Breaking News!!! No Northern Loop for Next winter.

The Groomer Guy

Let's also look at the changing demographics. We have an aging population and at some point in time those sledders will drop out due to health and other concerns. There are indeed die hards who will die with their helmet on.

I attended a conference last week and got some interesting stats from the provincial government presentation. 40% of the population of Canada live in Ontario. This next one surprised me. Approx. 55% of the population of Ontario were born elsewhere. Of that 45% that were born here a large portion of that are 2nd generation or perhaps 3rd of families that were born elsewhere.

Now I am not a racist, just a realist, how many of these diverse ethnic groups do you see even considering snowmobiling or venturing to cottage country. Reality is camping, cottaging, boating and snowmobiling tend to be dominated but not exclusive to the WASPish community which in reality is shrinking. We have a smaller pool of potential sledders from which to draw.

now things are starting to make sense.

what you fail to recognize is, you're hypocritical figures posted must also include you, if your people (family) are not aboriginal people of ontario.

that must have been some "seminar".

Ski

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So where does it stop. On a 100kph road people are doing 120kph. If the limit is raised to 120kph how much do you want to wager that suddenly people will think it's just fine to be doing 140kph and so on and so on.

People will travel at whatever speed the police allow! If they allow 140 then that is the speed everyone will travel. Quite simple really. It is the police themselves that are setting the speed limit by not enforcing the posted limit. So if the police do not agree that the 100kmh limit is the limit to follow then why post it as such. Post it at 110 and ticket past 116. Double the fines and raise the demerit points past 120. I garantee you will see a difference in short order.

Its no different then your take on enforcement of trails. The 200 dollar fine is less then the permit and has no teeth! The fine should be 500 bucks and double on the second offense with half that money going to the clubs. So in a sense I agree with your enforcement strategy but the fine is cheaper then the permit so no moneys for the club and nothing but more cost to the club in the case of stop officers who can't be expected to bear the cost of travel, fuel, food and lodging. Been there saw that!

Let's also look at the changing demographics. We have an aging population and at some point in time those sledders will drop out due to health and other concerns. There are indeed die hards who will die with their helmet on.

I attended a conference last week and got some interesting stats from the provincial government presentation. 40% of the population of Canada live in Ontario. This next one surprised me. Approx. 55% of the population of Ontario were born elsewhere. Of that 45% that were born here a large portion of that are 2nd generation or perhaps 3rd of families that were born elsewhere.

Now I am not a racist, just a realist, how many of these diverse ethnic groups do you see even considering snowmobiling or venturing to cottage country. Reality is camping, cottaging, boating and snowmobiling tend to be dominated but not exclusive to the WASPish community which in reality is shrinking. We have a smaller pool of potential sledders from which to draw.

I had to look up w.a.s.p.

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) is an informal term, sometimes derogatory or disparaging,[1] for a closed group of high-status Americans mostly of English Protestant ancestry. The term implies the group controls disproportionate social and financial power.[2] The term WASP does not describe every Protestant of English background, but rather a small restricted group whose family wealth and elite connections allow them a degree of privilege held by few others.[3]

When the term appears in writing, it usually indicates the author's disapproval of the group's perceived excessive power in society. The hostile tone can be seen in an alternative dictionary: "The WASP culture has been the most aggressive, powerful, and arrogant society in the world for the last thousand years, so it is natural that it should receive a certain amount of warranted criticism."[4] People seldom call themselves WASPs, except humorously; the acronym is typically used by non-WASPs

Where as my ancestory is English I don't quite fit any of the rest and I'm not sure many do! But I am born outside this province. I came here like most (the 55%) when Ontario was still a have province. The stats on the 40% that where born here, their grandparents where born elsewhere puts you back to the late 1800's early 1900's. They where still offering free land to those who would work it back then. Two world wars have been fought since then. Huge influx of English German Ukrainian Polish Russian ect. They settled all over Canada. Huge amount in the prairie provinces. As farming was not lucrative most of the youngsters moved to find work. Ontario was popular for work as far back as the 50's or further and stayed that way till Alberta became the hot spot for work.

So the people you talk of are the people from the sand nations for the most part. Not the europeans as before but india arabia ect. No maybe not racist but a bit of a steriotype as Most of the people I talk to in the GTA hate winter and anything to do with it. 99% of those are of european decent! My son in laws parents think I'm nuts to like winter and love sledding. In fact the whole family thinks I'm crazy to go out in -20 to -30 temps. Every time I visit down there Torontarians shudder when I talk of my love of the winter sport. No when it comes to winter even people up here in the north think snowmobiling is a sport for crazy people who like the cold. Most just go from on heated box to another oblivious to what fun is outside in the winter. Yet a huge amount here and down in the GTA think camping cottaging and boating are fun.

I'm thinking that your just a little off on you thought process! I don't agree on race playing a large role in who likes winter. To many second and third generation Ontarians who hide indoor all winter to put a race thing on it. Right here there are a large number of Asian people whos kids are starting to like the winter and what is has to offer. I'm thinking demographics play a large part in who we get involved. To say east indians will never sled because of their race is off base a bit and a failure on our part.

Days are getting shorter :console:

And how many of those 45% are now sledders?  I fall into that 'large portion' as do a number of sledders that I know.  This country and province is built on the influx of immigrants throughout our history.  I am sorry, but throwing out demographics like that is BS.  The president of the Club of the Year is from one of these 'diverse ethnic groups'.  This is NOT a race related sport, and comments like this are not the statements of a 'realist'.  I'll leave it to you to add the appropriate label.

I am just looking at the statistics and realize that the demographics of our population are shifting. The biggest shift of all is the aging baby boomers. I actually quite enjoy the multi cultural society we line in. I had a great time a couple of years ago speaking at the fall sled show with a family who had just moved here from Mexico. They were there for their kids. They wanted them to enjoy everything that Canada has to offer. I believe you will find them to be the exception of for example people immigrating from Mexico for example. The reality I am looking at is there is a greater tendency among those from what are typically considered tropical or desert climates to avoid winter. There are always exceptions. If there is an opportunity to get them to embrace winter perhaps we have an untapped opportunity for growth in the sledding world.

Slomo expressed much better the point I was getting at. There is a significant part of the population that is an untapped potential market and sledding is not something they are likely to have very little awareness of how much fun it can be.

Exactly.  Same "problem" we have here.  We have to cater to their ways and traditions and all of that crap.  If you want to live here, learn how to live here; speak our language, live by our values and contribute to our society, or leave.

Part of the reason the northern trails are so important, they will be the trails that will be there for the duration.  As demographics change, like Bramladesh, so will snowmobiling.  It may go first in the north due to politics/funding, but the south is sure to follow due to environmental concerns and those changing demographics.

I am just looking at the statistics and realize that the demographics of our population are shifting. The biggest shift of all is the aging baby boomers. I actually quite enjoy the multi cultural society we line in. I had a great time a couple of years ago speaking at the fall sled show with a family who had just moved here from Mexico. They were there for their kids. They wanted them to enjoy everything that Canada has to offer. I believe you will find them to be the exception of for example people immigrating from Mexico for example. The reality I am looking at is there is a greater tendency among those from what are typically considered tropical or desert climates to avoid winter. There are always exceptions. If there is an opportunity to get them to embrace winter perhaps we have an untapped opportunity for growth in the sledding world.

And i say that that has more to do demographics. Asian kids born and raised in this area will take to snowmobiling and ice fishing just like the rest that are raised here. It will not be everyone but even in the anglo euro mix only a portion embrace the cold.

If your friend sleds you might sled! It is catching in both directions!

The trail speed limit is a bit a of a nuisance.  Nobody goes 50km.  The sleds will hardly cruise that slow.  My boy and I got pulled over last year near Cochrane and got nailed at 103 km by a nice old gentleman  (OPP). Talked him in to one ticket between the 2 of us.  

This past winter My boy got pulled over on the Sequin doing the RAP tour doing 90 km by the SAME officer.  He split the ticket between the 4 of them and said where you going boys?  He said North Bay.  Officer said: "Oh a good hour and a half should get you there".  The boys reply " Not at 50 k it won't.    Even the guys writing the tickets aren't thinking straight.  I wonder if he drove 50 k to get to the perch behind the tree. 

Good report, martin1.

".. a good hour and a half.." Makes you wanna shake your helmet.

Good report, martin1.

".. a good hour and a half.." Makes you wanna shake your helmet.

That is easy. Just take top trail 11 north. 4 lanes wide and smooth, smooth. Now I know why people buy thR wheels!

OPP stopped myself and a friend just leaving Marathon about 8 years ago for a registration check and told us about a strech of trail not too far out of town where you could hold it to the bar for good distance. I hope he was not giving out any speeding tickets that day. Really nice guy. We talked for a while.

OPP stopped myself and a friend just leaving Marathon about 8 years ago for a registration check and told us about a strech of trail not too far out of town where you could hold it to the bar for good distance. I hope he was not giving out any speeding tickets that day. Really nice guy. We talked for a while.

That's how it was.  With the impending death of snowmobiling in the north; those days will soon be behind us.  The OPP's will have had a full day of dealing with those who have no regard for snowmobiling. and will simply issue tickets.  We're all a pain in the ass.

Well the good part about the close of the OFSC trails is no more speed limits. The limits are for trails, no trails no limits.

Exactly.  Same "problem" we have here.  We have to cater to their ways and traditions and all of that crap.  If you want to live here, learn how to live here; speak our language, live by our values and contribute to our society, or leave.

Part of the reason the northern trails are so important, they will be the trails that will be there for the duration.  As demographics change, like Bramladesh, so will snowmobiling.  It may go first in the north due to politics/funding, but the south is sure to follow due to environmental concerns and those changing demographics.

Yep together we stand divided we fall!

• 3 months later...

Glanced at the Interactive Guide and the trail closure west of Timmins looks more vast as an image.  When you actually see the gap west of Timmins, it's alarming.

Luc mentioned in his blog that they're trying to get something going for 2014-15. Fingers crossed.

175 trail miles from chapleau to timmins closed. its a long way accross there. effectively kills the "big loop"

Ski

175 trail miles from chapleau to timmins closed. its a long way accross there. effectively kills the "big loop"

Ski

It's to bad. But were going to do the run from Cochrane-Wawa this season, and hopefully next season we can do the entire Loop! Fingers crossed..

The trail C101F, I think it was named, was a beautiful trail to ride. 

Half of it was "quick" and half was twisty.  

The town of Foleyet will never see this winter traffic again.  The Restaurant.  The convenience store.  The rental units. 

Where is the OFSC on this matter ?  Where is their Lobbyist ??

Regrets in life ---

Not doing something when you had the chance.

This is one of them. 

________

Regrets in life ---

Not doing something when you had the chance.

This is one of them.

________

Really sad. A few people can't do it all in this case. I don't blame the ofsc. I blame the lawyers and insurance companies. So much signage regulation now, Audits etec, clubs with low man power are really struggling. In the end, it was irresponsible sledders that have caused us all

this greif. Move forward and hopefully no more area's close either.

While 16 is closed I don't think it is done! Getting the volunteers to open it up and maintain it again is the hard part. I can dream I guess because before I die I want to ride one big loop all the way around the entire OFSC system starting in 17 and ending back here! I figure bettween 3 and 4 thousand miles or roughly three weeks of riding. I have done most of the logistics but then 16 closed and threw a wrench into it!

While 16 is closed I don't think it is done! Getting the volunteers to open it up and maintain it again is the hard part. I can dream I guess because before I die I want to ride one big loop all the way around the entire OFSC system starting in 17 and ending back here! I figure bettween 3 and 4 thousand miles or roughly three weeks of riding. I have done most of the logistics but then 16 closed and threw a wrench into it!

wasn't it a combination of not selling the minimum number of permtis required to remain a member club as well as the lack of volunteers.

Sign me up! 

Forrest Gump (Canuck version)

wasn't it a combination of not selling the minimum number of permtis required to remain a member club as well as the lack of volunteers.

Yep! As volunteer interest wained so did the permits! As permit sales wained so did volunteer interest. One fuels the other! At this point if you do not get the volunteers to open the trail you will not sell any permits. So the hard part now is getting volunteer interest to fuel permit sales! 

Yep! As volunteer interest wained so did the permits! As permit sales wained so did volunteer interest. One fuels the other! At this point if you do not get the volunteers to open the trail you will not sell any permits. So the hard part now is getting volunteer interest to fuel permit sales! 

exactly always a catch 22

another scenario

close local loops also = less permits yet if you don't have the $$$ or volounteers you can't expect to have these loops

Is the trails there for the traveling tourist or are they there for the benefit of the local ridership

it cost money and takes man power to have trails

Archived