Clean Fuel Standard

signfan

On 7/16/2023 at 10:46 PM, Strong Farmer said:

I am starting to think premium isn’t safe to buy any more, because it’s slow moving and contains E. That’s perfect recipe for extra water into fuel no doubt. 

I've had the same feeling at low - traffic gas stations. Still use premium in the sled in that scenario, but it's a " hmmm " moment. 

My sled has only ever had premium.

Wifes vehicle only premium - which we get from Costco

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

E too in it now.  Not sure how much premium Costco sells. Mostly bikes buy it and never see them there. 

If Costco weren't selling a good volume of premium you can bet they wouldn't offer it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If Costco weren't selling a good volume of premium you can bet they wouldn't offer it.

Only one type of gas in tanks at Costco all regular. Premium octane boaster is injected into stream of gas as it comes out of tank I was told. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

E too in it now.  Not sure how much premium Costco sells. Mostly bikes buy it and never see them there. 

Might be where you're located.

Our Costco is typically loaded with vehicles that only take premium. No concern for me.

For the sled, we either jug in from town or hit Sprucedale - which in the wintertime, I'm not concerned about for Premium and it's never been an issue.

If has E in it, it has E in it, nothing I can do.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Only one type of gas in tanks at Costco all regular. Premium octane boaster is injected into stream of gas as it comes out of tank I was told. 🤷🏽‍♂️

That is not correct.

I know people who deliver there.

• Haha 1

Many of the performance vehicles with higher comp. ratios today that you see on the road, require premium - Costco is definitely catering to those clients too.

There is no injection of octane booster going on...

Here is a Q&A from their website:

What products do you sell?
Regular unleaded (87 octane), Premium unleaded (91 octane), and Diesel (at select locations only).

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Many of the performance vehicles with higher comp. ratios today that you see on the road, require premium - Costco is definitely catering to those clients too.

There is no injection of octane booster going on...

Here is a Q&A from their website:

What products do you sell?
Regular unleaded (87 octane), Premium unleaded (91 octane), and Diesel (at select locations only).

That new 1025hp Crashler runs on E85 preferably.

Degraded to 950hp (?) if ran on premium gas.

(alcohol is a cooling agent)

38 minutes ago, Ox said:

Never heard of it, must have low comp engine though. 
yes alcohol is, ever seen alcohol funny cars, just stupid amounts of power.

7 hours ago, Ox said:

E does burns at a lower temperature then regular gasoline. It also burns faster and more complete then regular petro. Even if it burns cleaner might take 5 percent more to get sane mileage as regular petro? So is evironment really benefiting. I use to buy premium for no e and better mileage. Now that’s non existent with e in it 🤣

The rubber hoses, carb gaskets and seals in old motors are not going to live long with regular ethanol exposure. As for making horse power? Ethanol by weight is approx 70% of petroleum so if your fuel metering is not capable of adapting to this like a FlexFuel vehicle is then you make quite a bit less power if running ethanol laced fuels on a petroleum fuel curve/tune/calibration. Even if you dial in the air fuel ratio for ethanol properly you still wont see any real horse power gains from ethanol vs petroleum unless your static compression ration is high enough to make use of the extremely high octane ethanol has. The one huge advantage ethanol has over petrol is in boosted applications because alcohol is cold and when vaporized you get latent heat evaporation with cools the air down. Think intercooler on a turbo car but in the fuel for basically free. Under boost? Cant really beat e85 or even better straight methanol just be prepared to be gagging on the methanol fumes. Yuck

In short for hi-perf applications that are not properly calibrated for ethanol theres no gains to be had, and almost always there will be power losses.

• Like 1

the tuner, and turbo crowd loves e85, higher octane, lets them bump timing/ignition curves. they are not looking for fuel economy, just horsepower. 

as I said before, it will take some time but, you will see more places carrying, non E rec fuel (at a very premium price). it will take some time for those places to trickle into the canadian market but, it "should" come.

our rec fuel here is rated for at least 90 octane (out of the pump). generally a fresh batch is going into the ground tanks at 91-93. It's all I buy, all I use for all our powersports toys. dirt, street bikes, sleds, boat engines, weed whipper, chainsaw, even my 2019 tacoma, is tuned for rec fuel. it is about .80-1.00 per gallon more than regular 87 pump fuel but, the peace of mind for fuel related issues is almost zero. I dont have to add stabil, seafoam, nothing.

I had a saw I forgot about, it sat for almost 2 years with rec fuel mix in it. I shook the saw to "remix" the oil in it... it started on the 2nd or third pull, and idled. try that with eth fuel and any additive. 

ski

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ox said:

2 hours ago, crispy said:

The rubber hoses, carb gaskets and seals in old motors are not going to live long with regular ethanol exposure. As for making horse power? Ethanol by weight is approx 70% of petroleum so if your fuel metering is not capable of adapting to this like a FlexFuel vehicle is then you make quite a bit less power if running ethanol laced fuels on a petroleum fuel curve/tune/calibration. Even if you dial in the air fuel ratio for ethanol properly you still wont see any real horse power gains from ethanol vs petroleum unless your static compression ration is high enough to make use of the extremely high octane ethanol has. The one huge advantage ethanol has over petrol is in boosted applications because alcohol is cold and when vaporized you get latent heat evaporation with cools the air down. Think intercooler on a turbo car but in the fuel for basically free. Under boost? Cant really beat e85 or even better straight methanol just be prepared to be gagging on the methanol fumes. Yuck

In short for hi-perf applications that are not properly calibrated for ethanol theres no gains to be had, and almost always there will be power losses.

I did not know that E85 had such a high octane (100), I just looked it up, never had before!

Always assumed it was regular gas with more ethanol, but than again, ethanol does add octane and why it, alcohol and methanol are used in full race applications, but they tear things done regularly due to the damage it causes, etc....and of course there are the fumes as well that you mentioned.

So also makes sense with high comp performance engines using it based on the high octane it has, and that are set up for its use of course.

So learned something new today about E85!

E85 was available at the pumps here in Ontario for a few years around 2010 but it didnt sell well and the shelf life inst great so the stations that carried it ceased. In engines regularly run on E85 upon tear down they are often coated with a slimy jelly and I mean slime! It has its drawbacks and no matter what the green nonsense is, it generates more net carbon than it saves due to the farming carbon cost. Its really like the blue bin/green bin rackets its just a scam trying to get more $ out of people

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ox said:

You were talking about the Dodge Demon (Chrysler product) - been a very impressive offering from them over the years no doubt!

39 minutes ago, Ox said:

What's the car worth?

5 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

What's the car worth?

$130,890

The 2023 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon 170 will be available at a Canadian manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $130,890 (excluding destination and fees). Ordering for the Challenger SRT Demon 170 will close on May 15, 2023. Customer orders certified sold at MSRP will receive priority scheduling

If I recall the last time they released the older versions of these, all sold out fast and then the popped back up for sale for more of course.

For a purpose built drag car, that can also be a daily driver, that is impression to apparently run just shy of 9s @ 150 MPH on a prepped strip - will need the chute option though if you run that MPH on any sanctioned strip, plus a cage, which I do not see in the video, but might also be a option by the looks of it.

58 minutes ago, LuvMyViper said:

$130,890

The 2023 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon 170 will be available at a Canadian manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $130,890 (excluding destination and fees). Ordering for the Challenger SRT Demon 170 will close on May 15, 2023. Customer orders certified sold at MSRP will receive priority scheduling

Its too bad more places don't have an "autobahn" or something similar to it.

Such a waste of horsepower to be driving around on a road in Ontario

2 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

My friend bought two 25th Anniversary Harley many years ago. He rides one and the other one is still in the crate. He said it was the best investment he ever made

I'm kinda thinking about buying one as an investment...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Perhaps a reason "stunt" driving charges have increased so much.....

There are sanctioned tracks around people can go to, to stretch the legs of these vehicles if so inclined......cars like this are perfect for that actually, built to allow the owner to drive to the track, race and than drive home - no dealing with truck, trailer, etc......

130,000 Loonies sounds awfully cheap to me for such a vee-hickle.

MotorTrend had a writ this last month or so about a new Bugatti.

THAT was just as impressive'a read!

That was just short of 1600 HP, V16, 64V, and quad (purty sure) turbo's!

Test driver was trying to hit 250, but on that day it's only go 245 MPH. 

Test track @ shuttle landing in Cape Canaveral, Florida. 

That's also an impressive car, but at $1.4M (?) USF, it really doesn't matter much anyhow.

But this Dodge is reachable by a LOT more people!

With all that said - I don't have a need for speed or racing.

There is always someone with more time and money to devote to being first.

But I can appreciate the engineering behind the results.

I don;'t need to be first, but I sure don't want to be last!

1 hour ago, Ox said:

130,000 Loonies sounds awfully cheap to me for such a vee-hickle.

MotorTrend had a writ this last month or so about a new Bugatti.

THAT was just as impressive'a read!

That was just short of 1600 HP, V16, 64V, and quad (purty sure) turbo's!

Test driver was trying to hit 250, but on that day it's only go 245 MPH. 

Test track @ shuttle landing in Cape Canaveral, Florida. 

That's also an impressive car, but at $1.4M (?) USF, it really doesn't matter much anyhow.

But this Dodge is reachable by a LOT more people!

With all that said - I don't have a need for speed or racing.

There is always someone with more time and money to devote to being first.

But I can appreciate the engineering behind the results.

I don;'t need to be first, but I sure don't want to be last!

Similar to a Vette - considering its performance offerings, price well compared to other super cars......and I am sure the same can be said for the Mustang.