Not able to buy trail passes at the toronto show

brucebob

So how can another option work then? Well the OFSC could easily have sold passes at the show over the counter with no chance of abuse . Aphone in option for another small charge . District offices could have done it too bad that we have so little respect for our volunteers that we cannot trust them to handle permits honestly.

WB, you know the abuse has happened many times in the past.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that don't make since, why would the vender sell cheaper after the cut off date.

they would only be hurting themself to  do so.

Because it's not their money.

A customer says back date it to November 1st and here's my cash or cheque and they beat the deadline by cheating, everybody has a reason why they missed the deadline.

The online was very easy for 95 percent of the buyers, there was a few glitches yes but very few.

There is not too much money made on a $7.50 fee, credit card charge of 3 percent is a minimum of $5.00, envelope and postage another $1.00, labour and of course the software development and testing to meet stringent MTO standards.

I would be surprised if they made $1.50 each,

The Club avoids the data entry time of District charge for inputting too.

For those that cannot get it done online then the clubs may have to develop something to assist but we have had zero complaints to date so I guess it is not a big deal to most.

In fact saving $22.50 doesn't seem to big a big attraction to many.

It will be interesting to see the numbers.

OFSC memo today says Pre Nov 1st sales are very good.

We will see soon.

But with the other option there was no guaratee that vendors would stop selling the early buy on Oct 31. Some times you have to do things differently when you're saving $30. Its a lot less work for the club volunteers and we gain the info needed to know who our customers are. Not just guessing as we've done the last ten years.

Had the OFSC sold permits at the show only and online otherwise that would be a good way to alleviate the concerns of having them sold in Dec. Too bad nobody wrote that into the FFC.

I mentioned this in another thread

They should have had permits at the show like yrs past

Some body is making $$$$ on the online part

As the person above, I am sure there were many that came to the show to buy their permits

Why not give them the option, they have $$$$ and they travelled to the show to buy, not everyone uses credit cards neither

As for buying online, I bought my permit online, I have not bought anything online since 2007, I am sure there are many that have never bought anything online and never will

They did have people there with laptops that were helping people to buy permits online and walking through the process step by step and explaining to them what they were doing. Not too many people in todays world that simply do not have a credit card. I saw one couple that apparently didn't have an email so they used their daughters email address and got their permit ordered.

I wouldn't be surprised if the online only factor was a requirement of the MTO to capture information accurately, Everyone talks about how many sleds are registered and how many have trail permits. If you actually capture valid vin#s you can easily get some analytics on where the owners live the actual age, make, model of sled and so much more.

that don't make since, why would the vender sell cheaper after the cut off date.

they would only be hurting themself to  do so.

The vendors of the permits are places like your local sled dealer, gas station, restaurant etc. How would they be hurting themselves. Do you really think that in the past people didn't go to their buddy and say hey Joe... I know it's Dec 5 and I missed the early permit date but can you just back date my permit. Sure no problem... If you believe that never happened you are naiive. It didn't hurt anyone but the OFSC and the local club. Online you can't do that plain and simple.

The vendors of the permits are places like your local sled dealer, gas station, restaurant etc. How would they be hurting themselves. Do you really think that in the past people didn't go to their buddy and say hey Joe... I know it's Dec 5 and I missed the early permit date but can you just back date my permit. Sure no problem... If you believe that never happened you are naiive. It didn't hurt anyone but the OFSC and the local club. Online you can't do that plain and simple.

i didn't say it didn't happen, and i might be a bit naive maybe. i do know that the governing board don't put much thought into the way they are going to sell this yrs permits, mark my words. sales will fall large.

it was started on friday gone past, but i guessed they changed it.... :icon_hyper: im suprised the government dont do an audit on the ofsc and see were there$$$$ is spent

Actually the Government Auditors are busy assigned to checking out where the Billions of dollars in slot revenue that was given to the horse race tracks has ended up.

Great article investigating by the Toronto Star a few days ago.

Woodbine Director getting a million dollar plus salary and others sharing in $11,000,000 staff bonus.

Our Club was recently audited by OFSC Auditor and every club is done on a regular basis.

For sure it happened, so what is the problem with it? As long it is only a couple, not a big deal for me. Did it hurt us really? No. Think about what our vendors have done for us in the past. They sold almost 100% of our permits and now we don't need them anymore.

A BIG MISTAKE!

Thanks,

Greg

Not sure if it was a problem w/ my laptop, usage @ the time or what, but the process seemed very slow compared to other online purchases I've done over the last couple of years. Hopefully the site is improved before next season.

For sure it happened, so what is the problem with it? As long it is only a couple, not a big deal for me. Did it hurt us really? No. Think about what our vendors have done for us in the past. They sold almost 100% of our permits and now we don't need them anymore.

A BIG MISTAKE!

Thanks,

Greg

We still need our vendors... just after Oct 31 and for the rest of the season

Had the OFSC sold permits at the show only and online otherwise that would be a good way to alleviate the concerns of having them sold in Dec. Too bad nobody wrote that into the FFC.

It is funny how people are bringing local vendors,dealers like it is some conspiracy into the equation when we are talking about the SHOW in TORONTO where many people buy their permits in cash every year. Which would have been easily monitored and controlled

Not sure if it was a problem w/ my laptop, usage @ the time or what, but the process seemed very slow compared to other online purchases I've done over the last couple of years. Hopefully the site is improved before next season.

That was because of all the restrictions placed by the MTO

What a funny SNL clip  :-)

Thankfully we didn't have a 1-800 number with our permit rollout.

" There’s more than a glitch involved in the great national campaign to get Americans to sign up for Obamacare. The new toll-free consumer number associated with the Affordable Care Act uses an unfortunate sequence of numbers that unfortunately spells out 1-800-F*C*-YO."

(The number is 1-800-318-2596 and snopes.com has an interesting summary)

--- Caution - there are expletives in the report --- and the last paragraph of the snopes report shows American ingenuity at its best ---

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/phone.asp

We still need our vendors... just after Oct 31 and for the rest of the season

Yes, they are good enough to sell permits to the snowmobilers who don't buy online. They could also sell the $180 permits!

Thanks,

Greg

This is all about accurate data collection and I am told it was the MTO that mandated how it would be done. This way they have the correct VIN and a e-mail addy to match the R.O.. Pretty simple , its Big Brother 101.

This is all about accurate data collection and I am told it was the MTO that mandated how it would be done. This way they have the correct VIN and a e-mail addy to match the R.O.. Pretty simple , its Big Brother 101.

Not concerned about the info that was req'd, just the speed @ which the whole thing took. At 1 point I thought the site had frozen. It must've taken 2 minutes to acknowledge that I wanted to buy a permit for the 1st sled.

Funny!  The MTO requirement was never mentioned when the discussion against online only was discussed at the AGM!  The proponents of Framework for Control would have jumped all over this.

I have bought my passes locally for years.For the last several the machine vin#'s has always been requested for the paperwork and I have always had ownerships ready with me for that reason if I am going to get my passes.So why would you be able to purchase passes at 'The Show' without an ownership for the vin# anyway.This is an excuse for the pocket carriers that drive several sleds and wont put a pass on till they are caught by the OPP on the trail in my mind.This year I did the on-line purchase for one regular and one classic.Only paid the 7.50 on both.Funny thing when I first started the process they had my machine down as an Arctic Cat Phazer? So I deleted the stated sled and redid it to correct to Panther.No problem although I am a little concerned that if the MTO is involved that they would have accurate info on my sled.I've only had it registered yearly since 2006.

Kerry

Like to know who told you that. I can tell you that mto isn't really interested in accurate data collection for permits. It is the OFSC. IT ISNT BIG BROTHER, SORRY!

Thanks,

Greg

MTO was NEVER involved in that btw

Fine, but this is an MTO designated permit requiring a correct VIN. And now they have your e-mail.. Only keeping this going as I have nothing better to do...Cheers folks :)

I have bought my passes locally for years.For the last several the machine vin#'s has always been requested for the paperwork and I have always had ownerships ready with me for that reason if I am going to get my passes.So why would you be able to purchase passes at 'The Show' without an ownership for the vin# anyway.This is an excuse for the pocket carriers that drive several sleds and wont put a pass on till they are caught by the OPP on the trail in my mind.This year I did the on-line purchase for one regular and one classic.Only paid the 7.50 on both.Funny thing when I first started the process they had my machine down as an Arctic Cat Phazer? So I deleted the stated sled and redid it to correct to Panther.No problem although I am a little concerned that if the MTO is involved that they would have accurate info on my sled.I've only had it registered yearly since 2006.

Kerry

You should not have paid the $7.50 on the classic

So what if you are needing a permit for a sled that you don't own yet?  I will be buying a new-to-me sled for the kids to ride this winter but haven't yet started shopping so don't have a VIN #.  However I know I will be buying and would like to take advantage of the discount.  Am I crap out of luck?

Archived