Not able to buy trail passes at the toronto show

brucebob

Went to the show to buy 2 regular and 1 classic trail passes.

I have been buying 2-3 passes for the last 10-15 years usually at the show.

When i seen the booth there, it was different. Online purchases only.[RED FLAG]

The lady that i talked to mentioned that they had the MTO approval. [RED FLAG]

Next they want a email address.[RED FLAG]

Dont remember password for email..

Dont have ownerships for the regular passes with me.

I had the ownership for the classic machine that i gave to my son years ago.

Was told that i cant buy him a permit unless im signed into his email account..

By this time im pissed off.

I came to buy 3 passes, as i have for many years.

I went home with 0 passes.

This online trail pass system sucks big time.

Would like to have bought 3 trail passes there.

Did anyone else go to the show for passes and not get them?

Why can we not buy trail passes as usual?

Last year I got 3 passes and didnt need emails or ownerships.

It was very easy and i left with 3 passes and was happy.

If you are buying a new machine, and it hasnt been delivered yet, and want a early pass. NO SERIAL # =  NO PASS

If you dont have a email account and want a early pass. NO EMAIL =  NO PASS

If you have no credit card, can you pay by cash? NO CREDIT CARD = NO PASS

I didnt see a problem with the old system.

We have a new system that doesnt  work for everyone?

NOW THE CLUBS WHERE I RIDE WILL HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING TO MAIL ME A PASS.

Not a good idea that i see.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall reading a thread about someone "going to the show" to buy a pass. Thought of writing - 'it's online, not sure you need to go just for that'. Didn't post that warning (because it was in threads all September) and regret it now.

The 'online only' was one of the more contentious aspects of this fall's AGM.  

Don't want to regurgitate the debate, but I feel for you. The OFSC data showed that the average rider is mid 40's, etc. And yet this pass was offered online only. There were many reasons for 'online only' and I'm literally closing the keyboard cover on a laptop not to get into it. Not trusting store retailers to bump up the price November 1st and inconvenience to some retailers vs. vendors who supported Ontario snowmobiling for years with in-store permit sales.

A contract was awarded to one online seller.

$7.50 per permit shipping, handling and service charge; no discount for multiple permits. Additional charges for U.S. residents.

All sales prior to Nov. 1st must be online.

Thanks for supporting the club(s). They will indeed have to absorb the cost of shipping permits to you but that was known in advance.

Thanks for 15 years of support.  I've crossed path's, and ride with, folks like you - limited email, no online purchases, faith in your bank account and no credit. You're the backbone of sledding. Don't lose the faith. 

This change was voted in by a majority of club at the AGM in Sept.

Because they are a  special price till Nov 1st and we need the info from the buyers for future changes.

Last year I got 3 passes and didnt need emails or ownerships. That has been part of the problem. we were not getting the info as to age of sleds etc.

If you are buying a new machine, and it hasnt been delivered yet, and want a early pass. NO SERIAL # =  NO PASS

We have a new system that doesnt  work for everyone? If you don't have email than I'm sure one of your buddys do. Everthing is done on line today.

NOW THE CLUBS WHERE I RIDE WILL HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING TO MAIL ME A PASS. They always did in the past, where the buyer should have been paying the shipping.

Not a good idea that i see. Bottom line is the International Center wanted $750 for Wi Fi for the weekend. I'm glad the OFSC decided not to get it. That's $$ that should be spent on the snow.

Last year I got 3 passes and didnt need emails or ownerships.

We have a new system that doesnt  work for everyone?

NOW THE CLUBS WHERE I RIDE WILL HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING TO MAIL ME A PASS.

Not a good idea that i see.

brucebob, it's unfortunate you hadn't heard about these changes.

It sounds like "change" is an issue for you. It is for almost everyone, to some degree.  We as humans need to hear about new methods, programs, requirements, etc., in advance and have time to absorb them.  I think the OFSC found itself challenged to get that info out in time, and thoroughly enough, because of cost pressures and tight time-lines with the MTO. A massive media campaign would have been nice but is very costly. So instead they used email, forums like this, word-of-mouth, club websites, etc.  All low cost but not as effective as hitting multiple media streams all at once.  

I bought my two permits online and found the system to be acceptable. Not the slickest I've seen, but acceptable.  No fulfillment system will work perfectly for everyone. It doesn't matter if it's online, telephone or a walk-up service counter, somebody will be unhappy.   Like it or not, technology keeps advancing and we either keep up or get left behind. We now live in a time when the average Joe must have email and a credit card to handle normal everyday things. The computer one uses might be a borrowed one, or at the library, but you must have an online persona and credit, to survive. 

I know two guys that are in their 40s & 50s. Neither have any interest in computers. I imagine they're ticked off @ this offer being an online only deal. I've been trying to get them to get a cheap laptop for years.

brucebob, it's unfortunate you hadn't heard about these changes.

It sounds like "change" is an issue for you. It is for almost everyone, to some degree.  We as humans need to hear about new methods, programs, requirements, etc., in advance and have time to absorb them.  I think the OFSC found itself challenged to get that info out in time, and thoroughly enough, because of cost pressures and tight time-lines with the MTO. A massive media campaign would have been nice but is very costly. So instead they used email, forums like this, word-of-mouth, club websites, etc.  All low cost but not as effective as hitting multiple media streams all at once.  

I bought my two permits online and found the system to be acceptable. Not the slickest I've seen, but acceptable.  No fulfillment system will work perfectly for everyone. It doesn't matter if it's online, telephone or a walk-up service counter, somebody will be unhappy.   Like it or not, technology keeps advancing and we either keep up or get left behind. We now live in a time when the average Joe must have email and a credit card to handle normal everyday things. The computer one uses might be a borrowed one, or at the library, but you must have an online persona and credit, to survive. 

Maybe this person feels left out. In change we should not be excluding good people that just don't want to shop online . This is not the best method . I for one will be speaking for change to how this is done .

just another scam to collect the full amount, the ofsc knew when they put in place this new system the outcome would be less cheap permits, giving the way they have to be be bought.

now most will have to pay full pop cause, of the system F/Up. I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF WE WILL NOT SEE MORE SLEDS RUNNING WITHOUT PERMITS THIS YR. it has nothing to do with not making everybody happy, what it should be is to make it available as a convenience for everybody.

Maybe this person feels left out. In change we should not be excluding good people that just don't want to shop online . This is not the best method . I for one will be speaking for change to how this is done .

Decisions get made and sometimes they don't suit everybody. I understand this.  And I too know people who won't shop online. I don't agree with their reasons but I do understand and empathize with them. In this case, anyone who can't or won't shop online can still buy a permit from their preferred club, just not the deeply discounted one.  Just like everywhere else in business, it costs money to put a person in the role of customer service rep, and it's reasonable to offer a discount for an online transaction. 

just another scam to collect the full amount, the ofsc knew when they put in place this new system the outcome would be less cheap permits, giving the way they have to be be bought.

now most will have to pay full pop cause, of the system F/Up. I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF WE WILL NOT SEE MORE SLEDS RUNNING WITHOUT PERMITS THIS YR. it has nothing to do with not making everybody happy, what it should be is to make it available as a convenience for everybody.

Do you really think it's a scam? Do you think that the governors of all the clubs - yours included - got together in a dark room and figured that by faking a discount they would make everybody happy? 

yes i do think its a scam, and no i don't think they really gave it much thought or we wouldn't have the problem, it was a system of purchaseing that worked,  what do you think

I mentioned this in another thread

They should have had permits at the show like yrs past

Some body is making $$$$ on the online part

As the person above, I am sure there were many that came to the show to buy their permits

Why not give them the option, they have $$$$ and they travelled to the show to buy, not everyone uses credit cards neither

As for buying online, I bought my permit online, I have not bought anything online since 2007, I am sure there are many that have never bought anything online and never will

yes i do think its a scam, and no i don't think they really gave it much thought or we wouldn't have the problem, it was a system of purchaseing that worked,  what do you think

I think you and I have may be using different definitions for 'scam'.  And the system you're referring to still exists. It starts on Saturday.

it was started on friday gone past, but i guessed they changed it.... :icon_hyper: im suprised the government dont do an audit on the ofsc and see were there$$$$ is spent

I got one NP...

post-19770-0-35744500-1382980691_thumb.jpg

:nana:  :poke2:  :coffeenose:

Decisions get made and sometimes they don't suit everybody. I understand this.  And I too know people who won't shop online. I don't agree with their reasons but I do understand and empathize with them. In this case, anyone who can't or won't shop online can still buy a permit from their preferred club, just not the deeply discounted one.  Just like everywhere else in business, it costs money to put a person in the role of customer service rep, and it's reasonable to offer a discount for an online transaction. 

The customer service rep is a volunteer .

Sorry but you need to get with the times. Hockey games, ball games, concert tickets and all kinds of other fuctions are bought online today. Its just the way the world turns today. The OFSC and its clubs are just catching up.+ 

it has nothing to do with getting with the times, it has all to do with making it convient for all involved. just like when you show up to the game you can buy your ticket..

i'm not putting it down that you can buy online, but they should have kept the other option avaliable as well. imo

it has nothing to do with getting with the times, it has all to do with making it convient for all involved. just like when you show up to the game you can buy your ticket..

i'm not putting it down that you can buy online, but they should have kept the other option avaliable as well. imo

But with the other option there was no guaratee that vendors would stop selling the early buy on Oct 31. Some times you have to do things differently when you're saving $30. Its a lot less work for the club volunteers and we gain the info needed to know who our customers are. Not just guessing as we've done the last ten years.

But with the other option there was no guaratee that vendors would stop selling the early buy on Oct 31. Some times you have to do things differently when you're saving $30. Its a lot less work for the club volunteers and we gain the info needed to know who our customers are. Not just guessing as we've done the last ten years.

that don't make since, why would the vender sell cheaper after the cut off date.

they would only be hurting themself to  do so.

As said previously, that "other option" is still available. It starts Nov 2 when the online discounted option closes. Anyone who is afraid of, dislikes, can't understand, or is morally opposed to completing an online purchase can purchase a permit the same way they always have, on or after Nov 2. 

that don't make since, why would the vender sell cheaper after the cut off date.

they would only be hurting themself to  do so.

Its been done for years. Suppose its Nov 10. Your looking at a new suit at a dealer that sells permits. You say to the guy, I'll buy it if you sell me a pre Nov permit. What do you think the dealer is going to do. Or a buddy in the club is approached by someone who is a personal friend for a permit after the date. pretty hard to turn him down., don't you think. 

The customer service rep is a volunteer .

Maybe. What I was thinking of was the fulfilment company providing the service. In that case, the CSR is paid. Now if the service were provided by OFSC volunteers, every task performed by a volunteer has a value, because performing it takes that volunteer away from something else. 

As said previously, that "other option" is still available. It starts Nov 2 when the online discounted option closes. Anyone who is afraid of, dislikes, can't understand, or is morally opposed to completing an online purchase can purchase a permit the same way they always have, on or after Nov 2. 

thats not the other option i was referencing, the other option was buying at a vender or show the discounted permits, i think you knew what i was meaning . but anyways go to it.

So how can another option work then? Well the OFSC could easily have sold passes at the show over the counter with no chance of abuse . Aphone in option for another small charge . District offices could have done it too bad that we have so little respect for our volunteers that we cannot trust them to handle permits honestly.

Archived