Pickeral Lake Lodge closed

steve c

I was reading in the almaguin news yesterday, Thursday December 8th, that they have changed pickeral lake lodge to a drug and other addiction rehab centre. It had gone through a few ownership changes in the last few years. I have also noticed that a lot of the resorts up in that area are for sale. Don't know if things are bad up there or everyone is trying to sell. I believe that Silversands (Whiskey Jack Restaurant on Sand Lake near Kearney), the Sprucedale Hotel, Clearview Cottages (on clear lake between Novar and Kearney), the Caswell Hotel (in Sundridge) are all up for sale and the Grandview Resort in Huntsville will be closing in early 2012.

I was reading in the almaguin news yesterday, Thursday December 8th, that they have changed pickeral lake lodge to a drug and other addiction rehab centre. It had gone through a few ownership changes in the last few years. I have also noticed that a lot of the resorts up in that area are for sale. Don't know if things are bad up there or everyone is trying to sell. I believe that Silversands (Whiskey Jack Restaurant on Sand Lake near Kearney), the Sprucedale Hotel, Clearview Cottages (on clear lake between Novar and Kearney), the Caswell Hotel (in Sundridge) are all up for sale and the Grandview Resort in Huntsville will be closing in early 2012.

use to go to pickeral lodge...was all right back in the day....could fit in with new owners too thou

use to go to pickeral lodge...was all right back in the day....could fit in with new owners too thou

Probably the new 'guests' as well!

Still, all in all, it is sad to hear of so many places in a state of flux.

The Sprucedale? Well, that's another story. I'd much prefer to eat across the street.

Yeah, but now it might get crowded! Oh wait, no beer, maybe not!

We only know the Sprucedale in the winter

Any 'gathering place' serves a purpose. Actually, should be encouraged.

Hope these places find new, energetic, owners and that we can all raise a pint together.

Have stayed at Pickerel Lake Lodge and at Grandview on Sled Trips. Will miss them both.

The Sprucedale? Well, that's another story. I'd much prefer to eat across the street.

There's an across the street??? We don't stop at Sprucedale much because it's so close to home...but...if there's another option I might be inclined to do some short runs with wifey since we live up here now....

That sucks about the Pickeral Lk Lodge though...we have stopped there a few times...

There's an across the street??? We don't stop at Sprucedale much because it's so close to home...but...if there's another option I might be inclined to do some short runs with wifey since we live up here now....

That sucks about the Pickeral Lk Lodge though...we have stopped there a few times...

Yup. The McManus General Store. A restaurant is part of the store. They offer a decent menu and fair prices and a homey atmosphere. Daily Soup and good food. Ask for a reference from Ramsomair(sp?). He joined us there for lunch one day last year. It may have been February 3rd, 2011. E&OE.

Yup. The McManus General Store. A restaurant is part of the store. They offer a decent menu and fair prices and a homey atmosphere. Daily Soup and good food. Ask for a reference from Ramsomair(sp?). He joined us there for lunch one day last year. It may have been February 3rd, 2011. E&OE.

I wasn't allowed that far from home last year....so I moved the home :).

Well, maybe a can talk the Mrs. into taking a ride out there....she was never too crazy for the hotel lol.

Very good food no question about the fair prices and a standing museam I don't drink when I ride anyhow. I have not been happy with the spruce from time to time.

Yeah, but now it might get crowded! Oh wait, no beer, maybe not!

And you actually get food service in less than 2 hours on a Saturday...no wonder the Sprucedale has been for sale for so long.

Magnetawan Inn is no more as well, not sure if the Schmeler is still open, I think it was for sale the last time I was at the cottage. I hope there still open.

Snow in the area, please stay cold, maybe a ride next weekend on some back roads. Lets hope.

Magnetawan Inn is no more as well, not sure if the Schmeler is still open, I think it was for sale the last time I was at the cottage. I hope there still open.

Snow in the area, please stay cold, maybe a ride next weekend on some back roads. Lets hope.

Where is Magnetawan Inn ?

Wow, those are all the places we traditionally stop at as we mostly ride the Almaguin Trails. Magnetewan Inn as well as the General Store were torched last summer. Two great spots to stop in winter while sledding and the summer while boating. Have heard that the owner of the Inn wanted to re-build asap. Haven't been to Magnetewan since the fire though so not sure what has been happening. Our group was in town the day of the fire and left a hefty donation to the affected families. So very sad and a great loss.

Whiskey Jacks, very surprising that it would be for sale, the family has been there a very long time and have done a lot of work to the place, another great place to stop and eat. Haven't seen the rooms they rent there but if anything like the lodge they would be nice.

Sprucedale, another stop but usually just for a warm up on our last leg home, food not so good. Interesting to hear about the place across the street as the Sprucedale never held that much appeal for us. Mousey, that may be a good meeting spot for us to get together this winter!

Pickeral Lake Lodge, haven't been there in years. It really is too close to home to make it a stop, we did stop in from time to time on our way back around the loop towards home. At one time the food was very good but the service very slow. Pretty place though.

Edgewater Restort is still a great place to stop on Sand Lake, great people and decent food plus they have gas on site.

Many factors at play - four lane highway, less people travelling, lodges / resorts at the end of their useful cycle in terms of what the original business plan was, owner fatigue, stricter environmental regs (gas storage), lower profit margins on practically everything and business models that need changing to respond.

Once I was out on a crew covering a rodeo in a cross roads village north of Suffield, Alberta. The owner there, due to a shortage of manpower for servers, came up with a unique idea. When you wandered in and ordered a hamburger or a steak, you were handed two plates - one with side dishes and another with raw meat. A gas grill with a huge venting system was set up along one side of the bar and you cooked your own meat. The side dishes went into a microwave.

It wasn't fancy cuisine, but it was inexpensive, there were no waiters to put up with, you cooked your meat your way, and it was pleasant chatting with the other people using the grill. Dirty dishes were stacked a la McDonalds at the end of your meal.

• 5 weeks later...

Edgewater Park Lodge is also under New Management. It was sold last April to the same guy that owns the Bistro in Kearney. The place is going through major renovations to both the lodge and the cabins. Still has good food and gas :)

Have you got a plan to divert the spouses ?? ;-)

Wow, it took you a whole month to come up with that snappy comeback? Are you loosing your touch? ( hmm that is probably a really bad choice of words to be used in a reply to you) I don't have to divert mine, now I can just outrun him or at least that is what the Skidoo loyals are telling me!

Wow, it took you a whole month to come up with that snappy comeback? Are you loosing your touch? ( hmm that is probably a really bad choice of words to be used in a reply to you) I don't have to divert mine, now I can just outrun him or at least that is what the Skidoo loyals are telling me!

Pretty 'damn' snappy at my age. I didn't even see your post till tonight. LOL ! Good thing you didn't yell it out - I wouldn't have heard it either.

By the way, what is this all about, anyway ??

Speaking of "touch", I have a new girlfriend at the nursing home.

She holds the Willy all night. Ivy keeps her hand there all the time. Mabel says, "but that's what I've always done - so do I" And I says, "yes, but Ivy has Parkinsons".

Pretty 'damn' snappy at my age. I didn't even see your post till tonight. LOL ! Good thing you didn't yell it out - I wouldn't have heard it either.

By the way, what is this all about, anyway ??

Speaking of "touch", I have a new girlfriend at the nursing home.

She holds the Willy all night. Ivy keeps her hand there all the time. Mabel says, "but that's what I've always done - so do I" And I says, "yes, but Ivy has Parkinsons".

Bad mouse have another warfarin.

• 3 years later...

Asking price for Pickerel Lake Lodge right now is $3,400,000 ...

I sure miss stopping there for lunch.

Would be a real challenge to pay that loan off with filling the place with sledders and ATVers every weekend.

Archived