Kearney O'Neils

whits-end

Look for a new eating establishment located in the former Iron Skillet building in downtown Kearney.  Kearney O'Neils should be up and running for this sled season.  I've heard the long term plans could include a pub and inn at that location.

Thank you. We look forward to hearing more information as it becomes available.

Viperules700 mentioned recently that Martin from the Iron Skillet has resurfaced at the Edgewater. Sounds as though there will be some good choices in the Kearney area again this winter.

Blake G and Slomo are eclipsing the Galloping Gourmet with info for hungry sledders.

(Galloping Gourmet was a cooking show on Canadian tv  from 1969-71. Not sure why I remember it --- would've been 10 years old).

Thank you whits-end  for the Kearney update. 

Blake G and Slomo are eclipsing the Galloping Gourmet with info for hungry sledders.

(Galloping Gourmet was a cooking show on Canadian tv  from 1969-71. Not sure why I remember it --- would've been 10 years old).

Thank you whits-end  for the Kearney update. 

Do not ask do not tell 

Kearney is a great day trip from Parry Sound.

It's one of those 'hub' towns that has trails leading from all directions.

Consistently great snow conditions. 

Funny how things change.  Not that long ago there was no food except the Legion in Kearney.  Pickerel Lake was a hub with the Lodge and Russ Haven's pub.  Now there's no pub or lodge on Pickerel Lake, and Kearney / Sand Lake are the focal point in Almaguin.

Funny how things change.  Not that long ago there was no food except the Legion in Kearney.  Pickerel Lake was a hub with the Lodge and Russ Haven's pub.  Now there's no pub or lodge on Pickerel Lake, and Kearney / Sand Lake are the focal point in Almaguin.

Well said! 

Being 'from away' I wasn't aware of the history. Thanks!

Have done a couple multi day trips riding out of the Kearney/Sand Lake area.  

Edgewater is a great spot, and it's a fun run from town out to there!  

We've stayed at the Pickerel Lake Lodge in the past and enjoyed it.   Heard it was up for sale a couple of years ago.  Is it closed completely now?  Are they making private use of any of the buildings ?

I still support the Legion

I haven't been to Edgewater but Suds on Main had the slowest service I have ever encountered even cutting them some slack for being busy. We usually go to the Legion instead. I never did get a chance to try the Skillet.

We've stayed at the Pickerel Lake Lodge in the past and enjoyed it.   Heard it was up for sale a couple of years ago.  Is it closed completely now?  Are they making private use of any of the buildings ?

Apparently it was turned into a drug rehab facility but I seem to recall there was some reports of questionable activities

It was discussed here ( http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8935-pickeral-lake-lodge-closed/ ) but you can blame it on CRS :-)

Edgewater is a great place to stay/eat.  Gas on site, good food, and accomodations are decent.  Plus, the groomer is staged there!

Apparently it was turned into a drug rehab facility but I seem to recall there was some reports of questionable activities

It was discussed here ( http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8935-pickeral-lake-lodge-closed/ ) but you can blame it on CRS :-)

Pickeral lake lodge did become a drug rehab centre.  I guess the owner didn't get any permission or attempt to change the zoning though.  Been following it in the almaguin news.  Apparently it is up for sale again, however no mention in the listing that it was an illegal rehab facility.

Edgewater is a great place to stay/eat.  Gas on site, good food, and accomodations are decent.  Plus, the groomer is staged there!

X2 and now they have Martin

I haven't been to Edgewater but Suds on Main had the slowest service I have ever encountered even cutting them some slack for being busy. We usually go to the Legion instead. I never did get a chance to try the Skillet.

The service should be better now at suds. Edgewater owns it (has for the last 4 years). They have improved the service allot. I didn't wait any longer then 15 mins for food on any given day I was there. Edge water was packed for fish and chip night last Friday. Still the service was fast. They were telling me winter is there busiest season and are committed to providing good service and great quality food. Try them again this winter. I will be there in February for my usual 4 day run to hailburton and back and out to parry sound.

X2 and now they have Martin

X3. Going to be a great winter and now they have special package deals per person that includes accommodation breakfast and dinner. Food was amazing. Fish and chips are the best I had in awhile. Thanks Martin and crew. Sure hope they blow out the new camping area to park trailers this winter.

The service should be better now at suds. Edgewater owns it (has for the last 4 years). They have improved the service allot. I didn't wait any longer then 15 mins for food on any given day I was there. Edge water was packed for fish and chip night last Friday. Still the service was fast. They were telling me winter is there busiest season and are committed to providing good service and great quality food. Try them again this winter. I will be there in February for my usual 4 day run to hailburton and back and out to parry sound.

It takes you 4 days to go from there to Haliburton & back??? You better put some more wax on that black thing1

• 2 months later...

Kearney O'Niel's liquor license now approved....stay tuned for opening day info, but their plan is to be open for Sledding Season soon!

Kearney's a favourite destination for us. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this?? anyone know if they are open and what your thoughts were?

Kearney O'Neils opening January 28th!  This Thursday!  WHOOHOOO!

Great thanks for the info! :)

Archived