Haliburton Forest - Thoughts/Conditions

Chickey6.archived

Main Trails are pretty good but get beat down by the afternoon.  It's very busy in there as well.

Side trails need more snow

OPP were in there last week pretty much pulling everybody over, my daughter got a speeding ticket for doing 70k

1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

Main Trails are pretty good but get beat down by the afternoon.  It's very busy in there as well.

Side trails need more snow

OPP were in there last week pretty much pulling everybody over, my daughter got a speeding ticket for doing 70k

Wow that sucks.

1 minute ago, windsurfnut said:

Not to start an argument to condone or defend either side of this, but what jurisdiction would OPP have on speed limits in the forest?   

I have been in there several times and been stopped by opp. They usually go in and do a blitz every so often. They told me they judge speed by thier eyes so obviously they weren’t in there to hand out speeding tickets, but to check paper work and insurance and ensure you had paid for day.   
Lots of people just ride in and don’t pay and use trails for a few hours and leave. So they do blitz’s every so often to catch these people. Strictly paid by forest as it is private. If you had a can and racing around in there, I am sure they would come up with some sort of extra fine. 

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I have been in there several times and been stopped by opp. They usually go in and do a blitz every so often. They told me they judge speed by thier eyes so obviously they weren’t in there to hand out speeding tickets, but to check paper work and insurance and ensure you had paid for day.   
Lots of people just ride in and don’t pay and use trails for a few hours and leave. So they do blitz’s every so often to catch these people. Strictly paid by forest as it is private. If you had a can and racing around in there, I am sure they would come up with some sort of extra fine. 

Yes, I can totally understand checking paperwork, insurance, trail passes etc, and drunk riding.  Guess its tough to distinguish  between those infractions and speeding, especially in a private area where speed limits are not provincially posted (I'm assuming).  I could totally see OPP handing out dangerous/careless driving for those with excessive speeds, but I doubt in a situation like Stonehaven's daughter (posted above) was throttle jockeying around the forest with excessive speeds.  Geez OPP doesn't even pull people over on the railbed for much less then 100km/h.

24 minutes ago, windsurfnut said:

Not to start an argument to condone or defend either side of this, but what jurisdiction would OPP have on speed limits in the forest?   

Not really sure if it's private property how they would enforce Ontario speed limits.

21 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

Not really sure if it's private property how they would enforce Ontario speed limits.

Most of the OFSC trails are on private property... it's enforceable there. If the owners of the forest want it enforced I imagine it would be the same situation or perhaps the MSVA in fact applies there as well.

22 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

Some areas have posted speed limits.  

My guess would be when you sign the liability form you agree to abide by conditions.  One being no speeding.  
And 2 no cans allowed.

And 3 valid insurance.  

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

Most of the OFSC trails are on private property... it's enforceable there. If the owners of the forest want it enforced I imagine it would be the same situation or perhaps the MSVA in fact applies there as well.

That would make sense, if MSVA applies.  

There was 2 OPP, one doing radar and other guy basically checking paperwork.  Couple of Forest guys assisting.

When she got pulled over there was already 12 sleds ahead of her waiting.  Her Mother didn't like advice I gave her if that happens next time.  lol

16 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Some areas have posted speed limits.  

My guess would be when you sign the liability form you agree to abide by conditions.  One being no speeding.  
And 2 no cans allowed.

And 3 valid insurance.  

Yup all true

It is the forest that requests the OPP to be in there doing enforcement on their private property....at least that is how I recall how it used to be.

They used to have a guy that would enforce things, I recall he always wore an Orange one piece snow suit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stoney said:

It is the forest that requests the OPP to be in there doing enforcement on their private property....at least that is how I recall how it used to be.

They used to have a guy that would enforce things, I recall he always wore an Orange one piece snow suit.

I think every since they had a few serious accidents insurance is probabily mandating they do some enforcement using police force. That is just a guess. In past years ago never heard of police being in there. I believe someone was seriously hurt on north road, hit a big rock doing c note. Not sure if he had been drinking or not, just remember seeing sled pics from various people that were there that day. I have been in there about 7 times or so. Usually poker run day. Never see police that day either. 

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Usually poker run day. Never see police that day either. 

You will never see them in there for the Poker Run

30 Years ago people (and our group) used to go ride there because police would not be in there.

Lots of fun was had. Poker run weekend was a crap show.  

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I wasn't talking OFSC trails.   Private property.  I've never been to the Forest before so I wasn't sure how it operated.

2 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

I wasn't talking OFSC trails.   Private property.  I've never been to the Forest before so I wasn't sure how it operated.

Doesn't matter. No different than driving a car; these are motorized and licensed vehicles, hopefully with insurance :).

MOT rules apply. 

7 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Doesn't matter. No different than driving a car; these are motorized and licensed vehicles, hopefully with insurance :).

MOT rules apply. 

In the forest or on private property? 

1 hour ago, SRXChris said:

I realize that... the question was can the OPP enforce the speed in Haliburton Forest since it's private property. My observation was that BOTH the Haliburton Forest AND most of the OFSC trails are on private property yet the OPP enforce the speed on the OFSC trails on private property so why wouldn't they be able to enforce the speed on the Forest trails as well. Especially if they are in there at the request of the owners and possibly even there on paid duty.

Is there a map of the trails in the forest?

How many km of trail to they have ?

2 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Maps on there site and all snake trails for most part all over place, east and north trails are straight and fast get into and out of main access area’s.  They claim it is 400 Km’s and forest is size of Barbados’s island basically. 

7 minutes ago, soupkids said:

https://www.haliburtonforest.com/interactive-trail-maps/

Screenshot_20210104-181417_CarryMap.jpg

The above image is just a screen capture.

Edited by Blake G