Annual Valtag sticker exemption?

30 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

It did for me... I renewed the vehicle tags which expired in August on schedule at Service Ontario in Midland... I didn't have the sled ownership or licence number with me at the time so I renewed the sled tag online in early November... had it in the mail in under a week. For $15 I'm not going to have to concern myself with the officer choosing to issue a ticket or not. Then there comes the question... insurance. I believe to have your policy valid there is a clause in there that says the sled must be licensed and in compliance with the laws. If I were in an accident I wouldn't want to take a chance on whether the insurance company would use that as an escape clause for their liability.

The insurance companies don't write the laws..  and currently Ontario indicates your tags are still valid..they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Then there comes the question... insurance. I believe to have your policy valid there is a clause in there that says the sled must be licensed and in compliance with the laws. If I were in an accident I wouldn't want to take a chance on whether the insurance company would use that as an escape clause for their liability.

I think that might be a stretch....

3 hours ago, slomo said:

Drove to Mactier because I like to support the local business, made a mistake thinking wife's car was over due, still had a year on it, updated sled to 2023 because sure as sh*t there will be sledding in March and my valtag would be expired.

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS - PULL OUT YOUR WALLET AND MAKE SURE YOUR O.H.I.P. CARD HAS NOT EXPIRED!! You will need it for your covid vaccine shots.

Not according to the following  Slomo, taken from https://www.ontario.ca/page/health-card-renewal  just now:

Service changes due to COVID-19 (coronavirus)

You may not need to renew your health card at this time.

Health cards have an extended expiry date until further notice. We will notify you when you need to renew.

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

I agree that it might be a stretch but I don’t need the stress or anxiety of having a roadside/trailside argument/discussion with a LEO or a court discussion with a judge or my insurance company. Do it right and kill the chance of it happening. I believe the word is “proactive”. I might be attempting retirement but I won’t afford time for that crap. 

14 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

I agree that it might be a stretch but I don’t need the stress or anxiety of having a roadside/trailside argument/discussion with a LEO or a court discussion with a judge or my insurance company. Do it right and kill the chance of it happening. I believe the word is “proactive”. I might be attempting retirement but I won’t afford time for that crap. 

Parry Sound Service Ontario is usually in and out in 5 minutes and they are polite.I can go there faster than online.

You should know the saying."Since retirement I have been so busy I don't know how I ever had time to go to work."

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It did for me... I renewed the vehicle tags which expired in August on schedule at Service Ontario in Midland... I didn't have the sled ownership or licence number with me at the time so I renewed the sled tag online in early November... had it in the mail in under a week. For $15 I'm not going to have to concern myself with the officer choosing to issue a ticket or not. Then there comes the question... insurance. I believe to have your policy valid there is a clause in there that says the sled must be licensed and in compliance with the laws. If I were in an accident I wouldn't want to take a chance on whether the insurance company would use that as an escape clause for their liability.

I can't speak for your sled insurance policy 02 but I just read all of both the TD Policy renewal from Oct.'20 that I cancelled and my new policy from a local Mutual Insurance company and could not find anything relating to your highlighted statement above in either policy.

11 hours ago, gtserider said:

Parry Sound Service Ontario is usually in and out in 5 minutes and they are polite.I can go there faster than online.

You should know the saying."Since retirement I have been so busy I don't know how I ever had time to go to work."

That office is far better than the office I was previously supposed to deal with. Always has been. 

Busy in retirement is one thing but my health has also got me slowed down to frustration. What I used to do in an hour now takes me all day to do. 

13 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Not according to the following  Slomo, taken from https://www.ontario.ca/page/health-card-renewal  just now:

Service changes due to COVID-19 (coronavirus)

You may not need to renew your health card at this time.

Health cards have an extended expiry date until further notice. We will notify you when you need to renew.

OK if yours expired after March 1, 2020. At ms. slomo's family clinic, still old guys wandering in for their "every four years" check up (fits this forum demographic n'est pas?) and cards expired years ago. Best get things squared away once the over 70's get their vaccinations and the province tries to decide which group is next in line. ...not to say you would be refused, but same as having valid vehicle registration ...why hazard the hassle ? The region in which your card is registered may make some difference in your initial accessibility to the vaccination as more populated areas will probably have priority.

22 hours ago, Johnny (Deanlea beach) said:

Unless things have changed I tried, but since the stickers have already lapsed and are over due, the online nor kiosk feature does not allow renewal of overdue permits. 

My stickers expired in August & I renewed online just after Christmas

21 hours ago, paulslund said:

The insurance companies don't write the laws..  and currently Ontario indicates your tags are still valid..they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

21 hours ago, scottyr said:

For the sake of $15 and less than 5 minutes online I prefer not to get into a debate with the OPP trailside or possibly find the need to go to court to object.

17 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I can't speak for your sled insurance policy 02 but I just read all of both the TD Policy renewal from Oct.'20 that I cancelled and my new policy from a local Mutual Insurance company and could not find anything relating to your highlighted statement above in either policy.

Insurance will typically try to find a way to not pay. I suspect it could be an argument they may put forward. Similar to you not being covered in your vehicle if you are traveling on a road the police have closed or you not being covered if the driver doesn't have a valid drivers licence.

Just did my truck and 1 sled today.

Easy peasy, in and out of service Ontario

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, stoney said:

Up to you to decide, but if you can do it online, why not just do it to avoid dealing with the hassles.

There were reports earlier that people were getting flack & tickets from officers for not having valid stickers, which means you need to deal with it in the courts, etc.....so why put  yourself through that.

There should not be a hassle unless the cop is a moron.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, zoso said:

There should not be a hassle unless the cop is a moron.

So you or others are willing to take the chance that you might not run into one that is, knowing how easy renewing can be be done now a days, all because a piece of paper did not come in the mail :wtf:

They come in all shapes, sizes and walks of life....just never know when you might bump into one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

So you or others are willing to take the chance that you might not run into one that is, knowing how easy renewing can be be done now a days, all because a piece of paper did not come in the mail :wtf:

They come in all shapes, sizes and walks of life....just never know when you might bump into one.

I renewed, but it would make the news if I did not and got a ticket. The courts will not even hear these cases, it gets tossed with a call to the crown and the cop  gets in crap. It has already happened when this first started last March. Pretty sure all cops are now used to it and not so stupid as to write one.

• Like 1

I was pulled over this weekend in sprucedale area by opp in the trail.  I ha e an expired val tag as well.  I explained that I was unable to purchase yet because of covid and I will try getting online.  I had all my other document,  and office told me no problem, just get it soon and let us on our way.   My sticker expired in December 2020.

On 1/6/2021 at 10:49 AM, stoney said:

Sorry, but I also find it funny that we need a piece of paper to remind us to renew.... what are 16... lol :)

Ya, to bad the renewal date didn,t coincide with something simple to remember like your birthday. Who reminds these folks to wipe their butts after using the can ? Lots of stupid being blamed on covid, but I,m kinda starting to wonder if other factors are in play.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Ya, to bad the renewal date didn,t coincide with something simple to remember like your birthday. Who reminds these folks to wipe their butts after using the can ? Lots of stupid being blamed on covid, but I,m kinda starting to wonder if other factors are in play.  

:icon_that::icon_ditto::icon_goodpost:

42 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

26 minutes ago, Dave K said:

:icon_that::icon_ditto::icon_goodpost:

x2....there is lots at play with so much that has created a very sad state of affairs.

I try not to think too much about it, but at times, it is hard and frustrates the hell out of me, I cannot believe how people are approaching this and what is going on, it is nuts.

But than again those on the flip side will say the same about my outlook or those with similar ones.....which one is lesser of two evils though.....:poke2:.....:icon_gunhead:....

1 hour ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

I must be a genius... I even remember my wife's birthday to renew the tag for her vehicle. I am also wise enough to remember our anniversary and nobody sends me reminders for either of those events.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I must be a genius... I even remember my wife's birthday to renew the tag for her vehicle. I am also wise enough to remember our anniversary and nobody sends me reminders for either of those events.  

02sled.....don't forget February 14.......the anniversary of the passing away of your wife's horse.  STG's birthday too come to think of it...what should I get him this year....:unsure:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, slomo said:

02sled.....don't forget February 14.......the anniversary of the passing away of your wife's horse.  STG's birthday too come to think of it...what should I get him this year....:unsure:

yeah... I have all kinds of dates I have to remember... I almost forgot our dogs birthday... that was a near miss

• Like 1
  • Haha 1