Motel 6 Starts Construction Spring 2023 in Hornpayne

Gadgetman

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your local support. It's great to hear from members from other regions.

A Motel 6 is slated to start construction in the spring in hopes of being open for the 2024 season. Hopefully then, we can choose to stay locally and enjoy the local loops and touch base.

Happy Trails.

Denis - President Hornepayne Snowbears

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting this information. It will be great to have a Motel in Hornepayne, and somewhere else to stay when Relais Magpie Relay in dubreuiville is booked up. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

Thanks for posting this information. It will be great to have a Motel in Hornepayne, and somewhere else to stay when Relais Magpie Relay in dubreuiville is booked up. 

Agree. Hopefully, a restaurant will also open close by. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.3550b808356e517e4a69ef9dce31aedc.png

Looks like thought to assist snowmobile riders and their gear being included.

• Like 1

Great news! One of my favorite communities ( dad worked there as an immigrant to Canada from Ukraine,  1950s ). Yoots and I  stayed in various local places over the years...all now closed. This is fantastic for the community. 

15 hours ago, Canuck said:

Great news! One of my favorite communities ( dad worked there as an immigrant to Canada from Ukraine,  1950s ). Yoots and I  stayed in various local places over the years...all now closed. This is fantastic for the community. 

Yes be a great option to have. Sometimes dub is too far. 

• 6 months later...

Reached out to Dennis at the Hornepayne club on the build progress of the new Studio 6 Hotel. He reported that ground isn't yet broken, therefore at this point winter 2025 is the earliest it may be ready. 

On 8/17/2023 at 11:21 PM, Gadgetman said:

Reached out to Dennis at the Hornepayne club on the build progress of the new Studio 6 Hotel. He reported that ground isn't yet broken, therefore at this point winter 2025 is the earliest it may be ready. 

Doesn’t surprise me. Hopefully they still build it 🙏

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Without sounding too negative, my gut tells me this Hotel isnt going to happen unless the mine guarantees them a certain $ amount of business per year.   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 2:39 PM, scottyr said:

Without sounding too negative, my gut tells me this Hotel isnt going to happen unless the mine guarantees them a certain $ amount of business per year.   

Club shared a picture of heavy equipment on site this week starting construction.  While I am not sure about the mine I believe both the mill (whose owner is also an investor in the project) and CN have provided some sort of room purchase guarantees.  Won't be done for this season but good to see work starting.  

• Like 10

IMG_2676.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 7:57 AM, matt17 said:

Club shared a picture of heavy equipment on site this week starting construction.  While I am not sure about the mine I believe both the mill (whose owner is also an investor in the project) and CN have provided some sort of room purchase guarantees.  Won't be done for this season but good to see work starting.  

That’s the only way that this motel has any chance of surviving.    Unfortunately it also means that the average sledder will have a slim to zero chance of getting a room there as it will be booked solid with workers year round.  

Try to get a room at The Magpie and you will know what I mean.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 8:55 AM, scottyr said:

That’s the only way that this motel has any chance of surviving.    Unfortunately it also means that the average sledder will have a slim to zero chance of getting a room there as it will be booked solid with workers year round.  

Try to get a room at The Magpie and you will know what I mean.   

Funny thing is sledders carried magpie for awhile then they booked up with mine and I think lumber mill has started back up too. Now only a few maybe 4 or so rooms left for sledders. 

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Funny thing is sledders carried magpie for awhile then they booked up with mine and I think lumber mill has started back up too. Now only a few maybe 4 or so rooms left for sledders. 

Know your role, stay in your lane. maybe ask people that know, before spewing your crap. No the mill did not open again, and it has been almost fully dismantled. Unless someone builds a complete new mill, there will be no milling operations in Dubreuilville. The rail line is closed too so, unless you truck 100% of the lumber, you cant move the lumber from town, at this time. There are rooms available at the magpie now, the mine have built several lodging complexes, for the contractors, and mine people. You truly are the definition of Fake News. Ski 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Fake News haven't heard that term in awhile eh . Lets Make D, Ville Great Again eh . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As SDB's property value soars. :smil9:

On 10/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, skidooboy said:

Know your role, stay in your lane. maybe ask people that know, before spewing your crap. No the mill did not open again, and it has been almost fully dismantled. Unless someone builds a complete new mill, there will be no milling operations in Dubreuilville. The rail line is closed too so, unless you truck 100% of the lumber, you cant move the lumber from town, at this time. There are rooms available at the magpie now, the mine have built several lodging complexes, for the contractors, and mine people. You truly are the definition of Fake News. Ski 

boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Rail Line Closed"

Is this just a spur line going to town?

Shirley the main line going to Hearst is till open?

I didn't know that Dubre ever loaded on the rail.

2 hours ago, Ox said:

"Rail Line Closed"

Is this just a spur line going to town?

Shirley the main line going to Hearst is till open?

I didn't know that Dubre ever loaded on the rail.

CP/CN freight rails are open, not sure they run to hearst from us. The ACR from Algoma Canyon north, is no longer viable. Many trestles, are unsafe for train traffic. A few locals are running the acr from dub, to points north and south. There is/was a spur in the mill yard, not sure if that hooked to the acr, or cp/cn. Ski

From the Googles, CP runs from Thunder Bay (and further west) to Sudbury, (and further east) but, does not come through Dub proper. CN runs from Winnipeg, to Sudbury but, never gets closer than Hornepayne (Oba) to us. with a possible section from Oba, to Hearst. Ski 

And now after thinking about it. The spur in the mill yard hooks to the ACR, that goes out to Franz Station just northeast of town. There is a junction/crossing at the CP rail, at Franz. They took that cross/switch out last year. Ski

Yeah, I've got all of those TOPO's.

I'd just need to dig'm out... They're pretty close...

So, the train to Hearst three days/week, and back to The Soo on the other three is done?

I know that they have been threat'nin' to close it down to just freight only for some time, so it surprises me that they went from passenger to nothing.

I git the tressel thing tho, but ... I'm not sure that there are much for tressels N of Agawa?

There is the big one crossing over 556 to Searchmont.

And then another - maybe not quite as big at the upper Montreal dam.

Just not sure what would be between there and Millwood?

I've been wanting to run that, but never have ... yet.

I believe, the only thing that runs is, the Algoma Train Tour, not sure they do it in the winter as the "snow train" any longer. I know they do leaf watching tours in the fall. But, they only go to the canyon near Montreal river area and turn back to the soo. To answer your question, the ACR has been closed and opened and closed, and no, they do not go to hearst with passengers from the soo area now. They are in the process of "dismantling it". There are a lot of bridges north of the canyon. The one that seems to be the nail in the coffin, is all the tracks running in, and by Oba lake (their is a pier like system on the east side of the lake, running quite a bit of the waters length. From what I gather, before the final closure, the bridge/pilon's on Oba Lake and the creek/river north of Oba Lake, were in a dangerous state of repair for freight, and they had to significantly slow the trains down to cross there.  

All the people that had camp access via the acr from the soo north, have no access, via the railway now. Due to the limited access now, the MNR actually just this year, stated people that owned camps on Oba Lake, and their immediate family, could access the lake if possible via the road (simpson) which was a big no, no, due to the MNR protecting the remote tourism outfitters, operations. 

times they are a changing. Ski

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

I'm in. Let's make a plan. Garage meeting time 

Garage meeting is long over doo , not sure l remember the secret pass word to get in . 

• Haha 1