Zrtkat and Crew in New Liskeard

zrtkat

What a day we had started out great made it to Earlton fueled and all hell Broke loose with the weather ,blowing Snow through the open fields it was like a blizzard,could not even find the trail the snow was blowing so hard across the Fields. we got stuck in drifts 3 times .I had my doubts we where going to make it.

I have never snowmobiled in these conditions so bad , we where fortunate to  make it to New Liskeard, while we where getting our room a big group from elk Lake called and cancelled they had to turn back to Elk Lake.

Well the main thing we made it back safely,truck all loaded up now ,we are going to get a good nights rest and head back to Ohio

Well it was a Interesting trip for us this year,some dissapointments with the breakdown but it happens to everyone, we had a great trip though and will be waiting for next year to come up.

No Pics today Zrtkat was trying to find the trail

have a great week everyone

Greg

Scott

Gary

Love riding on trails next to a farmers field in winds like this !  Tough going, lucky you have longer tracks .... flatland sleds with a 121 would have lots of trouble in drifts !  

Glad you made it down, have a safe trip and see you next year !!!

Love riding on trails next to a farmers field in winds like this !  Tough going, lucky you have longer tracks .... flatland sleds with a 121 would have lots of trouble in drifts !  

See you next Year Denis

the drifts where crazy today in those fields ,happy to be here in hotel 

it was good to see you this year

Greg

Scott

Gary

Encountered same conditions 4 years ago between New Liskeard and Earleton. You really have to experience it to believe it. Crossed those fields from one stake to the next, with no discernible difference between ground and sky. Huge invisible drifts. No horizon. I understand what you went through.

good old northern ont weather,something to remember us by...always sad to see you guys leave,no pics or reports till next yr.have a safe trip home,dam cold

glenn

we did the same mission a couple years ago also in NL , running on E and huge drifts coming back from kirkland lake , wifey has not been back since ,or have I , scarey stuff for sure 

Hi Greg. I really enjoyed reading your reports again this year. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Take care. Andrew

thanks for the reports Greg. hope you guys have a safe, uneventful ride home. hope your brother is feeling better. I have been on trips with the flu, cold, and worse.... no fun. you guys take care! Ski

Glad to hear you made it back OK. I've enjoyed your reports since especially since I haven't been back up there since 2012.

We had a long day about 10 years ago. Our group of 4 split @ Timmins & 2 of us headed down TOP C to Gogama. An hour out of Timmins, it started to snow. Visibility sucked on the old C106A thru Matach' & over to TOP A. Trying to find the trail on a powerline was stressful. The fields weren't too bad, but one of the creek crossings had flooded up due to the snow weight & we had to splash thru that north of New Liskeard.

Thanks guys happy I do not bore anyone with my reports always sad to leave because it seems so long before next winter :mad:

just walked over to the truck stop got dinner,that weather out there is brutal.

I do not think too many people will be riding tommorrow with all this wind just hoping I can drive home tommorrow without any Road closures

until next year ,will be watching everyones reports and dream about next year.

Greg

Thanks guys happy I do not bore anyone with my reports always sad to leave because it seems so long before next winter :mad:

I do not think too many people will be riding tommorrow with all this wind just hoping I can drive home tommorrow without any Road closures

Greg

I don't know why you'd think we'd be bored w/ your reports. They've always been well written w/ a touch of humour. Have a safe drive home & watch out for the "idgits" on the 400 north of Toronto.

Greg

Thanks for the reports we enjoy them 

Only thing missing in this year's report was the hockey moms. Thanks for the play by play of your trip!

post-19713-0-08770000-1424001036_thumb.j

Thank goodness for stakes!

I love riding in that stuff, but not when you can't see the stakes .... not good getting off trail with a short-track sled with this much snow !!!

Greg

Thanks for the awesome reports Greg. I looked forward to reading them every night and since I have been lucky enough to have ridden all those trails,I can picture what you have described. I enjoy the pictures and trying to figure out where they are taken for the ones that don't have captions.

Hope to get to meet you some day.

PLC

Greg

Glad you guys made it back safe and sound.  I know exactly what you mean.  We have run into that twice through our riding life.  You are correct it feels like you are in a mine field.  Don't know where the heck the trail is, wondering if you are going to make it, and voila, somehow we make it.  The joys of sledding.

Thanks for all your reports.  There are many of us who love to read them and see the pics.  Take care and have a safe trip home.  Make sure you post on here that you did make it back to Ohio.  So we know our American friend is safe and sound at home.  No worries we will make sure we post videos and pics for you.  LOL

Hello from Georgia Greg. I did enjoy your reports also. Your last day reminded me of a sledding trip 5 or so years ago. Felt damn lucky to find that motel in the dark blizzard. I had the wife and young son with me and the pressure sure was on. All was good and I know where your coming from.

I'm stuck in Georgia and no one to sled Ontario with this year. Thinking about doing a 1,000 mile trip by myself this season. Glad to see you had a good trip. Drive safe.

Zrtkat, we experienced similar conditions coming down from Timmins on the Thursday before you, only we were lucky enough that it was sunny, unlike the same thing back in 2013 with grey-out conditions. Some of the trails have moved a bit, so relying only on the GPS isn't wise. 1 spot where the trail went slightly right at a T junction had the lead confused for a few minutes. I only have a short helmet cam clip from the last day as the train was passing by at the first crossing, not sure if I will post it to my You tube channel or not.

Coldest (consistent) sled week since our days of sledding up to Longlac back in 2000 for our group.

We also forgot how many times (4) the A108 and L189 cross highway 11 compared to taking the A trail from Earlton, which on a Thursday is a busy highway to try and cross with sleds. 

(Anyone find a black nylon bag with a sled cover and 2 blue bungee cords inside it up north? I'm still trying to figure out how 5 guys behind me didn't see it come off :-). )

Cheers

Glad you guys made it back safe and sound.  I know exactly what you mean.  We have run into that twice through our riding life.  You are correct it feels like you are in a mine field.  Don't know where the heck the trail is, wondering if you are going to make it, and voila, somehow we make it.  The joys of sledding.

Thanks for all your reports.  There are many of us who love to read them and see the pics.  Take care and have a safe trip home.  Make sure you post on here that you did make it back to Ohio.  So we know our American friend is safe and sound at home.  No worries we will make sure we post videos and pics for you.  LOL

extreme 600

Thanks for all your kind words,we made it back to Ohio record Time 11 1/2 hours, seems to go faster on way home LOL.When we left we talked to a couple heading to North bay that morning they rode the same trail before us about 3 hrs before , they came up on a older couple trimg to get to New Liskeard but they got stuck in the snow drift,and could not get out by themselves, the weather was crazy we where in Survival Mode trying to get through,just seeing the stakes trying to see the trail.

The older Couple called OPP and told them they where stuck in 5ft snowdrift, they asked where they where  they said 22KM out of new liskeard,they said that could be anywhere,they had been there 45 minutes before this couple came by and they managed to get them both out. That couple was very lucky that they came by.

That is why I would not Recomend anyone riding alone in these conditions I wish I could have taken a few pics to show the conditions that day ,but I was having trouble ,my side vents froze on my Modular helmet,freezing my shield could not see the trail ,finally figured out the problem cleared the ice and boom I could see again.

We always enjoy our trip to Ontario snowmobiling,we always meet the nicest people and so willing to help anyway they can if needed.

Until Next Year

enjoy the rest of the season we will be checking daily for trail Reports

Zrtkat & Crew :wavey:

Greg

Scott

Gary

Hello from Georgia Greg. I did enjoy your reports also. Your last day reminded me of a sledding trip 5 or so years ago. Felt damn lucky to find that motel in the dark blizzard. I had the wife and young son with me and the pressure sure was on. All was good and I know where your coming from.

I'm stuck in Georgia and no one to sled Ontario with this year. Thinking about doing a 1,000 mile trip by myself this season. Glad to see you had a good trip. Drive safe.

Shivesy

I know how you felt when you seen the Motel you just feel relieved and happy to be there, read my previous post to extreme600,about the cuple stuck,that is why I would recomend no one ride alone too many things can happen so fast,and the weight of these machines,you cannot get them out by yourselves,at least I could not.

Hope you get to ride this year

Greg

Zrtkat, we experienced similar conditions coming down from Timmins on the Thursday before you, only we were lucky enough that it was sunny, unlike the same thing back in 2013 with grey-out conditions. Some of the trails have moved a bit, so relying only on the GPS isn't wise. 1 spot where the trail went slightly right at a T junction had the lead confused for a few minutes. I only have a short helmet cam clip from the last day as the train was passing by at the first crossing, not sure if I will post it to my You tube channel or not.

Coldest (consistent) sled week since our days of sledding up to Longlac back in 2000 for our group.

We also forgot how many times (4) the A108 and L189 cross highway 11 compared to taking the A trail from Earlton, which on a Thursday is a busy highway to try and cross with sleds. 

(Anyone find a black nylon bag with a sled cover and 2 blue bungee cords inside it up north? I'm still trying to figure out how 5 guys behind me didn't see it come off :-). )

Cheers

Gadgetman

I did see a snowmobile cover all tore up on the trail in peices ,but cannot remember where at though,if yours was in a bag I am sure someone found it.

hopefully someone on the forum found it and get it back to you

Relaxing In Ohio thought I would come home to warm up 

Wrong -12 this morning 

good day to sit in front of the fireplace

have a great week

Greg

Thanks for the awesome reports Greg. I looked forward to reading them every night and since I have been lucky enough to have ridden all those trails,I can picture what you have described. I enjoy the pictures and trying to figure out where they are taken for the ones that don't have captions.

Hope to get to meet you some day.

PLC

PLC

same here , hope to see you on the trails one day

Greg

I rode a short track for years. Just takes me skill to keep it going! Long track I can stop in the middle of a drift and start right back up. Floatation is insane!

Gadgetman

I did see a snowmobile cover all tore up on the trail in peices ,but cannot remember where at though,if yours was in a bag I am sure someone found it.

hopefully someone on the forum found it and get it back to you

Relaxing In Ohio thought I would come home to warm up 

Wrong -12 this morning 

good day to sit in front of the fireplace

have a great week

Greg

Thanks. Well that is what Princess Auto is for here in Canada. Likely have to wait to the fall and see what colourful snowmobile covers they find to sell. Maybe they will have that blue camo one again, to match my sled - makes it easy to find the sled in the crowds...:-) Also, back to using at least 1 bungee cord on it under the luggage, as no bungee and under the luggage doesn't work 100%.

I'm glad to see our southern neighbours coming back up north, they really need the influx with the mills closing. A few years ago, our group of 6 were the ONLY sleds in the barn at the Companion...Of course the exchange rate now marks the end of about 8 years of US shopping for me..

I'm off into the garage to tighten the track and get the bricks of ice from in the tunnel out - which is thrilling my wife as I have the inside door to the garage open to warm up the garage :-).

Cheers

extreme 600

Thanks for all your kind words,we made it back to Ohio record Time 11 1/2 hours, seems to go faster on way home LOL.When we left we talked to a couple heading to North bay that morning they rode the same trail before us about 3 hrs before , they came up on a older couple trimg to get to New Liskeard but they got stuck in the snow drift,and could not get out by themselves, the weather was crazy we where in Survival Mode trying to get through,just seeing the stakes trying to see the trail.

The older Couple called OPP and told them they where stuck in 5ft snowdrift, they asked where they where  they said 22KM out of new liskeard,they said that could be anywhere,they had been there 45 minutes before this couple came by and they managed to get them both out. That couple was very lucky that they came by.

That is why I would not Recomend anyone riding alone in these conditions I wish I could have taken a few pics to show the conditions that day ,but I was having trouble ,my side vents froze on my Modular helmet,freezing my shield could not see the trail ,finally figured out the problem cleared the ice and boom I could see again.

We always enjoy our trip to Ontario snowmobiling,we always meet the nicest people and so willing to help anyway they can if needed.

Until Next Year

enjoy the rest of the season we will be checking daily for trail Reports

Zrtkat & Crew :wavey:

Greg

Scott

Gary

Sounds like a few more folks need to be buying jacks from one of my riding chumms.

http://highliftjack.com/

Archived