Haliburton Forest conditions?

coolbane

• LuvMyViper changed the title to Haliburton Forest conditions?

They posted a video yesterday mid morning.  Trail rock hard.  Some bare ground but overall, the base survived.  Most lakes completely flooded.  Open for atving.  Not sledding again until they get a couple inches of new snow.  I'm not there so stand to be corrected, but thats what the video showed.  She was out traveling on the atv.  Sounds like they missed the rain.

Thanks for the video., my buddy ZR had already mentioned that video.  Given that I want to ride, the base looks pretty decent in that video, LOL

However, it would be good to hear from someone who has actually ridden in there.

I'll probably go there tomorrow regardless. If anyone wants to come along, let me know. 

To each their own, but I don’t know how they could be open with how things look up there.

It's not good at all near the base camp. Way further north actually not too bad . Will be icy in the morning.   Inner and outer loop decent all considering.  We got rain Friday but didn't lose too much base.  Didn't do Havelock loop but should be good

• Like 1

Thanks Stonehaven, that's' the info I needed. Your feedback sounds consistent with the video.

Looking forward to hitting snow/ice/snirt/rocks/dirt. At worst, its just a waste of time and money, LOL. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coolbane said:

Thanks Stonehaven, that's' the info I needed. Your feedback sounds consistent with the video.

Looking forward to hitting snow/ice/snirt/rocks/dirt. At worst, its just a waste of time and money, LOL. 

Definitely beats sitting on the couch!

• Like 3

It will be interesting to hear your reports,  pretty sure I'll know what it be.  You're a sledder who wants to get out.  Wish I could join you tomorrow.  Enjoy    

I rode 190 km in HF yesterday.  Definitely not recommending for the fair weather sledders.  Fortunately I’m not in that group yet, so I had a great ride.  
More than half the trails were fairly rough; either mild washboard or rutted from sled/quad traffic during the +10 last week. 
A fair amount of exposed rocks and bare spots, but most of these could be ridden around. 
Not many water cuts, and were easy to cross.  
I had my old carbides/ski on, I probably would be less happy if I had the 2024 carbides installed 

it was icy, I had the scratcher down pretty much all day. Any time I put it away, the engine temp immediately jumped from 70C to 90. 
Some trails were bad and some were good, unfortunately I do t remember the names of the bad one.  
A great ride, glad I got out. 

IMG_7157.png

IMG_7154.jpeg

IMG_7150.jpeg

IMG_7149.jpeg

IMG_7146.jpeg

IMG_7145.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you got out, good report on the trails.  Pretty much what I thought.

Looks like about a 1" of snow has fallen so far this morning.  Hoping they get the 10-15cm they are calling for!

• Like 1

After replacing a bunch of bent studs and a brand new set of carbides from my week in quebec, I am not in the right frame of mind to ride sh-tty trails any time soon.   

My Lynx can stay parked if thats all that there is to ride.    

22 minutes ago, scottyr said:

After replacing a bunch of bent studs and a brand new set of carbides from my week in quebec, I am not in the right frame of mind to ride sh-tty trails any time soon.   

Those are wear items anyways. As long as you don't rip studs out of track I say it's not too bad. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Those are wear items anyways. As long as you don't rip studs out of track I say it's not too bad. 

I do not agree with many of your thoughts, but this one, I do!

to each their own though, I get how some will have a hard time swallowing the pill of trails less than ideal, while others consider it the cost of sledding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Yep we rode 3 days in Quebec and did most likely 2 seasons of wear and tear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

What part of the province were you riding?

3 minutes ago, signfan said:

What part of the province were you riding?

Mont Laurier - North.    Lots of rocks on the trail.    Beat the crap out of my studs and carbides.   

I would ride those conditions if I really wanted to get out - but my sled would hate it and overheat like a motherfuXXer

• Like 1

I don't mind frozen dirt ,ice ,snirt ,even the odd bare rd but hitting big rocks all day

is definitely not fun .

• Like 1

Calling for lake effect after the snow thursday👍

• Like 7