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Anyone run south of Gaspe and to New Brunswick ? 

Been into New Brunswick a couple of times Nick but only as far south as St. Leonard on the west side (going into Maine) and Bathurst on the east side.  

• Thanks 1

We’ve done a Gaspe/NB trip the last two winters. 
Haven’t stayed at the railcars but they do look cool.

This year staying in Florenceville at the Amsterdam Inn. 
Railcars not practical for guys trip needing enough beds. 

Hopefully Slo-mo comes back.His scouting missions and reports were a great resource to learn about places a lot of us have never been.

• Like 3

So for those that have done the Gaspe trip, would it be best to wait for the trail that is closed to open back up to do this trip - put it off for a year?

And, does anyone know for sure if the trails is closed just for this year, partial or the entire year (Im sure based on how things progress), what is the projected completion date?

With bridge repairs being the challenge or issue, how big are these bridges in need of repair or possibly replacement?

Hey Stoney, I would still do Gaspie. That is a great trail but you have so much else to take in you won't know what your missing. I cant recall any bridge so my guess is they are small...ish, territory is remote and hilly. Likely more to the bridge story, ownership and who foots the bill my guess, I may find out more. If you need some tips/info I've been a few times.  Think we live near each other so we could tip back a few beers one day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stoney said:

So for those that have done the Gaspe trip, would it be best to wait for the trail that is closed to open back up to do this trip - put it off for a year?

I'm with Johnny B on going to Gaspe. Save the Murdockville to La Cache for your next trip because you will want to go back.  Below is a trip plotted by a QR contributor to accomodate the closure. The good parts about this is that you get to go both ways on the most scenic area which is the north shore and you miss the boring section  of the south shore. It gets all the good parts that will be available. It appears to start in Rimouski.

GASPE TRIP.png

• Like 1

Yes we are still going. The map PLC posted is our reroute. Likely turn 5 day trip into 6 day. 

From what l’ve read there is no chance it will open anytime this winter. That trail is very remote, the number of volunteers that live in that 100 km stretch would be very limited. Haven’t seen any pictures of the two bridges that have issues. Riding through there don’t recall any bridge of any significance. It’s mountainous, hills and valleys so lm sure there is many small creeks and streams with small bridges you really don’t notice because the area normally gets so much snow.

There still will be 1,500-1,800 km of beautiful riding to enjoy. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 6:02 PM, stoney said:

@Nunz just did a newb trip last year, maybe some info to share. 

We did New Brunswick Last season, We used https://www.ontsnow.com/ 

Best trip we have ever done, they looked after everything and what was about 700 bucks extra per person vs booking it on our own was money well spent.

We will book with them again. 

• Like 5

Towards the Reopening of the Trail Between La Cache and Murdochville in 2025?

It is clear that this decision was not made lightly but out of concern for the safety of all users.

It is expected that the situation will be rectified in preparation for the 2025 season, allowing us to once again enjoy this splendid trail.

In the meantime, it is advisable to make alternative arrangements for the upcoming season.

This is from Sledmagine.com

https://sledmagazine.com/category/news/regions-news-2/gaspesie-iles-de-la-madeleine-regions-news-2/

I seen on Facebook that the trail has been removed from the map for this season now as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh well , I did take the advice of the article . And made alternate arrangements .  One closed trail is not going to put a halt on the Pilgrimage to the Promise Land . Hope to see you there . 

• Like 5

I'm doing Gaspe for the 3rd time this winter...4 of us going this time (3 buddies from upstate NY, and yours truly.) Starting our ride on Feb 26 from Mont-Joli again this time...only an extra 30 minutes drive east of Rimouski, and avoids the less interesting open country from RDL. Doing a modified loop due to the Murdochville - to - La Cache trail closure (damn!!) But we'll get to do the entire length of 597, and the absolute best part of the north shore (between 595 & 597) both ways (yahoo!), and we're avoiding the much less interesting south shore altogether... won't go any farther west down there than Chandler. Taking 6 days to do about 1,500 kms, so we can really enjoy the spectacular scenery. BTW, one of our favourite hotel stops on the north shore is Hotel-Motel Grande-Vallee. Beautiful setting overlooking the harbour, and awesome cuisine...worth checking out.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

BTW, one of our favourite hotel stops on the north shore is Hotel-Motel Grande-Vallee. Beautiful setting overlooking the harbour, and awesome cuisine...worth checking out.

x2 on your hotel choice. Since the 4 of us discovered it we have been back twice and will continue to return if we get the chance. The food is awesome as is the nice lady that runs it. Your trip sounds awesome. Doing all the great stuff for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought we had the Gaspe ,New Brunswick itinerary nailed down . Turns  out the village we planned on staying in HAD 2 restaurants  / bar one closed down the other burnt down .  A few more calls to make .

• 4 months later...

This Gaspe trip thread is getting me excited for summer road trips! Planning a trip out east myself, and trying to figure out the best route.While soaking up all the tips on places to stay and things to see, it got me thinking about safety too. I always like to "forewarned is forearmed" before a trip, you know?