Who's going to the Toronto Snowmobile/ATV Show?

SuperG

11 hours ago, Blake G said:

Had an enjoyable afternoon at the show with my daughter, Emily.

Spoke briefly with STG, irREVerent and Mrs. irREVerent, Livin', Wildbill. The aisles weren't too crowded, so some of us knelt for a brief moment of prayer. I asked for Polaris to work on a four-stroke sled engine.

Missed out on any other OC'ers unfortunately.

Had a good chat with Paul McNichol about his Triton trailers. Looking really nice, aren't they?

Nice to see you, Blake...sorry I didn't join you in that Polaris prayer...LOL.  Didn't you go back and make that deal with Paul on the Triton trailer???

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably would have recognized a lot more people at the sled show had they been wearing helmets and sled suits.

Just to get everyone really into the mood there were some light snow flurries this morning north of the 407

2 hours ago, irREVerent said:

Didn't you go back and make that deal with Paul on the Triton trailer???

We're still working on it.

On 10/20/2016 at 3:26 PM, livin' on the b103 said:

I'll be there on Friday from opening until early evening. Will be at the D6 booth handing out the 2017 HCSA Trail Guide!! They will of course be available all weekend from all the other volunteers working the D6 booth. Hope to see some of you on Friday.

Livin'

probably grabbed one from you! Looking forward to your trail reports this year.... Thanks for all you do!

Is it me or do some of you others agree that the show is going downhill a bit. IMO I think the show has got a little worse the last few years. There doesn't seem to be near the vendors as in the past and good deals are few compared to a few years back. I find the Peterborough show ( sledderama )  more to my liking. I always seem to find what I'm looking for and I like the swap meet. Hope I haven't offended anyone as not my intention but it's just my observation.

Cheers

Have a great season

13 minutes ago, kimrr said:

Is it me or do some of you others agree that the show is going downhill a bit. IMO I think the show has got a little worse the last few years. There doesn't seem to be near the vendors as in the past and good deals are few compared to a few years back. I find the Peterborough show ( sledderama )  more to my liking. I always seem to find what I'm looking for and I like the swap meet. Hope I haven't offended anyone as not my intention but it's just my observation.

Cheers

Have a great season

The number of booths with scantily clad young female reps. on Friday was definitely way down from past years. While some booths offered great discounts, the items discounted seemed limited to me.

On 10/21/2016 at 5:41 PM, 02Sled said:

I came I saw.... bring on the snow.

I saw 3 loads on 'doos westbound on the 401, so sledding season must be approaching.

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

Were back from the show... Woooweee, that was a expensive day....Yikes!!..

Ok.  So what was so expensive. You can't buy new toys, dangle the hook suggesting you did and not say on what 

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

Were back from the show... Woooweee, that was a expensive day....Yikes!!..

OK, so doo tell...what did you buy?

On 21/10/2016 at 5:41 PM, 02Sled said:

Just got back from the show. Saw a few people from the forum.... Sledjunk, Livin, Viper, SuperG, WildBill, 2bsledding and a few others as well as bumped into a guy I used to work with and had no idea that he was a sledder. Didn't see Canuck and usually he's hard to miss.

Got all the maps except for D10 which didn't have any available... they were on their way from the printer. I should get a partial refund on my entrance fee :D

Picked up wind deflectors for the two sleds and a new much larger tunnel bag. The ones that came with the sled were full once you put in a belt and a map. I like to carry some tools, fuses, tow rope, booster cables and a number of maps that I can give to people who don't have one.

I looked at a plastic gizmo that clamps onto your handgrip and thumb throttle allowing you to operate the throttle from a pistol grip at the end of a cable while you pull on the skis when you're stuck. Neat idea but not for $100.

Amzoil was a let down.... two old guys there instead of the usual girls but the Hooters booth made up for it.

Also heard about two major washouts on the P2P trail. One is about 30 ft deep and 40 ft wide. I think this is the one near Orrville which will create some painful road running unless it is fixed. They have a go fund me but the best way to donate is to go to the P2P website and donate since go fund me takes about 5% plus the credit card charge.

I came I saw.... bring on the snow.

Yes it was definitely a pleasure to finally meet you as well as OntarioF7, great to see sledjunk,viper, and volunteer2 again. Now bring on the snow!

I found the show to be the same as last year almost. It does seem to be going downhill a bit to me. As for slederama being better i dont know as i never went and wont be able to this year. On the bright side I priced out my sled that i want and from the dealership i wanted to deal with that was at the show, two bonuses, I got the best price on it so far as well as its one of the closest brp dealers to me. (northland rec). Their service I know is among the best ive dealt with for my sea doo and ive heard great things the same with sled service. The guy i dealt with was knowledgeable, friendly, and took the time to go over everything with me. A few weeks ago i priced the same sled out at st onge and the guy i dealt with seemed to be an arrogant prick! he didn't care about making the sale or not as he stated to me hes a volume salesman and therefore was giving me his best price. He was not knowledgeable nor friendly at all! This rep from NR beat st onge price by over 600$ and offered me 20% off all accessories. I would highly recommend Northland rec to anybody.    

Congrats!

On 10/21/2016 at 11:30 PM, waitin4sno said:

I do have a question regarding most of the 2017 maps - why did they not include the district number on the front? Note to 02Sled:  I have a spare District 10 map if you want it. They were one of the maps to include the district on the front.

I was wondering the same thing. I had the little card for maps, but no pen (didn't see them at the Wawa Motor Inn booth until after). I was keeping track on my phone. Had to spend a few minutes @ a table near the Royal section sorting out the maps & yes you have to sort thru the maps to figure out MOST & SOSTBA (or whatever thy're called.

Was at show Friday when it opened. 

Didn't know Club Cadet made side by sides. Show seemed a touch bigger this year. 

Got all my maps and usual crap.

Hope to get trailer out of storage next weekend.

No word from dealer when new sled will be ready.

Even with the mid windshield i ordered i realized at the show i will likely need plastic hand guards or those handlebar muffs to keep the wind off my paws... lol

Leaving in 1/2 hours to see the show and some great OSC folks.  I will be wearing a black Sledcore shirt and the hubby will be wearing his Grey Ontario Conditions shirt (which I will get mine from NUNZ once I see him at lunch)  If you see us please say hi and introduce yourself.

On 10/21/2016 at 5:41 PM, 02Sled said:

I looked at a plastic gizmo that clamps onto your handgrip and thumb throttle allowing you to operate the throttle from a pistol grip at the end of a cable while you pull on the skis when you're stuck. Neat idea but not for $100.

I thought this gadget with a longer cable and a different throttle anchor would be more useful in a car or truck when you are trying to rev the engine while you are under the hood to diagnose some noise. With throttle cables no longer being used in vehicles, unless you have a helper, you can't do this any longer. I have since sent an email to the company in Winnipeg making such a suggestion.

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

I was wondering the same thing. I had the little card for maps, but no pen (didn't see them at the Wawa Motor Inn booth until after).

Thanks for mentioning this. Brought a pen. Found district 15 booth who were giving away the map check card. Checked off boxes. Would have made a good scavenger hunt. Got home, figured out each district number, marked front leaf of each map.

On 10/21/2016 at 11:30 PM, waitin4sno said:

Picked up the trail maps. I do have a question regarding most of the 2017 maps - why did they not include the district number on the front?

Perhaps in anticipation of district re-alignment???

One of the aspects of district amalgamation too consider will be the trail maps. They are a manageable size right now with an effective scale and level of detail. What happens to the trail map for an amalgamated D7 & D10. One big map with a piece of paper twice the size it is now? Just imagine trying to unfold that one especially on a windy day. A map on a piece of paper the same as the current size that covers all the trails in the current D7 & D10? Get out the magnifying glass folks. What happens to the advertisers on the maps. If they use the same size of paper the ads would have to be 1/2 the size to still fit. Will business pay for that teeny tiny ad? How eager would they be willing to pay to advertise and get lost in the larger number of ads compared to the current scenario. Will the one district produce two maps, north district H and south district H... or was it district I that was proposed for D7 & D10?

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

One of the aspects of district amalgamation too consider will be the trail maps. They are a manageable size right now with an effective scale and level of detail. What happens to the trail map for an amalgamated D7 & D10. One big map with a piece of paper twice the size it is now? Just imagine trying to unfold that one especially on a windy day. A map on a piece of paper the same as the current size that covers all the trails in the current D7 & D10? Get out the magnifying glass folks. What happens to the advertisers on the maps. If they use the same size of paper the ads would have to be 1/2 the size to still fit. Will business pay for that teeny tiny ad? How eager would they be willing to pay to advertise and get lost in the larger number of ads compared to the current scenario. Will the one district produce two maps, north district H and south district H... or was it district I that was proposed for D7 & D10?

I would imagine they would still keep the two maps just cause of that purpose. The only thing would change that id see is that it would be district F west and east. Everything else stays the same...

If you look at the MOTS documents, including the tables and maps showing the new districts, you will see that the proposed combination of D7 plus D10 will have fewer trail kilometres than most other districts.

I would think it should be possible to create a viable map.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

If you look at the MOTS documents, including the tables and maps showing the new districts, you will see that the proposed combination of D7 plus D10 will have fewer trail kilometres than most other districts.

I would think it should be possible to create a viable map.

Just looked at the current D7 map and regardless of the number of km's of trail it is just the physical scale of the map. Trying to imagine the map being half the size it is today and I think the scale would be tough to make it readable especially for someone like me with tired old eyes. I would prefer SuperG concept of two separate maps still. One for east and one for west or similar concept.

One thing that I noticed is that all the districts were scattered over a few aisles. I had to check then double back and ask for example where D6 was . It would be nice if the organizer of the show could put all the districts in one row. It did seem to be less of the powersports exhibitors and more of the booths for inflatable chairs, heat lamps etc... ^_^ nice to have the freestyle show inside however it was a much smaller show.

22 minutes ago, smokeater466 said:

One thing that I noticed is that all the districts were scattered over a few aisles. I had to check then double back and ask for example where D6 was . It would be nice if the organizer of the show could put all the districts in one row. It did seem to be less of the powersports exhibitors and more of the booths for inflatable chairs, heat lamps etc... ^_^ nice to have the freestyle show inside however it was a much smaller show.

They did the same last year and scattered the district booths all over the place. I had to hunt to find the individual districts and then use the checklist one of the districts was handing out to see which ones I had and didn't have. It would have been nice to be able to go up and down an aisle and see each district in numeric order.

Bring back the Amzoil girls and get rid of the two old guys they had in the booth and for an old guy like me to say these two were old translates to they were real old.

I did like the Cat display but was disappointed they weren't giving out the posters like they have in past years. I also liked their current promo.... buy a new sled and get a 2016/2017 season trail permit.

1 hour ago, smokeater466 said:

Yes I found that to that they had too many of those types of displays especially the ambulance chasers booth again! Its a powersports show, keep it like that! 

An yes blakeG, they might be getting rid of some kms of trails. But I think to be fair to both districts more so their map sponsors, they are best to keep the 2 maps as East and West. That way seasoned sledders eyes wont have to strain as much and also more room to have map sponsors, rather than having both districts sponsors fighting for a tiny space on ONE map. IMO.

Archived