Quebec banning studs

ravinerat

Skidooboy can probably chime in but in the U.P. or Wisconsin I've seen a grey surface on the roadway where trails cross. Not sure if it's the same stuff as this:

http://www.stonhard.ca/

but I've seen it in place on factory floors to prevent damage from lift truck drivers dragging the forks over cement.

The whole thing sounds typical of gov't ministries. One is promoting an activity while another throws up roadblocks.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father is involved with roads maintenance around here, at the Township and Municipal levels, and he says there has been talk about the Mennonite Buggys with the steel rimmed wood wheels. Says there have been thoughts about banning or limiting them. I have noticed the roads in the Mennonite area's do show Buggy wear!.. Also there are a few snowmobile crossings here that have a "DIP" where you cross. I can see the banning of studs happening.. I have heard the complaint more than once around here.

Just a fyi, I do not run studs!...HEHE!!

Carbides do almost the same amount of damage too. That is what our valtag money is for. If anything they will up the fee to cover the repairs. I have heard in the past they tried to go after the ofsc to cover the damaged road crossings.

FMCQ Rules and Regulations has the full document but in reference to the above regulation they refer to an off highway vehicle as described in chapter V-1.2. Full document attached. Lots of ambiguity and typical government confusing verbage.

chapter V-1.2

AN ACT RESPECTING OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES

CHAPTER I 

SCOPE

1. This Act applies to the following off-highway vehicles:

(1) a snowmobile whose net mass does not exceed 450 kg and whose width does not exceed 1.28 m, equipment included

I guess Yamaha's are OK, then :lmao:

I guess Yamaha's are OK, then :lmao:

Especially yours ... lol!!!!

The road crossings are obvious in a vehicle, you can feel the dip when you pass over them. Small price to pay for a billion dollar industry.

So this is the preferred road crossing technique in Quebec now?

post-22651-0-78918200-1452691839_thumb.jpg

that's what the fuel tax is for and we don't even ride on the roads except to cross :rolleyes:

i don't see them banning studs or carbides , they are used for safety just like the studded tires in Quebec :banghead:

that's what the fuel tax is for and we don't even ride on the roads except to cross :rolleyes:

i don't see them banning studs or carbides , they are used for safety just like the studded tires in Quebec :banghead:

I believe it used to be that fuel tax went to roads however I don't believe that is the case anymore. The fuel taxes are provincial and federal and go into the general coffers. The road maintenance and repairs for the roads we would be crossing would be paid for at the municipal level. At least in Ontario. There have been cases where municipalities have gone to snowmobile clubs to pay for road repairs where the trail crosses the road. After all nobody seems to just pull away from the side of the road to cross it anymore than they do when they pull away from a stop on a trail. They have this compulsive need to hammer the throttle and chew up the first few feet of the road in particular on either side just like digging holes on the trail as they pull away.

Skidooboy can probably chime in but in the U.P. or Wisconsin I've seen a grey surface on the roadway where trails cross. Not sure if it's the same stuff as this:

http://www.stonhard.ca/

but I've seen it in place on factory floors to prevent damage from lift truck drivers dragging the forks over cement.

The whole thing sounds typical of gov't ministries. One is promoting an activity while another throws up roadblocks.

We noticed these in Michigan also. Seems like a good idea. They did a study on this in NH.  

https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevelopment/materials/research/projects/documents/FHWA-NH-RD-14282D.pdf

After all nobody seems to just pull away from the side of the road to cross it anymore than they do when they pull away from a stop on a trail. They have this compulsive need to hammer the throttle and chew up the first few feet of the road in particular on either side just like digging holes on the trail as they pull away.

I've seen it too & ask myself if they enjoy replacing studs & tracks.

If Quebec bans "studs", STG will have to go elsewhere for his annual tour.

He might be restricted to the Ontario portion of the Chippendale's circuit.

If Quebec bans "studs", STG will have to go elsewhere for his annual tour.

He might be restricted to the Ontario portion of the Chippendale's circuit.

Our group just finished up a stint in Crotch Lake and we're off to Balls Falls.    I can't believe they are not letting us back into La Belle Province !!

Chippendales20yrreunion.jpg

Help. I can't see.... I've gone blind

So this is the preferred road crossing technique in Quebec now?

attachicon.gifSDC10001.jpg

Until you catch the hydro lines ;)

I don't know anyone with a studded sled that hammers the throttle while crossing a paved road. That would be just stupid not to mention it would screw up the studs and they are not cheap . It's the carbides that do all the damage.

Here is a link on the FCMQ website that explains the situation. http://fcmq.qc.ca/press-release/?lang=en

I don't know anyone with a studded sled that hammers the throttle while crossing a paved road. That would be just stupid not to mention it would screw up the studs and they are not

cheap . It's the carbides that do all the damage.

There are guys out there that hammer throttle at gas stations, road crossings etc with studded tracks. Mostly younger crowd with back packs on.

I don't know anyone with a studded sled that hammers the throttle while crossing a paved road. That would be just stupid not to mention it would screw up the studs and they are not cheap . It's the carbides that do all the damage.

If it's the carbides doing the damage why are the troughs in the road crossings a little more than one sled wide and worn more or less evenly from side to side  to even a little deeper in the middle??

There are guys out there that hammer throttle at gas stations, road crossings etc with studded tracks. Mostly younger crowd with back packs on.

Yup... that is why when I come up to a road crossing and there is someone waiting to cross already there I stay well back because I know that in a large number of cases there will be a massive spray of snert thrown back as they take off to cross the road. Rather than wait for a good opening to cross their impatience will have them race across as soon as they see an opening they think the can get through on

Especially yours ... lol!!!!

The road crossings are obvious in a vehicle, you can feel the dip when you pass over them. Small price to pay for a billion dollar industry.

yes for the big amount of money sleds bring in with the gas tax that is spent on roadways.

This just in.

http://fcmq.qc.ca/press-release/?lang=en

"all aftermarket track studs illegal at road crossing and on portions of trail which utilise road right-of-ways"

At least the FCMQ is against it.

Sooooo ..... if your sled of choice comes with an Ice Ripper track, you're supposed to be safe.  OEM stud kids like the Doo Woody's should be legal then, as they're an oem product ....

Big can of worms coming.....

Archived