diesel sled being tested in arctic-dual fuel capacity

slomo

I know 2 folks that have the Ecodiesel in their trucks & yes you wouldn't know it. I'm not against diesels just the idgits that think they're the "cool" vehicle to drive. They'll be idling/rattling away in the drug store parking lot & I just shake my head as to what the riding experience must be like.

Bro has a Dmax that I've ridden/driven. I can't see why someone would want 1 if there wasn't a benefit. It's not noisy, but it seems sluggish when driving around town.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Move to farm country & everyone has a Cummins powered Dodge w/ stacks up thru the box & sounds like a grader or front end loader coming down the highway @ 60 mph.

We've got some guy here in Apsley (not sure where he's from originally) & he's on his 3rd Cummins powered vehicle. His 1st was GMC Yukon (2 door) w/ a Cummins. It sounded like (fill in the blank). 

I had headers & duals on my '82  half ton. Turned that page when I sold the truck in '88. IMO a gas V8 sounds better than a diesel any day of the week.

hatters be hatten on the diesels....lol

A quick google search will reveal the state of today's diesel engines

Berkley:

UC Berkeley researchers have stepped into this debate with a new study that says diesel exhaust contributes 15 times more than gas emissions per liter of fuel burned.

Stanford:

Laws that favor the use of diesel, rather than gasoline, engines in cars may actually encourage global warming, according to a new study. Although diesel cars obtain 25 to 35 percent better mileage and emit less carbon dioxide than similar gasoline cars, they can emit 25 to 400 times more mass of particulate black carbon and associated organic matter ("soot") per kilometer [mile]. The warming due to soot may more than offset the cooling due to reduced carbon dioxide emissions over several decades, according to Mark Z. Jacobson, associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford University.

For a better understanding of the difference between diesel & gasoline engines, some light reading:

http://www.livescience.com/52284-volkswagen-scandal-clean-diesel-challenges.html

I think the bottom line is, if your towing & hauling is frequent enough & heavy enough to justify a diesel, fine. Other than that, gasoline is the better choice.

The new Cummins is not cheap to maintain.They are also pulling out of the onroad vehicle market just like Cat.

Cummins is pulling out of the on road market? Where did you read that? I would really like to read that article.

A quick google search will reveal the state of today's diesel engines

Berkley:

UC Berkeley researchers have stepped into this debate with a new study that says diesel exhaust contributes 15 times more than gas emissions per liter of fuel burned.

Stanford:

Laws that favor the use of diesel, rather than gasoline, engines in cars may actually encourage global warming, according to a new study. Although diesel cars obtain 25 to 35 percent better mileage and emit less carbon dioxide than similar gasoline cars, they can emit 25 to 400 times more mass of particulate black carbon and associated organic matter ("soot") per kilometer [mile]. The warming due to soot may more than offset the cooling due to reduced carbon dioxide emissions over several decades, according to Mark Z. Jacobson, associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford University.

For a better understanding of the difference between diesel & gasoline engines, some light reading:

http://www.livescience.com/52284-volkswagen-scandal-clean-diesel-challenges.html

I think the bottom line is, if your towing & hauling is frequent enough & heavy enough to justify a diesel, fine. Other than that, gasoline is the better choice.

So my son now drives a Jetta TDI for work. He gets on average 850 km per 55 litre tank in the summer. He used to drive a Hemi pickup which got about 450 km per tank. The tank on the Hemi was 98 litres. I think the 25-35% difference in mileage might only be true if comparing like models of vehicles in either gas or diesel. As well, what type of emissions is the above study talking about? Is it NOX or is it Greenhouse gases. 2 very different things. New engines with the use of DEF have almost eliminated NOX. The stacks of new commercial trucks are as clean on the inside as on the outside.

The new Cummins is not cheap to maintain.

My brother has one in is 2014 Ram2500 says it's about $250 every 15,000km that includes the oil change at the dealer. Which isnt bad since my Dart runs me $160 for a dealer oil change.

Exactly & how many people that have them can actually justify their use?

Like someone posted earlier, the engine lasts forever but the cab & box is a pile of rust. A couple like that have been around here. When you scrap it, because who's going to buy it, you're back to square 1.

My brother has one in is 2014 Ram2500 says it's about $250 every 15,000km that includes the oil change at the dealer. Which isnt bad since my Dart runs me $160 for a dealer oil change.

Oil change for my F150 is $45

Another satisfied Dodge owner

post-19781-0-23490000-1460854450_thumb.jpg

Anyone see the latest Discovery Channel attempt at stimulating TV... Diesel Brothers... Bunch of hill jacks working on Diesel trucks because anit notting better them there diesels..

Anyone see the latest Discovery Channel attempt at stimulating TV... Diesel Brothers... Bunch of hill jacks working on Diesel trucks because anit notting better them there diesels..

Dad gum if' dey ain't right Jethro. Tain't nuttin better'n let'n people hear ya cumin 5 minutes fer ya git dare

If your dealer is charging $160.00 for an oil change you need to be looking for a new dealer, unless of course he is providing other services. 

A 2016 Ram diesel takes 12L of full synthetic oil.  $10/L at Crappy Tire, so you're $120 in oil, plus a filter, plus disposal, and labour.  $160 is a bargain. 

A 2016 Ram diesel takes 12L of full synthetic oil.  $10/L at Crappy Tire, so you're $120 in oil, plus a filter, plus disposal, and labour.  $160 is a bargain. 

I think that the Cummins still does not demand Synthetic oil 

Guys with mullets, 'rollin coal', give diesels a bad image.  There are many situations where a diesel is a great choice for more than just heavy equipment.  Of our street vehicles, 2 are 'oil burners' and I wouldn't trade them. My daily driver is an 09 GMC Sierra 2500HD.  Great truck. Trouble free for 180,000km except for 2 glow plugs. Never been plugged in and always starts. It is very easy to live with; no diesel exhaust fluid on the older GMs, so the particulate filter regen costs you some fuel economy, but otherwise you can't even tell it ever regenerates. Averages 12L/100km around town, often with a trailer in tow. Got 10.2L/km on a Florida trip. 

My wife's daily driver is a mid-size Mercedes-Benz sport ute. Fantastic diesel!  As quiet as a petrol engine, way better torque delivery, and she sees 6.2L/100km during routine use around town. This improves further to 5L/100km on a long highway trip. That's pretty good for an high Cd vehicle, loaded with plush bits. The Merc uses DEF.  A fill up of DEF after 15,000km takes about 16L. That's ~$30 if you do it yourself. 

I know this is all anecdotal but I've had great experience with diesels in boats, off-road and on-road equipment. 

I think that the Cummins still does not demand Synthetic oil 

It's required for cold weather. Non-synthetic is OK for warm temps, but how many people switch back and forth?

post-22643-0-60103100-1460943431_thumb.png

If your dealer is charging $160.00 for an oil change you need to be looking for a new dealer, unless of course he is providing other services.

My Dart has a Fiat 1.4L Turbo. Requires a special 5w40 full synthetic Euro blend oil. It's 8.99 a liter for me to buy from NAPA as they are the only ones who sell it and $21 for the filter. So with eco fees even to do it myself I'm almost 70 bucks. Plus the car has an underbody aero shield which you have to get around for the drain plug. Dealer charges am hour labour which it takes them. That's why it's $160... might also be one of the reasons Dodge is dropping the Dart this year.

My Dart has a Fiat 1.4L Turbo. Requires a special 5w40 full synthetic Euro blend oil. It's 8.99 a liter for me to buy from NAPA as they are the only ones who sell it and $21 for the filter. So with eco fees even to do it myself I'm almost 70 bucks. Plus the car has an underbody aero shield which you have to get around for the drain plug. Dealer charges am hour labour which it takes them. That's why it's $160... might also be one of the reasons Dodge is dropping the Dart this year.

Chrysler does some strange stuff. MS-12991 is hard to find.  There are numerous equivalent standards they could have quoted. The Dart is an entry-level vehicle; it's stupid not to specify an oil that you can find at Crappy T or Walmart. 

Maybe I'm "old school", but I'd never put 0-20 in a vehicle I planned to own for any length of time. I buy 15-40 Rotella in bulk. If it costs me a bit of fuel economy, so be it.

I broke down and put 0-40 Mobil 1 Euro formula in my Yamaha Apex, after reading good info on the 'web. Thought it might make for better cold weather starting.

I don't understand how they can charge you an hours labor, when they probably have a kid doing it that they are paying minimum wage.

Archived