Childhood Sledding Memories

revrnd

Seeing as we aren't making a lot of memories right now, how 'bout posting some from when we were kids?

I remember before we had a snowmobile, that my mother came home from downtown Oshawa and telling my brother & I after school that there was a Ski-doo in the lobby of the Bank of Montreal. We were very excited as we knew what that was, but hadn't seen many or been up close to 1. We were probably 7 & 5 years old @ the time. A day or 2 later we go downtown w/ her to see the Ski-doo. Imagine our disappointment when the snowmobile turned out to be a Fox Trac. "Mom, that's not a Ski-doo, that's just a Fox-Trac!!"

LOL

My first sled memories were when my dad bought a new yellow 8 HP. Hus-Ski to use in his business in the early 60's. He used it to take bush owners on a tour of their stand when he was buying trees from them.

My brother and I used it to terrorize the people of Mossy's village. 4 horsitise took use on to the 12 horsepower version a few years later. From their it was 12 hp. Elan's then a 292 Elan followed by the SS250 Elan twin with twin carbs.

WOW, we sure had alot of fun riding pretty well anywhere anytime as the snow back then pretty much covered all the fences.

We had both an Olympic and an Elan 250. My dad would always put me in front of him and drive it around. I'd say for every hour of use we got out of the Olympic, there was 5 hours of maintenance.

It used to backfire out the carb so much that my snow suit had burn marks all over the front!

I remember my father replacing broken motor mounts (flat cold rolled steel plates), internal clutch repairs, rebuilding Tillotson carbs & broken bogie springs on those old one bangers.

I remember getting my first sled in the fall of 93. It was a rare xcr 440 special. Light and fast for it's time. I was only 15. I put 5500 miles on it and never put it on a trailer. Started riding in November and rode until early April. I remember riding with no jacket on and we still had several feet of snow. That was the only excellent winter we have had.

wow,the flood of memories,,,,awesome thread,,,,

1967 my dad brought home a 1968 Boa-Ski Cobra,,,18 breathtaking horsepower,,,2 and a half inches of trail flatling bogey suspension,,,,man we were living large,,,,I rode that sled day and night,,mixing the oil and gas in the can,,,,

my dad bought a 74 moto-ski 295...first sled with slider suspension...bought at bennet marine on kingston rd...rode mostly around mt forest area...back in the day

In the early 70s a trip from Apsley over to The Trappers Inn & back took all day. A few years ago I think I did a round trip in about 2 hours.

Blackstar, you stole 1 of our pics. The old man's sled & that looks like my snow suit LMAO!

My first sled memories were when my dad bought a new yellow 8 HP. Hus-Ski to use in his business in the early 60's. He used it to take bush owners on a tour of their stand when he was buying trees from them.

My brother and I used it to terrorize the people of Mossy's village. 4 horsitise took use on to the 12 horsepower version a few years later. From their it was 12 hp. Elan's then a 292 Elan followed by the SS250 Elan twin with twin carbs.

WOW, we sure had alot of fun riding pretty well anywhere anytime as the snow back then pretty much covered all the fences.

Funny you should mention hus-ski! A couple of weeks ago one went throught the feild across the road from here!

As for my memories, well dad had a 72 boa ski and sold it a week before my twelveth birthday. I was completely heart broken and so began my love for snowmobiling!

Dad bought a used '66 Ski-doo Olimpique (10.5 Hp) from a guy at work in fall of '66. He bought it primarily for ice fishing but we went out to some local fields and I got to drive it a bit. I would have been about 11 at the time.

That sled was a real problem though and by the end of the season, Dad and my uncle split the cost of a new '67 Super Olimpique (14.5 HP!!!!!!)

I rode that thing after school until about 72 when it burned up in a fire. He then bouth a '72 Evinrude Norseman 437 (437 cc 27 HP) That machine was ugly but it worked. It was one of the first with CD ignition and would start on the coldest of days with just a push of the primer and two pulls max. I could then leave it idle and help pull on my friends 'doos. Had a lot of fun on that sled.

post-19777-0-17158800-1326298882_thumb.jpg

I used to go out sledding with my cousin on Sunday's in a field north of Puslinch. My uncle bought a 74 (i think ) Elan, with the 'coon on the side of it. On the first ride my cousin dumped me off the back and all I remember was seeing the tail-light vanish into the horizon (my gloves stuck under the seat strap) and me walking for what seemed like hours to find him, through waist high snow. I think I was like 6 at the time. Bought my first sled in '87, a Polaris Sprint 340, upgraded to the Indy lite and then Indy 500. Got out of the sport for a few years then back in recent years.

I think I have posted this some before...but being a lot younger than most that have posted...

I remember lots and lots of quick start and my father teaching me ratio's and fractions, while trying to determine the premix for the sled. but most of all I remember coming back from elementary school in the afternoons (early 80's) amd waiting dressed in my snowsuit for my father to get back from work. I remember my first pair real "snowmobile boots" my dad found them in the clearance bin at the old AJ's Equipment on Airport Rd. I would clean the machines off (at the time it was a mid-70 Motoski and a snojet) I would sit ontop of the machine a imagnie that I was riding by myself. dad would come home and he would start it up and we would ride until dinner....After I could ride by myself we had a 75 AC Cheetah 400, the Snojet and later on a ski roule 440 (man that thing flew, with 2" suspension). We would ride all day and into the night. We did our chores for gas and oil.

Most of all I remember never hearing about the OFSC and the rules and regulations and we never owned a trailer, we rode from the house when there was snow, or we did not ride at all.

Great topic

1973 Moto Ski Futura 440.

Dad purchased it from the local gas station in Balm Beach, where a dealership was set up in a garage bay.

Thank you Mr. Lesperance for venturing into the snowmobile business. You provided a start for many of the riders still on the trails.

earliest sled memories for me is in mid-seventies, my grandfather had a yamaha dealership running out his garage, as a kid i didn't know the difference just a line of white sleds apread across the front lawn on cty rd 45 in havelock. i would take the one with the most fuel the head across the road to the horse farm and run arounf the 1 mile oval, after he gave up selling sleds i had a gpx and a 77 tnt 440 anda orange moto-ski to ride up until i was 12 years old or so and my friends st the time hsd rupps elan olimpique, days of lots of snow and we were always burning up the lakes in the area good times

My earliest menory was up at my grandparents farm in Owen Sound, Dad was going to take me for a ride on his new 1977 Polaris TX 440. We headed off behind the house and tractor shed. I clearly remember the deep snow and powder coming over the hood when all the sudden the machine stopped runnning. Dad thought i bumped the kill switch but it was something else. So we had to WALK al the way back to the house in deep fresh powder ! I was 3 and that was the longest walk of my life!

Turned out some electrical harness wasnt fully clipped together from the factory and popped off on our ride.

Getting tired thinking about that walk now but it didnt stop me from loving the sport.

Climbed out of a empty boat Sept 1980 form Northern Ireland,used to race scrambler's(dirt bikes) back home,and our first winter 80/81 we saw these things flying around the fields,Dad browwer a couple from his boss that yr to try this new adventure,and the weekend after our first ride Dad had a 74 TNT 340 for me and a 74 TNT440 FA for himeself.The rest is History gave up the dirt bikes(now that made dad a little upset as he had brought me a new CR250 as soon as we arrived here)Dad and Myself had done alotb of riding together over the yrs I have alot of great memories with my father,Hes 70 rides a DOO 1200 till this day and sit enjoys a trip away with the Family/Boys.Also have alot of great memories with my wife as she is a sledhead also and the two girls(twins)they have been riding since they

were about 2yrs old,they are turning 10 next week,I have lots of great memories from this sport and have ment alot of great people along the way and great friendships.

I remember lots and lots of quick start and my father teaching me ratio's and fractions, while trying to determine the premix for the sled.

BTDT

A few years ago I was @ a friend's place who was a younger cousin of a another friend. It was an old farmhouse that he & his wife had cleaned up. One time I'm visiting & we're all talking about sleds (probably the middle of July LOL). Paul gets up & goes to the basement. Comes back up the stairs w/ an unopened, yellow, 1 quart bottle of Ski-doo oil. He asks me (being the oldest person there) if I'd ever seen 1. I said a lot of them! I told them that was the oil we used back in the late 60s/early 70s when the pre mix was 25:1. You just poured the whole jug into the 5 gal' can.

BTDT

A few years ago I was @ a friend's place who was a younger cousin of a another friend. It was an old farmhouse that he & his wife had cleaned up. One time I'm visiting & we're all talking about sleds (probably the middle of July LOL). Paul gets up & goes to the basement. Comes back up the stairs w/ an unopened, yellow, 1 quart bottle of Ski-doo oil. He asks me (being the oldest person there) if I'd ever seen 1. I said a lot of them! I told them that was the oil we used back in the late 60s/early 70s when the pre mix was 25:1. You just poured the whole jug into the 5 gal' can.

After Mom passed away a few years ago, my brother and I were cleaning out the storage cabinet in the garage and came across a couple of QUARTS of old Castrol 2 stroke oil. It, too, was for when we mixed at 25:1 (or sometimes 20:1). I still have at least one of them on my shelf! An actual steel oil can!

My foundest memory is going to bars and asking hot girls if they like snowmobiling.. I had two sled at our farm and sledded with girls almost every weekend.. It was the bestestest time!!!!! I did the same thing in the summer with our horses :)

My foundest memory is going to bars and asking hot girls if they like snowmobiling.. I had two sled at our farm and sledded with girls almost every weekend.. It was the bestestest time!!!!! I did the same thing in the summer with our horses :)

You went sledding with horses in the summer???? :lmao: :lmao:

Archived