Not able to buy trail passes at the toronto show

brucebob

So what if you are needing a permit for a sled that you don't own yet?  I will be buying a new-to-me sled for the kids to ride this winter but haven't yet started shopping so don't have a VIN #.  However I know I will be buying and would like to take advantage of the discount.  Am I crap out of luck?

yes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the OFSC sold permits at the show only and online otherwise that would be a good way to alleviate the concerns of having them sold in Dec. Too bad nobody wrote that into the FFC.

it was suggested

Fine, but this is an MTO designated permit requiring a correct VIN. And now they have your e-mail.. Only keeping this going as I have nothing better to do...Cheers folks :)

Faceman,

Where did you get that the vin must be correct?

There is no vin validation behind the vin number field.

Thanks,

Greg

So what if you are needing a permit for a sled that you don't own yet?  I will be buying a new-to-me sled for the kids to ride this winter but haven't yet started shopping so don't have a VIN #.  However I know I will be buying and would like to take advantage of the discount.  Am I crap out of luck?

Hi,

You can buy a permit and put in the info you want. You need a permit on your snowmobile but you not need to carry the papers with the brand and vin number with you. I am already happy sharpen you go out and haver permit on your new snowmobile. Maybe what I an saying isn't the way the OFSC like you to go but it works. We, West Carleton, are selling about 600 permits last year and there are about 20-25% of the permit applications without a vin number. The OFSC likes to see a correct brand, year and vin number.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi,

You can buy a permit and put in the info you want. You need a permit on your snowmobile but you not need to carry the papers with the brand and vin number with you. I am already happy sharpen you go out and haver permit on your new snowmobile. Maybe what I an saying isn't the way the OFSC like you to go but it works. We, West Carleton, are selling about 600 permits last year and there are about 20-25% of the permit applications without a vin number. The OFSC likes to see a correct brand, year and vin number.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi, I would disagree with the comment in red, you are required to carry a copy of the paperwork with you (the green copy in the past, I think, or the print-out in recent years).

We have had our paperwork scrutinized where the officer compared the VIN on the sled against the vehicle registration and the permit documentation.

I ordered 2 permits tonight and 298 were purchased in the hour between the first and second permits. No issues with the system, just had to do some stuff between permit purchases.

Only once & that was wayyyyyy back in '99 that I've ever had a warden, STOP or OPP officer or Trail Patroller ever check the VIN stamped on the tunnel of my sled. 

According to our district office... order the permit with your current vin#. When you have the new sled contact the office and they will update accordingly,

Only once & that was wayyyyyy back in '99 that I've ever had a warden, STOP or OPP officer or Trail Patroller ever check the VIN stamped on the tunnel of my sled. 

Happened to us in 2008 or 2009 outside of Apsley. Got stopped by an entourage of 7-8 MNR and police officers.

There is nothing in the MSVA that says you HAVE to carry the permit paperwork with you, although it's probably a good idea.  I have looked, and asked the cops.  It's not there as a LEGAL requirement.

There is nothing in the MSVA that says you HAVE to carry the permit paperwork with you, although it's probably a good idea.  I have looked, and asked the cops.  It's not there as a LEGAL requirement.

Very good idea, because there are always stollen permits every year, so if your permit number happes to be close to the group of numbers they lost track of, lots of time could be saved if you have the green paper...

Hi, I would disagree with the comment in red, you are required to carry a copy of the paperwork with you (the green copy in the past, I think, or the print-out in recent years).

We have had our paperwork scrutinized where the officer compared the VIN on the sled against the vehicle registration and the permit documentation.

I ordered 2 permits tonight and 298 were purchased in the hour between the first and second permits. No issues with the system, just had to do some stuff between permit purchases.

You do NOT have to have the green paper on you while riding never have had to ever

there is NO requirement nor law on that

You do NOT have to have the green paper on you while riding never have had to ever

there is NO requirement nor law on that

Yes we know... however uneducated bonehead cops on the trail don't know that, and why loose riding time well you explain this fact, or run the risk of getting a ticket and having to fight it in court.

Cops write tickets even when they are wrong..

Of freedomsledder us Odot and he is part of the Save team based in Smith Falls and he said a couple of weeks again that you don't NEED to carry it with you. Also there is no law to carry it with you. Nobody has the right to stop you on the trails and check the green paper.

Thanks,

Greg

Of freedomsledder us Odot and he is part of the Save team based in Smith Falls and he said a couple of weeks again that you don't NEED to carry it with you. Also there is no law to carry it with you. Nobody has the right to stop you on the trails and check the green paper.

Thanks,

Greg

Again, if you are at a trail side stop, and if a cop thinks you need to show your green form and tell him he is wrong, see where that gets you.

I got stopped few years back because my plate was on the tunnel, something that is alowed under the act. Cop was ready to write ticket and let a judge deside, until I finally agreed to move it.

It's a simple peice of paper, why is everyone so bull headed about things, yes you don't need it, but just carry and save yourself any posable headaches or delays.

Again, if you are at a trail side stop, and if a cop thinks you need to show your green form

It's a simple peice of paper, why is everyone so bull headed about things, yes you don't need it, but just carry and save yourself any posable headaches or delays.

this^^^^^ i always carry all docs, i dont need the trail side hassle.

this^^^^^ i always carry all docs, i dont need the trail side hassle.

I Jane about 3 feet of archived paper with me in case someone stops me and I need some paper

lol

Thanks

Greg

Yes we know... however uneducated bonehead cops on the trail don't know that, and why loose riding time well you explain this fact, or run the risk of getting a ticket and having to fight it in court.

Cops write tickets even when they are wrong..

Again how many times do cops ask for these papers

20 + yrs of riding OFSC trails NEVER have had to provide that

Why make excuse for the police

You guys must have huge issues with police on trails down in S.Ont must drive people nuts

Again how many times do cops ask for these papers

20 + yrs of riding OFSC trails NEVER have had to provide that

Why make excuse for the police

You guys must have huge issues with police on trails down in S.Ont must drive people nuts

My riding is entirely in Southern Ontario; farthest north I've ridden is Huntsville. In my limited experience, the cops here are usually pretty good. You can go days and days without seeing a cop, but if they're out, they stop as many sleds as they can manage. They won't often let a sled go past without stopping you, so you definitely get to interact with them. I've been stopped by OPP, Durham Regional, Kawartha Lakes, and Hanover.  Some exceptions, of course, but mostly friendly, professional, and just doing their thing.  

Not one has asked for the green paperwork. Which is good. It saved them some work.  I'm not a big fan of providing anything to the cops that I'm not obliged to provide. 

If one of them had cited me for missing the green paper, something that isn't a violation, I would fight it - and win. It's worth some effort to let cops know they have boundaries they must stay within. I'm a supporter of good policing, which means a balance between under- and over-policing.   Granting them more than they are entitled to is a slippery slope. 

First it's the green form they want, next it will be the bill of sale, then your T4 slip.

Ha, we are beating the green paper horse to death again eh! :lol:

Anywho, on the selling early permits after cut off date thing. Its been a few years since Ive sold permits, but it used to be that all early season permit info had to be in to the ofsc by a certain time after the cut off...10-15 days maybe??

So did it happen that someone got the deal a couple days after?, I know it did, and it can still happen at the vendor with the dec.1 price rise. That said Im sure it was not a rampant issue or that we have scads of untrustworthy vendors. 

My 2 cents :-)

Ha, we are beating the green paper horse to death again eh! :lol:

Anywho, on the selling early permits after cut off date thing. Its been a few years since Ive sold permits, but it used to be that all early season permit info had to be in to the ofsc by a certain time after the cut off...10-15 days maybe??

So did it happen that someone got the deal a couple days after?, I know it did, and it can still happen at the vendor with the dec.1 price rise. That said Im sure it was not a rampant issue or that we have scads of untrustworthy vendors. 

My 2 cents :-)

Thats exactly why we have the online thing till Nov 1. It can't happened after Fri at midnight.

I guess you didn't get my gist, I was saying that I didn't think the issue of selling after cut off was or would be that big of a deal, or enough of a concern to justify not allowing vendors to sell the early-early permits as well as online sales.

JMHO, Todd

Just ordered on line permit, now i can see some one who is not used to using a comp is gonna have big problems because of the chicken dance trying to get through the process. 

and i hope the trails don't open before dec 1st, thats when i was told the permits will be delivered.

i just got of the phone with a friend who was trying to purchase his permit and he was completely frustrated and confused with the whole process.It took me half an hour to talk him through the process. He never has bought anything on line and was not use to the terms like check out,etc. Anyhow he got one ordered after three tries. I bet there are others that have the same issues. If they open any trails before Dec 1 I will just carry my receipt of purchase that was emailed to me. :D

Just ordered on line permit, now i can see some one who is not used to using a comp is gonna have big problems because of the chicken dance trying to get through the process. 

and i hope the trails don't open before dec 1st, thats when i was told the permits will be delivered.

I tend to subscribe to a Don't Feed the Trolls outlook but I have to reply....

Presumably anyone 'not used to using a comp' would have big problems with starting the computer, connecting to the internet, finding and opening a browser, navigating to the site and using the keyboard or mouse with any accuracy.

As for the site itself, I found the process to be straight forward and simple. 

I won't lose any sleep about the possibility of the trails being open before Dec 1st. (In my dreams!)  I also doubt the validity of your permit delivery date information...It's a Sunday.

Archived