What's your favorite place to stay?

Shivesy

Like the the topic states, "what's your favorite place to stay" while snowmobiling the trail system in Northern Ontario.

My favorite so far to date has been ""SHINING TREE". I just love being out in the sticks. The friendly, warm cozy man cave is where I would recommend that you stay if you never have. I have only stayed there once and will always try real hard to make it fit into my route. Food was awesome and Kelly makes you feel like family.

A close runner up is the Sportsmanship Lodge north of Sudbury. Rustic bunkhouse type lodge that has me wanting to try it again. That place is huge!

A place I have not yet stayed overnight is Flame Lake Lodge south of Chapleau. Again out in the sticks and rustic surroundings. I stopped by and fueled up there last year while doing a loop. The host were so friendly and the chili was awesome. That says alot coming from a guy that doesn't care for chili. I will stay there one day. This place is on my bucket list.

What's your favorite?

Anywhere there is snow and the trails are close?

Seriously, there are many places.  Elk Lake Cabins was great last year, WestWay in Cochrane, Spectacle Lake Lodge, although we found the room a little small.

Sportsman Lodge is fantastic ..ceiling height was a little low but ..what a place ...

Food and drinks were great !

what about north adventure inn....sledjunk ?

what about north adventure inn....sledjunk ?

:umno:

I would have been willing to give it another try but local reports indicate that the owners have let Doreen go and it is sliding again.  She was trying to bring it back to a previous glory but I guess that cost money.

Apparently, the owners decided to upgrade the furnishings with used furniture from another property in Sudbury.

Have to hear some really good reports before I'll go back.  Apparently, Thrift Lodge (beside Terry's Steakhouse) is pretty good.

Flame lake lodge is a great remote stop. ernies in missanabi. for more of town/home rentals hard to beat chez gaston in dubreuilville, and you have to mention sled north vacation home rentals in manitouwadge. Ski

X2 on 3 Bears & Flame Lake Lodge.

Sheminis Lodge in Kearn's is a great pace to stay. 

The remote camp between Abitibi Canyon & Moosonee by Extreme Tours was a fantastic experience. Because of my oldtimers disease the owner/hosts name escapes me.

The small town accommodations in Nord Western Keybec deserve a special mention. It seems they're always located conveniently to the live entertainment.  :drool-1:

Valentine farms b&b chapleau & smooth rock falls bar owner rents a house to sledders

I just love being out in the sticks. The friendly, warm cozy man cave is where I would recommend that you stay if you never have.

Well I like that part too - such is why I like Halfway Haven and have stayed there even before they built there, and will likely be there after.

However - as remote as Halfway is - Yes - William Tozers camp trumps it. We tried to hit Tozer in '96/'97, but we were too early in the season.  :cry2:

Gowganda Lake Lodge is one of my favorites. Nice cottages with great hosts and the dinner delivered to your room is fantastic. Gotta be the best value going with the meal plan, can't remember the exact $$$ right now but we try hard to plan our routes around staying there.

Jim

3 Bears an Valentine Farms top the list for the whole experience. 

Post 392, 30km south of Timmins is another great place.  You will not get a better meal any where, Marie is a spectacular cook. 

Gowganda Lake Lodge , Ron and Giselle are great hosts for sure ,we have awsome ATV adventures there as well

I haven't been to too many camps but I have to vouch for Gowganda Lake Lodge as well.  Gas, fully stocked store, great food, nice warm cabins and the owners put all their hearts into running that business.  Ron volunteers for the snowmobile club as well as running the camp with Gisele.  I think if Gesele had any more energy she would explode!

Check them out here: www.gowgandalakelodge.com

X 4 for Gowganda Lake Lodge....and in the same area, Auld Reekie Lodge is also a nice spot, with great food.

Also really enjoyed our overnight stay at Cedar Meadows Resort in Timmins last year...very nice accommodations, excellent food, and reasonably-priced.

The Westway Motel in Cochrane is another fave...not fancy, but clean, comfortable and reasonably-priced, lots of parking for trucks & trailers, close proximity to gas and direct trail access, Tim's right across the adjacent sidestreet for breakfast, 10-minute walk to JR's for ribs (mmmm....!) 

Quality Inn in New Liskeard is a good spot...but used to be better when they had the on-site restaurant in operation.

Northridge Inn south of Sundridge is a very nice spot....spacious rooms and good food.

Have always enjoyed Spectacle Lake Lodge near Barry's Bay, especially the food.

Best Western on the edge of Pembroke is another good one...access directly off the trail, secure sled parking, decent on-site restaurant, indoor pool, good-sized rooms, and huge Irving gas station/restaurant right across the highway. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn type spots are okay but my wife likes them better than me. That's becoming a mute point due to the fact that she is loosing interest in snowmobiling. "something about the cold weather" anywho I must admit that some of the places mentioned above strikes my interest.

Help me out here with the name of this place. All I can remember is leaving 3 bears and heading north towards Timmins and we did a big lake crossing. We came off the lake at what camp?

Another spot was on this same route but after the lake crossing and well before Timmins. The main trail went straight but I took a left and went down (mile?) a private drive to a camp? NICE place! No one home at the camp but we were able to refuel because the pump was left unlocked. I hid the money for fuel in his work shed. My thinking was to call the lodge when we arrive in Timmons and let them know where the money for the fuel was. I ran into the camp owner on the way out, so all was good. What was this camp?

I have been to Halfway Haven and hate that they are closed in the winter. I have stayed in Chapleau a few times and keep forgetting about Valentines. Where is Tozer camp?

I have met Ernie but just passing through and had lunch there. Really nice guy. Looks like a nice place to stay.

Thanks guys for letting me know about these other nice spots to try out. I'm gonna try and work them into my next trip to Northern Ontario. Don't worry Kelly, Shinning Tree will be top priority on my route.

On really cold nights the indoor parking at Valentine"s B&B in Chapleau really tops it off when combined with the "it is your place out in the woods" feel and value (price).

The Companion with heated garage also makes for a great stop.  The kids like "nice and new with fast WiFi" like the Hampton in Elliot Lake. 

Many of the great ones are gone (Hilsport Hilton, Halfway Haven) , but I really enjoy the Auld Reekie food and atmosphere.  B&B's are usually great like those in Dub.

So many places have their own special draw like a restarant or a bar that is special.  Don't forget that Black Creek Outfitters which is clean and out in the the middle of nothing running on generator.  They are great people and have very nice cabins to stay overnight at Black Creek!  Flame Lake is great too, but we often are waiting for that part of the F trail to open. 

My favorite staging area is the Blueberry Motel and Campgrounds north of SSM on Hwy 17 in Goulais River Valley.  Again, great people.

I seem to like most if the riding is good.

FYI - There is talk that Halfway may be re-opening for winter next year.

That's all I got about that at this time.

FYI - There is talk that Halfway may be re-opening for winter next year.

That's all I got about that at this time.

although i would LOVE to see this happen... i hope they (gail and steve, or the new owners) are talking to the clubs on both ends, the disctrict heads, and the ofsc proper. if they open and the trail is not in, they will be worse off than before. plus, with no fuel in searchmont now... you would be hard pressed to make it from the soo, heyden, and or goulais to half way and vise versa. i dont see this being an easy venture to get started again. plus, the added work of a trail being closed for several years.... the re-opening process, bridges, mto, mnr permits, and just the brushing and signing will be an adventure that most clubs and districts would be hard pressed to get done without ALOT of work on the trail crew volunteers and stretched budgets, without a serious man poweer and monitary commitment from the groups involved in wanting this re-opened.

i wish them luck, i really do. Ski

Shivesy, I think the place you meant well south of Timmins (where you grabbed some fuel, left the money in the shop, and then met the owner on your way out) was likely TataChikaPika Lodge, and the owner's name is Dick Neil. 

We've stayed there twice and had good experiences both times.

although i would LOVE to see this happen... i hope they (gail and steve, or the new owners) are talking to the clubs on both ends, the disctrict heads, and the ofsc proper. if they open and the trail is not in, they will be worse off than before. plus, with no fuel in searchmont now... you would be hard pressed to make it from the soo, heyden, and or goulais to half way and vise versa. i dont see this being an easy venture to get started again. plus, the added work of a trail being closed for several years.... the re-opening process, bridges, mto, mnr permits, and just the brushing and signing will be an adventure that most clubs and districts would be hard pressed to get done without ALOT of work on the trail crew volunteers and stretched budgets, without a serious man poweer and monitary commitment from the groups involved in wanting this re-opened.

i wish them luck, i really do. Ski

There was two (2) in Searchmont, one torched the other  :back: and the second one is gone now too?   :-o

It never ceases to amaze me how someone can get it in their head that there is room for a second somethingorother in a small town. Take any town that gets their first Booger King,

2 weeks later - McD's will have a spot all plotted out. One may have been able to make a profit, but now 2 will be breaking even at best 'till one succumbs. 

Not sure that even that is a big deal. In recent yrs the newer sleds only take a cpl gallons to get enough to make it into the next town since they get so much better milage now.

Low fuel sales Shirley is one of the reasons that they have trouble justifying staying open. So if Searchmont is closed, at least those comming from The Soo or Blueberrry Hill might fill up in Halfway. 

???

Gowganda Lake Lodge 

Valentine's Farm (Chapleau)

Dunlop Lake Lodge (15 km north of Elliot Lake - lots of room to park/stage; restaurant on site)

Shivesy, I think the place you meant well south of Timmins (where you grabbed some fuel, left the money in the shop, and then met the owner on your way out) was likely TataChikaPika Lodge, and the owner's name is Dick Neil. 

We've stayed there twice and had good experiences both times.

Yes that's the place. Unique name but hard to remember. How about the lodge at the end of the lake that I mentioned earlier. Anyone know the name of that one?

Gowganda Lake Lodge , Ron and Giselle are great hosts for sure.

They are also big supporters of the snowmobile community.

I experienced 3Bears once for Lunch.  I really can't imagine staying when compared to Gowganda Lake Lodge. 

Archived