That's a way it should be?

andreyboater

Just got my new sled skidoo touring 1200se  and was really surprised to find latex glove in air intake. I just finished my 1200km trip and I'm lucky guy what this glove didn't get in and stuck somewhere.

20180219_123859.jpg

Yes I've got sled just day before our annual trip, so I even have no time to put spare belt in place, so I opened side cover when we comeback and got this surprise. :blink:

I can sort of understand that if the tech didnt see it, putting gloves down and losing one happens all the time and its even easier with a cheap nitrile throw away. Probably didnt think twice and didnt see it or didnt care. If it was a "#$%* it im out" or the tech was out back burning one before EOD and "totally gapped" where his glove went type thing this wont be the only issue they have and a pattern of cobbly work will trail that shop. Be sure to bring it to the owners attention and not the tech and remember even the best of us still make dumb mistakes

12 minutes ago, crispy said:

I can sort of understand that if the tech didnt see it, putting gloves down and losing one happens all the time and its even easier with a cheap nitrile throw away. Probably didnt think twice and didnt see it or didnt care. If it was a "#$%* it im out" or the tech was out back burning one before EOD and "totally gapped" where his glove went type thing this wont be the only issue they have and a pattern of cobbly work will trail that shop. Be sure to bring it to the owners attention and not the tech and remember even the best of us still make dumb mistakes

Not to mention the clamp not being put on the upper pipe connection to the airbox. No excuse for that. If it was a factory issue, it would have been very difficult to miss on the PDI     IF   the side cover even got taken off for inspection during PDI.  

One more reason to check the sled over when you get it and especially before a trip.

I think they put glove on intake to prevent foreign object accidentally fall inside, and they remove it when install a hood. In my case clamp wasn't tight, it means they put hood on and didn't tight a clamp, so didn't see a glove...

Regarding PDI it's different subject...     

9 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

I think they put glove on intake to prevent foreign object accidentally fall inside, and they remove it when install a hood. In my case clamp wasn't tight, it means they put hood on and didn't tight a clamp, so didn't see a glove...

Regarding PDI it's different subject...     

If the factory needed to have protection on that end of the intake tube, I do not believe that they would use a glove for the job. I'm pretty sure that tube would be secured with the clamp on the assembly line before the hood and side panels were installed. Maybe the dealer "borrowed" parts off this sled when it was in inventory to get another customer going and they didn't get replaced properly. Very poor workmanship no matter who did it IMHO.

I saw the other half of the pair on the railbed south of Bancroft Sat'.

43 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Not to mention the clamp not being put on the upper pipe connection to the airbox. No excuse for that. If it was a factory issue, it would have been very difficult to miss on the PDI     IF   the side cover even got taken off for inspection during PDI.  

One more reason to check the sled over when you get it and especially before a trip.

To PDI this sled, you have to remove the upper body module, side panels, belt guard, and detach the muffler from the header pipe in order to get the shock bolts in place.  Clearly some dumb f*$& didn't do their job right.  Brainfarts can happen anywhere, anytime.  We had an Expedition LE that we PDI'd last year, that came in last week ... the upper shock bolt wasn't through the shock, the top of the shock was jammed between the bolt and the upper frame support.  Lucky the shock didn't jump out of there and swing outwards, could have been a "moment" for the driver.

Couple of weeks ago we had an 850 MXz (tourist from Southern Ontario) that the shock bolt was sitting next to the chaincase .. no nut to be found ... fuel tank incorrectly installed ... loose airbox clamp ... etc etc etc ...   Some people just have no pride.

15 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

To PDI this sled, you have to remove the upper body module, side panels, belt guard, and detach the muffler from the header pipe in order to get the shock bolts in place.  Clearly some dumb f*$& didn't do their job right.  Brainfarts can happen anywhere, anytime.  We had an Expedition LE that we PDI'd last year, that came in last week ... the upper shock bolt wasn't through the shock, the top of the shock was jammed between the bolt and the upper frame support.  Lucky the shock didn't jump out of there and swing outwards, could have been a "moment" for the driver.

Couple of weeks ago we had an 850 MXz (tourist from Southern Ontario) that the shock bolt was sitting next to the chaincase .. no nut to be found ... fuel tank incorrectly installed ... loose airbox clamp ... etc etc etc ...   Some people just have no pride.

Denis, you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.

I've been dealerships (all segments) in Canada & the US. Some looked like the owners, staff took pride in the place. Others looked like they were on Route 66 after I-40 was built, building looked like it was built in the 40s & hadn't been cleaned up since the 60s. Junk everywhere & no showroom to speak of.

I remember going to Bell's (a Poo dealer north of Whitby) years ago. Basically had to walk thru a barnyard to get to the 'office/showroom'.

9 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I've been dealerships (all segments) in Canada & the US. Some looked like the owners, staff took pride in the place. Others looked like they were on Route 66 after I-40 was built, building looked like it was built in the 40s & hadn't been cleaned up since the 60s. Junk everywhere & no showroom to speak of.

I remember going to Bell's (a Poo dealer north of Whitby) years ago. Basically had to walk thru a barnyard to get to the 'office/showroom'.

For me the way a business looks out front and in the back shop speaks volumes about the people there. It doesn't have to be nor do I expect it to be pristine by any stretch of the imagination. Organized is more of what I look for. If it's a cluttered mess with old parts lying all over, tools scattered everywhere rather than in the tool chest etc. is a place I am not as confident in as one that is "organized". Sloppy work space MAY equate to sloppy work as well.

My brother did small engine repairs for 40 years. At the end of the day all the tools were back in the tool chest in the correct spots. The floor was clean and if there was oil or something that posed a hazard on the floor, it got cleaned up when it happened.

This is why I try to do my own work.

Had warranty work done years ago and had the pull starter housing crack off on my next trip.  Only one screw holding it because they didn't take the time to pull the muffler out to reach.  Probably got ahead of themselves and just halfway tried to put it back.

Wish I could trust and pay to have it done right. 

9 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

For me the way a business looks out front and in the back shop speaks volumes about the people there. It doesn't have to be nor do I expect it to be pristine by any stretch of the imagination. Organized is more of what I look for. If it's a cluttered mess with old parts lying all over, tools scattered everywhere rather than in the tool chest etc. is a place I am not as confident in as one that is "organized". Sloppy work space MAY equate to sloppy work as well.

My brother did small engine repairs for 40 years. At the end of the day all the tools were back in the tool chest in the correct spots. The floor was clean and if there was oil or something that posed a hazard on the floor, it got cleaned up when it happened.

^ What he said.

Tools always put away @ the end of the shift. 

Is there any trace of blood? Got to thinking maybe the dude got pjnched, hurt a little and had a "throw the tools across the shop floor moment" hence no tighten the clamp? Then quickly covered in all back up and moved on searching for inner peace

Kumbayaaaaa

No, it's look like that glove was placed on intake with a purpose. 

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

I don't think the barnyard/showroom was even heated.Charlie was a nice guy ,better than going down the road to Horsts.

10 minutes ago, gtserider said:

I don't think the barnyard/showroom was even heated.Charlie was a nice guy ,better than going down the road to Horsts.

I dont think Ive ever heard anyone say anything nice about Horst LOL

Was he still involved w/ the business in '85? I don't recall seeing him around when I bought my MX.

Part of the problem is look at the shop rate... Then ask what the mechanic makes.... I will go on record that most mechanics can't afford these big $$$ sleds they are working on. And the PDI crew might just be kids that work part time.

When I worked at a dealership we would PDI 4 sleds at a time. Doing one step to all 4 and then move on to the next step

Always do your Post Delivery Inspecton !

So I took out a hood to remove that freaky glove and no doubt they put it on to prevent falling anything in air intake and forgot to remove it:blink:

Resized_20180225_135015.jpeg

Resized_20180225_134937.jpeg

Resized_20180225_134953.jpeg

22 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

So I took out a hood to remove that freaky glove and no doubt they put it on to prevent falling anything in air intake and forgot to remove it:blink:

Be thankful it wasn't a condom. At least it never ruined your trip and maybe you should find a different dealer for service work. My pdi went sour too on one unit, now I buy from a dealer I trust and don't shop around based solely on price anymore. 

43 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Be thankful it wasn't a condom. At least it never ruined your trip and maybe you should find a different dealer for service work. My pdi went sour too on one unit, now I buy from a dealer I trust and don't shop around based solely on price anymore. 

People will drive 200 miles to save a few hundred bucks on a new sled & then wonder why it doesn't get preferential treatment when in for service @ their nearest dealer.

Archived