Trip update Timmins area

Gadgetman

Wet snow from Hearst for about 1.5hrs and then rain all the way to Timmins. Suggest you avoid C trail from Smooth Rock to A106C. No base, and unless they get a good storm it will very tough to recover from this rain.

Staying at Super 8, avoid both the Timmins area and Super 8. No snow base,   trails are dirt exposed in many areas. Super 8 no effort to clear the downed small trees on the back trail to the hotel. Had to  climb several small trees, and we know where the the trail is otherwise not marked. Good thing we brought Goats to help us navigate the path!

Everything bare pavement at Timmins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the update on trail conditions. 

54 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Wet snow from Hearst for about 1.5hrs and then rain all the way to Timmins. Suggest you avoid C trail from Smooth Rock to A106C. No base, and unless they get a good storm it will very tough to recover from this rain.

Staying at Super 8, avoid both the Timmins area and Super 8. No snow base,   trails are dirt exposed in many areas. Super 8 no effort to clear the downed small trees on the back trail to the hotel. Had to  climb several small trees, and we know where the the trail is otherwise not marked. Good thing we brought Goats to help us navigate the path!

Everything bare pavement at Timmins.

F@%K!

Crazy that even this area has no/little snow. What a winter. ☹️

Thanks for posting this!!! 

Well that’s not good! Supposed to be heading from New Liskerd to Timmins Saturday, staying at the Ramada. Do you think we need to change plans?

9 hours ago, snocrazy said:

Well that’s not good! Supposed to be heading from New Liskerd to Timmins Saturday, staying at the Ramada. Do you think we need to change plans?

Running from Timmins to Nl today, I'll let you know tonight. They have cold now but trails rutted and less than 1cm last night. I'd make a backup plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Running from Timmins to Nl today, I'll let you know tonight. They have cold now but trails rutted and less than 1cm last night. I'd make a backup plan. 

What about a back-up to the back-up? I am already on plan 3 for next week. If anyone knows where, in Ontario, the base has survived and new snow is faling or will fall before Tuesday, please share.

Kenora. Lol. All joking aside my parents were at Haliburton forest Monday and rode haliburton to Harcourt Tuesday.  Said things were great.  They did get rain and warm weather yesterday, but I suspect survived it.

4 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Slow and rutted trail (especially corners) out of Timmins to Cannaught. Had about 3cm of new snow. Base is frozen solid.

A trail south from Matheson is fair to ok to good. Some Corners rutted. Sitting in Ramore. 

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the real time trail reports. Good information will hopefully help make a good decision on where to sled next week.

8 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Slow and rutted trail (especially corners) out of Timmins to Cannaught. Had about 3cm of new snow. Base is frozen solid.

A trail south from Matheson is fair to ok to good. Some Corners rutted. Sitting in Ramore. 

Cheers 

Thanks for the update, hope the rest of the ride treats you well and looking forward to more updates 😀

• Like 1

We are heading to Sudbury next week for a few days, its been a couple of years since we were last.

Nunz, I hope the trails recover by then. A friend who lives in Azilda said they lost a ton of snow Tuesday and Wednesday, and also didn't get as much so last night as was forecast. Maybe Soup and other locals could comment. I assume the closing of the entire STP was preventative since it was done Tuesday PM when some trails were still good.

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Nunz, I hope the trails recover by then. A friend who lives in Azilda said they lost a ton of snow Tuesday and Wednesday, and also didn't get as much so last night as was forecast. Maybe Soup and other locals could comment. I assume the closing of the entire STP was preventative since it was done Tuesday PM when some trails were still good.

Thanks, I have been chatting with him, hoping for the best week, if not we will head further north.

sudbury trails are yellow now

• Like 1

Tough day. A trail from Matheson was ok to good. Trail Base is rock hard, throws you around but enough loose for cooling and sliders. Took 191 and 192, any road running is bare and brutal. Fields around Nl will struggle with any more warm weather. Waterfront parking lot bare and almost empty compared to snow covered and packed last sat and sun. The river from Waterfront north is BRUTAL, deep ruts from when it was soft, and had no snow unless to tried to sweep up onto the steep sides.

I wouldn't stage out of  NL without  new snow, especially for the river section, fields were passable, but any road or lots were bare.

I would not touch Timmins without 20cm of new snow, my opinion folks. 

• Thanks 5

If its worth the drive to Cochrane, then IMO, its worth driving right on past to Kap. Everybody and his brother is going to be trying to get to Cochrane next week. It will be a zoo. Kap to Geraldton and back is looking good, using as many local loop trails as possible along the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

Tough day. A trail from Marheson was ok to good. Base is rock hard, throws you around but enough loose for cooling and sliders. Took 191 and 192, all road running is bare and brutal. Fields around Nl will struggle with any more warm weather. Waterfront parking lot bare and almost empty compared to snow covered and packed last sat and sun. The river from hotel north is BRUTAL. 

I wouldn't stage out of  NL without  new snow.

I would not touch Timmins without 20cm of new snow.just my opinion folks. 

That sounds like a rough one.. I can’t thank you enough for the details though, our plans have changed. We were able to squeeze in a reservation to drop in Kirkland Lake and are riding to Kap instead for the weekend. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MotoEh said:

Nunz, we are booked for Sudbury next week too but from what I've seen around FB it's not going to happen. Hoping Cochrane is worth the drive ? 

It's snowing here now and all groomers are out breaking up the hardpack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tricky said:

If its worth the drive to Cochrane, then IMO, its worth driving right on past to Kap. Everybody and his brother is going to be trying to get to Cochrane next week. It will be a zoo. Kap to Geraldton and back is looking good, using as many local loop trails as possible along the way.

Save the gas money in the truck and go to Temiskaming instead. Much better trails there.

• Like 2