Maple Syrup - close to GTA?

Canuck

Is anyone aware of a maple syrup operation close to Toronto?

I want to take family to see the tree tapping, boiling process (10-1 reduction, as I recall).

Is there anything close to Toronto?

I've done some research, and Elmira (too far) has a festival this weekend.

More interested in a farm than festival, but any leads would be appreciated.

one by my place....hr from 401 & 400....too far

My birth mom has a small operation but I don't think they did anything this year.

Canuck, it's been a terrible and very short season for syrup in this neck of the woods. Most around here stopped a week or more ago and only ran for a week or so. It got too mild (hot) too fast without too many nights above zero. Significant drop-off in volume.

Worst year ever.

Kortwright Center in Vaughan does some type of festival, not sure if its what you're looking for.

I want to take family to see the tree tapping, boiling process (10-1 reduction, as I recall).

Not for a couple of weeks yet but a short detour on the way to the cottage

http://www.elmvalemaplesyrup.ca/festival.html

Thanks for the information.

We're looking for something this weekend, and judging by STG's comments, probably shouldn't wait too much longer.

White Dragon - what's the place one hour from 400 and 401?

Shaw's Maple Syrup and Pancake House on Oro line 14 east of Hwy 11 south of Orillia.

Also the one by White Dragon on the west side of Hwy 11 on Oro line ? just north of the Guthrie arena just north of BarrieI believe.

I believe Shaw's has the more interesting operation and more fun for kids.

Thanks for the information.

We're looking for something this weekend, and judging by STG's comments, probably shouldn't wait too much longer.

White Dragon - what's the place one hour from 400 and 401?

i'll check & see if their still open this wk-end...its a small operation on hwy 11 just past gasoline alley on southbound side between 3rd & 4th con

Shaw's Maple Syrup and Pancake House on Oro line 14 east of Hwy 11 south of Orillia.

Also the one by White Dragon on the west side of Hwy 11 on Oro line 4 just south of the Guthrie arena just north of Barrie.

I believe Shaw's has the more interesting operation and more fun for kids.

FYI, the Shaw sugarbush was shown and a family member was interviewed on last night's Barrie (CTV Two) news...he stated that their production had now officially ended because the sap stopped running so quickly. So, I'm not sure what maple syrup-related activity, if anything, they'll be able to offer this weekend...better check before going.

Canuck, we've been to the Elmira maple syrup festival numerous times over the years, and it's really a good time, so I would strongly urge you to re-consider it.

Depending on where you are starting from in the GTA, you can be there in less than 1.5 hours....go up the "back way" through Guelph, and then across to Elmira, which we've found saves a bit of time vs going up through K-W. You basically park wherever you can find a spot on the back streets and walk the few blocks into downtown where the festival is centred. If you do go, I'd suggest you plan to leave the city early, as it is a very popular event, and deservedly so.

It's a huge street festival (they close the entire main street through Elmira's downtown), plus they offer tours to local sugar bush operations, so you can see the whole production process. However, this year maybe different, given the weird weather pattern...not sure what luck you'll have anywhere in southern Ontario with seeing maple syrup production still in process.

Good luck.

Kortwright Center in Vaughan does some type of festival, not sure if its what you're looking for.

We've been and they do a great job for the kids. Modern operation with hoses running from the taps and a modern evaporator and old style, carry buckets with a yoke and boil the kettle over an open fire. Website says the festival is still on but you may want to call. http://maplesyrupfest.com/

Canuck, it's been a terrible and very short season for syrup in this neck of the woods. Most around here stopped a week or more ago and only ran for a week or so. It got too mild (hot) too fast without too many nights above zero. Significant drop-off in volume.

Worst year ever.

The Glob and Mule shares this opinion:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/maple-syrup-producers-sour-on-warm-weather/article2385026/

i grew up in Elmira, and if your going to go best to be early.

If the weather is good the crowds are crazy.

Parking is ok, there are free hay wagon rides from parking lots to the downtown festival.

Good Food EVERYWHERE LOL

I never considered heading up to Elmira through Guelph. Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, group. More than enough info. for this weekend.

Canuck, you could try Mountsberg Conservation area in Campbellville, ON, CA. If the sap isn't flowing the bird of prey is pretty cool

• From Highway 401 go south on Guelph Line. Turn west on Campbellville Road for 4 km and then go north on Milburough Line for 1 km to park entrance.
  • From Highway 6 or Guelph Line, follow Campbellville Road to Milburough Line and then go north for 1 km to park entrance.

http://www.conservationhalton.ca/events.cfm?itemid=3512

See how sap is magically transformed into sweet, sticky syrup and smell the fragrant steam rising from simmering kettles

•Learn the secrets of Maple Candy making and taste FREE candy samples

•Enjoy piping hot pancakes smothered in fresh maple syrup outdoors under our pavilion nestled in the woods

•Slide, climb, jump and run in the Play Barn

•Encounter Mountsberg's resident raptors in live demonstrations in the Raptor Centre's bird of prey shows at 11am, noon, 1pm, 2pm & 3pm

•View bison, eagles, hawks and owls along the Wildlife Walkway

•*ALSO* Enjoy a guided horse drawn wagon ride through the sugar bush! $3.00/adult, $2.00/child

Admission

Adults: $7.25

Children (ages 5-14): $5.00

Seniors (65+): $6.25

Children 4 & under FREE

Hours of Operation

Park opens at 9:30am

Maple Town is open to visitors from 10am to 4pm

For Directions or More Information

Please visit our Mountsberg page

Used to go to Mountsberg every year! It was great! Eat pancakes and sausages outside in the frosty Wintry air...ow $hit...while tanning and in a tank top...but seriously, Mountsberg is a neat place.

Forcast calling for +7 C in Elmira so its going to be a busy day there.

Well if you've come that far, drop by and I'll tap my Maple Tree ;)

Production is finished in Elmira. Has been for a few weeks. So that is a bummer. I find the festival is a big flea market these days. Took me forever to find pancakes last time I was there.

Production is finished in Elmira. Has been for a few weeks. So that is a bummer. I find the festival is a big flea market these days. Took me forever to find pancakes last time I was there.

I believe the past few years the pancake tents were set up behind the MACs gas bar down town, west side of main street. The lines moved pretty steady but if you get there after 9am it could be a while.

Might be up there myself, visiting parents and fogging sleds down for the summer.

I believe the past few years the pancake tents were set up behind the MACs gas bar down town, west side of main street. The lines moved pretty steady but if you get there after 9am it could be a while.

Might be up there myself, visiting parents and fogging sleds down for the summer.

Mac's isn't mac's any more. They tore it down and built a new convenience store with fuel either Petro Canada or Shell (can't remember) .

You are correct that the Pancake Tents are behind that location.

The Sugarbush Tours appear to be leaving from the new arena/Community Centre They aren't getting any sap from the trees anymore this year (early season) but will still be boiling at the bush.

Try the Apple Fritters smothered in syrup if you go.

Mac's isn't mac's any more. They tore it down and built a new convenience store with fuel either Petro Canada or Shell (can't remember) .

You are correct that the Pancake Tents are behind that location.

The Sugarbush Tours appear to be leaving from the new arena/Community Centre They aren't getting any sap from the trees anymore this year (early season) but will still be boiling at the bush.

Try the Apple Fritters smothered in syrup if you go.

Are you sure? i believe the new station is still a Mac's

Archived