RAP Tour Planning 2016

revrnd

post-19781-0-89375100-1454280462_thumb.jpg

On a suggestion from 1 of the members, here's a thread that is intending on helping folks plan their RAP Tour. Any questions, suggestions or updates should be posted here.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great idea. We did the RAP last year and we did not enjoy it. It's possible I didn't optimize the route when planning it. Direction from those familiar about routes that avoid heavily traveled trails and road riding would be appreciated.

This is great timing, as we are planning on doing the RAP next week. The big question right now is how are conditions all the way around? Planning on leaving Sunday from Haliburton, and be back on Wednesday night.

This is great timing, as we are planning on doing the RAP next week. The big question right now is how are conditions all the way around?

Might be a little optimistic?

I hope I'm wrong.

This is great timing, as we are planning on doing the RAP next week. The big question right now is how are conditions all the way around? Planning on leaving Sunday from Haliburton, and be back on Wednesday night.

rough on the south and west sides. Not enough snow to fill in the holes and not enough ice to ride the lakes safely.

Ours is planned for a 4 day ride starting two weeks today. With what is open now we are 98% ready.

Keeping fingers tightly crossed for Feb 6 departure.

If only those Yanks hadn't snagged all of our snow....

Keeping our eyes peeled for any and all info, as it's our first time 'round.

Instead of the "A" out of Stonecliffe...run Missing Links 196 to 195 then back onto the "A" and then hit the 197.  

Some of the best trails there are, and only about an extra 15kms on your route.

We did it last week while up there, and they were stunning!!

Kudos to Missing Link!!

Instead of the "A" out of Stonecliffe...run Missing Links 196 to 195 then back onto the "A" and then hit the 197.

Some of the best trails there are, and only about an extra 15kms on your route.

We did it last week while up there, and they

were stunning!!

Those trails are always sweet! I think everyone misses them.

Kudos to Missing Link!!

W/ the way weather in southern Ontario can be, it's hard to plan a trip 2 or 3 months in advance. Booking time off from work only to have a major weather catastrophe isn't great.

I did 1 & a half RAP tours (don't ask) while working & once since I retired. We booked our holidays & hoped for the best. The 1st back in '96 was OK for snow cover albeit very cold (-30s) & me suffering from something similar to the flu. Since it was early in the history of the tour signage in a few areas was spotty.

We did it 3 years ago & had no problems other than breaking trail most of the way from Spectacle to Deux Rivieres during a heavy snowfall.

As of today I don't think there's a complete route from Haliburton. I would bet that the lakes get staked this week but if they don't you may have difficulty getting in and out of Hali.

The B trail running through HCSA has good spots and bad spots right now.  They are doing what they can with what they have to work with.  You will be really slow if you are taking the B trail through the area.

Sorry lol I have to actually go and check them I don't get a promt to... I don't receive many so I don't often check

When I receive a PM within Ontario Conditions, I also get an email message......doesn't this happen to everyone?

The B trail running through HCSA has good spots and bad spots right now. They are doing what they can with what they have to work with. You will be really slow if you are taking the B

trail through the area.

Ox narrow route being staked again, once safe? It was staked last year to avoid the logging on trail 15 I believe. Was a great run that had no traffic on the weekends. Used it to go to Dorset and back all by myself. I don't think many riders know about it.

Logging is on trail 16. B cuts across Kushog. Are you refering to trail 11 which cuts across the lakes? Staking should be happening soon. I saw that Moose and Eagle got staked this weekend so hopefully the Hawks, Sherbourne, Kushog get done soon.

Logging is on trail 16. B cuts across Kushog. Are you refering to trail 11 which cuts across the lakes? Staking should be happening soon. I saw that Moose and Eagle got staked this weekend

so hopefully the Hawks, Sherbourne, Kushog

get done soon.

Nope trail 11 goes from B across to Kennis lake, totally different direction. Pretty sure trail 15 was closed last year, might have been 16 can't remember because of logging. The ox narrow route was staked to avoid it (first time in maybe 8 or so years that it was marked). It takes you in the back way from little hawk lake, to clear and a few others, actually go down the narrows and make your own path. Was low snow when I went thru last Jan, so you could see all of the rocks and boulders frozen in place down the narrows. Didn't see many tracks going that way and had fun finding some of the portage routes between the lakes, was only wide enough for one sled In most parts.

Logging is on trail 16. B cuts across Kushog. Are you refering to trail 11 which cuts across the lakes? Staking should be happening soon. I saw that Moose and Eagle got staked this weekend so hopefully the Hawks, Sherbourne, Kushog get done soon.

doubtful it happens before next week. Way too much slush and still some little open spots where the water is moving (and normally isnt).

Kennisis just froze over finally on Tuesday..

Nope trail 11 goes from B across to Kennis lake, totally different direction. Pretty sure trail 15 was closed last year, might have been 16 can't remember because of logging. The ox narrow route was staked to avoid it (first time in maybe 8 or so years that it was marked). It takes you in the back way from little hawk lake, to clear and a few others, actually go down the narrows and make your own path. Was low snow when I went thru last Jan, so you could see all of the rocks and boulders frozen in place down the narrows. Didn't see many tracks going that way and had fun finding some of the portage routes between the lakes, was only wide enough for one sled In most parts.

Sherborne lake runs north from big hawk west end to st noras and the Sherborne Rd trail (64). It has been staked in the past depending on who decides to do it.

Only 1 track down from the dam on Saturday... more Tracks going to the north end access Rd. It's as dicey as I've ever seen it with lots of slush and many open holes. Lakes are NOT safe. I fear it will be a bad year on the ice.

Y16 is being logged and closed again this year. 15 is the trail out of halls lake.

Sherborne lake runs north from big hawk west end to st noras and the Sherborne Rd trail (64). It has been staked in the past depending on who decides to do it.

Only 1 track down from the dam on Saturday... more Tracks going to the north end access Rd. It's as dicey as I've ever seen it with lots of

slush and many open holes. Lakes are NOT

safe. I fear it will be a bad year on the ice.

Y16 is being logged and closed again this year. 15 is the trail out of halls lake.

Thank-you for the info. Hopefully lakes get better. I won't be going any time soon. Hoping to be safe for middle of feb, but we shall see. Best part of hailburton area is all of the lake riding. If you know where to go, you can avoid busy B trail, entirely.

When I receive a PM within Ontario Conditions, I also get an email message......doesn't this happen to everyone?

Depends on how you have your notifications set up.

W/ the way weather in southern Ontario can be, it's hard to plan a trip 2 or 3 months in advance. Booking time off from work only to have a major weather catastrophe isn't great.

I did 1 & a half RAP tours (don't ask) while working & once since I retired. We booked our holidays & hoped for the best. The 1st back in '86 was OK for snow cover albeit very cold (-30s) & me suffering from something similar to the flu. Since it was early in the history of the tour signage in a few areas was spotty.

We did it 3 years ago & had no problems other than breaking trail most of the way from Spectacle to Deux Rivieres during a heavy snowfall.

Wow 86! I was always curious what the trails were like back then. I was talking to an elderly couple who said they used to ride from Fenelon Falls to Hali in I think 1980. I think the rail line was still in so I don't know how they did it.

Wow 86! I was always curious what the trails were like back then. I was talking to an elderly couple who said they used to ride from Fenelon Falls to Hali in I think 1980. I think the rail line was still in so I don't know how they did it.

My bad it was '96. I ran it w/ my '95 440.

My parents did the rap tour in the winter of '91 on a 91 Polaris Indy Lite and 87 Polaris Star 250.

Archived