RAP Tour Planning 2016

revrnd

re: closed trails ...

my buddy and I came across a closed trail near Sundridge...

said " can't go there " lets look at Google maps and see where this road goes ..

Oh..look...into to town where we need gas ..

Guys and gals ..we need to stay off trails that are closed ...

yes frustrating but we need to do it..

I get it if you are doing a tour and are really stuck...ride closed as a LAST resort ...

Having trails to ride is a privilege ..not a right ..  

Cheers all ...ride safe .

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re: closed trails ...

my buddy and I came across a closed trail near Sundridge...

said " can't go there " lets look at Google maps and see where this road goes ..

Oh..look...into to town where we need gas ..

Guys and gals ..we need to stay off trails that are closed ...

yes frustrating but we need to do it..

I get it if you are doing a tour and are really stuck...ride closed as a LAST resort ...

Having trails to ride is a privilege ..not a right ..  

Cheers all ...ride safe .

I agree! There was a guy on a face book forum posting pics on a closed trail! They think it's their god given right to ride when the buy a permit!

Patient, patient and patient and we get  reward ;) , so everything looks much better now, Algonquin loop is open all around and we will make our 5 days trip next Monday :rolleyes:  

Cold front is coming so things should be even Better. ;) 

Time to ride guys :-D 

Saw open that REALLY should have been closed this week.

Good luck on the tour, but keep your eyes and options open.

Happy trails!

I don't see a complete route around, still seeing a 4.2 km section of D101B as closed.

Does not give many options so will put off for anouther week when we will get a bit more snow.

Like to hear about any competed tours.

I don't see a complete route around, still seeing a 4.2 km section of D101B as closed.

Does not give many options so will put off for anouther week when we will get a bit more snow.

Like to hear about any competed tours.

Here is an update from the club regarding that closed section of trail.. We plan on doing the tour this week and will report back once its done

ASC Trail Report, February 14, 2016, 9:52 p.m.....

Happy Valentines Day Everyone.

With the help of the Great ASC members we have found a re-route around the trail closure on D101B that connects Dorset and Dwight.

We will make a pass with the groomer on Tuesday and then it will be signed for Wednesday. That is my plan and we will be back in business providing great trails for our permit buyers and Business Supporters. We apologize for this inconvenience that was beyond our control.

The trails held up great this weekend with the hard base and cold temps. Lets hope Mother Nature plays nice for the next month or so to make up for the slow start.

Our next event is our Fish Derby on March 5th. More details so follow.

Stay Tuned.

•••

Has anyone out there completed the RAP Tour yet?

Supposed to depart North Bay February 23rd.

What are the betting odds on having a reasonably good ride with mild weather in

forecast for later this week?

Not good on the south side of park with low snow levels, before the warm up. Lake by pass thru hailburton, isn't ready yet either, so that will mean a rough B trail, if snow melts down. You still have some time though. I was thinking about

just riding the north and east side, since that is

where most of the snow has landed this year. South and east side always beat up during a mild winter. Need a normal winter to have a great rap, since traffic isn't so concentrated.

Not good on the south side of park with low snow levels, before the warm up. Lake by pass thru hailburton, isn't ready yet either, so that will mean a rough B trail, if snow melts down. You still have some time though. I was thinking about

just riding the north and east side, since that is

where most of the snow has landed this year. South and east side always beat up during a mild winter. Need a normal winter to have a great rap, since traffic isn't so concentrated.

All lakes are staked in the Halliburton area well the lakes you use for the RAP if you choose to go that route

D6 is posting on Facebook that the RAP route is now complete/open as of this morning.

Now that the lakes are staked it would make a much better ride to use the lakes and bypass the B through Haliburton. The B is very rough going. Doesn't look like its been groomed since before the weekend.

Now that the lakes are staked it would make a much better ride to use the lakes and bypass the B through Haliburton. The B is very rough going. Doesn't look like its been groomed since before the weekend.

B might have been skipped for awhile the moguls are brutal, there and towards hawk lake.  Having no snow is killing things, lets hope for more snow than rain tomorrow.

Most of the Hali trails have been very good this season especially considering the low snow they've had to work with but the section of B from Beech River bridge to Hawk Lake is brutal. I don't know if its seen a groomer all season.

Overall the trails have been much better since Livin' came on the scene.

Most of the Hali trails have been very good this season especially considering the low snow they've had to work with but the section of B from Beech River bridge to Hawk Lake is brutal. I don't know if its seen a groomer all season.

Overall the trails have been much better since Livin' came on the scene.

100% agree rough year for everyone in the sport!  Im pretty sure there has not been a groomer down that section of trail as there is still trees down.   Like I've said before I've moved some off the trail what i could handle but some need a chainsaw.   Livin' is doing an amazing job everywhere, trail conditions,communications, signage!! Thanks Livin' and crew!!

100% agree rough year for everyone in the sport! Im pretty sure there has not been a groomer down that section of trail as there is still trees down. Like I've said before I've moved

some off the trail what i could handle but some

need a chainsaw. Livin' is doing an amazing

job everywhere, trail conditions,communications,

signage!! Thanks Livin' and crew!!

That B trail Is awesome, when snow levels are good. The club is doing a great job, considering the low snow levels again this winter.

Just completed the tour today, went from Minden to Sundridge to Mattawa to Petawawa to Minden. If anyone has any questions about certain areas feel free to ask. Overall the trails were amazing especially when you consider the lack of snow for the southern portions of the park. We avoided as much HCSA area trails as possible due to the lack of snow.

After the rain fri/sat here....can anyone tell me how the east and north side are now?  Did they get the rain too?

Also, what is the best way to avoid the B trail and take lake routes?  I dont see any lake routes avoiding B powerline on the guide.

Aiming to do 3 days/ 2 nights......Huntsville to Mattawa, Mattawa to Pembroke, Pembroke back to home.

Any help appreciated, Not even sure if this is worth doing this week now since the rain, although wed/thurs has a potential storm in forecast and it could be great for a wed/thurs/fri RAP.

Dan

Can't avoid B powerline, but that trail should still be good. It isn't as rugged as B is thru rest of hail. If you take russel landing from Dorset on the other side of lake of bays, you can follow the lake chain and come out at Kennis lake. Then you just have to back track down trail 11. I usually fuel up at the forest on my way out.

Can't avoid B powerline, but that trail should still be good. It isn't as rugged as B is thru rest of hail. If you take russel landing from Dorset on the other side of lake of bays, you can follow the lake chain and come out at Kennis lake. Then you just have to back track down trail 11. I usually fuel up at the forest on my way out.

Yeah that is the way I had planned and always go...but it sounded like guys were saying run lakes to avoid B trail, and Id like to know where they mean.

Does not look like this week will be very good on south and east sides, but possibly snow wed would change things.

Ugh,  really hoped to do this tour this week but this winter is just sticking it to us all the time.

Yeah that is the way I had planned and always go...but it sounded like guys were saying run lakes to avoid B trail, and Id like to know where they mean.

Does not look like this week will be very good on south and east sides, but possibly snow wed

would change things.

Ugh, really hoped to do this tour this week but

this winter is just sticking it to us all the time.

Everyone is avoiding Top B from where b103 ends. It goes thru top end of hailburton all the way to Dorset. Powerline B from where you exit trail 11 and head north is always good. Thst trail is first to open last to close. Only way to avoid that section is to run farther east and go up the E, then some take golden lake and a few others (puts you pretty far east).

ok so nothing I have not done....thanks i usually stick to the powerline and 11 on lakes home.

Models today both showing agreement with snow wed/thurs....should have us all in great shape again.  Just hope it does not change and end up being rain again!

Hey Guys. Buddy and I hoping to do impromptu RAP tour this weekend (and really hoping this snow storm system pans out) :) 

We're planning heading to his place near Dorset Thursday, and well we know it's easy enough to do it in 3 days, how feasible is a 2d circle (falling back to 3d if find going is slow.) Ex. Dorset clockwise to ~Stonecliffe Friday, then finish circle around back to his place Saturday.

We're still looking at lodging and gas stops (ie being open,) etc. and while ride mid-90s machines we have done 425km-475km back to back days before, but recognize running will be slower in twisty trails, etc.

Thoughts? Any other recommendations?

If the trails are smooth and there's lots of snow it is doable. You won't have much fun because you will be riding on the weekend when everyone else is so it will likely be rougher than you would like and you will be pushing all the time. I would suggest taking an extra day if you can (Thursday would be better than Sunday for smooth trails) and enjoy yourself and the scenery. Make sure you take trail 197 and 195 on the north side. they are too good to miss and not many extra km's..

I would suggest Dorset to Dinner Bell in Bonfield/ Dinner Bell to Quality Inn Petawawa/ Dorset last Day if you have the time. That way you could do some of the awesome trails around Bonfield if you have time the first day and you could do the awesome side trails on the north side the second day.

If you are going to do it in 2 days, When you get to A101D, don't turn right, continue north on D for about 4-5 km. and fuel up in Aldersdale You will be on an old rail bed and if you look left across the highway, you will see one pump beside a lumber yard or Co-op (I think its a Co-op). Then you can go back south and turn left on A101D and you should be good for fuel until Stonecliffe.

Have a great trip

Awesome thanks for the advice PLC. Like you say I suspect while doable we may be pushing it to go through in 2 and would be better suited to do the 3 and catch some side trials etc (as well as enjoy some food along the way) ;) we can't leave until Thursday morning so with the drive idea was run out any sled gremlins in dorset when we get there. Then hit trails early Friday morning.

Anyway here's hoping this snow comes and thanks again for advice (first time rappers) :)

Well trip is booked. :) Dinner Bell was all booked up unfortunately so decided to go a bit further and stay in Mattawa the first night, then onto the quality inn in Petawawa next night and then back to Dorset.  Still planning exact route and gas stops now, but usually err on are on the conservative side, so we don't run out.

Our thoughts were to come into Mattawa from north side of the river so D to Astorville, A102D to Bonfield - A - BF201 - A112A into Mattawa.  Unless there's some advice against that (ice conditions, crappy trail,or south side on A is better route advice etc.)

Definitely going to include 195/197 on day 2 as per recommendation.  Any other don't miss trails, get gas here, or final tips folks have?

Archived