diesel sled being tested in arctic-dual fuel capacity

slomo

The D900, produced by Ottawa company DEW Engineering, is a military-grade snowmobile that offers a range of more than 500 kilometres and a large stowage area. Two D900's are being tested by members of the army and the Canadian Rangers as part of Operation Nunalivut, which is taking place this month near Resolute, Nunavut.

post-19713-0-57452800-1460581696_thumb.j

However, the biggest innovation is its multi-fuel engine, which can run on diesel fuel or JP-8 — the two most common fuels at military operations -

article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/diesel-powered-snowmobile-operation-nunalivut-1.3532162

Company web site - http://www.dewengineering.com/products.htm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The D900, produced by Ottawa company DEW Engineering, is a military-grade snowmobile that offers a range of more than 500 kilometres and a large stowage area. Two D900's are being tested by members of the army and the Canadian Rangers as part of Operation Nunalivut, which is taking place this month near Resolute, Nunavut.

attachicon.gifdew-d900.jpg

However, the biggest innovation is its multi-fuel engine, which can run on diesel fuel or JP-8 — the two most common fuels at military operations -

article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/diesel-powered-snowmobile-operation-nunalivut-1.3532162

Company web site - http://www.dewengineering.com/products.htm

And the Feds will order a wack of them at $75K each.

Yup but at least it's from a Canadian company.

hopefully the d-9 rides at the back of the pack

I hope it's not a pull start.

Pull start diesel in sub zero weather would be lots of fun.

You can't even pull start most gas efi sleds never mind a diesel. Be fun to watch them try though. They probabily have some high tech storage building at the base to put sleds in, when not in use. Otherwise I bet they just keep them running. Diesel could idle for hours and not use much fuel.

No problem pull starting my 600, even on cold mornings. Diesel, don't think so. I understand the availabilty of fuel as a selling point but not the range. Lot easier to just add a larger fuel tank onto a small 4 stroke like the Doo 600. Fuel efficient, cheaper and easy to get parts if needed.

No problem pull starting my 600, even on cold mornings. Diesel, don't think so. I understand the availabilty of fuel as a selling point but not the range. Lot easier to just add a larger fuel tank onto a small 4 stroke like the Doo 600. Fuel efficient, cheaper and easy to get parts if needed.

It's military and government. They'll have enough parts on hand and their own mechanics to likely build a complete replacement for each and everyone that would be in operation.

Does it sound like a Cummins?  :rolleyes:

Makes me think of 4 stroke sleds w/ block heaters. You're @ a camp w/o hydro. I know lots of gangs haul gennies in for evening lights & entertainment, but I doubt they'd want to leave it running all night.

Sounds like a typical gov't boondoggle to re-invent the wheel.

D900 Technical Specifications

Length: 3300 mm (130 in) Multifuel: Diesel, F-34 (JP-8), STANAG 4362 Width: 1250 mm (49.21 in) Range (un-refuelled): 550 km (342 mi) Weight: 362 kg (800 lb) dry Towing capacity: up to 400 kg (882 lb) Track width: 508 mm (20 in) Fuel consumption: 8.3L/100 km (28.3 mpg) Height (inc. windshield): 1570 mm (61.8 in) Engine: Turbocharged 3-cylinder Max speed: 70 kph (44 mph) Starting system: Electric Starter Operating temperature: -40ºC (-40ºF) to

10ºC (50ºF) (per MIL-STD-810G C2) Windshield: Extra High

I'd elect this guy for head of military procurement.

Actual cost will likely be 10X that.

The following year, they'll realize they suck, and go back to a commercially available unit.

Your tax dollars at work.

would there be a DEF tank?

would there be a DEF tank?

Most small diesels are exempt.

Thx for the link. 

Looks like a conventional Bear Cat (blue) halfway through.

Hope the diesel works out.

Imagine the trickle down for grooming fleet. 

I'd elect this guy for head of military procurement.

Actual cost will likely be 10X that.

The following year, they'll realize they suck, and go back to a commercially available unit.

Your tax dollars at work.

Most military are getting away from gas altogether due to flammability and short shelf life. That is why Merc is building the Diesel Optimax outboard  http://www.mercuryracing.com/optimax-diesel-reporting-for-duty/

Most military are getting away from gas altogether due to flammability and short shelf life. That is why Merc is building the Diesel Optimax outboard  http://www.mercuryracing.com/optimax-diesel-reporting-for-duty/

bill,do you not think diesel pollutes more than any other fuel-gasoline,propane,natural gas...know some guys burnt stove oil in trucks,see soot from oil burning hwt,boilers & furnaces...can't imagine a world where ever vehicle sounds like a garbage truck...freakin turbos whinning,like being beside a tai-pan tour bus on hwy 400

imagine 2 big chrome straws coming outta the diesel outboard with rain caps....o-boy

can't imagine a world where ever vehicle sounds like a garbage truck...freakin turbos whinning,like being beside a tai-pan tour bus on hwy 400

imagine 2 big chrome straws coming outta the diesel outboard with rain caps....o-boy

Move to farm country & everyone has a Cummins powered Dodge w/ stacks up thru the box & sounds like a grader or front end loader coming down the highway @ 60 mph.

We've got some guy here in Apsley (not sure where he's from originally) & he's on his 3rd Cummins powered vehicle. His 1st was GMC Yukon (2 door) w/ a Cummins. It sounded like (fill in the blank). 

I had headers & duals on my '82  half ton. Turned that page when I sold the truck in '88. IMO a gas V8 sounds better than a diesel any day of the week.

Bag of hammers :lol:

Bag of hammers :lol:

lol !!!

bill,do you not think diesel pollutes more than any other fuel-gasoline,propane,natural gas...know some guys burnt stove oil in trucks,see soot from oil burning hwt,boilers & furnaces...can't imagine a world where ever vehicle sounds like a garbage truck...freakin turbos whinning,like being beside a tai-pan tour bus on hwy 400

actually it is super quiet. The new diesels are not loud at all. When the diesel engine uses less than half the fuel of a gas engine to do the samework it has to pollute less per kilometer. 

Sadly VW may of poisoned the well in regard to Diesels , because the market was headed that way before their computer setting boo boo, I am glad small diesels are still working  their way into small pickups (besides the big ones).............quite frankly I would gladly take a VW diesel for a commuter car and leave the computer setting the way they are.........heck a gas lawnmower pollutes more than a VW . I hope Jeep follows thru with putting a 4 cyl diesel in the Wrangler line , there is even talk of a Wrangler pickup truck by 2018 or 2019. The box won't be big enough o handle a snow machine but it will have all sorts of HP to pull a sled /ATVtrailer.

Archived