First Green of the season

matt17

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only problem is that when you click on the trail (L103) the dialogue box comes top and says the trail is unavailable.

ITG Screen shot.jpeg

Matt, you must be bummed ... I know you wanted to be first ... 

Pete, just copy the screenshot to your phone and leave it as your background with no icons on it ... then go run the snot out of that trail.  If you get pulled over, show them the screenshot .... :evil2:

"Here goes":rolleyes:

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Wow! Great start.

Really?  last year barrie and midland and other area's were open second week of December. Good given warm fall weather though. 

By the way the guide now shows that trail as closed? What's up with that? 

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Pete, just copy the screenshot to your phone and leave it as your background with no icons on it ... then go run the snot out of that trail.  If you get pulled over, show them the screenshot .... :evil2:

I am ok to let Kenny and the crew have it. We really are not a destination or set up to be one currently (no hotels) and not many locals trail ride (Although I bet Denis would be making the trip over).  Although with the current whiteout outside(and it isn't even windy) there should start being some more colour on the map by next week (and I don't mean red).  

4 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Really?  last year barrie and midland and other area's were open second week of December. Good given warm fall weather though. 

By the way the guide now shows that trail as closed? What's up with that? 

Weren't you the guy that said a few days ago that everything is 3 weeks late this year. You better get a new phone cause it still shows green/yellow on my laptop.

4 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Really?  last year barrie and midland and other area's were open second week of December.

Better check your football. :D

I do agree that some Central Ontario rail beds, including Orillia to Midland, opened up earlier than normal last year - - but not quite as early as the second week of December.

I believe the first OFSC trail open last year was the top of D, at Marathon, last December 10. Then on December 15th the main rail bed from Lindsay to Kinmount went green.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16888-who-will-have-the-first-open-trails-in-each-district/

6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

The ITG is not to be used as an indication of trails being open or closed. It clearly states this on the disclaimer you see at the start. According to the ofsc, the only way to know a trail is open is if you do not see a trail closed sign it is open....or is it, who knows....crazy.

26 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Better check your football. :D

I do agree that some Central Ontario rail beds, including Orillia to Midland, opened up earlier than normal last year - - but not quite as early as the second week of December.

I believe the first OFSC trail open last year was the top of D, at Marathon, last December 10. Then on December 15th the main rail bed from Lindsay to Kinmount went green.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16888-who-will-have-the-first-open-trails-in-each-district/

All I know was a good chunk of d9 and d5 was open Around December 19 and closed 24th when mild weather came in and most of there trails never re opened afterwords, either. 

24 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

All I know was a good chunk of d9 and d5 was open Around December 19 and closed 24th when mild weather came in and most of there trails never re opened afterwords, either. 

I still haven't sledded in those districts. Hopefully this year!!

Right on!

2 hours ago, zoso said:

The ITG is not to be used as an indication of trails being open or closed. It clearly states this on the disclaimer you see at the start. According to the ofsc, the only way to know a trail is open is if you do not see a trail closed sign it is open....or is it, who knows....crazy.

That is exactly opposite to what the District 5 Governor told us at a Signage and Risk Management meeting on November 25th. He stated that their was no need for us to put up Trail closed signs as the OFSC was taking the position that the ITG was what would indicate if trails were available or not this year. Our club trail coordinator commented to me at the time that he was good with that since it would mean a lot less driving for him (due to trail status changes often happening a number of times a season down here.)

2 hours ago, zoso said:

Huh?

The online Interactive Trail Guide (ITG) available at www.ofsc.on.ca is the sole source of Trail Availability status information. The Trail Status information posted here is for general information only and does not necessarily reflect the Trail Status at the time of your ride or the actual local trail conditions you may encounter. The Trail Availability Status is gathered from club volunteers and is valid only at the time of their observation. Their observations may not meet your expectations and the Trail Status may vary from the time of posting. The Trail Status may vary throughout the day due to changing conditions such as temperature, snow quality, type of terrain and usage.

Snowmobiling is an off-road experience in a non-engineered wilderness environment. As snowmobiling occurs in an unpredictable and uncontrollable natural setting, there are inherent risks which demand constant rider preparedness, vigilance, caution, unimpaired reaction and smart choice. Legislated speed limits represent the maximum permitted speed and not a recommended rate of travel. Operators must exercise caution at all times, be prepared for the unexpected and only travel at a speed which ensures their safety and that of passengers based on their personal assessment of many factors including: terrain, trail familiarity, trail width, snowmobile equipment, personal attires, cognitive skills, experience, weather, visibility, traffic and grooming. In many instances, operators will choose a speed which is substantially lower than the maximum legislated limit.

Trail signs are posted by volunteers for your convenience for situations where there is an expectation that a safe, prudent and legal operator would un-expectantly be required to take evasive action such as heavy braking or steering. Operators should familiarize themselves with snowmobile trail signs as they are not the same as the signs associated with engineered roadways. As signs are installed as a courtesy, there isn't any guarantee that they will be there at any given time due to wind, rain, storms or vandalism.

This Interactive Trail Guide is intended only as a reference. The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs accepts no responsibility or liability for any discrepancies, inaccuracies, errors or omissions which may occur, for actual trail conditions encountered on any trails shown on this trail guide, or for any resulting loss or damage.

Not the way I interpret the above

11 hours ago, Denis007 said:

That's funny right there!!!!!!

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Sole source, but may or may not be accurate. Seems to be a wee bit convoluted. However, being a lawyer wrote it......

Actually since we (65 volunteers) were told the same by the District 5 Governor,  I would bet money on it's accuracy. 

My son just texted me to say that they are grooming east of Owen Sound.

Hummm time for a super burger and a ride. 

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

My son just texted me to say that they are grooming east of Owen Sound.

It was just on the Barrie news that D8 MOST has I think they said 5 groomers out packing and hope to have some trails open by the end of the week. I believe they mentioned Wasaga, Midland, Penetang areas and somewhere else.

They also told people to stay off the trails since they aren't yet open.

We got more green on map

Screenshot_20171214-133121.png

Archived