Quebec banning studs

ravinerat

Anyone else hear of this?

BREAKING NEWS - QUEBEC BANS STUDS! You heard it here first…word has it that Quebec police are beginning to fine snowmobilers ($60 to $100) who cross public highways on tracks studded with after market traction products. Thanks to a pilot project enacted recently, this new law effectively shuts Quebec trails to many local sledders and visiting riders this winter unless action to end it by the Quebec Snowmobile Federation succeeds quickly. The ban apparently does not apply to tracks such as Ice Ripper (2nd photo) that come equipped with studs pre-molded into the lugs. Riders beware - and please share this post.

RR

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had heard from the Temiscaming Club President that this law has been in place for many years.

Highway bureaucrats gone wild.

Why don't they ban heavy trucks, Highway 11 north of North Bay is so heavily rutted after last weeken's rains that it was at least an inch or more deep. Quick freeze and guess what, 4 narrow skating rinks.

I had heard from the Temiscaming Club President that this law has been in place for many years.

Why don't they ban heavy trucks, Highway 11 north of North Bay is so heavily rutted after last weeken's rains that it was at least an inch or more deep. Quick freeze and guess what, 4 narrow skating rinks.

Lots of places in cottage country have half load restrictions seasonally. Perhaps our Minister of Transportation should look at similar for the highway. It's not just that highway though. I see ruts on the 401 across Toronto as well.

It's not like these trails have just sprung up in the last 6 months, nor have studs suddenly appeared on the scene.  If the municipalities managed their paving contracts better, they could specify a more appropriate road bed and top course for where known trails cross the roads. Step 1 is for the MTO, town staff and town councillors to fully accept sleds and recognize them as legitimate users of both land and roadways. 

Until then, sell all your Woody's stock!  

Anyone else hear of this?

BREAKING NEWS - QUEBEC BANS STUDS! You heard it here first…word has it that Quebec police are beginning to fine snowmobilers ($60 to $100) who cross public highways on tracks studded with after market traction products. Thanks to a pilot project enacted recently, this new law effectively shuts Quebec trails to many local sledders and visiting riders this winter unless action to end it by the Quebec Snowmobile Federation succeeds quickly. The ban apparently does not apply to tracks such as Ice Ripper (2nd photo) that come equipped with studs pre-molded into the lugs. Riders beware - and please share this post.

RR

Seriously I did NOT want to see this.  Crap I have studs not pre-molded studs either.  WTH

Seriously I did NOT want to see this.  Crap I have studs not pre-molded studs either.  WTH

Same as Karen's, Not going to stop us from going in February, will be interesting to see if they are actually enforcing it, If they do they will certainly see a drop in out of province sledders for sure.

Next thing will be carbides. Quebec allows vehicle studs, so what is the difference?

Some discussion on FS. Someone posted the legislation which has been around for years. I'm thinking it involved skidders etc. Some outfits add chains to the tires when they get worn dow,

post-19781-0-12825600-1452637354_thumb.jpg

I bet they would do a number on pavement. It's been a while since I've been thru Ardbeg, but there used to be a sign in town @ the start of the pavement that read, "No vehicles with lugs past this point".

Ned Nickerson jumping to conclusions?

It's not like these trails have just sprung up in the last 6 months, nor have studs suddenly appeared on the scene.  If the municipalities managed their paving contracts better, they could specify a more appropriate road bed and top course for where known trails cross the roads. Step 1 is for the MTO, town staff and town councillors to fully accept sleds and recognize them as legitimate users of both land and roadways. 

Until then, sell all your Woody's stock!  

By lots of track stock as people replace their tracks if that is the case.

you can always ride at home instead

Some discussion on FS. Someone posted the legislation which ahs been around for years. I'm thinking it involved skidders etc. Some outfits add chains to the tires when they get worn dow,

attachicon.gifSkidder Chains.jpg

I bet they would do a number on pavement. It's been a while since I've been thru Ardbeg, but there used to be a sign in town @ the start of the pavement that read, "No vehicles with lugs past this point".

Ned Nickerson jumping to conclusions?

Legislation is from Dec 17, 2015. Effective date for enforcement was Jan 7, 2016. This information is from the quebec snowmobile federation.

from a director of a club north of mtl.........Indeed weekend snowmobilers are actually recover a finding of infringement by the police on the trail between 319 and Minerva Lake Nominingue

Following comments from snowmobilers I have contacted the FCMQ for the right time .... the direction of FCMQ had been informed by many snowmobile ... FCMQ n was not aware of the guidelines given to police apparently 17 December to be implemented on January 7 ....

this situation is absurd and contradicts the safety rules ...

By way of information I learned that the management of the FCMQ was en route to Quebec for a meeting with the MTQ (d to other folders) and the subject of the spikes were put in the agenda

So expect to developments in case .... But nothing prevents you (like the I do) send a M Minister POLI your comments please address the following; ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

post-22300-0-77408100-1452638015_thumb.jpg

I believe point #2 is the issue.

Sounds like a rumour to me.

Hope so but doesn't look like it's just a rumour.

send a message with your wallets... DONT RIDE THERE! send a message to the snowmobile council, and the tourism council, and tell them why you wont go to their province, and spend your hard earned money in their communities.

Ski

It does state "studs inserted in the tires or tracks of off highway vehicles" in section 2. Would this not include sleds?

you can always ride at home instead

I know that and do.  We are only doing 1 trip there.  Believe me I ride a LOT in Ontario.  But, I do go for a trip every year to different areas. 

I do agree Brian. They should ban heavy trucks in Ontario because of the damage they do to the highways as long as people don't mind the fact that there will be 2 trucks on the highway for every heavy one taken off the roads and the cost of a vast array of products will increase due to transportation costs for goods and services increasing. Roads will last longer though.

It does state "studs inserted in the tires or tracks of off highway vehicles" in section 2. Would this not include sleds?

First and foremost you would need to know what they consider "off highway vehicles" .... 

FMCQ Rules and Regulations has the full document but in reference to the above regulation they refer to an off highway vehicle as described in chapter V-1.2. Full document attached. Lots of ambiguity and typical government confusing verbage.

chapter V-1.2

AN ACT RESPECTING OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES

CHAPTER I 
SCOPE

1. This Act applies to the following off-highway vehicles:

(1) a snowmobile whose net mass does not exceed 450 kg and whose width does not exceed 1.28 m, equipment included

Asked and answered, thank you.

Same as Karen's, Not going to stop us from going in February, will be interesting to see if they are actually enforcing it, If they do they will certainly see a drop in out of province sledders for sure.

Perhaps that is what some want....after all this is QC we are talking about...

I am sure it will amount to nothing, just like when the topic of mirrors come up in QC, supposed to have them, but lots do not and do not get harassed by the Police for not having them.

I am trying to recall if we saw many sleds in QC with studs when we did our trips....

I checked QuebecRider.com & the folks over there are just as puzzled about this. 

We used that forum for info when we were planning our visit thru the Noranda & Amos areas a few years ago.

I am sure studs are fine! Unless you are being a moron and going down centre of road, with sparks flying, no one is going to stop you.

I am sure studs are fine! Unless you are being a moron and going down centre of road, with sparks flying, no one is going to stop you.

Like riding through down town Val d'or....

Archived